"The Flash" Feature Film Pre-Release Discussion (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

the greenman

Jul 24, 2006
the point of no return
Allegedly, yes.

Well, they did recast Batman, Gordon, and Alfred already. I'd say the writing is on the wall for Flash.
This is the same playbook as Affleck-gate. WB cannot outright say they're replacing someone under contract, nor can the actor say they're not planning on coming back. With the exception of someone like Jared Leto, the Studio won't come out and get themselves in trouble.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Yojimbo

AdrenalineRush1996

May 13, 2016
As I've said over and over again, Wonder Woman 1984 looks like it will be the start of a DCEU reboot which means they can easily chuck things that didn't work and keep what did.
I don't agree on that WW84 will be the start of a Worlds of DC hard reboot since it's not uncommon to have films set in the same continuity even after some characters get the Other Darrin treatment.

People really need to stop using that as an excuse to explain the recasts. No one involved in either DC or WB have explicitly said that WW84 will reboot the franchise, so if anything, that's more likely going to be wishful thinking.

I also like to point out that The Suicide Squad is going to be a soft reboot than a hard reboot, as four actors of the first film will return for this.

An ongoing continuity with notable retcons as in either recasts or so on doesn't outright equal a reboot plus I will handwave on that Jeffrey Wright's Commissioner Gordon is actually related to Simmons' Gordon who appeared in Justice League.

Reactions: Fone Bone

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
May 18, 2006
East Northport
I thought the Reeves Batman films were supposed to be in a separate continuity.
Uh unless the Joker movie continuity becomes the new main continuity then yeah considering that the DCEU is softly rebooting after/during Wonder Woman 1984 (mostly just to get rid of all of Snyder's influences) stuff like the Reeves Batman and The Suicide Squad are just a part of that new continuity. Especially since with most of the worlds/film series separated by hero they can pretty much do whatever they want with one character focus and not have to worry about what the other characters are doing. Thus if we have now a much younger Batman that won't really matter in the next upcoming Wonder Woman or Aquaman and the like films.

i'd say the upcoming Flash movie but... yeah I'm with everyone else on this one. Hell I think that now with the Channing Tatum Gambit movie officially cancelled this for awhile is going to be the "movie that keeps talking about being made but doesn't go anywhere' film of the next few years. Like seriously Ezra miller is not a strong enough main role start to get anyone really invested in this kind of project nor was he even really that specifically liked from JL to want people to see more of his take. And even if he was, the time to have capitalized on it has long since passed. Again I kind of a have a feeling he was promised this movie by Warner Brothers if he keeps being in the Fantastic beast films and he wanted it set up with a time to have some insurance that it would come out but... yeah there's no general enough interest in it that I can see that would warrant it being made. Black Adam's late 2021 will likely hold or will at least happen because you got super mega A+ list star Dwayne Johnson attached to the project and stuff like Aquaman and Shazam and Wonder Woman come from franchises that have already established and proven themselves. The Flash hasn't and especially since there's already a popular take on the character now on TV is there even a need for a Flash movie at least anytime soon? again WB prove me wrong but until actual PRODUCTION AND FILMING begins on this film I'm not going to say it has any chance of being done. DC has not earned the MCU "we set a date so it's happening" promise that let's face it any other studio that makes comic book films hasn't earned either but with FOX Marvel gone they're the worst in town now at disappointing the fans.

the greenman

Jul 24, 2006
the point of no return
The Flash will join the rumor ranks of the Highlander & the Crow reboots. Until finally we just stop talking about it.

We have to see what Warner Brothers wants to do. However, at this point I don't think they're invested in it anymore. I have a feeling only Suicide Squad is keeping this alive. We'll see. Cause even that can't keep this from being recast.

