"The Flash (2014)" Season Three Talkback (Spoilers)

The Penguin

Mod of Fowl Play
Staff member
How has Barry's world changed?! Find out on the third season premiere of The Flash, tonight at 8 p.m. ET on The CW.

'Like' The Flash on Facebook
'Follow' The Flash on Twitter

theflashtb.jpg
"Flashpoint" - Season Premiere
Tuesday, October 4, 2016 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
Barry is living his dream life – his parents are alive, he’s asked Iris West on a date and he can finally be a normal guy as Central City has another speedster running around.

Season One talkback
Season Two talkback

CWTV.com - The Flash

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli
Definitely skipping the season premiere, with me starting up on Season 3 once Barry gets back to his regular timeline. After all, I'm not too happy that the show decided to go the "Flashpoint" route in the Season 2 finale.

hobbyfan

Awkward. That's all I can say, and I never read Flashpoint.

Ironically, TNT was doing a marathon of season 2 of Arrow, continuing through this episode, and much of the night. Might've been better off. I dig the idea of Cisco being rich, but it was altogether too awkward.

Frontier

Staff member
I was really surprised we went through Flashpoint so quickly. I was expecting we'd at least get two or three more episodes here to let this timeline flesh itself out before Barry inevitably reverted things, but I wasn't expecting it to be a one-in-done. Then again, we're not really back to the "original" timeline, so it stands to reason there'll be at least a little more aftermath of Barry's time-travelling going forward :ack:.

Seeing Barry with his parents, alive and together, and then just having that ripped away from him :crying:...

I really have to wonder what messed up Flashpoint!Joe's life so much to where he'd become a mess like that. Was it not raising Barry? Did something happen in this timeline regarding the Iris/Wally/Francine thing that distanced him from his kids? Wally still ended up being a street racer, so did he still have to pay for Francine's medical bills o_O?

I wonder what happened to Flashpoint!Singh to where the CCPD had a completely different captain? Or Flashpoint!Wells after Cisco bought out STAR Labs. I guess we'll never know now :shrug:...

Even in a different timeline, Cisco is still worried about Speedsters vibrating their hands into him and using kooky names. Heh, Weather Wizard :p.

Flashpoint!Caitlin was very perky, even after being practically kidnapped, and even as an optomologist she still proves invaluable to Team Flash. Barry's reaction to learning her current profession was hilarious :anime:.

Poor Wally. Nobody really takes him seriously as The Flash and everybody keeps calling him Kid Flash. And I'm expecting it's going to end up like with Thea where the name just sticks whether he likes it or not. It's not like he has Roy's advantage of multiple codenames other then just "The Flash" and that's obviously taken again :rolleyes2:.

Barry Allen and Wally West, together at last as Flash and Kid Flash. I hope that banter between the two before the fight with The Rival is foreshadowing their team dynamic, presuming Wally still becomes Kid Flash now that we're back to the (relatively) regular timeline :D.

Hey, Barry faces off against a new evil Speedster and isn't outmatched! For once he actually is the Fastest Man Alive on the show :cool:.

Why wasn't Wally healing? Did it have something to do with the way he got his powers, even though it sounded like it actually mimicked Barry's to a degree, with the mix of chemicals and lightning :confused:?

So, not only did Barry orchestrate the murder of his mother by letting Thawne go free so he could "restore" the timeline, but now he's apparently saved his Archenemy, the one who absolutely hates him and lives for making Barry's life miserable, from his death in season 1. I guess this explains how Reverse-Flash ends up joining the Legion of Doom on Legends :evil:.

And not only that, he's also apparently ruined Iris and Joe's relationship and did something to Cisco. Jeez Barry, I love you, but what can't you mess up? He's probably also screwed up his relationship with Iris again, because heaven forbid we actually have the main couple together in a committed relationship at this point, in favor of CW drama :rolleyes:.

So is Dr. Alchemy related to Flashpoint and Barry resetting the timeline? Thawne seemed to know something was going to happen once the timeline was reverted. He's contacting The Rival in the original timeline, so is he going to try and revert people to who they were in Flashpoint?

hobbyfan

Dr. Alchemy was one of two alter-egos of a guy named Al Desmond in the books. The other was Mr. Element. Kind of a schizoid thing, it would seem. Seems the execs at CW are actually Marvel fans, since this is the kind of soap opera Marvel specialized in back in the 60's & 70's.

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli
Personally, there's a few issues that I have going into the season premiere, with them being a main reason why I opted to skip it and instead start watching the new season with next week's episode. Among them:

1. Personally, if the series was going to go the Flashpoint route, they either should have done it at the end of Season 1 or near the end of the show's run (especially given how the older Flash noticed Season 1 Flash and gave him a hint about NOT trying to save his mother).

2. While I can understand the reason why Barry did it (given the death of his father), it completely goes against the lesson he learned when he regained his powers near the end of the previous season about moving on with his life after his mother's death.

3. Honestly, it feels like the only reason the show went the Flashpoint route for the premiere was just so they can do some sort of reset that would allow Supergirl to officially be in the Arrowverse and
Captain Cold to return as a recurring villain while his actor is working on Prison Break.

The Penguin

Mod of Fowl Play
Staff member
New Flash, not the same as the old Flash! Tonight at 8 p.m. ET on The CW.

theflashtb.jpg
"Paradox"
Tuesday, October 11, 2016 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
Barry Allen realizes the effects from Flashpoint are much greater than he thought.

Frontier

Staff member
Wow, it's almost darkly comical how much Barry's time traveling screwed things up. I mean, I want to sympathize with him, but when his actions, generally made without thinking them through, are responsible for the pain of his friends and family and often come to the benefit of his enemies (Thawne), it's kinda hard to keep looking at him as the goody-goody idealistic hero he's supposed to be. Though I guess we've got Supergirl for that now :sheep:.

So, in order, Barry's time traveling:

- Ruined Iris and Joe's relationship because apparently Iris ended up finding out about Francine and Wally later then she did in season 2, so she was still mad at him over it. Which I guess then begs the question as to why Wally is still well-adjusted and back to being buddy's with Barry and his family :confused:.

- Ended up getting Dante killed by a drunk driver, when in the original timeline he and Cisco had finally reconciled. As much as I love Barry and Cisco's relationship, I would not have blamed Cisco for keeping a grudge :eek:.

- Added a Metahuman advisor to the CCPD who hates his guts (and likewise) and distrusts him (for good reason). I wonder how long before Barry, being as notoriously bad at keeping his secret identity as he is, will let it slip to Julian who he is :rolleyes2:?

- Changed baby Sara into baby John Jr. who will supposedly one day become Connor Hawke. Firstly, I have to wonder how John would react to knowing his son was once his daughter, secondly it's disappointing that we lost that touching tribute to Sara in John and Lyla naming their baby after her (which I guess isn't as necessary now that Sara's alive, but whatever), and thirdly, I wonder if this means the Legends existing outside time meant they could visit the future after it had been effected by Barry changing it again?

- Gave Caitlin Killer Frost's powers. Now, Caitlin being who she is, I doubt she'll end up becoming Killer Frost (though I admit I do kinda miss Frost as a villain), but it is fairly foreboding :ack:.

I had a good chuckle at Barry being disappointed that he restored Singh to captain of the CCPD :p.

Though at the rate things are going, I wouldn't be surprised if Barry wiped away Singh's marriage and now he's suddenly dating Hartley.

I wonder if Barry restoring the timeline somehow revived Captain Cold :evil:?

It was nice to see Jay Garrick as a genuine mentor for Barry rather then the fake and shallow one Hunter was, and Jay's Flash suit looked a lot better here then it did in the season 2 finale. Can't wait to see the first proper team-up between the two Flashes :cool:.

This show's version Dr. Alchemy feels like movie!Dr. Doom. I wonder if we're going to see him ever do anything resembling alchemy on the show. I'm assuming he and his cultists worship Savitar and are preparing for his arrival.

I get Alchemy winded him but, after surpassing Zoom, it's still a little disappointing to see Barry on the losing end of a fight against another Speedster :(.

So who's going to end up being Barry's official sidekick? Wally, Cisco, or Jesse? There's still the question of whether Wally actually has powers now, since the lightning that hit him and Jesse last season apparently gave Jesse powers, but now we've got Cisco prepping up to become Vibe officially and he and Barry looking forward to working together in the field more :).

It would be a shame to relegate Kid Flash to just a Flashpoint thing, given how much they hyped it up, and I'm not sure what other role Wally could have on the show at this point other then as Barry's partner. I mean...that's kind of Wally's thing, outside of becoming The Flash himself ;).

Man, Barry is really lucky to have Iris. Even after learning what he did, she was the first one to forgive him and rally Team Flash behind him again, and was still willing to get in a relationship after everything that happened. If this were Felicity, she totally would have left Barry hanging even after he revealed what happened :rolleyes:.

And now that it looks like Barry and Iris are finally together, I have to wonder how long before the CW!Drama hammer comes in and starts messing with their relationship? Probably around the time Patty comes back.

hobbyfan

Jessie Quick debuts next week, so that's a plus. Inevitably, Wally will become Kid Flash in this timeline, too. Add Cisco debuting as Vibe, and promising that maybe someday he'll go to that again, and there is promise.

To be honest, I knew referencing Flashpoint was not a good idea, but since it's one of Geoff Johns' ideas....! I'm wondering where the new guy comes from, because the name doesn't sound familiar.

The Penguin

Mod of Fowl Play
Staff member
The Flash is on now!

theflashtb.jpg
"Magenta"
Tuesday, October 18, 2016 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
Barry Allen and Team Flash are thrilled to reunite with Earth-2 Wells and Jesse.

Wonderwall

Staff member
Last week my sister pointed out...so what does Wally do on this show? It's true, now that he doesn't have his parental guided angst from last season he's just kind of there. So here we are setting up him getting his powers I assume? I mean if Jesse has powers then all he needs is Barry to give him a magic lightning touch :D

And in obvious Vancouver sighting for the local resident, the swanky place that Iris and Barry were having their date is called Yaletown. Pretty expensive but nice looking place...really fake people hang around there lol

hobbyfan

Frances Kane (Magenta) was introduced in the books as a on-again, off-again girlfriend of Wally West in New Teen Titans (1st series) back in 1981. She adopted the persona of Magenta a few years later, but wasn't always a villain. She did have some family issues as originally envisioned by writer Marv Wolfman, but her story's been altered in recent times. Not really sold on this version, which is a product of the Geoff Johns era of writing Flash, which has been a big influence on the show.

How long before Julian figures out Barry is the Flash?

Jesse Quick's debut was impressive, and tied into the central theme of families in crisis in this episode. Wally may not have powers in this timeline now, but I've a suspicion Alchemy could get his hands on him.......

reflection01

Last week my sister pointed out...so what does Wally do on this show? It's true, now that he doesn't have his parental guided angst from last season he's just kind of there. So here we are setting up him getting his powers I assume? I mean if Jesse has powers then all he needs is Barry to give him a magic lightning touch :D

And in obvious Vancouver sighting for the local resident, the swanky place that Iris and Barry were having their date is called Yaletown. Pretty expensive but nice looking place...really fake people hang around there lol

Please keep pointing out local landmarks. I visited Vancouver for the second time this March and fell in love with it. The CW shows make me miss it. The place where Barry whisked away Iris to looked a little like the Cactus Club Cafe at the end of Denman.

Wonderwall

Staff member
Please keep pointing out local landmarks. I visited Vancouver for the second time this March and fell in love with it. The CW shows make me miss it. The place where Barry whisked away Iris to looked a little like the Cactus Club Cafe at the end of Denman.

Well I'm glad you liked Vancouver. It's got issues but it is a nice city...just expensive :D

I'll try to do my best to at least try to point out the landmarks or at least areas I'm familiar with. I think the place that Iris and Barry go to at the end of the episode for the second date is the area that looks over False Creek. The they should use that Cactus Club on Denman, it's such a great view especially at night. Although I noticed he ran her around some place looking over the ocean( Definitely outside city limits since there was way too much green countryside ) and then the Sea Wall before getting her there. It's like why are you running around in such a weird way Barry? :lol:

Tohya

deficit omne quod nasciture
Last week my sister pointed out...so what does Wally do on this show? It's true, now that he doesn't have his parental guided angst from last season he's just kind of there.
Is he though? Of all the things to question in the first [two] three episodes, idk if "Whats the point of Wally" is one of them. Hes been the crux of two of the first three episodes, featuring heavily in the first episode as Kid Flash (remember that he was the reason Flash was prompted to fix the timeline) and essentially driving the important plot points of this past episode. In fact, the episode essentially stop short of saying "Wally is gonna be alchemys lackey for a of couple episodes when he inevitably reaches out to him to get his powers." If anything, the question of "what's the point of X character" probably belongs to Caitlin, because despite the obvious Killer Frost plot there setting her up for, she serves absolutely no purpose on this show.

hobbyfan

@Tohya: That's also known as sledgehammer of plot. Emphasis on sledgehammer. We're going to see scenes of redemption like we did with Magenta/Frankie again and again.

The Penguin

Mod of Fowl Play
Staff member
Mirror Master! Tonight at 8 p.m. ET on The CW.

theflashtb.jpg
"The New Rogues"
Tuesday, October 25, 2016 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
Barry continues to train Jesse and when a new meta-human, Mirror Master, appears on the scene he lets her tag along.

hobbyfan

Ok, I had read where they gender-flipped the Top for this show. Meh. Snart (Wentworth Miller) makes a cameo appearance via flashback in the open and via hologram later. I guess they've figured out how to use him aside from Legends to fulfill his contract.

Wally & Jesse are starting to make hay as a couple, and then Jesse goes home to Earth-2. Not so sure about Wells 3.0, though. Caitlin is discovering, slowly, that she's turning into Earth-1 Killer Frost, and I think it might be something connected to last year. Joe apparently may have a new squeeze himself, probably to make up for Wally's sudden fling coming to a halt.

The best part: No Alchemy, and since I was flipping between this and the World Series, I don't know if Julian made an appearance. Hmmmm. Full name is Julian Albert. Nice sledgehammer of plot, guys.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!

Featured Posts