"The Hudsucker Proxy" Talkback

dlmx-13

I do like this movie - and I'm also not a fan of Fargo or The Big Lebowski. You may also like Raising Arizona, another early Coen Brothers film - it is, without a doubt, the funniest movie I have ever seen. At the very least, it's worth seeing for an excellent Warner Bros.-style chase scene through a convenience store - the entire film is essentially a live action cartoon.

Funky Al

I ate the WHOLE PLATE!
Hudsucker Proxy is actually available through Netflix instant streaming, so if you don't feel like hunting down the DVD,
eyyyy.....

Maxie Zeus

Upside Down
Long live the Hud!

I'd strongly commend several movies to other Hudsucker fans, less because they are similar to that movie than because they were clearly inspirational to it.

Amy Archer is clearly modeled off Rosalind Russell's fast-talking reporter in His Girl Friday. It's a fantastic movie on its own--one of the best ever made--and everyone should see it at least once. Animation fans should close their eyes and see if they can pick out the actor (hint: he plays another reporter) who gave his voice to Disney's Jiminy Cricket.

How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying is like a big, musicalized version of Hudsucker, albeit without all the arch-plotting by company bigwigs. Robert Morse plays a window-washer to rises to the top of a giant corporation in the space of a few days.

The Solid Gold Cadillac features Judy Holliday (who, btw, seems to have been an inspiration to BTAS's Harley Quinn) as a small-time, sharp-witted stockholder who beats the crooks who have been looting the company she owns shares in.

Finally, there's Executive Suite. The above-named movies are all comedies, but this one is a drama. But it is also the closest to the Hudsucker in terms of plot--I suspect the Coens cribbed the situation and the general theme from this movie--as it's about the scheming, backstabbing, insider-trading, and other delicious whatnot that ensues after the founder of a large corporation drops dead. Must be seen at the very least for Frederic March's performance, which in terms of mannerism and overall creepiness eerily anticipates Richard Nixon.

TenPoundHammer

Wheel of Fortune winner, 12/8/17
Big Lipped Alligator Moment never gets old. No matter who's using it.

Sounds like a film I might like. That's one thing I find most interesting about your articles, Peter — you have such diverse range.

TenPoundHammer

Wheel of Fortune winner, 12/8/17
Hey, the mainpage link to this article is broken. You put a /fpo in where you shouldn't have.

Dsneybuf

Warner has announced that a Blu-Ray will come next year, but they will only sell it through the Warner Archive.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Warner has announced that a Blu-Ray will come next year, but they will only sell it through the Warner Archive.

How does that work? Is it a burned Blu-Ray (a BD-R)?
You'll tell me when it's available, right? I don't know where I'd receive notification of such a thing.

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
They press (i-e no BD-R's involved) small quantities of the title. We're all presuming that Warner will press more when the initial stock runs out.

Dsneybuf

You'll tell me when it's available, right? I don't know where I'd receive notification of such a thing.
I don't buy anything from the Warner Archive, but I'll let you know if I learn the release date. Blu-Ray.com will probably put it up.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
The Hud Blu-Ray is out and I have one. I guess it goes without saying, but the transfer is much better than the grimy, scratchy 1999 DVD version. The lossless audio reveals how polished the music editing and sound effects were. You can also read all the tiny print on the newspapers, so you can find out exactly what day certain events took place.

All this time I thought Amy was holding a tape recorder up to Moses; turns out she was offering him a cigarette.

Dsneybuf

Which still amounts to less than the German Blu-ray. Did you read the whole review?

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Which still amounts to less than the German Blu-ray. Did you read the whole review?
The site wasn't up at the time, so I had to read the Google cache, which was saved December 31, 2018. Apparently the page was updated January 5, 2019.

Looks like the German disc also has a better transfer at a higher bitrate AND it's region free, so any American schmoe can have it.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!

Featured Posts