The future of Marvel animation and the upcoming crop of characters

RoryWilliams

So we're in a weird place right now where we don't know what, if anything is coming in terms of new shows, beyond the Moon Girl cartoon being done by Disney Animation. Additionally, the MCU is on the cusp of introducing a slew of new characters in the coming years, including Ms. Marvel, Shang-Chi, the Eternals, Black Knight, She-Hulk and Moon Knight, not to mention rebooted versions of the Fantastic Four and (eventually) X-Men.

Now, Marvel likes to have their upcoming live-action characters show up in other media beforehand to raise their profile; we've seen it in the past with introducing the Guardians of the Galaxy in Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes and Ultimate Spider-Man, and Falcon in Avengers Assemble, as well as Ant-Man, the Wasp, Black Panther and Captain Marvel in subsequent seasons. There was also Ms. Marvel herself, though this was before it was confirmed she'd be joining the MCU. We also had Adam Warlock and Mantis show up in the Guardians of the Galaxy TV series.

Now, with all these new characters set to hit the films, the lack of any new shows is somewhat curious. Do you think we will get another Avengers series that could incorporate some of these characters? Another team-up series?

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Well, there are also the Hulu shows (MODOK, Howard the Duck, Hit-Monkey, Tigra & Dazzler, and their team-up special "The Offenders"). I don't think they're really there to tie-in with any live-action stuff, but the same kind of applies to Moon Girl, I believe.

Then there's Spidey & his Amazing Friends which should keep Spidey popular with the pre-school audience.

I presume (and hope) they will focus more on the Marvel Rising franchise with specials and movies, since a few of the characters making their debuts in the MCU could easily fit in there.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
There is a lot of uncertainty with the future of Marvel Animation now with all the "main" shows ending and not much news on future shows, on-top of Kevin Feige taking creative control over Marvel Entertainment.

Will that mean less movie synergy? More movie synergy? It's really hard to gauge at this point. And that's not even getting into whether we might get some cartoons designed around being set in the MCU.

It's hard to imagine that Marvel won't continue putting out major cartoons for their tentpoles like Spider-Man or The Avengers, at the same time Moon Girl and Marvel Rising seem to be leaning in the direction of more original and newer IP's.

We've had rumors and murmurings of an X-Men cartoon but nothing concrete as of yet.

Be kind of hilarious if that pre-school Spider-Man show is the only Spider-Man cartoon on the air for a while :rolleyes2:.
I presume (and hope) they will focus more on the Marvel Rising franchise with specials and movies, since a few of the characters making their debuts in the MCU could easily fit in there.
Presuming Marvel Rising continues for the next few years, I could see them incorporating Cassie Lang/Stature and Kate Bishop as Hawkeye :).

Although considering the format I think they should be careful how many new characters they start introducing given it already has a pretty large cast by this point...and that's without any access to the X-Teens :p.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
With limited series and shorter episode runs becoming more of a thing on streaming services, it feels like the kind of Marvel series I always wanted to see is more possible . A proper Secret Wars or X-Men vs Avengers adaptation that told a complete story in about 8 episodes, had a higher animation budget to work with, and pulled in veteran voice talent from shows like Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Wolverine And The X-Men, The Spectacular Spider-Man, etc would be amazing... to me. What are even the chances that they could revisit an old fan favorite series, like X-Men TAS for example, with a limited run? We already see that Disney+ isn't afraid to go for a nostalgia project. I feel hopeful that we could even get Marvel animation that can appeal to fans of all ages without going overboard aiming at one demographic.

I can be a really naive and optimistic fanboy but I can picture Disney+ being really positive for Marvel animation. My fingers are tightly crossed and I'm hoping for a lot of cool announcements within the next year.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
I really hope Marvel makes animated mini series, I said it before but Immortal Hulk with the same studio that made Primal would be amazing.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I haven't managed to watch Primal yet. That wasn't Williams Street or Studio T something? Do you mean the studio that did the overseas animation?

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
I haven't managed to watch Primal yet. That wasn't Williams Street or Studio T something? Do you mean the studio that did the overseas animation?

Yeah the studio that did the overseas animation which fun fact also did the animation for the Love Death and Robots short Sucker of Souls.

Frontier

Staff member
To be honest, I'm just in general ready for new voices and faces involved in the animated production of Marvel cartoons.

