"The Flash" Season Seven Talkback (Spoilers)

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
theflashtb.png

March 2, 2021
Barry Allen (Grant Gustin) lived a normal life as a perpetually tardy C.S.I. in the Central City Police Department. Barry’s life changed forever when the S.T.A.R. Labs Particle Accelerator exploded, creating a dark-matter lightning storm that struck Barry, bestowing him with superspeed and making him the fastest man alive — The Flash. After a thrilling cliffhanger last season which saw the new Mirror Master (Efrat Dor) victorious and still-at-large in Central City, The Flash must regroup in order to stop her and find a way to make contact with his missing wife, Iris West-Allen (Candice Patton).

With help from the rest of Team Flash, which includes superheroes Caitlin Snow (Danielle Panabaker), Cisco Ramon (Carlos Valdes), Ralph Dibny (Hartley Sawyer), and Nash Wells (Tom Cavanagh), as well as the Flash’s adoptive father Joe West (Jesse L. Martin), Meta-Attorney Cecile Horton (Danielle Nicolet), tough cub reporter Allegra Garcia (Kayla Compton) and brilliant tech-nerd Chester P. Runk (Brandon McKnight)…Flash will ultimately defeat Mirror Master. But in doing so, he’ll also unleash an even more powerful and devastating threat on Central City: one that threatens to tear his team—and his marriage—apart.

"All's Well That Ends Wells" - Episode 1
When an experiment to save Barry’s (Grant Gustin) speed backfires, Nash Wells (Tom Cavanagh) searches for a way to save The Flash and comes up with a dangerous plan. Meanwhile, Iris (Candice Patton) makes a startling realization inside the Mirrorverse and Cecile (Danielle Nicolet) faces off with Rosa Dillon (guest star Ashley Rickards).

hobbyfan

So they changed the Top's powers. Not good.

Tom Cavanagh must be in his walk year, otherwise why have Grant Gustin (Barry/Flash) do some of his Wells schtick?

And Eva finally comes to the realization she really isn't alive. Or is she?

As Hellboy said in the first movie, skip to the ending (for this arc). I'm bored.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
The Flash "All's Well That Ends Wells"

So is Tom Cavanaugh now off the show? I have two conflicting thoughts about that.

The first thought is immediately negative. Look at how great all that Council Of Wells stuff was! The show will be markedly worse if he's not a part of it.

The second thought is more practical. Just based on the way he died and left, I think this was Cavanaugh's decision, and it had been in the works for awhile. And I can be upset over losing the character (which is actually what you want in a death scene) but what I CANNOT dismiss is that rarely when a character either leaves a show or is killed off, are they given such a satisfying and meaningful send-off. The last one I remember putting in this much effort was Steve Carell's last episode of The Office. That's how long its been. Most TV shows act like cast comings and goings are routine and no big deal. I think they have to act like that for fear of upsetting the audience. But I want to be allowed to be upset. I want to be able to think Nash's death was both rawest of deals and the only way it coulda gone down at the exact same time. If Cavanaugh IS off the show, they gave him a perfect last episode.

If he isn't and another unheard of Wells pops up next week, I'll be a bit relieved, but also super annoyed that this perfect last episode was wasted on a fake-out. But the episode was so perfect for Nash that I am very skeptical it's a fake-out.

Do you know what I don't like? Both Cisco and Caitlin are absent in not only the season premiere, but Wells' last episode. But to be perfectly clear, that is almost certainly a scheduling issue due to Covid and not something in the show's control. If they could have gotten both those actors for this episode, they would have. I won't penalize the show for it.

I'll tell you what didn't work: Cecile and Top. She goes to Joe saying "I was the D.A. who put her away so she'll trust me as her defense attorney." The lawyer drama on Berlanti has always been beyond shaky, even laughably so as far as this show, Arrow, and Riverdale are concerned. But because Cecile was the one who put her away, that's the precise reason she WOULDN'T trust her, and would wind up pulling a stunt like the one she did. Why did nobody think to point that out? It's not like Cecile wouldn't have tried anyways and everything would have played out the exact same way. Except I think both Cecile and the writers are very stupid and bad at their jobs if they believe Cecile putting Top in prison is the thing that will endear her to her. And it's a stupid thing to have to complain about. No other current franchises besides Berlanti shows (and David E Kelly) pull this kind of nonsense. It's really aggravating to have to badmouth the show in the very episode Tom Cavanaugh brings the freaking goods.

And you know what? I would be very inclined to knock off a star or two from the final grade for this stupidity, but I'm like "Stupid writing does not get to rob me of being amazed by how Cavanaugh went out. I'll vent in this review, but all it is is venting." That stupid line and scene does not have the power to wreck my buzz from the great thing I just saw. I will not LET it have it that power. *****.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
So is Tom Cavanugh now off the show? I have two conflicting thoughts about that.
The answer if you want to know now:
No, he is not. Eric Wallace hinted this week that Cavanaugh is not leaving yet. Take from that what you will. Maybe the Wells will be able to interact with Barry in the Speed Force. Maybe Cavanaugh's Reverse-Flash will appear somehow. Or if a Luthor survived the Crisis on Superman & Lois, perhaps a Wells could have, too.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Couple of extra thoughts about the episode, that could also go for the entire plotpoint of the Wellses all being in Nash's head.

HR is actually dead. His energy should not be in Nash's head at all.

Harry telling Nash that Sherloque kept secrets and was broken is really unfair to Sherloque. The secrets Sherloque kept were in the team's best interest because he suspected something was off with Nora and knew Iris wouldn't hear a thing against her. Sherloque was the only Wells who didn't really grow and change as a character because he was pretty put together the entire time, and was the only Wells who was. I don't like retconning that idea by saying he was as lost as Harry, Nash, and HR were before he met the team.

hobbyfan

Caitlin was in absentia since Danielle Panabaker was on maternity leave. Cisco returns in the next episode.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
theflashtb.png

March 9, 2021
"The Speed of Thought" - Episode 2

When Barry suddenly gains the power of speed thinking, he attempts to use his new gift to save Iris. While Barry is thrilled with his new power, Cisco is hesitant to trust it. Meanwhile, Eva must face a shattering truth.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
The Flash "The Speed Of Thought"

That was a very interesting episode. I liked it very much.

When the speed thought power was announced a lot of people thought it would have been good to have against the Thinker. But the problem with the Thinker was that the writers weren't smart or talented enough to write a smart character for Flash to defeat. It was bad writing that defeated the Thinker, and that would have happened with or without the speed thought power.

All in on the resurrection of Earth-1 Wells. Yeah, part of me is disappointed that we wasted last week's awesome goodbye episode on a fake-out, but this should be very interesting.

Barry's idea of a distraction was beyond cold-blooded. I dispute it was efficient as well.

I found it interesting that Cisco claims he never would have taken part in a vote to save either Iris or Camilla and Singh. It's interesting because it's probably true. But as far as I'm concerned, it's not definitely true. Yes, Barry misjudged how Iris would react to the idea of being saved solo. But when Barry ran the simulation in his head about the vote, I saw nothing out of character from either Cisco, Frost, or Allegra. What I'm saying is that I'd like to believe Cisco is right, and that he would have insisted on finding a way to save them all. But the scenario Barry had in his head seemed entirely credible to me, which is cool.

Speaking of which, I loved the effects of Frost with speed powers. One of my biggest regrets of the show is that in season one it was the Arrowverse show that was a visual feast and overloaded the viewer on amazing special effects. In later seasons they stepped back from that (I assume the budget was reduced) and basically picked their battles, usually saving up for the one or two Grodd or King Shark episodes per year. It was cool seeing a CGI spectacle in the episode. I miss that aspect of the show.

Pretty great episode in my mind. ****.

hobbyfan

Sorry, just not digging Barry with speed thinking. I'm reminded of a Silver Age issue of Flash where Carmine Infantino drew Flash with a larger head. When the camera zooms on Barry's left eye, I had flashbacks to That's So Raven whenever Raven had psychic visions.

The end of the Mirrorverse arc will be predictable.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
theflashtb.png

March 16, 2021
"Mother" - Episode 3

As Eva becomes more powerful, Barry and team must find a way to stop her. They are shocked when an old friend - Sue Dearbon risks her life to help.

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
Well that was one way to recast Ralph Dibney.

PF9

What a season finale! Sure it's 10 months late, but season 6's conclusion was really satisfying.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
The Flash "Mother"

A lot of corn and sap cannot wreck the fact that I LIKE feel-good stuff. Yeah, this was handled pretty heavy-handedly, and with zero subtlety and nuance. But the show has been overloading on misery for the past few seasons, so I'll take it instead.

Interesting way to briefly bring Ralph back, but it isn't sustainable.

Is Ed Cavanaugh REALLY off the show now? Because his goodbye episode two episodes ago was WAY better. A little annoyed they retconned that Good Hurt for the sake of only two episodes.

I was disappointed about one thing while I was happy about it. And ultimately the disappointment turned out to either be fruitless or groundless (pick one). But I love that Cisco tells Barry there is no apology needed for his behavior because it wasn't him. Frankly, that's more than Barry deserved, but I find it refreshing that the show is leaning into the forgiveness angle instead of setting the team against each other. But when Barry automatically dismisses trying the artificial Speed Force again, I was like, "The problem wasn't that you were unemotional. It's that you refused to listen to the team, and you appear to be doing it again." In the end though, for some weird reason Barry is right that time, so I can be annoyed at the same time the show is letting Barry be Barry. But it's unusual Barry making a unilateral decision against what the entire team thinks is actually the right move. I feared we were headed towards more forced drama than we were.

I like whenever heroes reason with the bad guys to get them to stand down (it's why I was one of the rare people to give Wonder Woman 1984 a rave review) but I think this one troubled me a LITTLE. They largely fixed a great part of my problem by Iris holding back Barry from attacking Eva, but I feel like this trope works best for me, when the hero can clobber the bad guy, but the bad guy does the right thing not only because it's the right thing, but because it's easier and in their best interest. If Iris hadn't put her hand on Barry's shoulder, I would worry that the only real reason Eva repents is that the writers wrote themselves into a corner, and couldn't figure out a plausible way to have Barry win against someone with Godlike powers. And part of me still thinks that's the reason that Iris talked Eva down.

But even if it was, at least the episode had a really kick-butt action scene with amazing visual effects. Has the budget been raised this year back to what it was in the first season? Because I hope so. I'll really enjoy looking at the rest of the season with eyes as big as saucer plates if it was.

I have some gripes, and the writing is not perfect. Ultimately, it was a nice episode though, and even imperfect, nice episodes have value to me. ****.

hobbyfan

In another era, this episode would've been sponsored by Hallmark Cards, Polaroid, and Kraft, because it was so cheesy. That's all I can say.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
theflashtb.png

March 23, 2021
"Central City Strong" - Episode 4

The Flash must deal with Abra Kadabra's sudden return to Central City. The villain is back with a vengeance and a score to settle. Meanwhile, Allegra deals with a tricky situation and Caitlin suspects something is off with Frost. Iris is forced to look at a dark moment in her past.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
The Flash "Central City Strong"

I very much like that Flash used reason and heart to talk down Phillipe. But Phillipe DIDN'T die a hero. He murdered several people in the episode. I feel bad for the guy, and I'm glad he stood down. But I might have been willing to consider him a case for possible redemption in a future episode if the show hadn't randomly killed him off with an unexplained Hulkmonster here, and he had returned later on in a different capacity.

Iris's stuff was all right, but I didn't find Candice Patton's performance great enough to move me in the way it needed to. Mostly because the idea behind the cause of the trauma is so ludicrous. But I have to think a better actress could have broken my heart.

Caitlin and Frost being separated looks like it could be fun.

Looks like Ed Cavanaugh is off the show for real this time. Not only is he not credited, but he's been removed from the main title.

All right, but I might have enjoyed the episode better if not for the random Hulkmonster which comes out of nowhere, and I guess we are just supposed to accept as the new Big Bad of the season. I think it's just a poorly thought out complication that wasn't properly set up. ***.

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
They spent more time mourning the villain then the person he actually killed.

hobbyfan

The Flash "Central City Strong"

I very much like that Flash used reason and heart to talk down Phillipe. But Phillipe DIDN'T die a hero. He murdered several people in the episode. I feel bad for the guy, and I'm glad he stood down. But I might have been willing to consider him a case for possible redemption in a future episode if the show hadn't randomly killed him off with an unexplained Hulkmonster here, and he had returned later on in a different capacity.

Iris's stuff was all right, but I didn't find Candice Patton's performance great enough to move me in the way it needed to. Mostly because the idea behind the cause of the trauma is so ludicrous. But I have to think a better actress could have broken my heart.

Caitlin and Frost being separated looks like it could be fun.

Looks like Ed Cavanaugh is off the show for real this time. Not only is he not credited, but he's been removed from the main title.

All right, but I might have enjoyed the episode better if not for the random Hulkmonster which comes out of nowhere, and I guess we are just supposed to accept as the new Big Bad of the season. I think it's just a poorly thought out complication that wasn't properly set up. ***.

The actor's name is Tom Cavanaugh. His first series of note was Ed, and that's probably where you get confused, Fone Bone.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Marieve Herington is now a US citizen. Congratulations.

It's the 12th anniversary of the arrow's debut on Central European CN feeds, replacing the city.
how come nobody talked about the animation test for the goon movie by blur studios
Man... I can't wait for Elliott from Earth Season 2.
I'm still trying to add pages from Yahoo Answers to the Wayback Machine; if you know of any interesting pages add them & send me a link.

Featured Posts