The History of Children's Cable Channels Airing/Promoting Inappropriate Content

SpaceCowboy

I remember flipping channels once and coming across Doctor Who on Disney XD with Rose blurting out "Where the [muted] were you?". They weren't fooling anyone with the censoring. lol

Last edited:

SpaceCowboy

Imagine if they aired the classic run instead.
The '60s series? That would either bore their target demo or scare them.

Now that you mention it, I'm surprised the classic series hasn't been rerun on American TV in decades. We do get a lot of the newer series though on Syfy.

Last edited:

mimitchi33

Lovely, in my most wonderful way!
I remember flipping channels once and coming across Doctor Who on Disney XD with Rose blurting out "Where the [muted] were you?". They weren't fooling anyone with the censoring. lol
Reminds me of how Treehouse TV censored Friendship is Magic (yes, you read that right!). One line went something like "I had to, you [MUTED]!", with the word in question being "fools".

Zorak Masaki

Not as bad as some examples, but the Hub aired the Clue movie back in the day. Nothing too bad (aside from a brief scene in the beginning where Mr. Boddy tries to grope his maid), but most of that movie would go over most kids heads.

Ghostbuster

Inside No. 9
Nick UK used to air quite a bit of "inappropriate" content. A couple of things that come to mind is Moesha discussing condoms and her brother almost saying bull****.

There was also a scene in Sabrina when one of Sabrina's two aunts describes themselves as a pair of knockers (they were talking about canvassing door to door).

Speaking of inappropriate content, this series for kids has just been released in Denmark Denmark launches children's TV show about man with giant penis

"John Dillermand has an extraordinary penis. So extraordinary, in fact, that it can perform rescue operations, etch murals, hoist a flag and even steal ice-cream from children.

The Danish equivalent of the BBC, DR, has a new animated series aimed at four- to eight-year-olds about John Dillermand, the man with the world’s longest penis who overcomes hardships and challenges with his record-breaking genitals."

John Dillermand literally means John “penis-man” in Danish slang.

Dr.Pepper

Speaking of inappropriate content, this series for kids has just been released in Denmark Denmark launches children's TV show about man with giant penis

"John Dillermand has an extraordinary penis. So extraordinary, in fact, that it can perform rescue operations, etch murals, hoist a flag and even steal ice-cream from children.

The Danish equivalent of the BBC, DR, has a new animated series aimed at four- to eight-year-olds about John Dillermand, the man with the world’s longest penis who overcomes hardships and challenges with his record-breaking genitals."

This is literally the sickest thing I’ve seen. If this was Robot Chicken, or heck, even SNL I wouldn’t bat an eyelash.

AdrenalineRush1996

Nick UK used to air quite a bit of "inappropriate" content. A couple of things that come to mind is Moesha discussing condoms and her brother almost saying bull****.

There was also a scene in Sabrina when one of Sabrina's two aunts describes themselves as a pair of knockers (they were talking about canvassing door to door).

What were DR thinking about greenlighting this show?

Dantheman

Has Disney Channel ever played anything rated TV-14?
I remember in the late '90s/early 2000s Disney Channel airing the Alan Smithee cut of David Lynch's Dune, the one with the new intro that had painted still images that explained the back story of the Dune universe. I don't know what kind of TV rating that version of Dune usually has, but being David Lynch, it's probably up there.

Dr.Pepper

I remember in the late '90s/early 2000s Disney Channel airing the Alan Smithee cut of David Lynch's Dune, the one with the new intro that had painted still images that explained the back story of the Dune universe. I don't know what kind of TV rating that version of Dune usually has, but being David Lynch, it's probably up there.
That’s weird. I don’t remember that. I’m guessing it was TV-PG.

Zorak Masaki

Did any of the airings of Roger Rabbit on Children's Channels keep in the "booby trap" scene?

Pooky

The UK DVD release of that cut was rated 15+, like the theatrical version (when it was in UK cinemas it had a few scenes trimmed\censored to get a UK PG rating, but home video releases were uncut). I never really got why though, and when the theatrical version was released on Blu-Ray it was downgraded to 12+, so presumably the TV cut would follow if it were rated now.

Dantheman

The UK DVD release of that cut was rated 15+, like the theatrical version (when it was in UK cinemas it had a few scenes trimmed\censored to get a UK PG rating, but home video releases were uncut). I never really got why though, and when the theatrical version was released on Blu-Ray it was downgraded to 12+, so presumably the TV cut would follow if it were rated now.
I've heard Baron Harkonnen unplugging a slave's heart plug and the Beast Rabban preparing and enjoying his rat slurpee are usually cut from edited-for-TV versions, so it was likely the same for Disney Channel.

Pooky

I've heard Baron Harkonnen unplugging a slave's heart plug and the Beast Rabban preparing and enjoying his rat slurpee are usually cut from edited-for-TV versions, so it was likely the same for Disney Channel.
I can't remember if the rat slurpee, but the heart plug is definitely cut from the Smithee version.

Dr.Pepper

Kind of off topic, but according to TV Tropes Peter Pan (the Disney version) aired on TV with a TV-14 rating because of the stereotyped Natives. Does anybody know what channel(s) this was?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I get my first Fauci Ouchie today. Little nervous. I don't like getting stuck and I hope there aren't any side effects.
We have major Spongebob news.

I don't know about you, but I'd think it would be best if WarnerMedia rebrand TruTV and make Adult Swim a 24-Hour channel, and make Cartoon Network a 24-Hour channel again, but that's just wishful thinking.
Dan Milano said how Nickelodeon did submit a Glitch Techs nomination for the Annie Awards, but it wasn't taken.

Featured Posts