The Grand Unified Abridged Series' Talkback Thread (...Spoilers?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoujoaifan

I was going to give my own opinion on the this ol' debacle, and I had and still have things both negative and positive to say about both groups, but eh, its all been said before, and I'd rather not escalate things.

Plus, I'm kinda partial to a thread that has 132 pages and has over 2, 600 posts. I'd rather not see it get closed :sweat: (Its gotta be, what, like the 3rd or even 2nd largest thread on Toonzone? I'm sure the AS FLCL thread was/is bigger).

So, umm, I'll counter with something just as controversial!: I only think SMA has only begin to suck only recently! The last THREE episodes to be precise!

Let me explain. Normally, I don't care much for abridge series where the character is so extreme or given a few OOC traits, that eventually the characters aren't even reflections of the "real" ones anymore. But with SMA, I'm more lenient since, well, that's the appeal of the episodes anyway.

Maybe it hipocritical. Maybe its because you would have to be lenient when its comes to a series like this. Maybe its because I used to like the show as a kid, then hated it, and now sort of like in a fond, it was "Sometimes-So-Bad-Its-Good-Way", like early Power Rangers. Or maybe I'm hipocritical :p

One thing in my defence was that I watched it with my little cousin, who liked the show when it was on air and has begun watching the series off you-know-where recently. Maybe that's it, that watching things with something will make you less critical, while enjoying the humor for humor's sake while laughing your gut out with your friends/family.

..................................that being said, the series has gone down. Ep. #19 couldn't be helped, since it was a very serious episode (...then again, Beserk did do a good job making a grim series hilarious, so maybe not so hard). BUT the 2 episodes afterward have definatelydipped down. I laughed once or twice at the "Jupiter is a transsexual" jokes, which thankfully did not show in the newest one, which had its own problems with being WAAAAAAY too mean.

Also, my cuz and me watched the SMA in about 2 or 3 days, so anticipation did not raise our hopes much.

...............also I think Naruto Abridged has been slowly dipping since the Zabuza saga, Negi being OOC wasn't too bad, but I can't stand Shino being lazy, and not both lazy but still a genious, which will screw things up SOOOO much in future episodes, and I think the latest NTAS is the first in a long time to show any sign of improvement, while I like OOC Reye from SMA, and I shall now forever be knwon as Captain Hipocritical!

..................................................................in my defense, Naruto Abridged was always far above SMA, so the fall was worse. But its improving.

So what do you think Sir's? (5000 Non-Points to whoever gets that reference.)

Chaltab

Burninated Peasant
You know, it's kind of weird... a lot of the Abridged Series-creating community is getting really tight nit, yet the Teen Titans Abridged team has the creator of Wedding Peach in its voice cast... yet we almost never talk to her outside of TTA related stuff.

I guess only the more popular shows have their creators buddying up.

AyakaChan

The chick with the sword.
Wow. All of you. Just wow.

Borinyukami said shut up. And you're getting upset over it. Honestly, this is a sad day in the abridged "community."

He didn't say anything wrong. And what he did was, say that this is where people were wrong. He didn't point out names, and he didn't say to "all of our critics, 'F U' "

What he did was respond "angrily" to something that has been among our debates since the council has started.

Since he stepped up, and said something about it, it makes him wrong to say shut up?

You said it yourselves, we should drop this topic. Now, thats what I got from it. He said "We've let you complain, and moan about what we've done for 4 months, now here is a message to those of you who can't handle the idea of people working together."

And he said "Shut up." With a Mr. T shirt saying "shut up fool."

If you're getting offended over that, than you in no way have the right to call yourself a decent critic, or comedian for that matter.

He stood up for himself, and his friends, and I'm pretty sure he knew he was going to get a response like this, but he was willing to take the heat if it meant for five minutes, he can say what he's been holding in.

The fun ended the very moment everyone turned this forum into a debate topic over if something should be allowed to be said by an abridgest.

If you're going to get offended at someone sayings shut up to you, then "make sure your brain is in gear, before engaging in mouth."

Yeah, he created something, you criticized, and he criticized back. Now you're pissed at him. Congratulations.

GWOtaku

Staff member
Reporter
Look, this stuff is why I've mostly stayed out of this thread. We're now trying to put it aside and move on to what the thread is actually about, so please do the same.

HellCat

Lesser spotted Brit
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZQEpfE1M6A

00...abridged?

Halo?

Hmm, well, it was inevitable. I hope the guy behind this does a good job.

Second time seeing that and I don't really see how it suggests an Abridged. I think something funnier would have worked whilst this seems more like a straight up fan trailer.

Ah well. The projected 2009 release gives others a chance to try...

Chaltab

Burninated Peasant
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZQEpfE1M6A

00...abridged?

Halo?

Hmm, well, it was inevitable. I hope the guy behind this does a good job.

I'm still not sure why people make trailers without any original audio or even a gag. The trailer makes it seem like they're going to try and make the Abridged Series epic instead of funny, unless the whole Halo bit is supposed to be the joke, in which case it didn't really work.

So yeah... I hope this guy knows what he's doing even if the trailer indicates otherwise.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I....just like this. Sailor Moon the New Abridged series pilot: http://youtube.com/watch?v=6oc_Y0dFUDk

I enjoy this compare to Megami's constant fat jokes in her pilot. Am I missing something as a guy, or do I just nod my head and move on?

That was pretty darn good. I especially loved the parts with the Negaverse just wants energy for cable, Serena getting a thirty for red marks, Serena and Molly doing typical girl things to feel better and Serena stealing all of the jewels at the end. I enjoyed those kinds of jokes much more than Megami's constant fat jokes. I hope that they make more episodes. Not only does she do that in the pilot, but that's what happens for a lot of episodes afterwards before the series got better. Then they kind of started again. I don't think that you're missing anything. I'm a girl and I hated those fat jokes. Call me crazy, but I don't see how constantly using fat jokes, making fun of eating disorders and calling a girl whose pretty much skinny fat actually can become hilarious. Maybe its just all of my years of being laughed at for being overweight preventing me from laughing at those jokes, despite how I'm now at a healthy weight.

GWOtaku

Staff member
Reporter
I'm still not sure why people make trailers without any original audio or even a gag. The trailer makes it seem like they're going to try and make the Abridged Series epic instead of funny, unless the whole Halo bit is supposed to be the joke, in which case it didn't really work.

So yeah... I hope this guy knows what he's doing even if the trailer indicates otherwise.

Assuming it's not just a throwaway trailer, maybe he figured Halo = views. From an optimistic point of view, if he's serious the 2009 date may mean he's thinking it through and won't just phone in episodes.

Of course, I could just be projecting what I would do onto him. I could probably write a good parody but know zilch about editing.

GWOtaku

Staff member
Reporter
That was pretty darn good. I especially loved the parts with the Negaverse just wants energy for cable, Serena getting a thirty for red marks, Serena and Molly doing typical girl things to feel better and Serena stealing all of the jewels at the end. I enjoyed those kinds of jokes much more than Megami's constant fat jokes. I hope that they make more episodes. Not only does she do that in the pilot, but that's what happens for a lot of episodes afterwards before the series got better. Then they kind of started again. I don't think that you're missing anything. I'm a girl and I hated those fat jokes. Call me crazy, but I don't see how constantly using fat jokes, making fun of eating disorders and calling a girl whose pretty much skinny fat actually can become hilarious. Maybe its just all of my years of being laughed at for being overweight preventing me from laughing at those jokes, despite how I'm now at a healthy weight.

Man, you make that other SMA abridged series sound weak.

My favorite part?

Crap, I sent them all to Earth. Damn wands on eBay, never reliable...

Light Lucario

Staff member
Man, you make that other SMA abridged series sound weak.

My favorite part?

Crap, I sent them all to Earth. Damn wands on eBay, never reliable...

I forgot about the eBay wand. That was a pretty funny moment too.

In my personally opinion, the other SMA abridged series is weak. I was always annoyed that the first four or five episodes were full of fat jokes. As you can tell, I'm not a fan of them. Then I thought that the series improved quite a bit and it was really good when episode ten came along. After about episode twelve or so, it felt that it was getting weaker with Rayne being the only funny thing about the abridged series to me and how they were poking fun at the dub dialogue every episode at least once or twice. As of now, the series continues to thrive on poking fun at the dub dialouge and I rarely feel that it works out. It feels like they're using the same basic jokes that weren't really funny to me before and still aren't. Their newest comment special was better than most of their recent episodes, though. Of course, this is just my interpretation and others may disagree with it because of the differences in tastes and opinions regarding this abridged series.

Chaltab

Burninated Peasant
Assuming its not just a throwaway trailer, maybe he figured Halo = views. From an optimistic point of view, if he's serious the 2009 date may mean he's thinking it through and won't just phone in episodes.

Of course, I could just be projecting what I would do onto him. I could probably write a good parody but know zilch about editing.

I dunno. There was another Teen Titans Abridged (not the one I edit for) announced seven months before it came out and it turned out not so great, while the one announced two months before it came out (also not ours) was much better. It seems to me like long pre-production time means the parties involved are having trouble getting their act together.

Daxdiv

Does this look like the face of mercy?
After finding sometime to watch the Sailor Moon The New Abridged episode... I can safely say that was a pretty good first attempt episode, and was 10x better than SMA first was. I laughed at a bunch more compared to a few when it started out. Other than audio quality, it was good effort.

Mynd Hed

Holy blue on a popo!
This is the last time this will be said. I have let a lot of things slide in this thread because I believe in allowing people to voice their opinions, but insults and disrespect for others-- whether they are members of these boards or not-- will not be tolerated. This is Mynd Hed the Toon Zone Moderator talking, not hbi2k the abridger.

This thread will now be closed while I discuss our options for future discussion of abridged series on these boards with my fellow Anime Forum moderators. In the meantime, we will be observing a temporary cooling-off period in which no new threads discussing abridged series will be allowed. If you wish to post such a thread before I or one of the other Anime mods announce an end to this hiatus, please PM me before doing so. Thank you for your patience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts