The Incredibles 2 prerelease discussion

Dr.Pepper

Well the long awaited teaser is finall here:
Looks like it is going to focus on Jak Jak getting powers.

(If there is another thread please lock or merge)

Alph

I'm still kind of sad they aren't doing a time skip like in Toy Story 3.

ShadowBlinky

I never really thought it warranted a sequel; then again, I feel that way about a lot of movies.
As long as it's/they're good, I suppose.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Since this was just a teaser trailer, I don't know if that necessarily means that Jak Jak is going to have more focus. They probably just wanted to showcase his powers again. Although, I would have expected that his parents found out about his superpowers by the end of the first movie considering he already had a mask during the ending scene.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
It's the only Pixar sequel I've wanted to see made and I hope it turns out excellent. I have faith in Brad Bird but no filmmaker succeeds every time out.

Although, I would have expected that his parents found out about his superpowers by the end of the first movie considering he already had a mask during the ending scene.

I feel pretty certain they got the news from the babysitter and saw for themselves when he defended himself against Syndrome. Maybe it's a completely original and out of continuity teaser.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Light Lucario

Staff member
I feel pretty certain they got the news from the babysitter and saw for themselves when he defended himself against Syndrome. Maybe it's a completely original and out of continuity teaser.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

I was never sure if they saw how Jak Jak defended himself from Syndrome since they were already pretty high up in the sky by the time he used his powers. Although, that is a good point about the babysitter. Given her phone messages to them and that they had her memories erased in a short, that would have been enough to let them know that Jak Jak had powers. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a original and out of continuity teaser either way.

19MagiswordLane

Anime Superhero's Crooner of Carnage, babe!
First look from Entertainment Weekly:

DQfVfs7VwAEAXiQ.jpg:large

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
Good to see Helen is still the poster woman for thiccness, however this does feel like a retread from the previous movie except the roles are reversed.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Well no because the first Incredibles was about Bob going on secret missions and keeping him still being Mr. Incredible from Helen while here both know more what's going on and Helen is just being pushed to the forefront as a hero likely because it probably sells and promotes a more appeasing marketing image which man does that part feel super relevant in a post Wonder Woman world. I am hoping there is more a focus on the family and not just Bob this time around though the jokes with him being mad about the change in math and his tired expression even during Jack Jack's powers were good.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
Well no because the first Incredibles was about Bob going on secret missions and keeping him still being Mr. Incredible from Helen while here both know more what's going on and Helen is just being pushed to the forefront as a hero likely because it probably sells and promotes a more appeasing marketing image which man does that part feel super relevant in a post Wonder Woman world. I am hoping there is more a focus on the family and not just Bob this time around though the jokes with him being mad about the change in math and his tired expression even during Jack Jack's powers were good.
I saw that trailer as being more relevant in a post-Despicable Me world. Man...what the heck happened?
Is this another of those Venom teasers where it has to first appeal to the gen audience?

Neo Ultra Mike

Is this another of those Venom teasers where it has to first appeal to the gen audience?

The Venom teaser appeased and appealed to NO ONE because the general audience would have no idea what the deal is with this character, or even no real reason to care about what happens either because... nothing was shown or presented in a way that really interest any sort of crowd. Just talk about hardships and undone special effects and then showing a guy spasming on a chair. That isn't something that really grabs anyone regardless or not you know about Venom. And if you did know you'd wonder where the character actually is and why they didn't release the trailer until the effects were done to show him off properly.

Honestly this trailer though is more to appeal to the young kid/child audience like most of Pixar's trailers which have been noted to not really be that good as they're more interested in appeasing to the "young ins" to draw they're attention best even if the movie itself is generally made and can be appreciated for everyone. I mean remember the original teasers for the Incredibles were just "ha ha Bob is fat in his super suit" and family bickering while fighting off robot goons. Pretty sure no one who saw those trailers would of assumed what the plot would really be from them and the same is kind of true here. Since again this movie is suppose to be more a focus on Helen anyway even though this was a very Bob focused trailer since that's likely where most of the comedy comes from in the movie but probably the main story and drama comes from Helen. Guess we'll see when the movie comes out but that's what I'm expecting/hoping.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I'm just glad to actually see the trailer and to see all of the characters I love back in action again. It's the only Pixar sequel I've ever wanted or asked for and it took a lifetime to get it, so I'm praying that it will be great. There's nothing in this teaser that's telling me it can't be.

I remember when I saw the teasers and trailers for the original movie, nothing about it really appealed to me outside of seeing that they had a speedster in the movie, and that ended up being one of my top 10 movies of all time. I'm going into this with no expectations, other than hoping that they use the characters right.

Sent from my AT7-B using Tapatalk

Dudley

Staff member
This movie sells me at two fronts, because I know the adventure and action elements will be (hopefully) good like the first movie, and I’m already sold on Bob’s exploits.
I’ve seen people complain about the whole pro-feminist thing where Helen’s working and Bob being the stay at home dad, but I feel it’s just more complaints so one can feel victimized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
The Venom teaser appeased and appealed to NO ONE...
Thrillers are a hot commodity.

Honestly this trailer though is more to appeal to the young kid/child audience like most of Pixar's trailers which have been noted to not really be that good as they're more interested in appeasing to the "young ins" to draw they're attention best even if the movie itself is generally made and can be appreciated for everyone. I mean remember the original teasers for the Incredibles were just "ha ha Bob is fat in his super suit" and family bickering while fighting off robot goons. Pretty sure no one who saw those trailers would of assumed what the plot would really be from them and the same is kind of true here. Since again this movie is suppose to be more a focus on Helen anyway even though this was a very Bob focused trailer since that's likely where most of the comedy comes from in the movie but probably the main story and drama comes from Helen. Guess we'll see when the movie comes out but that's what I'm expecting/hoping.
The teaser for The Incredibles '04 is one of the most well recognized jokes. The trailer had a ton of random shots no question, but even that gave a better idea of the movie OR teased a better premise if this one turns out to be as is. It showed and told what the focus & story was + had the logline of seeing heroes like never before.

Superheroes & animated flicks might be a hot commodity, but why else pull the generic here's our cute character to tease the sequel? And then the actual trailer is...just as others noted. I'm a little concerned Brad Bird is past his prime for this one or the studio forced upon a less interesting yet more marketable sequel.

Last edited:

Neo Ultra Mike

Thrillers are a hot commodity.

Yes but you actually have to show SOMETHING in the trailer to grab people. The Get Out Trailer for instance didn't reveal the big twist and what the movie was about but had a generally uncomfortable atmosphere and tone and told you enough about the story to know what some aspects of the general structure would be. Same with the It trailer as even the first teaser still showed what Pennywise looked like. Venom didn't do that at all because they released it before the movie was even done thus had nothing to show for itself, thus why it was such a disappointment. Even if you're a thriller you have to show something interesting that will grab someone's attention, especially if it relates to another product. Even The Slender Man trailer for as generic and random as it was, at least freaking showed off Slender Man more then the Venom teaser did.

The teaser for The Incredibles '04 is one of the most well recognized jokes. The trailer had a ton of random shots no question, but even that gave a better idea of the movie OR teased a better premise if this one turns out to be as is. It showed and told what the focus & story was + had the logline of seeing heroes like never before.

I would argue the trailers for Incredibles didn't quite do that as though they were focused on the family antics and some of the super heroics, the whole meat of the story, especially the stuff dealing with Bob's issues of wanting to be a super hero again in a world where that isn't possible, wasn't really addressed or shown as it was more on the family, who don't really get shown off as a unit until the second half of the movie. So really for all we know this trailer is following suit and only showing off a portion of the movie, that may not even be it's full story.

Superheroes & animated flicks might be a hot commodity, but why else pull the generic here's our cute character to tease the sequel?

That's again just something you do with sequels. One of the first teasers of Toy Story 3 was of the aliens and Despicable Me's teasers are all Minions based and heck even Frozen's first teaser was Olaf and Sven. It's something to get the child's attention and doesn't always relate to the core of the movie just something to interest kids in what's happening. I've been in movies with that trailer, Heck even recently with Early Man and kids were laughing and perked up seeing Jack Jack and his powers so I guess that format does work.

And then the actual trailer is...just as others noted. I'm a little concerned Brad Bird is past his prime for this one or the studio forced upon a less interesting yet more marketable sequel.

Well for all we know it could turn out being sour and not the greatest but I remain optomistic. Bird again did talk before about what the focus would be and honestly wouldn't of made this movie if he didn't have some sort of passion for it considering how much time has gone past since the original so I still think it's going to be good. I could always be proven wrong but I think we should only count the film as a failure when it actually comes out, not promotional material before. Since again Pixar movies don't usually have good trailers. The Inside Out one honestly wasn't that good and that movie is a master piece so this could be the same for all we know.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
Yes but you actually have to show SOMETHING in the trailer to grab people...Even if you're a thriller you have to show something interesting that will grab someone's attention, especially if it relates to another product. Even The Slender Man trailer for as generic and random as it was, at least freaking showed off Slender Man more then the Venom teaser did.

Which...they did o_O You're only really talking about seeing Venom itself and not the symbiote tease, not the aftermath of its crash, not all those action shots, not him alluding to what happened and how that's been affecting him. It's a teaser meant for the gen. audience as I said in much the same way as this looks tailor-made to have possibly come from any animation studio.

I would argue the trailers for Incredibles didn't quite do that as though they were focused on the family antics and some of the super heroics, the whole meat of the story, especially the stuff dealing with Bob's issues of wanting to be a super hero again in a world where that isn't possible, wasn't really addressed or shown as it was more on the family, who don't really get shown off as a unit until the second half of the movie. So really for all we know this trailer is following suit and only showing off a portion of the movie, that may not even be it's full story.
The focus was on Bob as he was the most featured character (being old, being fat). Heck, they even have that hologram moment when he got the call. I also just obviously prefer all the little things they do as they're using their powers escalating to the logline, "Discover the Side of Superheroes like You've Never Seen Before" interspersed within a montage of money shots with its score in the b/g.

The focus is again on Bob in this sequel trailer.

That's again just something you do with sequels. One of the first teasers of Toy Story 3 was of the aliens and Despicable Me's teasers are all Minions based and heck even Frozen's first teaser was Olaf and Sven. It's something to get the child's attention and doesn't always relate to the core of the movie just something to interest kids in what's happening. I've been in movies with that trailer, Heck even recently with Early Man and kids were laughing and perked up seeing Jack Jack and his powers so I guess that format does work.
That's what I'm saying. I didn't look at this getting the impression that this is the next installment to one of the best Pixar movies out there. Finding Dory, Monsters University...heck even Cars 3 (which is from the least interesting franchise just threw it in there because trailers really pumped you up) knew how to market.
Well for all we know it could turn out being sour and not the greatest but I remain optimistic. Bird again did talk before about what the focus would be and honestly wouldn't of made this movie if he didn't have some sort of passion for it considering how much time has gone past since the original so I still think it's going to be good. I could always be proven wrong but I think we should only count the film as a failure when it actually comes out, not promotional material before. Since again Pixar movies don't usually have good trailers. The Inside Out one honestly wasn't that good and that movie is a master piece so this could be the same for all we know.
The Incredibles is one those Pixar movies that can't & shouldn't rely on scenic/painstakingly detailed + creative visuals as much as its creative spin on story and characters in this world full of supers.

Neo Ultra Mike

Which...they did o_O You're only really talking about seeing Venom itself and not the symbiote tease, not the aftermath of its crash, not all those action shots, not him alluding to what happened and how that's been affecting him. It's a teaser meant for the gen. audience as I said in much the same way as this looks tailor-made to have possibly come from any animation studio.

There's nothing in this for a general audience though as the action shots are obviously not finished yet so you have a lot of shots which should have VX work but don't so aren't really appeasing, and a narration talking about a character being turned into something that mostly just shows him walking around or spasming on a table. How is that something that appeals to really anyone? People who don't know the source material aren't going to care about black ooze just shown in a quick shot or really even know what the movie or character is about other then again just a guy walking around sad and then moving his head around on a table. Every other major super hero trailer, especially one that's suppose to be the hero's debut either actually tells you something about the person and they're journey (Deadpool, Suicide Squad etc) or even showcases the uniqueness of they're world and look (Doctor Strange) to draw people in. Venom doesn't do that. Some people are excited to see this movie to see Venom obviously but they didn't show Venom here which is a major disservice to the character and brand.

The focus was on Bob as he was the most featured character (being old, being fat). Heck, they even have that hologram moment when he got the call. I also just obviously prefer all the little things they do as they're using their powers escalating to the logline, "Discover the Side of Superheroes like You've Never Seen Before" interspersed within a montage of money shots with its score in the b/g.

The thing is we also have the power of hindsight and of knowing how the first movie turned out to see how it's trailer images work which we don't have with Incredibles 2. Because honestly when I first saw teasers and trailers for the Incredibles attached to movies around the time and even on air... I wasn't interested in seeing the movie on the big screen because it just looked like "ha ha there's this old fat guy who use to be a super hero" and they were playing that joke over and over and I didn't find it that appealing so I didn't watch the movie when it went to theaters. I saw it again on the Disney Channel years later and loved it but that was only because of how everyone was praising the movie AFTER IT CAME OUT not telling me "oh that advertising really hooked me" more "oh I heard it was really good and it was you need to see it."

The focus is again on Bob in this sequel trailer.

Well that's again where probably a good deal of comedy for this movie comes from that appeals to kids and since everyone loved him from the first movie it makes sense to focus on him again even if this isn't his story. Again I'm going off what Brad Bird has said about this movie being Helen's story when i say it's supposed to be more about her then about Bob here.

That's what I'm saying. I didn't look at this getting the impression that this is the next installment to one of the best Pixar movies out there. Finding Dory, Monsters University...heck even Cars 3 (which is from the least interesting franchise just threw it in there because trailers really pumped you up) knew how to market.

Honestly there wasn't any particular unique promotion or showcase with Finding Dory really as that like this movie is banking on how much of a hit and spectacle the first movie was so just telling people "oh hey we're making a sequel for it" was all that was needed. There was a lot of buzz and talk of the FIRST teaser for Cars 3 with that promotion but that buzz died down pretty quickly when you realized "oh wait this isn't as much a movie about Lightning going through a major wreck and what happens to him afterward" and more a story of him vs a younger racer. Not to mention that movie had to be marketted differently because of generally disliked and uppeasing Cars 2 was by pretty much everyone that they had to shout pretty loudly "this isn't as a Mater story again don't worry we learned our lessons on that" in some form to the general populace. I admit Monsters University had a unique type of promotion and showcase of it's trailers in presentation framing them as parodies of college commercials but that was also because it was more of a prequel obviously doing something very different then we saw with the characters previously so really had to sell that difference. Incredibles 2 doesn't and again is just trying to get kids invested as this is actually a sequel from pixar everyone has asked for and are just waiting to see.

The Incredibles is one those Pixar movies that can't & shouldn't rely on scenic/painstakingly detailed + creative visuals as much as its creative spin on story and characters in this world full of supers.

And for all we know that's what it's doing. Again if the movie I'll be the first one to point that out to others but we don't know what the final product will be and based on other Pixar movies the trailers may just be showing the least interesting parts and have a much better story then what we see here like again Inside Out. Not to mention that well... at this point in the age of Superhero movies trying to showcase an epic plot or super high stakes or it's more dramatic tone elements would make it seem like a lot of other super hero movies coming out. The family connection/bright animation and kids appeal is what sets it apart so that should be showcased a bit so people don't just get a "well it's just another super hero movie do we really need another one of those" vibe from it.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts