The Lack Of A Wonder Woman Series: Why Is That?

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
So, with the announcement of a possible series centered on the Amazons, the question has been reignited: Why has there not been a Wonder Woman animated series? Those like Superman and especially Batman have had their share of animated series. Those like Green Lantern (specifically Hal Jordan) and the Teen Titans have gotten their own tv shows. Even Harley Quinn gets her own series. The closest thing would probably be the DC Nation shorts (which are, well shorts, and only about 3 of them) and the DC Superhero Girls tv shows (where she's the main character, but they're ensemble shows focusing on different aspects of DC lore). With that said, why doesn't she have an animated series? Tell me what you think.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I think it comes down to merchandising. Execs (probably correctly) believed Wonder Woman and her female adversaries would not be able to sell action figures to boys. What only very recently has been tried out is the idea of making superhero and action shows for girls. I understand why it hasn't been done before. But the climate is right for it to be done now.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
She's the least interesting character of the trinity.
She's either depicted as being idealistic to a fault, which leads to boring characterization within even the most acclaimed adaptations, and/or she's a bit more spunky with the strongest pension towards violence.

Maybe that's why they're doing an Amazons show to develop the lore around her.
Perhaps she is still a key player in that if they don't wind up doing the Superman & Batman prequel treatment.

TheDorkKnight

I think it may have to do with the overall gendered nature of superheroes. Generally, superheroes are tailored for boys. I remember growing up as a young girl always getting odd looks for loving Batman and the Justice League. Despite the advances in gender, girls are thought to like princesses and boys like superheroes. From this perspective, the lack of a Wonder Woman series may stem from the perception that there is not a market for a superhero show with a female lead. Shows for children are meant to sell toys. So if studio executives don't think there is a market, then a show will not follow.

However, I think these notions are changing and superhero content is losing its gender appeal with it becoming popular among all children. I feel today we are closer to having a Wonder Woman series as the perceptions of women are changing. Wonder Woman would serve as an excellent role model for both boys and girls, and I hope we can change the way superheroes are perceived.

Otaku-sempai

I think that Matt raises an important point. Look at how poorly Mattel handled their toy line for Avatar: The Last Airbender, badly neglecting the show's strong female characters or treating them as mere fashion dolls. The one serious (failed) attempt at a Wonder Woman series re-imagined her as the leader of a Sailor Moon-type team. Not surprisingly, Wonder Woman and the Star Riders never made it to series.

What might make an Amazons show interesting to me is if it is set during the period when Diana is a young girl being raised among thousands of aunts and big sisters. That does raise the question, though, of what stories could be told at a time when Paradise Island was still hidden from the outside world, and how long before the writers run out of interesting ideas?

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I think that Matt raises an important point. Look at how poorly Mattel handled their toy line for Avatar: The Last Airbender, badly neglecting the show's strong female characters or treating them as just fashion dolls. The one serious (failed) attempt at a Wonder Woman series re-imagined her as the leader of a Sailor Moon-type team. Not surprisingly, Wonder Woman and the Star Riders never made it to series.
Merchandising is what kids shows have been down to for decades. Netflix has changed that type of thinking, but execs being afraid that Wonder Woman couldn't sell toys and t-shirts is the only reason she's never been commissioned a serious solo series.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
What might make an Amazons show interesting to me is if it is set during the period when Diana is a young girl being raised among thousands of aunts and big sisters. That does raise the question, though, of what stories could be told at a time when Paradise Island was still hidden from the outside world, and how long before the writers run out of interesting ideas?
There's a bounty of Greek mythology that comes to mind. If it doesn't take place on the island, you can conceivably do it the way Dofus does it. Heck, I wouldn't mind a series that details the inception of Themyscira.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
It's kind of funny, but I think Wonder Woman is like a mix of Captain America (the patriotic motif, backstory, etc.) and Thor (the Greek or Norse mythologies). Neither of those characters had their own animated series since the mid-60s, and have only settled for guest-starring roles or being part of an ensemble cast. The same goes for Diana, with only elements of her comics and supporting cast occasionally being featured in the Justice League shows.

#TeamMike

Because Wonder Woman is more of an icon than an actual character (unpopular opinion, I know).

It's the same reason why it took till 2017 for her to get a live-action film on the big screen, or why she doesn't have a video game.

khuddle

Maybe its because WW is such a wildly inconsistent character?

* She can fly, and yet none of the other Amazons, including her ma Hippolyta, can fly.
* She can fly, and yet she requires the services of an airplane. An invisible one, no less.
* She's an Ancient Greek Amazon, and yet her costume bears the markings of the American Flag.
* She's equipped with "Lasso of Truth", but the lasso was invented by the Native American Indians, a full continent away. Greek warriors did not use lassos.

I love WW as much as the next guy, but her character needs a major overhaul.

Last edited:

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK

* She can fly, and yet none of the other Amazons, including her ma Hippolyta, can fly.
* She can fly, and yet she requires the services of an airplane. An invisible one, no less.
* She's an Ancient Greek Amazon, and yet her costume bears the markings of the American Flag.
* She's equipped with "Lasso of Truth", but the lasso was invented by the Native American Indians, a full continent away. Greek warriors did not use lassos.

Her recent overhaul definitely made her closer to the Greek lore. I don't think she flies in the movies rather just leaps really high and far. And in the cartoons, they've given her that magical girl treatment.

Otaku-sempai

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the lasso or lariat has other historical precedents as well. It was used in Egypt, Mongolia, by the Huns, the Tatars and by the Sami people of Scandinavia. And they are referenced in Greek histories in connection with a folk named the Sagartians.

Some of Diana's abilities have been explained away by Perez and others as unique to herself.

hobbyfan

I think it may have to do with the overall gendered nature of superheroes. Generally, superheroes are tailored for boys. I remember growing up as a young girl always getting odd looks for loving Batman and the Justice League. Despite the advances in gender, girls are thought to like princesses and boys like superheroes. From this perspective, the lack of a Wonder Woman series may stem from the perception that there is not a market for a superhero show with a female lead. Shows for children are meant to sell toys. So if studio executives don't think there is a market, then a show will not follow.

However, I think these notions are changing and superhero content is losing its gender appeal with it becoming popular among all children. I feel today we are closer to having a Wonder Woman series as the perceptions of women are changing. Wonder Woman would serve as an excellent role model for both boys and girls, and I hope we can change the way superheroes are perceived.

Considering that for much of her life, Wonder Woman has been both a princess AND a superhero, she straddles that fine line when it comes to advertisers' perceptions. David E. Kelley, a respected producer, tried a live-action remake a few years ago, and couldn't even get the pilot on the air.

@Mostezli: Wonder Woman? Least interesting? In the words of one Homey D. Clown, excuse me, I don't think so.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
@Mostezli: Wonder Woman? Least interesting? In the words of one Homey D. Clown, excuse me, I don't think so.
Of the trinity, this unfortunately seems to be the case. We know what can heighten her presence, but that doesn't change her history of adapted exposure.

Also, are you talking about the same tv pilot with Adrianne Paliki in the role?
That's gotta be one of worst DC-related productions.

TheDorkKnight

I think by giving Wonder Woman an actual television series to develop we can make her less inconsistent. A TV series can give Wonder Woman to solidify her lore and give her a more definite background that is more accessible to young viewers. There is always a first time for every character to get their spotlight on television. Batman did not get his own animated cartoon until BTAS premiered. Thus, it seems likely that if Wonder Woman got that chance, a more consistent character can develop.

Considering that for much of her life, Wonder Woman has been both a princess AND a superhero, she straddles that fine line when it comes to advertisers' perceptions. David E. Kelley, a respected producer, tried a live-action remake a few years ago, and couldn't even get the pilot on the air.

I've actually taken a class on the history of superheroes and it seems that Wonder Woman has always struggled in her place in comics. It is disappointing that the pilot could not get on air. I wonder why the CW has not taken on the character due to her increased popularity in recent years. I do not think it is a lack of desire from fans but possibly from producers.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
David E Kelly is not the least bit respectable. He is contemptible and one of the worst writers on television. His Wonder Woman pilot was so bad, DC refuses to let the public see it. That's not the character's fault a woman-hater like Kelly was given free reign with her. That's on DC.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
There were Batman animated cartoons before B:TAS. I agree a Wonder Woman show could better establish an origin and background for the character. Similar to how the DCAU and other shows have done before, for characters with a rich comic book history, the crew could choose which elements from various eras would make the most sense and work well for the show. That's one of the reasons I kind of wish a Wonder Woman cartoon - if it ever happens - won't need to be a spin-off or whatever to the live-action movies, since that could limit some of the stuff they can do in the long run.

I presume the CW hasn't done much with the character since there could still be an embargo of sorts for the live-action theatrical stuff, though the Flash is still an exception.

Frontier

Staff member
Honestly, I think a part of it is WB not knowing what to do with their animation.

They can't put traditional action cartoons on Cartoon Network anymore, DC Universe leans more towards adult fans, and I don't know if HBOMax has figured out the kind of content it wants to have.

I mean, we haven't really had a traditional DC Superhero cartoon about a major hero on the air since Beware the Batman back in 2014 and look how CN treated that. Or even Justice League Action.
She's the least interesting character of the trinity.
She's either depicted as being idealistic to a fault, which leads to boring characterization within even the most acclaimed adaptations, and/or she's a bit more spunky with the strongest pension towards violence.

Maybe that's why they're doing an Amazons show to develop the lore around her.
Perhaps she is still a key player in that if they don't wind up doing the Superman & Batman prequel treatment.
Wonder Woman should never be a violent person, but her portrayal should be well-balanced.

I mean, there have been explanations or re-contexualizing a lot of this over the years. She has had a successful movie which was the character in relatively classic form so I don't think the character needs that drastic an overhaul.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Maybe a DVD movie could help before getting a tv show. Given how we've already two movies on the PG-13 end (Wonder Woman 2009 and Wonder Woman Bloodlines in 2019), I'd say something more G rated will help contextualize the character and make her as much an icon for kids as she is for adults (tone wise, I can go with anything from Green Lantern or Justice League Action or something like the Lego projects or DC Superhero Girls). Heck, you can use the DVD movie to launch a tv show.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts