"The Invincible Iron Man" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

Rate and Comment on "The Invincible Iron Man"

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Apr 23, 2001
Toonzone
www.worldsfinestonline.com
Witness the birth of the Iron Age!

The Invincible Iron Man
January 23rd, 2007 - Direct To Video/DVD Release

Synopsis: Past and present collide in this epic adventure that reveals the origin of Iron Man. While raising the ruins of a long buried Chinese kingdom, billionaire inventor Tony Stark digs up far more than he bargained for. He unleashes an age-old prophecy that foretells the resurrection of the Mandarin, the emperor of China's darkest and most violent dynasty. In order to confront the destructive force, Tony creates an armored suit infused with high-tech weaponry. To stop the evil that he himself has raised from the earth, Tony must become his greatest invention ever -- Iron Man! The newly born champion must travel to the four corners of the earth to battle the Mandarin's henchmen, the Elementals -- four magical warriors who harness the power of the elements -- earth, water, wind, and fire -- with deadly chemistry. But is the Iron Knight, as he his known in the prophecy, strong enough to defy fate and turn back the malevolent forces hell-bent on earth's destruction?

Comments? What are your thoughts?

Please post all discussions, comments, etc, concerning the feature movie here! Discussion for the DVD itself can be found in the link provided below.

Related Threads:
-The Invincible Iron Man DVD Talkback (Spoilers)
-The Invincible Iron Man Soundtrack Talkback (Spoilers)
-The Invincible Iron Man Review at Marvel Animation Age (Spoilers)
-Ultimate Avengers 2: Rise of the Panther Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
-Ultimate Avengers: The Movie Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

CobraSpectre

Vanship Pilot
Oct 21, 2006
USA
So I preordered this on Amazon and it actually came today. Just finished watching it.

SPOILERS AHEAD

I haven't been following Iron Man's every move through the comics, but it seems that they've done his creation about twenty times.

It takes like 50 minutes just to get to his first real Iron Man fight. It also only leaves only 10 minutes for the final show down. They spent 80 minutes creating 'Mandarin', but does Iron Man even get a real fight with him? Nope! He gets a better fight with the Elementals.

Little time is actually spent with the distinctive red and yellow Iron Man suit.

Overall, I liked the story, but Iron Man fans would probably be disappointed.

END SPOILERS

The DVD has no subtitles, which is extremely odd.

The credits are tiny. Almost impossible to see when zoomed in.

I'll weigh in on the bonus features later.

Jun 3, 2002
Evansville, IN
Visit site
I liked it. I was never really an Ironman fan so I didn't read the comics to know how he got the suit I just knew he had some sortof heart problem so whatever they changed about his origins I didn't really care.
I liked the first half of the movie when he wasn't iron man more than I liked the second half.
I thought the Avengers movies were boring as :evil: except for the first one where the Hulk fought the Avengers for like five minutes. This movie I'd actually purchase probably in the near future.

Apache Chief

That's one big Indian!
Dec 11, 2001
The Hall of Justice
Visit site
SPOLIER ALERT

It was ok - but man did Tony get his butt kicked a lot. He got smacked around more than Superman in the first season of Justice League.

I felt that not enough was made of Tony's injury. In one scene he's in an iron lung, then after it's "streamlined" and seemingly taped to his chest, no mention of his weak heart is ever made again. I think he should have had to wear the chest plate to survive like in the early comics.

Oh, and who's going to be the first lucky journalist to stumble upon the story of the century - a HUGE DRAGON CARCASS in the middle of Stark Industries' Chinese excavation sight?

The Elementals were neat.

