The History of Children's Cable Channels Airing/Promoting Inappropriate Content

RDG

Aspiring animator/filmmaker and Ugliest Man Alive
For some time now, children's cable networks like Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon have been promoting and airing movies that aren't suitable for their target audience. Cartoon Network used to do this from 2005-2008, airing movies that should've aired on Adult Swim instead, like The Goonies (which they rated TV-14), and Justice League: The New Frontier (which Adult Swim's Toonami will soon be airing) and the original Toonami airing movies like Batman 1989 and Hellboy: Sword of Storms. They even had "A Month of Miyazaki" in March of 2006 and 2007, where they showed several Miyazaki movies completely uncut. This wasn't limited to movies either; when CN revived Hole in the Wall (previously aired on Fox) in the early 2010's, only ONE episode was rated TV-14 (Abracadabra vs Steer Clear). Now, after all these years, they're going to simulcast the 2017 Wonder Woman film along with TBS and TNT this Sunday night, in anticipation for WW 1984, and that's not even mentioning the channel's pre-Adult Swim years.
Nickelodeon and Nicktoons have been ESPECIALLY guilty of this recently as well, airing the more recent Star Trek movies on the MAIN channel, an hour BEFORE the network switched to Nick@Nite, and Nicktoons even simulcasting the 2017 Power Rangers movie along with Nick@Nite (TeenNick should've simulcast it instead of Nicktoons), and N@N's reruns of Big Bang Theory spin-off Young Sheldon were promoted WITHOUT saying it would be on N@N, with Nick airing school-themed episodes of SpongeBob as a lead-in. Also, years ago, Nicktoons' NickSports block (which, thankfully, is no more), aired movies such as Harlem Globetrotters: The Team that Changed the World (which was rated TV-14), and Bend it Like Beckham (TV-14-L).
Even Disney XD used to do this; in 2013, they had a special 3-night event called Disney Fandom, aimed only at ages 13+ (and reflected in DXD's switching to DF, similar to CN switching to AS, or main Nick switching to N@N, the latter without any warning); in 2017, they launched a programming block aimed specifically at that age group called DXP (although all of that block's content was rated TV-PG and meant for "General Audiences"); however, a year later, they ran a special live coverage of E3 2018 (despite E3 being an ADULTS-ONLY affair), which contained content WAY beyond what's considered for "General Audiences"; although they aired a disclaimer saying that the coverage contained content that may not be suitable for younger viewers, they tried to censor the whole thing, leaving it a complete mess. Thankfully, DXP was also discontinued later on, with Parker Plays and Player Select being the only surviving shows.

RDG

And NOW CN will air the 2017 Justice League movie on January 18

mimitchi33

Lovely, in my most wonderful way!
Cartoon Network once aired Dumb and Dumber, of all movies, but it was edited. Notably, instead of showing the infamous toilet scene, they cut it out and made it cut to a commercial break instead.
And then there's the practice of local insertion sometimes causing ads not suitable for the target audience to come on. A few I've read about happening are an ad for a Nick Swardson comedy special where he mentioned pot brownies playing during the local insertion slot of an episode of The Amazing World of Gumball and an ad for Adam and Eve playing on Nickelodeon right before SpongeBob came on.

kanc

Nickelodeon will be airing Clueless movie, rated TV-14 on Sunday at 7pm! 8pm would be switched to nick@nite. Not the first time, but Thurs Sept 24 8pm did air Clueless before switching to 9pm nick at nite.

On Mon Aug 26, 2019 7pm hour Nick aired Friends (one of those episodes, like Ross Sandwich) rated TV-14, it didn't get screenbug at all, only VMA 2019 countdown. Also they didn't air kids content commercials, just adult commercials. 8pm has VMA 2019, 9pm would switch nick@nite.

I can agree with adult content should not air on Nick

Low Spark of Lyman

Throw me a role, Jon.
And then there's the practice of local insertion sometimes causing ads not suitable for the target audience to come on. A few I've read about happening are an ad for a Nick Swardson comedy special where he mentioned pot brownies playing during the local insertion slot of an episode of The Amazing World of Gumball and an ad for Adam and Eve playing on Nickelodeon right before SpongeBob came on.
I remember a thread somewhere on this site where there was a link to copies of official complaints concerning commercials (and shows) airing on CN throughout 2014 (I recall the Nick Swardson one being one of them). However, some of the complaints were about material that aired during Adult Swim hours. Plus, there was one commercial brought up that was interpreted as promoting smoking when it was doing the exact opposite (in fact, it's been nearly 50 years since a smoking commercial has aired in the U.S.).

Back to the original topic: I think the networks try to occasionally air more mature content under the assumption that viewers will do so responsibly, and that they often take out more controversial scenes to lessen the chances of an uproar (the films by Miyazaki being an exception, and only because of his policy), and they usually, if not always, air during later hours. You'll also notice this is only done occasionally (at least when it comes to movies).

As for "when CN revived Hole in the Wall (previously aired on Fox) in the early 2010's, only ONE episode was rated TV-14 (Abracadabra vs Steer Clear)": wasn't that due to a profanity that showed up unexpectedly? Also, "only ONE episode" sounds like wasn't a big deal.

Reactions: RDG

Zorak Masaki

Didnt Disney Channel air Adventures in Babysitting (the original from 1987) back in the day? That included a character calling Thor (as in the Marvel character) a gay slur, a Playboy magazine as a plot point, and a f-bomb from the main character (they likely edited the latter).

mimitchi33

Lovely, in my most wonderful way!
I remember a thread somewhere on this site where there was a link to copies of official complaints concerning commercials (and shows) airing on CN throughout 2014 (I recall the Nick Swardson one being one of them). However, some of the complaints were about material that aired during Adult Swim hours. Plus, there was one commercial brought up that was interpreted as promoting smoking when it was doing the exact opposite (in fact, it's been nearly 50 years since a smoking commercial has aired in the U.S.).

Back to the original topic: I think the networks try to occasionally air more mature content under the assumption that viewers will do so responsibly, and that they often take out more controversial scenes to lessen the chances of an uproar (the films by Miyazaki being an exception, and only because of his policy), and they usually, if not always, air during later hours. You'll also notice this is only done occasionally (at least when it comes to movies).

As for "when CN revived Hole in the Wall (previously aired on Fox) in the early 2010's, only ONE episode was rated TV-14 (Abracadabra vs Steer Clear)": wasn't that due to a profanity that showed up unexpectedly? Also, "only ONE episode" sounds like wasn't a big deal.
Yes, that was where the two ad examples came from. The Adam and Eve one actually came from a similar complaints list.
Didnt Disney Channel air Adventures in Babysitting (the original from 1987) back in the day? That included a character calling Thor (as in the Marvel character) a gay slur, a Playboy magazine as a plot point, and a f-bomb from the main character (they likely edited the latter).
It did. I also remember reading that Nickelodeon aired it sometime in 2010 or 2011.

Dr.Pepper

If they played the movie after they moved to basic cable, it was almost certainly edited.

Low Spark of Lyman

Throw me a role, Jon.
Yes, that was where the two ad examples came from.
And here it is: Cartoon Network FCC complaints (Teen Titans Go!, Clarence and others)

So some of the show complaints were about ones that were on Adult Swim, or even a completely different channel. As for the commercials, they are the responsibility of cable companies, not the networks* in question. And I've already explained how the anti-smoking PSA was misunderstood.

*This is why you can see a Nickelodeon show being advertised on CN, for example.

Reactions: RDG

RDG

Here's the Parental Advisory warning for the Wonder Woman movie AND, apparently, the whole thing wasn't edited!

Last edited:

SpaceCowboy

If they played the movie after they moved to basic cable, it was almost certainly edited.
It was probably a "network-TV" edit meant for over-the-air broadcast, which seems to be the version currently used for Disney Plus. I recall Disney Channel editing movies like Splash and Beetle Juice for content back when they aired them in the '90s.

Last edited:

Zorak Masaki

It was probably a "network-TV" edit meant for over-the-air broadcast, which seems to be the version currently used for Disney Plus. I recall Disney Channel editing movies like Splash and Beetle Juice for content back when they aired them in the '90s.
According to IMDB, they also cut Ghostbusters (not a Disney or even Disney-owned movie strangely enough), which is where the "Wally Wick" edit comes from.

RDG

Some screenshots of Star Trek Beyond airing on Nicktoons (which is STILL a stupid decision to me)

Attachments

• IMG_20201227_220040.jpg
    IMG_20201227_220040.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20201227_220046.jpg
    IMG_20201227_220046.jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20201227_220606.jpg
    IMG_20201227_220606.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20201227_220614.jpg
    IMG_20201227_220614.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 28

RDG

Not really stupid when you consider that Star Trek and Nickelodeon are owned by Viacom CBS.
I meant to say something like this that's rated TV-14 doesn't belong on a channel like Nicktoons.
EDIT: Oh, and Power Rangers (2017) is airing right now

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I get my first Fauci Ouchie today. Little nervous. I don't like getting stuck and I hope there aren't any side effects.
We have major Spongebob news.

I don't know about you, but I'd think it would be best if WarnerMedia rebrand TruTV and make Adult Swim a 24-Hour channel, and make Cartoon Network a 24-Hour channel again, but that's just wishful thinking.
Dan Milano said how Nickelodeon did submit a Glitch Techs nomination for the Annie Awards, but it wasn't taken.

Featured Posts