The "For Portlanders Only" Update Thread

TheMisterFree

Sorry, man. Also, that Fox 5 in Las Vegas where you got those Club Mario eps? It's KPTV's sister, and is actually where their master control is; Meredith hubbed their West Coast stations there a while back (alongside KPHO and new acquisition KTVK in Phoenix); they did a similar thing with their East Coast stations out of their CBS station in Atlanta.

Chris

I am a DuMont production.
Psst. Hey, want to watch a Portland weather guy use the term "*****" on air?

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
The site I use for TV listings updated its grid today to show two new subchannels: one for channel 49 and a second one for channel 12. However, neither have actually shown up on the proverbial dial yet.

The grid doesn't list their names. One looks immensely boring with a schedule of nothing but Unsolved Mysteries reruns. The other shows a lot of Ellen and Spin City.

TheMisterFree

More acquisition news- Meredith is merging with Media General, who acquired LIN Media (and KOIN) a few months back; meaning either KOIN or the 12/49 duopoly is being spun off (they've got a few other markets where they have to spinoff)- popular consensus is that Tribune acquires KOIN and pairs it with KRCW. Here's the TVNewsTalk thread: http://forums.tvnewstalk.net/index.php?threads/media-general-merging-with-meredith Also on the acquisition front, TEGNA has offically split off from Gannett and reacquired KGW (as well as WHAS in Louisville, KY), which they had to spinoff to a former Belo exec due to cross-ownership rules regarding newspapers.

KE7JFF

I've heard a few rumours that a few networks are looking at Portland and Seattle for new O&O stations; I could see FOX picking up KPTV...

TheMisterFree

What's O&O mean?
Owned-and-operated station. This is likely part of Fox's attempt to get owned stations in all NFC football markets. Rumors have been swirling lately that they'll trade their Houston station for something else- they traded their Boston station last year to Cox Media (yes, the cable operator) for their station in San Francisco which they had attempted to get for years.

TheMisterFree

And it looks like the merger between Media General and Meredith might not happen- another company with an obscene amount of stations, Nexstar, has been trying to muscle in on MG, and the Meredith deal is nearly dead. Over at TVNT we're still awaiting resolution of that.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Yesterday subchannel 2.3 stopped airing GET TV (which was nothing but old movies) and is now airing something called COMET (that's nothing but B-movies). The feed is coming in wrong and is all squashed.

KOIN now has a subchannel, sort of....it's the same channel only in standard definition. Usually when this happens it's a placeholder for something else, so KOIN might be getting something substantial there soon.

TheMisterFree

Yesterday subchannel 2.3 stopped airing GET TV (which was nothing but old movies) and is now airing something called COMET (that's nothing but B-movies). The feed is coming in wrong and is all squashed.

KOIN now has a subchannel, sort of....it's the same channel only in standard definition. Usually when this happens it's a placeholder for something else, so KOIN might be getting something substantial there soon.
Get TV was operated by Sony- Comet is operated by Sinclair (yuk), it's supposed to be a sci-fi net, without, y'know, decaying; MGM's a co-owner so they're contributing movies and all the Stargate shows. It'll be carrying Sincliar's Ring of Honor wrestling, though, so....

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
KOIN picked up Get TV and is running it on 6.2. And as of today, they have a 6.3 -- something called "Decades." No idea what shows it has yet -- the on-TV schedule just says "Decades Programming."

Chris

For Salemers only:
KVDO, what was once Salem's PBS Station in the early '80s, returns, as a Valley 17 affiliate in Albany.
(I guess the guy who owns Channel 17 here wants to branch out a little.)

Chris

Mike Barrett and Mike Rice have been fired. Sad. I loved them. They were the voice of the Blazers for years and years, doing play by play for many Blazer games.

Chris,

Was that you who uploaded that September 4, 1988 video of you driving around north from Salem to Keizer?

At the start of the video, I saw the North Salem Fred Meyer (at 2855 Broadway St NE), still looking the way it did when it first opened in November 1968 (when The Beatles' "Hey Jude" was in its eighth week at #1).

If you still have that video now, could you please at least send me a capture of the Fred Meyer in that video?

~Ben

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

I knew about the promotional cans but I'm just seeing this ad for the first time. I love seeing Daredevil pushed by Marvel.
Notable moment from The Rock.
The time when Gunther spoke Dutch in Friends.

Featured Posts