"The Invincible Iron Man" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

Rate and Comment on "The Invincible Iron Man"

• Total voters

Kyuss

Dec 1, 2006
Beyond the Pale
I'm under the assumption that, like you Kuwabara, the second movie improves a great deal to help garner a better showing (and certainly better scripting for starters) to have this occur.

Ed Liu

Frog of Thunder
Staff member
Reporter
Sep 6, 2001
Princeton Jct, NJ
www.edwick.com
I thought it the movie was OK. I certainly liked it a lot more than Ultimate Avengers. The commercial breaks on CN were pretty annoying and disruptive, but that's no fault of the movie's. Most of my reservations revolve around the way it kind of lurches around all over the place and undermines itself on quite a few occasions. As others have mentioned, the whole "I built lots of armors before this" seemed more like an expedient way to get more suits in quickly rather than something natural. I think Tony's dad was also meant to come off as enigmatic, but he just seemed wishy-washy and ineffectual to me. I wasn't as bothered by Li Mei's characterization -- she was caught in the push-and-pull of her own desires and her sense of obligation. I thought that was one of the better elements, actually, and mirrored Tony's conflicts with his father in an interesting way.

I did totally dig the suit Tony made as a captive, though, and how its resemblance to medieval plate mail proved to be more than just a stylistic flourish.

I actually didn't mind the CGI animation quite so much, but I was watching it on VHS after the fact. I suspect that may have smoothed out some of the rougher parts.

I thought it was a good movie until I'd read something on the IMDb formus that critized the protrayals of Asains in the movie as racist. I don't know that they're blowing something out of proportions or might be on to something. If it is the latter, then I regret watching it.
I don't know that I'd call it "racist" as much as just ignorant. As mentioned, the Mandarin is a very Fu-Manchu "Yellow Peril/Mongol Horde" villain and always has been. I thought they did a decent enough job to get away from that (even if he didn't get quite as much screen time as some would like).

However, it's pretty dumb that everybody, including all the Chinese characters, calls him "the Mandarin" because that's not a Chinese term, but one that Europeans applied to Chinese. It's equivalent to a white supervillain based in America calling himself "The Fan-gwai-lo" (a Cantonese term that literally translates to "foreign devil") -- it just doesn't make any sense.

It gets worse because the ancient background that goes back 3,000 years (well before any Chinese had encountered European culture) makes calling him the Mandarin pretty ridiculous. It would have made more sense if he had been a figure from the Boxer Rebellion or even maybe Marco Polo's time, and making "The Mandarin" the name that Europeans called him. Or just rename the character entirely. He shares so little with the original version that he is effectively a new villain anyway.

The other one, which is really a minor quibble, is that "Wong Chu" sounds like a totally bogus, made up name. They call him "Mr. Chu" in a few parts, which is backwards (Chinese names go last-name first, so "Chow Yun Fat" is "Mr. Chow," not "Mr. Fat"), and the whole thing sounds more like 2 last names strung together. It's like naming a character "Roberts Clooney" -- it just sounds weird.

None of these are really deal breakers (to me, anyway). I know that both of these characters have far-reaching comic book roots. However, for all the stuff where they deviated from the comics, I'm a bit annoyed that the producers don't seem to have shown the script or the movie to real Chinese people to ask, "What did Stan Lee get wrong 40 years ago?"

Beyond that, there's the usual nonsense about how Chinese are mystical and magical, while Westerners are technological. If you want to push it, what kind of message is it sending that the magic is all evil and the West's technology ultimately triumphs over the Chinese magic? However, I don't want to push it because I don't think it's worth it and I certainly don't think there was any conscious intent there. I think they just wanted to tell a good action story to sell DVDs, and I think they mostly succeeded at it.

-- Ed

Spider-Man

Jan 7, 2002
As others have mentioned, the whole "I built lots of armors before this" seemed more like an expedient way to get more suits in quickly rather than something natural.
Maybe I got suckered into the explanation by the creative team but I actually liked the fact that this was something Tony was working on before he was caputred. It actually works for how he was portrayed in the movie. Plus it added some natural tension between him and Rhodey and worked to get him out of capitivity sooner (which would have dragged on forever if that was his first suit). Why would it have been better if he never built a suit before?

