The future of Marvel animation and the upcoming crop of characters

Webbed-Wonder

Still thwipping!
I wonder if Feige approved Moon Girl.

I also wonder if Marvel Animation had any upcoming productions that were canceled after Lane was let go. It would explain why he mentioned they would be announcing new content over the Summer only for that to not really happen.

It really doesn't feel like Marvel Animation has much going on right now. Obviously we have stuff coming out next year, and maybe more on the way, but with the status of the Hulu shows in doubt I'm not sure quite what direction Marvel Animation is heading in, nor when we might have a good idea.

Should we start counting the Disney Jr. Amazing Friends cartoon as the next proper Spider-Man cartoon...?
I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. I'm really not sure what becomes of any of those Hulu cartoons/if they actually will happen anymore.

I guess Spidey and His Amazing Friends is the next proper Spider-Man cartoon. Which I mean, cool for kids, but is that really all they're gonna do? All the animated projects don't seem to be using the characters to the best of their ability, unlike something like Spider-Verse last year from Sony which had a lot of important things to add and used the brand in a pertinent way rather than just existing for kids to watch.

I hope Marvel Studios being responsible for the cartoons doesn't continue to devolve into movie inspired shows for the rest of time. What If? doing that is great and a welcome choice, but I don't want everything to be MCU related or MCU-lite like the modern shows mostly have been.

I want to see what those Spider-related shows Sony are developing are like. Sony can make live-action or animated Spidey TV shows 45 minutes in length or longer per episode, so they really could be anything. 45 minute cartoons are something I don't think I've ever really seen before, would it have to be like a mini-series?

Frontier

Staff member
I hope Marvel Studios being responsible for the cartoons doesn't continue to devolve into movie inspired shows for the rest of time. What If? doing that is great and a welcome choice, but I don't want everything to be MCU related or MCU-lite like the modern shows mostly have been.
The cartoons becoming even more movie-oriented is something I've been concerned about since Feige took over.

I mean, I don't know if What If is indicative of anything, but it was the only Marvel cartoon they deigned to promote for Disney+.
I want to see what those Spider-related shows Sony are developing are like. Sony can make live-action or animated Spidey TV shows 45 minutes in length or longer per episode, so they really could be anything. 45 minute cartoons are something I don't think I've ever really seen before, would it have to be like a mini-series?
I'm curious what Sony can get away with and what Marvel might let them use.

The Master C

I'll never forgive Marvel TV for cancelling the Donald Glover Deadpool cartoon, so I'm not really that sad about Marvel TV's demise, but I'm hoping that Moon Girl will live on (and thrive) under Marvel Studios.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Do we REALLY need new Spiderman episodes every year?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A202F met Tapatalk

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
When you think about it, Beware was the last "traditional" solo Superhero cartoon for DC.
From 2003 till 2019, we have only had Batman, Krypto the Superdog, Batman, Green Lantern: The Animated Series and more Batman :(

Webbed-Wonder

Still thwipping!
From 2003 till 2019, we have only had Batman, Krypto the Superdog, Batman, Green Lantern: The Animated Series and more Batman :(
Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, and Justice League Action as well, as far as I can remember. I remember Marvel editor Tom Brevroort saying a few years ago it's important to them to have new Spidey on TV every year now. I don't agree with it either, but it's going nonstop now from Ultimate right into the current show, to the preschool show. I think oversaturation is a concern, especially when it's not mindblowing stuff they're saturating people with always.

Frontier

Staff member
Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, and Justice League Action as well, as far as I can remember. I remember Marvel editor Tom Brevroort saying a few years ago it's important to them to have new Spidey on TV every year now. I don't agree with it either, but it's going nonstop now from Ultimate right into the current show, to the preschool show. I think oversaturation is a concern, especially when it's not mindblowing stuff they're saturating people with always.
It really does seem like that show might be the only Spider-Man cartoon on once Marvel's Spider-Man ends, surprisingly enough :sweat:.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
What I like most about what I've heard about Maximum Venom is that it's essentially six 44 min. specials. I'm totally okay with them easing up on constantly cranking out so much Spider-Man tv. Between 1999 to 2012, we had three series that couldn't make it past 13 to 26 episodes and then all of a sudden, Marvel is dropping 26 episodes each year (give or take). That's roughly 57 hours or Spider-Man, not including guest appearances or shorts, since they got the rights back. It's no wonder that so much of it was mediocre. This reminds me of when I quit reading main line Spider-Man comics after One More Day, when they were releasing about three issues a month. It became too much for me to keep up with while I also wasn't enjoying the stories as much as I used to.