Neo Ultra Mike

May 18, 2006
East Northport
Well I'm sure like the CW series there will still be the plot point of Barry Allen having to deal with an alternate history after he want back and saved his mother and the villain likely being the Reverse Flash he has to fight at the end but this won't be like a crossover event. Heck I doubt this will even "reboot" the DCEU any since like I said over and over again clear that's going to be Wonder Woman 1984's job that will wipe away what didn't work and keep what did. And in this DCEU era of just keeping focus on one franchise and one general character and not really crossing over with any planned other universe this won't sprawl out to include the bigger DC cast. Like yeah no way will a feature player in this movie be thomas Wayne nor should you expect a subplot being this major battle between Aquaman and Wonder Woman's forces. Like yeah that would make for some epic storytelling but DC has been burned too many on trying to make these big connecting epics that they really aren't best suited for on the movie screen and will again focus on just one world and it's characters not others.

.... IF again any of this happens. This movie still hasn't earned the right to say it's fully coming out at the time it has after all else that happens. The film can totally prove me wrong but I still see this as not coming out. Especially since even with probably just a focused on Flash and his world plot, Flashpoint is a STUPID idea to do for the first movie. You need to establish a world before you deconstruct it any and sorry we haven't established any sort of world for the Flash in the DCEU or heck based on a lot of behind the scenes info on this movie, even a general tone for the character. Like Ezra Miller's take in JL was pretty light hearted and comedic relief but will he do that in his own film or go the darker direction like he originally wanted to do? And if you don't have a character with a consistent tone how can you have a basic storyline especially one you have to uproot for something else? You need a stable Flash before you can get into the time and space travel absudrity you usually find in the Flash's book and sorry DC just doesn't have that yet on screen and trying to do so first here would be stupid... if it happens which I still really doubt.

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
To be honest, just limiting it to Flash characters might not have as much impact when we're just getting introduced to these characters and then immediately we get thrown into Flashpoint.

At least the TV show didn't tackle it until it's third season.

And, admittedly, Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Batman would have been pretty awesome :p.

the greenman

Jul 24, 2006
the point of no return
Well, DC is probably planning on this to reboot the DCEU. What better way honestly. If they want to recast or alter things like meeting a different Batman or Supes. Something as simple as "wow Wonder Woman is hot on every Earth". As much as I don't agree with the idea of Flash's first film being a flashpoint iteration, I can really see them playing it up ala Deadpool-style.

Last edited:

Neo Ultra Mike

May 18, 2006
East Northport
Nah, the TV show milked time travel in general since season 1 and continue to
Yeah but they waited until season 3 to do a Flashpoint esque story of showing an alternate differing dimension and what if of characters in diferent places of their lives thanks to Barry's actions. Again the series knew to give some time before hand to establish the characters BEFORE a flashpoint and yeah the films clearly don't it seems... if they ever do it as again how likely is this movie even to get made at this point?

Well, DC is probably planning on this to reboot the DCEU. What better way honestly. If they want to recast or alter things like meeting a different Batman or Supes.
Uh again pretty sure Wonder Woman 1984 is doing a more full reboot of the entire DCEU. I mean seriously why else would the next two movies after that be a new rebooted Batman and Suicide Squad? Like they are trying to note call those movies reboot but that's ONLY because they don't want to admit that previous films in the franchise weren't total failures that needed a reboot but... yeah they are and were and they are being gotten rid of for what works. The Flash isn't going to really do that as it will have already been done by that point.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

For some reason I keep being reminded of this post I made on a Black Clover talkback thread: C&C - Black Clover - "The One With No Magic" [9/8]

It seems like the inspiration for Maya comes from his wife, mother, and sister.
The good news is I'm not scared anymore. The bad news is, as I have absorbed things, I am now freaking infuriated.
For nick@nite, and I thought full house was the only one skipped.., now George lopez is doing the same thing.. early Mon Jun 1 3:30am was No Free Launch, then skipped episodes to A Kiss is Just Kiss episode aired early Jun 2 at 4am. Very weird for nick@nite, obvi a sign that show won't last long