"The Island of Misfit Christmas Specials" Talkback

Latest News

PatrickM

Dec 8, 2015
Here's some Misfits you might do next Christmas:

HE-MAN/SHE-RA: A CHRISTMAS SPECIAL- This is one of the most weirdest specials in cult history, as this is the live action movie in reverse if they did the movie like this and set it on Eternia than just Earth. Good thing about the special is Skeletor. Nuff said.

DISNEY'S THE REPLACEMENTS: DICK DARING'S SUPER STUNT CHRISTMAS- I like The Replacements, but the Christmas episode is a nod to the classic variety shows of the past.

DAN VS.:THE MALL SANTA-The show maybe obscure now, but Mark Hamill as the Mall Santa is awesome, but would have brought Elise's folks in a cameo after the events of the Thanksgiving episode after Dan burned down their house.

And the greatest Misfit of all.....

TMNT:WE WISH YOU A TURTLE CHRISTMAS- The AVGN/James reviewed this disaster and I have to agree with him and other critics who saw this that's worst as the first Bay Turtles.

Dsneybuf

Sep 22, 2011
Ratings
www.youtube.com
Well, until the Chuck E. Cheese video, it doesn't look like he reviewed anything that premiered straight on video (hence why I never requested Mickey's Magical Christmas: Snowed In at the House of Mouse).

twilicorn

HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER
Dec 4, 2015
Ratings
SO MUCH PAIN
I recently got a copy of Santa and the Three Bears that includes the live-action bookends of footage of a dolphin show with people talking over it. And they were filmed at Pirates World, a now long-gone Florida theme park that's also responsible for the travesty that is Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny.
Fact: Pirates World died out not necessarily because it sucked (and it did), but because there were rock concerts being held there and they didn't want that image. David Bowie actually played there at one point.

twilicorn

Dec 4, 2015
Ratings
SO MUCH PAIN
Someone came to me asking if I had the original airing of a 2000 special called the Tangerine Bear, and I thought it would make great Misfit Special fodder. It's about a literal misfit toy who was accidentally made with a frown instead of a smile, and features an all-star cast. Here's the commercially released version:

mimitchi33

Kiratto PriChan, On Air!
Jul 5, 2010
Ratings
74 1
Someone came to me asking if I had the original airing of a 2000 special called the Tangerine Bear, and I thought it would make great Misfit Special fodder. It's about a literal misfit toy who was accidentally made with a frown instead of a smile, and features an all-star cast. Here's the commercially released version:
I watched that particular airing in school when I was in fourth grade, ads and all. And here's the promo for the ABC airing (the guy who uploaded this also had the ads from the original airing. I remember the Cuddle and Care Baby and HitClips ones).
Anyway, I'd love to see what he thinks of this!

twilicorn

Dec 4, 2015
Ratings
SO MUCH PAIN
I know it's waaay to early for this but I think you start conceptualizing reviews for misfits in November anyway so I just felt like jumping the gun. Here's my list from last year, with a few adjustments. I intend on updating it yearly.

-Christmas in Disneyland
-Christmas at Walt Disney World (two Disney Parks Christmas specials that aired during the 70's)
-A Very Retail Christmas (you have a copy and should get around to it soon?)
-The Christmas Tree (a contender for the Best Worst Christmas Special Ever)
-Noël Noël (a Canadian special I remember very well. Not to be confused with Noel from about 10 years earlier)
-The Secret World of Santa Claus (also from Canada, it's a miniseries that's been a Teletoon holiday tradition for about two decades' worth of time. Could this be the first-ever Misfit Christmas Series?)
-It's Your 50th Christmas, Charlie Brown (was intended to air just once, but this is evidently not due to quality as from what I've seen so far it's really sweet, still regret missing this one on its first airing)
-Christmas specials by 10th Ave Productions (an odd collection of CG specials that YTV aired long long ago. No video but you may be able to ask the company for some copies. Here's some info on The Christmas Stocking Tale.)
-The Moo Family Holiday Hoedown
-Deck the Halls with Wacky Walls
-Jingle Bell Rap (these three specials were mentioned by other users earlier on. The last one has the "advantage" of having the director of Up on the Housetop behind it)
-Christmas in Tattertown (another one mentioned earlier on, this one was helmed by Ralph Bakshi with the intent of making a series)
-I Love the Holidays (an installment in VH1's long-running "I Love..." series. Since it tackles Halloween and Thanksgiving as well, it's just as well to put the review just before Halloween in lieu of a Sabrinas Through Time so all the bases are covered)
-The Magic Garden Christmas Special (not as well known outside the NYC area but the show was highly beloved within the area. For me it's more notable for its manner of being uncovered, after being lost for decades, than its actual content)
-Annabelle's Wish (best known for its home video release that benefited Make A Wish Foundation, you mentioned it aired on Fox beforehand so it fits)
-The Christmas Computer Caper (more local fare, this one can easily be found on YouTube. Someone here said a similar special aired in Chicago the same year, called "The Computer Kid Christmas")
-A Very Murray Christmas (Netflix's first, and so far only, Christmas special [not movie] that's not based on a preexisting show. Not to be confused with How Murray Saved Christmas)
-A Muppets Christmas: Letters to Santa
-The Christmas Toy (two leftovers from "Kermit Month" a few years back)
-The Great Santa Claus Switch (a Muppet/Henson special without Kermit)
-A Special Sesame Street Christmas
-Elmo's Christmas Countdown (two Sesame Street specials. The former is especially bizarre and aired the same year and network as the Star Wars special. Both specials were released on DVD)
-Rudolph's Shiny New Year (since New Year's is often lumped in with Christmas then this would fit)
-A Cosmic Christmas (an early production from Nelvana, featuring songs by Sylvia Tyson of Ian and Sylvia fame)
-What-A-Mess Christmas Mess (I had this one on file, but it was missing the intro and outro so I never knew what it was until someone here filled in the blanks)
-Christmas Is (I actually mentioned this one and linked to all three parts just this month)
-Christmas Dreams (I've been badgering you to do this one for years because I seriously want to see it, I unfortunately missed it on its only CBC airing and now that you get Bounce, the one channel that has the rights to it, you're able to record it. Just keep an eye out for it in the listings this Christmas!)

Last edited:

Spotlight

Latest profile posts

Stephanie Sheh voicing Izzy Park the same way she does Sailor Moon has me considering the chance of Nazneen Contractor dubbing some "Sailor Moon" episodes I currently dont plan to buy.
Watched the newest Halloween yesterday
I can’t express my unpopular opinions without someone yelling or disagreeing at me why I’m a monster for thinking that way (liking adult animation, SpongeBob’s new episodes are inferior, etc.)
If you have Starz Encore Family (Not Kids & Family, but Family...) 1 hour as of this post, they'll be playing "Inspector Gadget Saves Christmas" and "Sonic Christmas Blast". (3:19pm-4:06pm EST) Both will play again at some point.
I'm at episode 50 of {Batman: TAS ∧ Hey Arnold}.