"The Flash (2014)" Season Two Talkback (Spoilers)

The Penguin

Mod of Fowl Play
Staff member
"...It cannot be stopped." "I have to try." Second season premiere of The Flash tonight at 8 p.m. ET on The CW.

'Like' The Flash on Facebook
'Follow' The Flash on Twitter

theflashtb.jpg
"The Man Who Saved Central City" - Season Premiere
Tuesday, October 6, 2015 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
Picking up months after the Singularity attacked Central City, Barry is still struggling to forgive himself for Eddie's death.

Season One talkback

CWTV.com - The Flash

"He was wrong. Turns out I’m a hero after all." R.I.P. Eddie Thawne

Last edited:

Road to Gotham

And we off to a fast start.
Now we know why Ronnie will not be in the spinoff series. :(
I was sort of hoping Atom Smasher was testing Barry powers for Jay Garrick to judge.
But it seems he was actually working for this season big bad.
Still after about a year of using his speed, one of think Barry would be more adept at using them.
Nice parting gift from Eobard/Harrison Wells.

hobbyfan

Casting coup of the year, getting Adam (Edge) Copeland as Rothstein/Atom Smasher. Some idiots on Yahoo! were thinking he'd spear Barry. Please. Give me a break.

So Ronnie gets married, then is killed off?!? Other than that quibble, a nice opener. Now, how do you top it?

Frontier

Staff member
The long-awaited second season of premier Flash turns in a solid episode, featuring a refreshing return of the cast in some new status quo and a new yet interesting direction :)

You really have to feel bad for Barry in this episode We go from a vision of him in a perfect world, one where he's partners with Firestorm in defending Central City against The Rogues while Eddie and Wells are still alive, to the sad truth of what really happened after the final scene of the season one finale. While the city hasnow completely embraced him as their hero and showers him with praise and idolization, in the end Eddie was the one who stopped Thawne and Firestorm was the one who stopped the singularity at the seeming cost of Ronnie's life. That's gotta do a real number number on his self-confidence, especially when he lost two friends as a result :(.

Ronnie's "death" was tough to watch. He was finally married to Caitlin but he still made the choice to fuse into Firestorm one more time with Professor Stein to save the city, even when it was very likely he wouldn't survive the process. He died without ever having fought one of his Rogues Gallery to boot! At least Stein managed to survive, but losing Ronnie obviously shook him up quite a bit, especially when he woke up to see they weren't fused anymore and Ronnie was gone :eek:.

Atom-Smasher as a villain in this episode was a little weird, especially when Al is a hero in the comics and a JSA member to boot, but I guess the episode used him effectively. They didn't do much character-wise with him, but I'm happy that they were able to make him a credible threat and I thought they managed convey his powers fairly well. Though did they really just kill him off at the end of the episode? Seriously!? What happened to the no-kill-rule :confused:!?

Hey! Singh grew a beard! And now he actually looks more like comic Singh! Awesome :D.

I get what the creators were going for in having Barry realize he still needs Team Flash and his friends, instead of just cutting off his relationship with all of them, but I was hoping we'd actually get to see Barry figure out a way to beat Atom-Smasher on his own. He's a smart guy, after all, and even with Wells/Thawne gone it still seems like he relies a bit too much on STAR Labs to save him from getting the tar beaten out of him. Then again, Barry seems to lose a few IQ points whenever he's in the Flash suit...well, hopefully Jay's teachings can improve Barry's competency as a solo act ;).

While Thawne making a video confessing to the murder of Nora in case of his death was admirable, and spoke to how there was some real respect and affection between him and Barry, of course he'd still take the time to make one last dig at Barry :mad:.

It was very heartwarming to finally see Henry get out of Iron Heights and reuniting with Barry. It's been a long time coming and it was great to have it happen in the season two premier. Though Henry's speech and then deciding to leave was decidedly less heartwarming. I guess I get what the show was trying to go for in basically writing out Henry as a regular, but considering how important for Barry getting his dad out of prison, getting to finally spend some real time with him to catch up is, having Henry then just say he'll be liability for Barry and leave him with his surrogate family was a little cruel in my opinion o_O.

Heh. Cisco and Stein becoming bros over a shared affinity for codenames was funny. As was Cisco completely assuming he's Barry's best friend and all the references to STAR Labs' terrible security in season one. Now I want someone to tell him that Lance named Arrow and Huntress just to see Cisco try to hug him :p.

