• Enter to win two tickets to Howl's Moving Castle. Details here.

"The Island of Misfit Christmas Specials" Talkback

Latest News & Videos

twilicorn

HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER
Maybe someday you will review that other Moo Family special. And Power Team. And anything else Kids' Day Off may have ran. Even the Bubsy special can theoretically be reviewed here.
Also I totally got a face full of SIRE (Sudden Instant Recall Effect) from reading the name "Hollywood Hounds" in that program listing. I remember Teletoon used to air the Hollywood Hounds Christmas special sometime in the oughts (re: 2006). It was about a cowboy dog who met a reggae singing dog and some other female dog and they started a band. And there was a bunch of poodles(?) owned by a bratty girl and they all went in this talent contest and the main band lost but it couldn't diminish their friendship. I don't actually remember it very clearly. Anyone got a copy they're willing to share?

pacman000

The number of Cow puns were hard to read; I don't think I want to see this special.

According to IMdB, the same company made Denver the Last Dinosaur & the Busby cartoon: IMDb: With Calico Entertainment (Sorted by Popularity Ascending) They have quite a few other credits; I'm betting the CGI was a budget saving experiment; it may have been expensive, but it was less expensive than doing the same scene by hand.

The story doesn't sound too unusual; a family of country singers put on a concert; the son wants to play rock music; dad doesn't approve. Then they save Christmas, since this is a Christmas special. Why does it exist? Why does any holiday special exist? If successful, Calico could've expected royalties every December for a decade or more.

I always thought Power Team was a segment from Video Power, didnt know it aired as a stand-alone.
It also aired on the USA Cartoon Express as a standalone under the name of Acclaim Masters (since the live Video Power segments couldn't be rerun on account of being outdated).

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
I didn't even know you did Yogi's First Christmas, Peter. Shame on me for not keeping up.

One of your criticisms of the Chipmunk Christmas special really applies here too; Yogi's a complete Boy Scout. He tries to steal food exactly once towards the beginning, otherwise he only gets in trouble through misunderstandings and frame-ups. If you don't have the context of the original cartoons, it almost makes the Ranger seem paranoid here.

Mark Evanier's Yogi special* from a couple of years later at least tried to keep Yogi's character somewhat intact, even if that didn't turn out very good either.

* There's some interesting stories about that one. The network bleeped Snagglepuss for saying "Happy Hanukkah" and H-B tried to recast Daws Butler over a pay dispute, to the rage of literally ever other voice actor in the industry.

Last edited:

twilicorn

HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER
I didn't even know you did Yogi's First Christmas, Peter. Shame on me for not keeping up.

One of your criticisms of the Chipmunk Christmas special really applies here too; Yogi's a complete Boy Scout. He tries to steal food exactly once towards the beginning, otherwise he only gets in trouble through misunderstandings and frame-ups. If you don't have the context of the original cartoons, it almost makes the Ranger seem paranoid here.

Mark Evanier's Yogi special* from a couple of years later at least tried to keep Yogi's character somewhat intact, even if that didn't turn out very good either.

* There's some interesting stories about that one. The network bleeped Snagglepuss for saying "Happy Hanukkah" and H-B tried to recast Daws Butler over a pay dispute, to the rage of literally ever other voice actor in the industry.
I mixed up both of those specials when the review came out and was wondering why he didn't make a note about someone saying "Happy [REDACTED] even!"

I forgot to mention this. "Yogi's First Christmas" was originally a syndicated 5 part miniseries that aired weekdays on December 1 to 5, 1980.

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

Why can't Cartoon Network air shows like Adventure Time, Regular Show, Uncle Grandpa and Clarence instead of Toddler Tightwads No!?

I like her response as to why she chooses Grover.
If you're a writer and a showrunner of a stale show for almost two decades and you disregard an episode you already wrote back in the 90s because of some controversial documentary, I cannot take you seriously anymore.
Asa
Was it ever confirmed that CN will host their 2019-2020 upfront this year?
I would love to see a Loud House spinoff comic starring the Loud Family as Ace Savvy and The Full House Gang. Heck, might as well give all the other Loud House characters card-themed superhero/supervillain identities.