Viper

I'll Never Forget You Two!
Mar 16, 2002
Texas
Visit site
I watched this last night, and I thought it was great!:D

1. I felt the animation was terrific! Tony Stark and the other characters looked great!:D

2. The action totally blew me away, especially the bloody parts.:sweat:

3. I also enjoyed the plot twist towards the end where the oriental woman released Mandarin!:eek: I also loved how she removed the bands to stop him, although she was almost killed in the process.:sweat:

A great movie!:D

As for the extras,

1. I didn't care too much for the alternate opening about the legend of Mandarin.:sad:

2. The Dr. Strange preview looked great!:D

3. Finally, I thought the "Origin of Iron Man" featurette was very interesting.:) I can see why they the setting for this movie and not the original beginning from the classic comic book days. Very original, IMO.:)

Hypestyle

Nov 21, 2001
Detroit, MI USA
Visit site
I'd give the movie 3 stars (out of four)

SPOILERS*******************
I thought it was a good update/reboot of the character. Interesting that Stark's father plays a bigger role here.. and that he's not a 'villain' figure..

it was fascinating to see four IM foes revamped as Chinese element-demons.. I wouldn't have thought to go there.. IMO, it works..

Also, the revamping of the Mandarin as a long-dead tyrant looking to come back.. interesting.. though of course, they changed it from 10 rings to five rings..

Rhodey seems a combo of the old school and the ultimate version where he's trained pilot and an engineering expert..

Pepper's British.. hee..:D

No Happy to be found.. this time, anyway.. (sequel?)

The epilogue/ending was a little abrupt, IMO.. I figured they'd give us at least one more shot of IM flying around.. I'm not sure if he was even called by the "Iron Man" name in the film.. I'll have to rewatch..

and I also liked the Dr. Strange preview.. too bad we have to wait until August (!?!?!?)

Cortez2301

Jan 30, 2006
I just bought it today.The movie is great! Everything was cool! The action,the story,the animation and the dialogue were superb! I put this up with the ultimate avengers 2.Too bad we didn't see much of the Mandarin but it was good for the story.I gave it 4.5 stars.

BatmanFan1980

Jan 12, 2007
Canada
Did anyone buy the Invincible Iron Man DVD? I wanted some reviews on it and this feature thread is really helpful. I just ordered a copy online.

JLU Dude

Jul 6, 2001
U.S.A.
The voices did a pretty good job as did the animators on the animation. I don't mean to start a flame war or anything, but I thought it was a good movie until I'd read something on the IMDb formus that critized the protrayals of Asains in the movie as racist. I don't know that they're blowing something out of proportions or might be on to something. If it is the latter, then I regret watching it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hero Supreme

Mr Jinx No More
Sep 17, 2004
Cincinnati
superheroshows.blogspot.com
After reading some negative reviews, I was pleasantly surprised with a good movie. It was nice seeing several armors, and some character time with armorless Tony.

My main complaints are that the end battle was lame, and that these Marvel films seem more like pilots than stand alone films... only there is not another Iron Man planned. I just think these characters have more potential than one 80 minute story.

JLU Dude

Jul 6, 2001
U.S.A.
The leader of the guerrillas is a bit of a caricature, but I didn't really notice anything racist.
Yeah, nothing I'd noticed on my viewing struck me like that, either and I'd re-read the post and the guy who posted it was accused of the same thing, but that's neither here nor there. Some of the stuff he'd mentioned happens a lot regardless of race, though.

AdamYJ

The Saturday Morning Kid
Dec 9, 2003
Latham, NY
Visit site
it was fascinating to see four IM foes revamped as Chinese element-demons.. I wouldn't have thought to go there.. IMO, it works..
You know, I didn't notice that. Let me try to figure out which ones.

Wind=Whirlwind
Water=Blizzard

I'm blanking on Fire and Earth. I want to say Grey Gargoyle for Earth, but his touch never turned anyone to stone, so that can't be it.

Also, the revamping of the Mandarin as a long-dead tyrant looking to come back.. interesting.. though of course, they changed it from 10 rings to five rings..
That worked pretty well, I think. At least until the last part where it was just a Mandarin ghost floating over Mei Li. The Mandarin is a hard villian to pull off. I remember him seeming like a pretty good villian in the old Iron Man cartoon from the '90s. Of course, they played him as some strangely green skinned supervillian mastermind without focusing too much on his Chinese origins. The one in the comic often had a little too much in common with stereotypical Chinese villians from the "Yellow Menace" era like Fu Manchu and Ming the Merciless (though, Ming was actually from another planet). It's not an approach that works well once the Cold War is over.

Anyway, I thought the movie was enjoyable enough. The problem I had is that the minute I think of Iron Man, I think of the '90s cartoons from the Marvel Action Hour. I kept expecting Julia, Wanda, Clint and Century to show up. Then again, Rhodey actually was around, though he wasn't War Machine.

AdamYJ

The Saturday Morning Kid
Dec 9, 2003
Latham, NY
Visit site
I was expecting him to show up at the end to save the day as War Machine, but no dice.
War Machine doesn't get a lot of play anymore. Most people just think of him as something of a '90s spin-off character and not important as anything other than Tony's friend Rhodey. In the comics, he was retired from superhero business for a while. Though, it looks like he'll be back in Avengers: The Initiative. It's actually been a hard road for much of the old Iron Man cast. War Machine retired. Century died. Hawkeye was killed and resurrected a couple times. Scarlet Witch went crazy. And Spider-Woman's seemingly been run out of the country.

Chris Wood

Desslar
Jun 11, 2002
Washington DC
War Machine doesn't get a lot of play anymore. Most people just think of him as something of a '90s spin-off character and not important as anything other than Tony's friend Rhodey.
Yeah, but after the armor showed up in Ultimate Avengers 2 it seemed odd not to let Rhodes use it. Didn't Rhodes die in the comics at some point?

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
You know, I didn't notice that. Let me try to figure out which ones.

Wind=Whirlwind
Water=Blizzard

I'm blanking on Fire and Earth. I want to say Grey Gargoyle for Earth, but his touch never turned anyone to stone, so that can't be it.

That worked pretty well, I think. At least until the last part where it was just a Mandarin ghost floating over Mei Li. The Mandarin is a hard villian to pull off. I remember him seeming like a pretty good villian in the old Iron Man cartoon from the '90s. Of course, they played him as some strangely green skinned supervillian mastermind without focusing too much on his Chinese origins. The one in the comic often had a little too much in common with stereotypical Chinese villians from the "Yellow Menace" era like Fu Manchu and Ming the Merciless (though, Ming was actually from another planet). It's not an approach that works well once the Cold War is over.

Anyway, I thought the movie was enjoyable enough. The problem I had is that the minute I think of Iron Man, I think of the '90s cartoons from the Marvel Action Hour. I kept expecting Julia, Wanda, Clint and Century to show up. Then again, Rhodey actually was around, though he wasn't War Machine.
What are you talking about, Grey Gargoyle can trnasform people into stone by touching them with his right hand, it is one of his powers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_Gargoyle

Fire Brand was likly going to be the fire villain used:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firebrand_(Marvel_Comics)

As for Mandrain, it is always kinda tough to use him, considering his rather unseemly "yellow pearl" origins. I always thought the best thing they did with him is give him his anti technology ideology, it him seem more like Tony's opposite and made seem less a generic Chinese sterotype/meglomanic villain.

The Mandarin in this film was disappointing, all set up and no pay off. Plus being defeat by the power of love is embrassing for a villain.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Opinion changed from The 7D. I didn't like it, because it's often more bland despite the animation and the writing as well. It's kinda more like Teen Titans Go! I don't even blame on Parry Gripp's music.
Has anyone seen the new Sonic the Hedgehog movie yet? I just did and I LOVED IT! It was such a fun and heartwarming movie and I can't wait to see more of Sonic in the sequel (if it gets made)!
You think the 2016 reboot is the worst entry in the Powerpuff Girls franchise? That honor actually goes to "Powerpuff Girls Z". How about that?
I'm one of those people that's more familiar with Sonic's arch-enemy being called "Dr. Ivo Robotnik" rather than "Eggman".

As I mentioned, Melanie Minichino should definitely sing more.