"The Island of Misfit Christmas Specials" Talkback

• Enter to win two tickets to Whisper of the Heart. Details here.

Latest News & Videos

twilicorn

HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER
Dec 4, 2015
SO MUCH PAIN
Maybe someday you will review that other Moo Family special. And Power Team. And anything else Kids' Day Off may have ran. Even the Bubsy special can theoretically be reviewed here.
Also I totally got a face full of SIRE (Sudden Instant Recall Effect) from reading the name "Hollywood Hounds" in that program listing. I remember Teletoon used to air the Hollywood Hounds Christmas special sometime in the oughts (re: 2006). It was about a cowboy dog who met a reggae singing dog and some other female dog and they started a band. And there was a bunch of poodles(?) owned by a bratty girl and they all went in this talent contest and the main band lost but it couldn't diminish their friendship. I don't actually remember it very clearly. Anyone got a copy they're willing to share?

pacman000

Jun 5, 2017
The number of Cow puns were hard to read; I don't think I want to see this special.

According to IMdB, the same company made Denver the Last Dinosaur & the Busby cartoon: IMDb: With Calico Entertainment (Sorted by Popularity Ascending) They have quite a few other credits; I'm betting the CGI was a budget saving experiment; it may have been expensive, but it was less expensive than doing the same scene by hand.

The story doesn't sound too unusual; a family of country singers put on a concert; the son wants to play rock music; dad doesn't approve. Then they save Christmas, since this is a Christmas special. Why does it exist? Why does any holiday special exist? If successful, Calico could've expected royalties every December for a decade or more.

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
I didn't even know you did Yogi's First Christmas, Peter. Shame on me for not keeping up.

One of your criticisms of the Chipmunk Christmas special really applies here too; Yogi's a complete Boy Scout. He tries to steal food exactly once towards the beginning, otherwise he only gets in trouble through misunderstandings and frame-ups. If you don't have the context of the original cartoons, it almost makes the Ranger seem paranoid here.

Mark Evanier's Yogi special* from a couple of years later at least tried to keep Yogi's character somewhat intact, even if that didn't turn out very good either.

* There's some interesting stories about that one. The network bleeped Snagglepuss for saying "Happy Hanukkah" and H-B tried to recast Daws Butler over a pay dispute, to the rage of literally ever other voice actor in the industry.

Last edited:

twilicorn

HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER
Dec 4, 2015
SO MUCH PAIN
I didn't even know you did Yogi's First Christmas, Peter. Shame on me for not keeping up.

One of your criticisms of the Chipmunk Christmas special really applies here too; Yogi's a complete Boy Scout. He tries to steal food exactly once towards the beginning, otherwise he only gets in trouble through misunderstandings and frame-ups. If you don't have the context of the original cartoons, it almost makes the Ranger seem paranoid here.

Mark Evanier's Yogi special* from a couple of years later at least tried to keep Yogi's character somewhat intact, even if that didn't turn out very good either.

* There's some interesting stories about that one. The network bleeped Snagglepuss for saying "Happy Hanukkah" and H-B tried to recast Daws Butler over a pay dispute, to the rage of literally ever other voice actor in the industry.
I mixed up both of those specials when the review came out and was wondering why he didn't make a note about someone saying "Happy [REDACTED] even!"

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Carlos Gutierrez wrote on PinkiePie97's profile.
I really do need to see Unikitty, Puppycorn, Dr. Fox, Hawkodile, and Richard come back for more new adventures this summer!
Happy Father's Day to all dads out there (including my own)!
Homestar Runner was trending yesterday and I didn't notice. Is the series all up ons again?
Amphibia looks pretty deece so far. The premise is like the isekai anime genre, except the main protagonist isn't stuck in a typical fantasy RPG world that most isekai anime take place in.