The Lion Guard - News & Discussion Thread

Latest News

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World
Describing this series as The Lion King meets The Avengers sounds both hilarious and awesome to the point where I instantly want to watch it. Granted, part of it is also because of my immense fondness for The Lion King in general, but describing the series like that works in attracting attention, even though it was probably to get people excited by bringing up something as popular and successful as The Avengers.

Klon's design also kind of reminds me of Kopa from those Lion King books I heard about a couple of years ago. At least there is a bit more effort here to make him not look so much as a young Simba with a bit more of a mane. The paw mark on his arm is a pretty nice touch too. I'm going to guess that this takes place in its own continuity given that Klon is mentioned and is the lead character, but Kiara is not. Either that or they could say that Simba and Nala had another cub sometime after the events of the sequel.

MDawg

Nerfariously planning
Aug 26, 2001
Ratings
815 4
Not of your damn business
www.zimed.net
Is there really any expectation of anything more than the standard "Stare at the screen as kids figure out 'difficult' things" like where the red tree can possibly be? Calling it Lion King meets the Avengers seems to be pumping it up as something it will unlikely be. Especially not on a channel for pre-schoolers.

ILDC

May 18, 2013
Ratings
inlibdingcolor.tumblr.com
Is there really any expectation of anything more than the standard "Stare at the screen as kids figure out 'difficult' things" like where the red tree can possibly be? Calling it Lion King meets the Avengers seems to be pumping it up as something it will unlikely be. Especially not on a channel for pre-schoolers.
Disney Junior seems to be more about morality stories than Dora the Explorer-style education.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World
I have to wonder why Disney created a new character for the lead role instead of just re-using Kiara and/or Kovu, and describing The Lion Guard as being "The Lion King Meets The Avengers" sounds like little more than a ploy to get kids to tune in. I'm honestly not expecting this series to be anything along those lines.
They probably wanted to use a new younger character instead of re-using characters from a sequel that's over ten years old as the show's main character to attract more attention.

Dudley

Staff member
Aug 10, 2003
Ratings
2,660 28
East Coast of USA
www.dtoons.com
Disney churns out all those cheapquels and disregards the characters like the cheap products they are. Huh.

Anyhoo, hearing them mention Avengers makes me wish they'd just take a Marvel property and just make a preschool show based on it. Boys would eat it up like crazy.

May 18, 2013
I was just about to post the topic. I like the animation. The plot sounds more like Kimba the White Lion branded with Disney. The plot of Kimba was to unite the people and animals in harmony and peace. They'll probably go into details about what they have to save the savannah from but that was one of my first impressions I got from this. I would like to think that Kiara and Kovu will make a guest appearance whether in cub or adult form. However,since this is another cub entirely, I would think Disney just made an AU for this show.

ILDC

May 18, 2013
Ratings
inlibdingcolor.tumblr.com
I was just about to post the topic. I like the animation. The plot sounds more like Kimba the White Lion branded with Disney. The plot of Kimba was to unite the people and animals in harmony and peace. They'll probably go into details about what they have to save the savannah from but that was one of my first impressions I got from this. I would like to think that Kiara and Kovu will make a guest appearance whether in cub or adult form. However,since this is another cub entirely, I would think Disney just made an AU for this show.
Whatever sells a whole bunch of toys.

May 18, 2013
^At least they put somewhat of a story in it. It looks like an interesting project. For the record they might be able to make something if they dig up TLK 2 to promote toys.