The last thing I want to complain about is too much of something I love, and I love Spider-Man to death, but I really want to see Marvel focus more on quality than quantity with the character. He is their flagship character. He can survive not having a regular series on TV and just being a guest star who boosts other series, or having some specials or miniseries each year to keep his name relevant with kids. That will work especially if what they do produce is great. I wouldn't be surprised if Spider-Man still sells way more than any other superhero brand when it comes to merchandise. How much stronger would the last two series have been if they were able to cut out anything mediocre or filler-ish, and maybe even use some of those saved expenses to make what they did produce visually more appealing?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Webbed-Wonder

Still thwipping!
What I like most about what I've heard about Maximum Venom is that it's essentially six 44 min. specials. I'm totally okay with them easing up on constantly cranking out so much Spider-Man tv. Between 1999 to 2012, we had three series that couldn't make it past 13 to 26 episodes and then all of a sudden, Marvel is dropping 26 episodes each year (give or take). That's roughly 57 hours or Spider-Man, not including guest appearances or shorts, since they got the rights back. It's no wonder that so much of it was mediocre. This reminds me of when I quit reading main line Spider-Man comics after One More Day, when they were releasing about three issues a month. It became too much for me to keep up with while I also wasn't enjoying the stories as much as I used to.

The last thing I want to complain about is too much of something I love, and I love Spider-Man to death, but I really want to see Marvel focus more on quality than quantity with the character. He is their flagship character. He can survive not having a regular series on TV and just being a guest star who boosts other series, or having some specials or miniseries each year to keep his name relevant with kids. That will work especially if what they do produce is great. I wouldn't be surprised if Spider-Man still sells way more than any other superhero brand when it comes to merchandise. How much stronger would the last two series have been if they were able to cut out anything mediocre or filler-ish, and maybe even use some of those saved expenses to make what they did produce visually more appealing?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
This is all spot on.

bigdaddy313

So according to Eric Radomski’s linkendie profile he has moved to Phuuz Entertainment as director, no longer with Marvel. I wonder who the new head director will be

bigdaddy313

February 19th:
I really wonder if there's a current game plan for Marvel Animation and if anyone is running it at this point :confused:.
That is a very good question, I am wondering if the Team of What-IF? are going to be in charge of Marvel Animation Studio. I am wondering also if the studio is closed and people moved to Marvel Studios building to serve new Management.

March 23rd:
So we all know the animation blog now titled "Tomb of the animation monkey Skeleton", who does once or twice a year update on animation shows and companies behind it.

He informed me that the middle management is the same accepted for the ones that left like Scott Lane, and it's only a small team working in the animation studio with "Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends" as the only project.

So that's the state of Marvel Animation at the moment.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
So we all know the animation blog now titled "Tomb of the animation monkey Skeleton", who those once or twice a year update on animation shows and companies behind it.

He informed me that the middle management is the same accepted for the ones that left like Scott Lane, and it's only a small team working in the animation studio with "Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends" as the only project.

So not much to speak of at the moment...

TargetmasterJoe

So we all know the animation blog now titled "Tomb of the animation monkey Skeleton", who does once or twice a year update on animation shows and companies behind it.

He informed me that the middle management is the same except for the ones that left like Scott Lane, and it's only a small team working in the animation studio with "Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends" as the only project.

Gah, why can't they just do Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes Season 3 or even collaborate with Sony's TV division to do Spectacular Spider-Man season 3? They could be Disney+ exclusives and they'd still have my full support!

Also, if Kevin Feige is taking over the TV division, what does Ike Perlmutter have left? The video game department?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts