"The Island of Misfit Christmas Specials" Talkback

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Depends on when the world gives me time to finish it. I hope it's not another Kermit Month situation where the third Misfit doesn't appear until mid-January, but....it's out of my hands.

pacman000

It’s root bear & a candy cigar!
Glad I didn't have to watch it; I hate backstage specials where everyone's angry.

twilicorn

HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER
I don't know what this next song is called, despite hearing it a billion times in my life. This is how it starts: "Bells will be ringing the sad sad news....oh what a Christmas to have the blues...."
Please Come Home for Christmas. You're welcome.

Some other thoughts:
  • I don't have a problem with non-Christmas songs showing up in Christmas specials/albums/etc. as long as they're themed in the spirit of the season. Favorite Things fits in snugly alongside the holiday songs of old - Sound of Music is usually shown around Christmastime. That said, a local Christmas concert/show in my area has some especially egregious uses of non-Christmas songs - this year's show (I didn't see it, they just posted the setlist in a Facebook group I'm in) featured, alongside actual holiday standards, such bangers as Supermarket Flowers, I'm Still Here, Born This Way, and Chandelier (which seemingly was put in solely because they had a chandelier that an aerialist could actually dangle from).
  • If you want a REALLY good singing show, look no further than The Masked Singer. The mystery element gives it an edge over the other singing shows.
  • It's true that The Voice hasn't spawned any real big stars like Kelly, but Melanie Martinez has made quite a name for herself, and even THEN she never won.

mimitchi33

Lovely, in my most wonderful way!
Another recommendation I'd like to make is A Very Minty Christmas, the My Little Pony G3 Christmas special. It premiered on Disney Channel during their Playhouse Disney block and on Toon Disney, I believe around the same time as the Timothy Tweedle special I posted.

columbiaharmeowny

Your favorite evil pie mascot!
I suggest Noelle. I was just watching it, and it seems like a good candidate for a Misfit. Not only is it a poor man’s version of Elf (but decent), it contains more product placement than Holidaze!

twilicorn

HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER
You know who else eats Corn Flakes? MY MOM! Sorry, I couldn't resist.

P.S. Two other people/YTP folk I'm acquainted with made a collaborative review of Shrek the Halls. Check it out, will ya?

mimitchi33

Lovely, in my most wonderful way!
Apparently, an obscure Christmas special starring Betty White called Noddy: Anything Can Happen At Christmas will be uploaded to YouTube on Christmas Eve. I don't know if that is too late for you, but here's the link. If not, here's a few more to consider for this year:
  1. The Naughty List: A special starring Drake Bell that used to play on Cartoon Network before the only holiday special they decided to play was "Titans vs. Santa".
  2. The Secret World Of Santa Claus: I remember this series being mentioned a little while back, and now it's been officially uploaded to YouTube.
  3. Olaf's Frozen Adventure: One of my favorite holiday specials, this one actually aired before Coco first before playing on TV, causing much controversy with its' long runtime.
  4. The Christmas Toy: A staple in many people's childhoods.
Have you ever considered reviewing "The Legend of Frosty the Snowman," a DTV sequel to the Rankin/Bass original from 2004? Patrick Star voices Frosty and it's very mediocre.
Didn't MeTV air that several years ago? I wonder if they still do. Probably not, as they dropped most kids' shows save for Bill Nye and Beakman's World.

TeridaxXD001

I don't know if it's too early to make suggestions, but have you ever considered Santa, Baby! (2001)? There's nothing particularly wrong with it, but I don't know of any reruns, it has remained pretty obscure, and while it was released on DVD shortly afterward, it apparently sold poorly enough that I was able to get a brand new, sealed copy for under $10 just a couple years ago (no longer the case, apparently). It was Rankin/Bass's last Christmas special, their first production in 14 years (though Jules Bass wasn't involved), stars a mostly-black cast, and even features the voice of original singer Eartha Kitt (as a cat!).

PS Thanks for doing Cricket on the Hearth. That scene where the captain gives the kidnappers their "payment" always cracks me up! Yeah, there's something wrong with me...

dth1971

Can this be an ISLAND OF MISFIT CHRISTMAS SPECIALS contender? - It's some animated movie called "Christmas in New York" about some Tarzan-ish boy and his 2 pet dogs heading to New York City to find some Christmas miracle.

pacman000

It’s root bear & a candy cigar!
With “A Charlie Brown Christmas” going to Apple, does it count now?

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
The Island of Misfit Christmas Specials was featured on Chriddof and Applemask's podcast Theory of Obscurity:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

WBD announces a Meerkat Manor animated film. In other news, the world suddenly remembers Meerkat Manor exists.
Today marks the 5th Year Anniversary of when the HD Double Pack of Final Fantasy X & X-2 was released on the Nintendo Switch in North America. It was nice to be able to play my favorite Final Fantasy game on a Nintendo system.
Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!
If you want an example of what truly all-ages animation is, I can't think of a better recent example than Bluey's "The Sign". I have more to say, but you'll be hearing from me again ;)

Featured Posts