"The Lion King (2019 Live-Action)" Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
Those visuals are beautiful. Some of the shots looked like actual animals. I'm still not sure how I feel about a live action remake of The Lion King, but that was a pretty cool teaser trailer.

Reactions: 1 person

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
Admittedly I'm still not really sure how to feel about a Lion King remake that's a CG/live-action hybrid instead of a full-on animated remake, but the animation looks really nice and the nostalgia of hearing James Earl Jones as Mufasa and the Circle of Life was pretty great :).

Reactions: 2 people

RainbowCupcake

The (Not So) Bad Guy
Dec 3, 2017
United States
Yeah, I'm with everyone else on the fact that the visuals look epic. I have to say that I thought this teaser was better than Aladdin's given that we got to see much more. It's amazing what these animators can do.

Toon4Thought

Giving a slightly closer look.
Sep 3, 2013
As competently made as this film looks, I am getting a little sick of seeing Disney remake so many films in their animated canon. Like, it's hard for me not to worry that all these will basically damage the public perception of animation (even though that's probably not Disney's intention), since they would just come off as more 'kiddy' by comparison on face value alone.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
As competently made as this film looks, I am getting a little sick of seeing Disney remake so many films in their animated canon. Like, it's hard for me not to worry that all these will basically damage the public perception of animation (even though that's probably not Disney's intention), since they would just come off as more 'kiddy' by comparison on face value alone.
I'm not sure if that would happen. Despite the financial successes of these live action remakes, the receptions have been generally mixed aside from The Jungle Book. They exist to capitalize on the nostalgic fondness people have for the animated movies and I haven't really heard of people recommending these live action movies over the original animated movies. I can still understand the concern, but at the same time, it just seems too unlikely to me to worry about how people will dismiss the animated movies or animation as a whole.

Reactions: 1 person

Dr.Pepper

Sep 10, 2006
In A House
There is a rumor flying around that the plot and particularly Scar’s character has been heavily altered.
Supposedly, Scar was exiled from the pridelands for accidently killing his father as a cub. Later on he is in a fight with Mufasa and accidently pushes him off a cliff. He is crowned king and goes mad with power. Also the Hyenas are not his sidekicks from the start.
Allegedly, Nala gets a new song, which is totally expected given the fact she is voiced by Beyoncé.

RainbowCupcake

The (Not So) Bad Guy
Dec 3, 2017
United States
There is a rumor flying around that the plot and particularly Scar’s character has been heavily altered.
Supposedly, Scar was exiled from the pridelands for accidently killing his father as a cub. Later on he is in a fight with Mufasa and accidently pushes him off a cliff. He is crowned king and goes mad with power. Also the Hyenas are not his sidekicks from the start.
Allegedly, Nala gets a new song, which is totally expected given the fact she is voiced by Beyoncé.
Well that sounds dark. And it would also stink considering
I really enjoyed the hyenas as sidekicks in the original movie.

SpaceCowboy

Mar 2, 2002
USA
Visit site
Well, atleast now he's less like his Kimba counterpart Claw. Scar seemed like he was pretty much a carbon-copy of him before.
Oh, I hope they don't make her dance.

the greenman

Jul 24, 2006
the point of no return
I'm not sure if that would happen. Despite the financial successes of these live action remakes, the receptions have been generally mixed aside from The Jungle Book. They exist to capitalize on the nostalgic fondness people have for the animated movies and I haven't really heard of people recommending these live action movies over the original animated movies. I can still understand the concern, but at the same time, it just seems too unlikely to me to worry about how people will dismiss the animated movies or animation as a whole.
Judging by their decision to send Lady & The Tramp and others to streaming, I think it's a short window for these. Personally, I'm annoyed of Disney snatching up Fantasy novels and hoping on a franchise (i.e. Narnia, John Carter, and the upcoming Artemis Fowl). For some reason, I feel they need to reinvent those animated classics into franchises instead of just remaking them. I hear "The Sword in the Stone" is another one ready and that to me clearly screams franchise series potential.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

SpaceCowboy

Mar 2, 2002
USA
Visit site
Judging by their decision to send Lady & The Tramp and others to streaming, I think it's a short window for these. Personally, I'm annoyed of Disney snatching up Fantasy novels and hoping on a franchise (i.e. Narnia, John Carter, and the upcoming Artemis Fowl). For some reason, I feel they need to reinvent those animated classics into franchises instead of just remaking them. I hear "The Sword in the Stone" is another one ready and that to me clearly screams franchise series potential.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
Regarding the live-action Sword in the Stone, it would be the perfect opportunity for them to go back to the T. H. White novel and make it more faithful than their animated version was. It's not clear whether Disney adapted the 1938 version of the book or the later 1958 revised one in The Once and Future King.

Last edited:

ShadowBeast

May 9, 2013
Elizabeth,NJ
"Be Prepared" is included:

I think there might've been enough complaints for Disney to change their minds about the song. Which I'm glad since Be Prepared is one of favorite songs from the film.

Reactions: Frontier

sun

You stay, I go
Aug 11, 2001
Somewhere out there
The Lion King is still scheduled to be in theaters...July 19, 2019... In about 6 months..At least that is what is out there. today 2/7/19

RainbowCupcake

The (Not So) Bad Guy
Dec 3, 2017
United States
The trailer has been released.
Darn, you beat me to it by a minute. :)

Anyway, hahaha I can't believe this is actually happening. The animation is nice...but I don't know if it will work as well here as it did in The Jungle Book. That movie was meant to have elements of live action and animation, but this just looks like a blatant copy of The Lion King but in CGI animation. I mean, pretty much every line in this trailer was pulled straight from the original movie. Of course, the actual movie will differ from the predecessor in certain ways, and I hope the writers can combine the original idea with some newer ideas, rather than relying on copy and paste.

Status
Not open for further replies.