I was hoping we'd get to see Flash debut the white emblem suit in his final fight with Atom-Smasher, but at least he got out one last use of the red emblem suit I guess? Still nice to finally see the Flash suit with the properly colored chest emblem :cool:.

oranthal

Superman: A hero in life and in death
After a cliffhanger season finale, I was expecting the same energy level from the first scene of the season opener. Instead, we are introduced with Barry already saving the city. I think know why they did it that way: we can see Barry feeling guilty with what happened to Ronnie during the flashback sequence which worked as well. However, by showing Barry saving the city later in the episode, it felt anticlimactic in a way because was already saved.

Surprisingly, there was barely a mention of Iris and her feelings about what happened with Eddie.

Henry deciding not to stay felt random. It might be more impactful if he had stuck around for a few episodes before announcing his intent to leave.

I almost feel that this episode did not need a villain. They could have strictly focused on the aftermath from everything that transpired after the city was saved.

one last thing: Atom Smasher mentions Professor Zoom!!

The Penguin

Mod of Fowl Play
Staff member
"Flash of Two Worlds" October 13, 2015

Barry Allen, meet Jay Garrick! Tonight at 8 p.m. ET on The CW.

theflashtb.jpg
"Flash of Two Worlds"
Tuesday, October 13, 2015 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
Jay Garrick, a mysterious man from Earth-2, appears at S.T.A.R. Labs with a dire warning about an evil speedster named Zoom, who is set on destroying The Flash.

oranthal

Episode 2

Let me get some cheesy jokes out of the way first.

Sand demon - Gaara? Is that you? Is the one tailed beast with you?

Cisco is vibing.

52 breaches? Playing off of the New 52?

All right, now that that is done.

Jay Garrick - Maybe it's the actor or how he was directed, but there is something amiss with him...almost suspicious. Is anyone else getting that feeling?

Caitlin - No mention of the new job at the lab that is not Star Labs.

Barry - At first, I thought he was kind of jealous that there is another speedster but Iris' explanation of why Barry was hesitant in trusting Jay makes sense as well.

Flash - is going a power he showed in this episode ever show up in the comics?

Multiverse. Earth-1. Earth-2. Yes please. Is this going to be the overarching theme for these rest of the season? Along with Zoom? Could this be an "opening" to have a "shared universe" with the DC movie continuity?

Darkseid next week. Well not really but Michael Ironside, who voiced Darkseid in the DCAU, will be playing Captain Cold's father.

Road to Gotham

Cool that they recreated the cover of FLASH #123 but a tad disappointing because Jay isn't powered up.
I kept thinking that Barry would hit Jay with a lightening bolt. "Run. Jay. Run!".

Dragnatek

52 was a theme for DC before the new 52 reboot. There was the really good weekly series 52 a few years before the reboot.

McMax

Does any one know why they got rid of Robbie (and Firestorm)? And what was that thing with Henry? He get out of jail and 10 minutes later he tells Barry that he's leaving town! Come on!

Hanshotfirst1138

Morphinomenal!
I think Robbie was committed to a movie, and apparently he's going to be in the new X-Files revival. Henry, I have no idea, it just seemed like really bad writing unless Shipp had some other commitment too.

hobbyfan

Iris addressing Barry's self-esteem issues was one of the highlights of this show. Ok, so now we're going to get an Earth 2 villain of the week.

Earth 2's Harrison Wells shows up. This is going to be awkward......!

Patty Spivot. Why does that name sound familiar?

So we meet Capt. Cold & Golden Glider's pop next week. Whee.

rggkjg1

KRYPTONITE NEVERMORE!
Multiple Earths??!!!! Possibly FIFTY TWO Earths???

Let's make this happen WB:
Earth 1 - Flash/Arrow/Constantine/Legends Of Tomorrow
Earth 2 - "Golden Age" DCU (Jay Garrick's Earth). I'm also thinking Hawkman and Hawkgirl in Legends Of Tomorrow might be from Jay's Earth.
Earth 3 - Crime Syndicate/Alternate Evil Universe
Earth 4 - Supergirl CBS series
Earth 5 - Gotham FOX series
Earth 6 - Man Of Steel/Dawn Of Justice Cinematic DCU
Earth 7 - Christopher Reeve Superman 1-4
Earth 8 - Superman Returns (Superman 1,2, and Returns)
Earth 9 - Smallville
Earth 10 - Dark Knight Trilogy Batman
Earth 11 - Flash 1990s series ;)
Earth 12 - Our real life world
I think you get the idea.....

The possibilities are infinite. And now easily doable.

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
Earth 13 Failed Green Lantern Universe
Earth 14 Burton/Schmacher Universe
Earth 15 Batman '66
Earth 16 Legends of Superfriends
Earth 17 Wonder Woman '77
Earth 18 Failed Wonder Woman Pilot
Earth 19 Birds of Prey
Earth 20 Swamp Thing
Earth 21 Adventures of Superman
Earth 22 Lois and Clark
Earth 23 Wonder Woman '74
Earth 24 Failed Justice League of America Pilot

oranthal

It doesn't have to only be "live action". We can include animated universes.

Earth 25 - DCAU (BTAS, STAS, Batman Beyond, Static Shock)
Earth 26 - DCAU (Justice Lords timeline)
Earth 27 - The Batman
Earth 28 - Batman Brave and The Bold
Earth 29 - Beware The Batman
Earth 30 - Teen Titans
Earth 31 - Young Justice
Earth 32 - Green Lantern: The Animated Series
Earth 33 - Superfriends

There are animated movies but those are just too confusing to include.

Iris addressing Barry's self-esteem issues was one of the highlights of this show. Ok, so now we're going to get an Earth 2 villain of the week.

Earth 2's Harrison Wells shows up. This is going to be awkward......!

Patty Spivot. Why does that name sound familiar?

So we meet Capt. Cold & Golden Glider's pop next week. Whee.

I completely agree with you with the scene with Iris and Barry.

When Harrison Wells said, "Hi children," my initial thought was, these kids will be his test subjects.

The name Patty Spivot reminds me of Gary Spivey, the psychic.

I think Robbie was committed to a movie, and apparently he's going to be in the new X-Files revival. Henry, I have no idea, it just seemed like really bad writing unless Shipp had some other commitment too.
The moment with Henry came out of nowhere. Like I said before, it seem so random.

Darkseid next week. Well not really but Michael Ironside, who voiced Darkseid in the DCAU, will be playing Captain Cold's father.
He was Lois' dad in Smallville as well.
I think I stopped watching Smallville around season 4 so I missed Ironside's appearance.

One more thing regarding Caitlin: although it has been 6 months since Robbie's death, her flirting with Jay seems slightly out of place because as we as the audience seems like it just one week or two weeks. We never see nor really feel the pain of Caitlin losing Robbie. It could have been handled better.

Last edited:

Spider-Man

We knew Wells was coming back but I was still surprised to see him appear at the end of the episode. He made it to Earth 2 and established himself really quickly it seemed.

Speaking of the multiple earths, and some of the posts above, there was a great fanmade poster that came out a couple weeks ago:

Crisis-on-Infinite-Earths-Poster.jpg

http://popgeeks.net/fan-made-crisis...stion-many-fans-are-asking-dc-comics-why-not/

How cool is that?!

I loved the homage at the end of the episode to the famous Flash #123 cover and I'm amazed at how this show was able to pull off Jay Garrick's costume without it looking too silly. Two great episodes so far this season.

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli
It doesn't have to only be "live action". We can include animated universes.

Earth 25 - DCAU (BTAS, STAS, Batman Beyond, Static Shock)
Earth 26 - DCAU (Justice Lords timeline)
Earth 27 - The Batman
Earth 28 - Batman Brave and The Bold
Earth 29 - Beware The Batman
Earth 30 - Teen Titans
Earth 31 - Young Justice
Earth 32 - Green Lantern: The Animated Series
Earth 33 - Superfriends

Earth 34 - Filmation DCAU (1960's Superman, Batman, Aquaman)
Earth 35 - Ruby/Spears Plasitc Man
Earth 36 - DIC Swamp Thing (shudders)

Tohya

deficit omne quod nasciture
Henry, I have no idea, it just seemed like really bad writing unless Shipp had some other commitment too.
I can't comment if it was bad writing but his exit did make sense...at the very least on par with Barry's reasoning for having trust issues. Barry's dad left because he knew he would want to spend every waking moment with him trying to make up for all the lost time. But Barry was a hero now and Central City needed him more than Barry's dad needed him.
And if that sounds like a load of crap then in terms of logistical reasons it probably made the most sense. This cast is blowing up at a rate that makes we wonder if the showrunners aren't just gonna start giving the characters the weekly walking dead treatment (given the fact that time traveling and multiverses are a thing they very well could). I mean, in this episode alone they introduced three new characters, along with bringing Dr. Wells back into fold. Its a credit to Terry Sanders and Shantel VanSanten that they fit so nicely into the cast. But can you imagine if Shipp was still there? What role would he even play in this world of multiverses especially when his story line is done ( his wife was avenged and he's out of jail).

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

How about Mike Pollock as the ideal voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman?
Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day

Featured Posts