I think the past few years has had, for better or worse, a singular vision of sorts for what Marvel cartoons can and should be like, and that singular vision involved shows with generally the same tone, style, and the same VA's for certain characters. And I am ready for something really new.

On-top of that, I think I am just ready to finally hear some new voices for certain characters, even if I expect Fred Tatasciore as Hulk and James C. Mathis III as Black Panther to carry over like they did from the previous Marvel Animation regime.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I wonder how much more stunt casting we might see on future projects. Would any MCU actors nab recurring VA jobs? Could we see a VA transition into a live-action role, similar to what the CW did with Vixen?

Frontier

Staff member
I wonder how much more stunt casting we might see on future projects. Would any MCU actors nab recurring VA jobs? Could we see a VA transition into a live-action role, similar to what the CW did with Vixen?

I think that's a pertinent question with Kevin Feige now in charge. How much will the MCU impact animation and vice-versa?

Will we not see new VA's for certain characters because they won't want someone else playing a role held by an MCU actor?

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
If anything, I'd like to see Marvel do an ongoing series of animated DTV films that would adapt the source material with the intention of aiming towards an older audience and rated PG-13. Similar to what DC has done, but not like their previous attempts.

Webbed-Wonder

Still thwipping!
If anything, I'd like to see Marvel do an ongoing series of animated DTV films that would adapt the source material with the intention of aiming towards an older audience and rated PG-13. Similar to what DC has done, but not like their previous attempts.
I would like to see this as well. Marvel Animation going forward needs more variety. It's great they're gonna be making shows like Moon-Girl, and Spidey and His Amazing Friends, but it would be nice if there was some action fare that might appeal to the older fans again. The Lionsgate films, and the Marvel anime productions were a little more in that direction. I guess we're getting those Hulu cartoons that are gonna be aimed at older audiences, but those are all gonna be comedic in tone.

I guess that could also apply for the new DC Harley Quinn cartoon as it's a comedy show aimed at adult audiences as well. I'm pretty nostalgic for the MTV Spidey show in the regards that it was a Spidey show that could do the romance and action stuff and not sugarcoat any of it/be a little bit more real with the way it played out. I think it's tonally closest to the Ultimate Spider-Man comics than the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon lol.

Frontier

Staff member
So Marvel Television is fully been restructured with new Management and old executives to be replaced including Cort Lane by January of 2020
So...now Marvel Studios is basically running the show :sweat:?

Cort Lane leaving is big news since he's basically been spearheading the cartoons both creatively and in marketing ever since Wacker left. Marvel Rising has always felt like his baby in some regards, so I'm curious how his leaving might effect it :confused:.

bigdaddy313

So...now Marvel Studios is basically running the show :sweat:?

Cort Lane leaving is big news since he's basically been spearheading the cartoons both creatively and in marketing ever since Wacker left. Marvel Rising has always felt like his baby in some regards, so I'm curious how his leaving might effect it :confused:.
It's definitely not going to continue beyond the next episode I think. I can't wait to c what come so next.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I'm guessing Disney Animation co-producing will be to Moon Girl's benefit. I wonder if there's probably anything else like that we might not know about. If nothing else, we have Moon Girl and the last season of Marvel's Spider-Man next year, and What If? the next. Kind of slim pickings but hopefully, the quality will win out.

Will Sony still have a chance of doing their Spider-Man TV stuff under Marvel Studios?

Frontier

Staff member
I'm guessing Disney Animation co-producing will be to Moon Girl's benefit. I wonder if there's probably anything else like that we might not know about. If nothing else, we have Moon Girl and the last season of Marvel's Spider-Man next year, and What If? the next. Kind of slim pickings but hopefully, the quality will win out.
I wonder if Feige approved Moon Girl.

I also wonder if Marvel Animation had any upcoming productions that were canceled after Lane was let go. It would explain why he mentioned they would be announcing new content over the Summer only for that to not really happen.

It really doesn't feel like Marvel Animation has much going on right now. Obviously we have stuff coming out next year, and maybe more on the way, but with the status of the Hulu shows in doubt I'm not sure quite what direction Marvel Animation is heading in, nor when we might have a good idea.
Will Sony still have a chance of doing their Spider-Man TV stuff under Marvel Studios?
Should we start counting the Disney Jr. Amazing Friends cartoon as the next proper Spider-Man cartoon...?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts