"The Island of Misfit Christmas Specials" Talkback

twilicorn

HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER
Maybe someday you will review that other Moo Family special. And Power Team. And anything else Kids' Day Off may have ran. Even the Bubsy special can theoretically be reviewed here.
Also I totally got a face full of SIRE (Sudden Instant Recall Effect) from reading the name "Hollywood Hounds" in that program listing. I remember Teletoon used to air the Hollywood Hounds Christmas special sometime in the oughts (re: 2006). It was about a cowboy dog who met a reggae singing dog and some other female dog and they started a band. And there was a bunch of poodles(?) owned by a bratty girl and they all went in this talent contest and the main band lost but it couldn't diminish their friendship. I don't actually remember it very clearly. Anyone got a copy they're willing to share?

Zorak Masaki

I always thought Power Team was a segment from Video Power, didnt know it aired as a stand-alone.

pacman000

It’s root bear & a candy cigar!
The number of Cow puns were hard to read; I don't think I want to see this special.

According to IMdB, the same company made Denver the Last Dinosaur & the Busby cartoon: IMDb: With Calico Entertainment (Sorted by Popularity Ascending) They have quite a few other credits; I'm betting the CGI was a budget saving experiment; it may have been expensive, but it was less expensive than doing the same scene by hand.

The story doesn't sound too unusual; a family of country singers put on a concert; the son wants to play rock music; dad doesn't approve. Then they save Christmas, since this is a Christmas special. Why does it exist? Why does any holiday special exist? If successful, Calico could've expected royalties every December for a decade or more.

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
I didn't even know you did Yogi's First Christmas, Peter. Shame on me for not keeping up.

One of your criticisms of the Chipmunk Christmas special really applies here too; Yogi's a complete Boy Scout. He tries to steal food exactly once towards the beginning, otherwise he only gets in trouble through misunderstandings and frame-ups. If you don't have the context of the original cartoons, it almost makes the Ranger seem paranoid here.

Mark Evanier's Yogi special* from a couple of years later at least tried to keep Yogi's character somewhat intact, even if that didn't turn out very good either.

* There's some interesting stories about that one. The network bleeped Snagglepuss for saying "Happy Hanukkah" and H-B tried to recast Daws Butler over a pay dispute, to the rage of literally ever other voice actor in the industry.

Last edited:

twilicorn

I didn't even know you did Yogi's First Christmas, Peter. Shame on me for not keeping up.

One of your criticisms of the Chipmunk Christmas special really applies here too; Yogi's a complete Boy Scout. He tries to steal food exactly once towards the beginning, otherwise he only gets in trouble through misunderstandings and frame-ups. If you don't have the context of the original cartoons, it almost makes the Ranger seem paranoid here.

Mark Evanier's Yogi special* from a couple of years later at least tried to keep Yogi's character somewhat intact, even if that didn't turn out very good either.

* There's some interesting stories about that one. The network bleeped Snagglepuss for saying "Happy Hanukkah" and H-B tried to recast Daws Butler over a pay dispute, to the rage of literally ever other voice actor in the industry.
I mixed up both of those specials when the review came out and was wondering why he didn't make a note about someone saying "Happy [REDACTED] even!"

Erased Paper

I forgot to mention this. "Yogi's First Christmas" was originally a syndicated 5 part miniseries that aired weekdays on December 1 to 5, 1980.

mimitchi33

Lovely, in my most wonderful way!
Here's one I just learned about from a Toon Disney ad break that stars Howie Mandel (no, it's not Bobby's World):

Speaking of FOX Kids, here's the Life with Louie Christmas special, which was the show's pilot:

Last edited:

twilicorn

Alright here's my annual posting of that masterpost of not-yet-reviewed specials, with a few new additions.

-Christmas in Disneyland
-Christmas at Walt Disney World (two Disney Parks Christmas specials that aired during the 70's)
-A Very Retail Christmas (you have a copy and should get around to it soon?)
-The Christmas Tree (a contender for the Best Worst Christmas Special Ever)
-Noël Noël (a Canadian special I remember very well. Not to be confused with Noel from about 10 years earlier which can also theoretically be reviewed here)
-The Secret World of Santa Claus (also from Canada, it's a miniseries that's been a Teletoon holiday tradition for about two decades' worth of time. Could this be the first-ever Misfit Christmas Series?)
-It's Your 50th Christmas, Charlie Brown (was intended to air just once, but this is evidently not due to quality as from what I've seen so far it's really sweet, still regret missing this one on its first airing)
-Christmas specials by 10th Ave Productions (an odd collection of CG specials that YTV aired long long ago. No video but you may be able to ask the company for some copies. Here's some info on The Christmas Stocking Tale.)
-Deck the Halls with Wacky Walls
-Jingle Bell Rap (these specials were mentioned by other users earlier on. The last one has the "advantage" of having the director of Up on the Housetop behind it)
-Christmas in Tattertown (another one mentioned earlier on, this one was helmed by Ralph Bakshi with the intent of making a series)
-I Love the Holidays (an installment in VH1's long-running "I Love..." series. Since it tackles Halloween and Thanksgiving as well, it's just as well to put the review just before Halloween in lieu of a Sabrinas Through Time so all the bases are covered)
-The Magic Garden Christmas Special (not as well known outside the NYC area but the show was highly beloved within the area. For me it's more notable for its manner of being uncovered, after being lost for decades, than its actual content)
-Annabelle's Wish (best known for its home video release that benefited Make A Wish Foundation, you mentioned it aired on Fox beforehand so it fits)
-The Christmas Computer Caper (more local fare, this one can easily be found on YouTube. Someone here said a similar special aired in Chicago the same year, called "The Computer Kid Christmas")
-A Very Murray Christmas (Netflix's first, and so far only, Christmas special [not movie] that's not based on a preexisting show. Not to be confused with How Murray Saved Christmas)
-A Muppets Christmas: Letters to Santa
-The Christmas Toy (two leftovers from "Kermit Month" a few years back)
-The Great Santa Claus Switch (a Muppet/Henson special without Kermit)
-A Special Sesame Street Christmas
-Elmo's Christmas Countdown (two Sesame Street specials. The former is especially bizarre and aired the same year and network as the Star Wars special. Both specials were released on DVD)
-Rudolph's Shiny New Year (since New Year's is often lumped in with Christmas then this would fit)
-A Cosmic Christmas (an early production from Nelvana, featuring songs by Sylvia Tyson of Ian and Sylvia fame)
-What-A-Mess Christmas Mess (I had this one on file, but it was missing the intro and outro so I never knew what it was until someone here filled in the blanks)
-Christmas Is (obscurish 1970 special starring several big names in the voice acting world)
-Christmas Dreams (I've been badgering you to do this one for years because I seriously want to see it, I unfortunately missed it on its only CBC airing and now that you get Bounce, the one channel that has the rights to it, you're able to record it. Just keep an eye out for it in the listings this Christmas if it ever airs!)
-The Tangerine Bear (someone messaged me about it once and it kinda fits?)
-Arthur's Perfect Christmas (reviewed by PeanutButterGamer here)

Last edited:

pacman000

It’s root bear & a candy cigar!
A long time ago someone suggested Pikachu's Winter Vacation. I'd like to see that reviewed; it did air once on cable, & it had a VHS release. Possibly a DVD release too.

mimitchi33

Lovely, in my most wonderful way!
A long time ago someone suggested Pikachu's Winter Vacation. I'd like to see that reviewed; it did air once on cable, & it had a VHS release. Possibly a DVD release too.
It aired as part of Pokemon Chronicles in the US, so I don't know if it would count or not.

And concerning Twilicorn's list, I've seen some of these before:

It's Your 50th Christmas, Charlie Brown: I saw this when it first aired and loved being introduced to the songs from the Teddy Ruxpin-esque Snoopy toy, as well as the songs from specials I had never seen. I also remember being impressed by Boyz II Men's performance, despite having little exposure to the group prior to the special. The ending song also made me cry.
Annabelle's Wish: We watched this in school once!
A Muppets Christmas: Letters to Santa: Saw this as a kid when it first aired and can only remember parts of this, but I've relistened to the songs and they're awesome, especially Delivering Christmas.
Elmo's Christmas Countdown: I remember HAVING to watch this because me and my sister were obsessed with Abby Cadabby. We really enjoyed this.
Rudolph's Shiny New Year: Compared with the original Rudolph, which I watched a billion times as a kid, I found this one OK. I only remember the baby part.
The Tangerine Bear: I believe I was the one who asked you if you had the original recording in exchange for the Big Hero 6 airing I traded you among the other stuff I asked for. I had watched the original airing in third grade and my teacher didn't rewind over the commercials, and they caught my eye because many of them were interesting. I believe one of the ads led me to play with my cousin's HitClips at a family gathering.
Arthur's Perfect Christmas: I probably watched this at least once, since I remember the ending clearly and the scene where Arthur goes to the mall.

And some more suggestions:
Winnie The Pooh And Christmas Too: This one's unique in the fact that there's two versions: the original version, which only got released to VHS, and the new version as seen on A Very Merry Pooh Year, where Rabbit's fur color and Christopher Robin's voice actor are both changed.
Rugrats: The Santa Experience: Aired on CBS in 2001according to a YouTube video. I also remember watching this particular airing. On a similar note, I believe CBS also ran SpongeBob SquarePants: Christmas Who? one year according to comments I saw on YouTube, but I don't know if it actually happened or not, as I didn't watch the airing.
Hoops And Yo-Yo Ruin Christmas!: I've never seen this before and I've heard good things about it.

Last edited:

twilicorn

I was thinking of making a movie that's sort of like an antidote to the glut of Christmas romcoms but I'm not thinking of going as far as this movie did.
Speaking of, I became aware of this movie vaguely because my local Sunrise Records has/had the soundtrack for it on CD.

Dsneybuf

I actually predicted two years ago on TV Tropes that Mary Lou wouldn't stay dead...

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts