The hate on Calarts style?

Latest News & Videos

powerjake

Aug 4, 2019
Mexico
Why do some people generalize the hate on this too much saying, if it has the calarts style they already assume that its a horrible cartoon. I mean there are good cartoons in that calarts style such as Chowder, The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack, Adventure Time, Gravity Falls, and Over The Garden Wall. Its a common complaint its overused but not all shows that used that style are bad.

Reactions: I.R. Shokew

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
Nov 1, 2013
I don’t consider Chowder CalArts. It is thin lined but it’s style is still unique. I’d call it CarlArts.
Cal Arts is such a general and stupid term that it can mean anything, John K who first coined the term used it to describe cartoons that were trying to ape the Disney aesthetic and I met people who called Samurai Jack Cal Arts/

I.R. Shokew

HAIL NEO ARCADIA!
Sep 26, 2011
Neo Arcadia, USA
It's a NON-ARGUMENT places like 4chan and their ilk love to make to condemn Western Animation unfairly, despite overlooking daily how cheap and and overdone MOST ANIME IN GENERAL can be, save for proven hits that happen to be such and deserve actual positive recognition.

If anything, it's just a huge, huge part of mostly one-sided (in favor of anime) East Vs. West arguments I see regularly outside of here and simply can't stand seeing, honestly.
All nothing but opinions they treat as fact that really do need to be thrown in the sewage, already.

I stand by this as FACT - calling something CalArts really has devolved into what it is: a petty insult to people who actually do otherwise want to make great cartoons, despite certain limitations getting in the way sometimes. It's disrespectful and pathetic. I'd like to see people who use such petty insults make their own stuff and actually make it good, as well. They're not brave enough if petty insults like this are what they resort to, honestly.

Reactions: Spacething7474

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
I do not have a problem with CalArts. It's not my favorite style, but I think it's fine. I am pretty open to different animation styles, I have seen enough tv animation to know that each art style has pluses and minuses. Really tv animation does not have the big budgets animated films have, so they have to find ways to work within a reasonable budget and still makes things look reasonably good.

powerjake

Aug 4, 2019
Mexico
Cal Arts is such a general and stupid term that it can mean anything, John K who first coined the term used it to describe cartoons that were trying to ape the Disney aesthetic and I met people who called Samurai Jack Cal Arts/
It has. Ever since John Kricfalusi was outed as a pedophile people have stopped taking his dumbass opinions seriously. It's long overdue.
So the Calarts thing came from the infamous toxic trash John K, that is a nightmare he came up with that saying.

I.R. Shokew

HAIL NEO ARCADIA!
Sep 26, 2011
Neo Arcadia, USA
So the Calarts thing came from the infamous toxic trash John K, that is a nightmare he came up with that saying.
And yet, there are still plenty of websites out there still defending this pedophile, as well as his stance on it - which really has continued to devolve into "I don't like this BECAUSE _________, that's why."
It really is that childish... And yet unless it's something legit popular, a lot of anime aren't better off. Everybody got their ups and downs and it's shameful how we've forgotten that.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Opinion changed from The 7D. I didn't like it, because it's often more bland despite the animation and the writing as well. It's kinda more like Teen Titans Go! I don't even blame on Parry Gripp's music.
Has anyone seen the new Sonic the Hedgehog movie yet? I just did and I LOVED IT! It was such a fun and heartwarming movie and I can't wait to see more of Sonic in the sequel (if it gets made)!
You think the 2016 reboot is the worst entry in the Powerpuff Girls franchise? That honor actually goes to "Powerpuff Girls Z". How about that?
I'm one of those people that's more familiar with Sonic's arch-enemy being called "Dr. Ivo Robotnik" rather than "Eggman".

As I mentioned, Melanie Minichino should definitely sing more.