Bones Justice

Bring on the noise!
Dec 29, 2003
Lots of places
Visit site
The other one, which is really a minor quibble, is that "Wong Chu" sounds like a totally bogus, made up name. They call him "Mr. Chu" in a few parts, which is backwards (Chinese names go last-name first, so "Chow Yun Fat" is "Mr. Chow," not "Mr. Fat"), and the whole thing sounds more like 2 last names strung together. It's like naming a character "Roberts Clooney" -- it just sounds weird.
I'm not sure how it is in China but there are a lot of people in the United States with two "first" names. Not that it makes it right for a fictional character, but it's at least a possibility. For example: "Peter Parker", "Jeff George", or "Andy Dick". (Sorry about that last one but you get the idea.)

Beyond that, there's the usual nonsense about how Chinese are mystical and magical, while Westerners are technological. If you want to push it, what kind of message is it sending that the magic is all evil and the West's technology ultimately triumphs over the Chinese magic? However, I don't want to push it because I don't think it's worth it and I certainly don't think there was any conscious intent there. I think they just wanted to tell a good action story to sell DVDs, and I think they mostly succeeded at it.
I think you are reading too much into it. I never got the impression that "all magic is evil" from this film. Nor did I get the impression that they were saying China was all about magic while the West was all about technology. The Mandarin was magic; Tony Stark was technology. The fact that the two of them battled was not meant as an absolute for either culture. Also, it wasn't technology that defeated The Mandarin in the end anyways; it was the girl's strength of character and perhaps her own "good" magic, if you will.

Christopher Glennon

Punch Drunk Flounder
Staff member
Reporter
Nov 22, 2003
My Own Nonsensical World
Finally got this and watched it. I'm going to have to say I prefer the Ultimate Avengers movies. I thought this was okay.

I liked Tony's conflict with his father and the board and how that mirrored Li Mei's story. I thought the ending with Howard was a little simple, but I dug Tony's relationship with Rhodey and Pepper. He grew as a person.

I'm a little torn on the action. There were some really great shots I took notice of, but I don't think it flowed that well overall. The armor designs look cooler in theory than in practice. Maybe there needed to be a longer battle with the Mandarin because I prefer the way he looked in UA.

I would have liked a few aerial shots of Iron Man to cap off the film (like the Spidey films, or the Superman movies), and the happy ending with his father seemed way too neat and tidy. After all the conflict between Tony and Howard in the film, it just seemed too 'happily ever after'. I did like it when Howard told the guy with the stopwatch to shut up though.
I agree with that, especially the aerial shots and Tony calling himself Iron Man and deciding to be a hero or something along those lines.

I also thought it was kind of retarded how that girl was all like "It's my destiny" and crap up until she summoned Mandarin, and then after she summoned Mandarin, for no reason, she decided to turn on him. I mean, earlier she had told Iron Man that he would die, so it makes no sense that later on she wouldn't be willing to sacrifice him. Though, to be honest her whole motivation throughout the movie didn't make much sense to me.
I liked the twist that she was the Mandarin's descendant, but then some of her motivation doesn't make much sense.

fiero84

Jan 23, 2005
AUSTIN,TEXAS
www.angelfire.com
Iron Man rocks

This was great CGI. You always get somewhat less action with 'origin' stories, even with Batman. A sequel would probably have more action.

It was a nice tribute to the original grey armour. It's just 'tricked up' a little from the 1963 comic version. Tony Stark does change after his ordeal to be a better man.
We get to see several armours in here. Overall, I think they got the gist of Iron man. No complaints here.

Yuro Sensei

Samurai
Jul 26, 2005
NYC
SPOILERS

Can someone please explain why Li Mei was reluctantly part of an organization which opposed the raising of the city, yet was also a descendant of the Mandarin and participated in his resurrection?

-Jeremy

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Apr 23, 2001
Toonzone
www.worldsfinestonline.com
With the premiere of the live-action Iron Man movie just around the corner, what better time than now to look back at his first solo animated feature!

The Invincible Iron Man
January 23rd, 2007 - Direct To Video/DVD Release

Synopsis: Past and present collide in this epic adventure that reveals the origin of Iron Man. While raising the ruins of a long buried Chinese kingdom, billionaire inventor Tony Stark digs up far more than he bargained for. He unleashes an age-old prophecy that foretells the resurrection of the Mandarin, the emperor of China's darkest and most violent dynasty

Comments? What are your thoughts?

Please post all discussions, comments, etc, concerning the feature movie here! Discussion for the DVD itself can be found in the link provided below.