"The Island of Misfit Christmas Specials" Talkback

twilicorn

HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER
He's done two movies for this series so far: Twelve Wishes of Christmas and Grumpy Cat's Worst Christmas Ever. In this case both were TV movies. Not sure if this was or not.
Cinema Snob's reviewed this one as well:

pacman000

It’s root bear & a candy cigar!

There was another Snowden special; I think this is the one I remember. Traditional animation. Snowden appears in a forest each year & plays with anthromorphic animals, but one of the animals wants to keep Snowden all to herself.

From what I remember it's cute, but I never liked it. Thought Snowden was trying to replace Frosty.

pacman000

YouTube is apparently a black hole of forgotten specials:

mimitchi33

Lovely, in my most wonderful way!
My guesses given the page you used as a hint for the next special is that it's either The Bells of Fraggle Rock (due to the Fraggle Rock float), Hello Kitty: Santa's Missing Hat (due to the Hello Kitty commercial), the Smurfs Christmas special (due to the Smurfs commercial) or that we finally get to see Yogi's First Christmas (due to the Yogi balloon). And it's not also not A Chipmunk Christmas since you already covered it!

TenPoundHammer

Wheel of Fortune winner, 12/8/17
I'm still waiting to see what's done for the Hoops & Yoyo special. That was... a thing. Peter actually sent it to me ages ago.

twilicorn

Maybe for Stan Lee he's gonna do a Marvel-related selection, judging by the presence of Spidey and Cap. Or maybe he's gonna do A Diva's Christmas Carol since Vanessa Williams starred in it.
More possibilities: Joey Lawrence, KITT, Charley Pride, Peter Billingsley, Olive Oyl, a character on that Comic Stars float, Woody Woodpecker, Superman.
EDIT: Realized this is post #666 in this thread. noice.

Last edited:

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Here it is:
The Island of Misfit Christmas Specials

Every year I think, "This time I'm gonna do a bunch of them early so I can run as many as possible." Ten minutes later, it's Thanksgiving weekend and I think "okay, that snuck up quickly, so much for that....better get started." Ten minutes after that, it's December 11 and I think "AAAAAAHHHHH!"

Zorak Masaki

I know you said you would never do the iconic specials, but have you ever considered doing a "full experience" version where you also include the ads, kind of like what you did for that 1979 airing of Rudolph?

mimitchi33

That was a pretty cool special to look at. I never knew it was a Hanna Barbera crossover! Many people had been waiting for that special (it was first requested on this thread over a decade ago).
And as for Poopsies (the ad shown at the end), they're coincidentally this year's hot toy. Whenever I go to the stores, they are sold out. And they also sell this unicorn doll that makes the slime for you that's just as popular (I've seen it sell for double the price!).

mimitchi33

If so, I have the complete 1983 version of Rudolph.
He already did an old airing of Rudolph. Maybe he could do Frosty, The Year Without A Santa Claus or A Garfield Christmas? And speaking of Garfield, maybe a Garfield and Friends Full Experience when it's not Christmas?
And here's some more misfits:

Last edited:

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
And as for Poopsies (the ad shown at the end), they're coincidentally this year's hot toy. Whenever I go to the stores, they are sold out. And they also sell this unicorn doll that makes the slime for you that's just as popular (I've seen it sell for double the price!).
I thought remaking Jingle All The Way would be a terrible idea -- until now. We need a movie where Dwayne Johnson has to track down a pooping unicorn!

Dsneybuf

I don't recall watching Yogi's First Christmas myself, but I guessed the nephew and the hermit would team up even before you brought it up.

twilicorn

Poopsies is the second coming of Gak. But with ads that aren't as severely repeated (I'm not sure since I haven't watched much TV in years).

There was already a Jingle All the Way sequel that was about Mater's voice actor finding some girl toy. There was no unicorn poo involved but that's kind of similar.
Also I think I saw Yogi's First Christmas back in the day on YTV. I just remember this special where Yogi and other people went to a resort and sang songs.

twilicorn

I know you said you would never do the iconic specials, but have you ever considered doing a "full experience" version where you also include the ads, kind of like what you did for that 1979 airing of Rudolph?
or a rundown of an alternate version? After June died I suggested that as a tribute Peter do the original version of Frosty that included all her voice tracks. He never went through on that.

pacman000

Sounds like Yogi's First Christmas had one main attraction: Kids got to see a bunch of Hanna Barbera characters acting together.

Today the characters aren't famous anymore, so there's little point to it.

That's just what happens over time; at one time Barney Google was the most important man in America:

Zorak Masaki

Though to be fair, both the Yogi's Ark Lark tv movie and Yogi's Gang tv series also had the same concept of H-B characters interacting. Ditto Laff-A-Lympics, all of which predate this special.

Dsneybuf

All of which have also fallen into deeper obscurity than the characters' individual shows.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.

Featured Posts