The hate on Calarts style?

powerjake

Banned
Why do some people generalize the hate on this too much saying, if it has the calarts style they already assume that its a horrible cartoon. I mean there are good cartoons in that calarts style such as Chowder, The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack, Adventure Time, Gravity Falls, and Over The Garden Wall. Its a common complaint its overused but not all shows that used that style are bad.

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
I don’t consider Chowder CalArts. It is thin lined but it’s style is still unique. I’d call it CarlArts.
Cal Arts is such a general and stupid term that it can mean anything, John K who first coined the term used it to describe cartoons that were trying to ape the Disney aesthetic and I met people who called Samurai Jack Cal Arts/

TheCartoonRailfan

Where's my senior discount?
Maybe it's because people think a lot of the newer cartoons look highly similar to one another. Those arguments contain no value. Despite what the viewers believe, the shows are all different.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
It's a NON-ARGUMENT places like 4chan and their ilk love to make to condemn Western Animation unfairly, despite overlooking daily how cheap and and overdone MOST ANIME IN GENERAL can be, save for proven hits that happen to be such and deserve actual positive recognition.

If anything, it's just a huge, huge part of mostly one-sided (in favor of anime) East Vs. West arguments I see regularly outside of here and simply can't stand seeing, honestly.
All nothing but opinions they treat as fact that really do need to be thrown in the sewage, already.

I stand by this as FACT - calling something CalArts really has devolved into what it is: a petty insult to people who actually do otherwise want to make great cartoons, despite certain limitations getting in the way sometimes. It's disrespectful and pathetic. I'd like to see people who use such petty insults make their own stuff and actually make it good, as well. They're not brave enough if petty insults like this are what they resort to, honestly.

KeldeoKitty

Slacker Musketeer
Besides that would be like saying all anime look the same. I used to think Pokémon and Yu-Gi-Oh were created by the same person.

Zanneck

It has. Ever since John Kricfalusi was outed as a pedophile people have stopped taking his dumbass opinions seriously. It's long overdue.

Hallelujah on that. Now if only someone could tell that to the likes of 4chan... They're the reason CalArts is still used as an insult, as it is.

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I do not have a problem with CalArts. It's not my favorite style, but I think it's fine. I am pretty open to different animation styles, I have seen enough tv animation to know that each art style has pluses and minuses. Really tv animation does not have the big budgets animated films have, so they have to find ways to work within a reasonable budget and still makes things look reasonably good.

powerjake

Banned
Cal Arts is such a general and stupid term that it can mean anything, John K who first coined the term used it to describe cartoons that were trying to ape the Disney aesthetic and I met people who called Samurai Jack Cal Arts/

It has. Ever since John Kricfalusi was outed as a pedophile people have stopped taking his dumbass opinions seriously. It's long overdue.

So the Calarts thing came from the infamous toxic trash John K, that is a nightmare he came up with that saying.

Zanneck

So the Calarts thing came from the infamous toxic trash John K, that is a nightmare he came up with that saying.

And yet, there are still plenty of websites out there still defending this pedophile, as well as his stance on it - which really has continued to devolve into "I don't like this BECAUSE _________, that's why."
It really is that childish... And yet unless it's something legit popular, a lot of anime aren't better off. Everybody got their ups and downs and it's shameful how we've forgotten that.

Zanneck

Most creators from the last decade didn't even go to CalArts, including Rebecca Sugar.

Well, that just further proves anyone on 4chan and the like are idiots for using it as a derogative / condescension towards Western Animation in general, then. The real issue are execs being cheaper than necessary and not allowing for more unique and therefore, pricier style choices to thrive, to be more serious about it.

KeldeoKitty

Slacker Musketeer
Most creators from the last decade didn't even go to CalArts, including Rebecca Sugar.
There’s also tons of animators from CalArts who did work before the 2010’s.

Craig McCracken, Stephen Hillenburg, Genndy Tartakovsky, Butch Hartman, Rob Renzetti, etc.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts