The First Annual What DC Title needs to be put out of it's Misery Award!

Emerald Archer

From the Inner Sanctum
First a big kudo to Jim Harvey for liking the idea of this post enough to energize me to do it.

The universe is a closed loop. Matter cannot be created or destroyed, even the infinite may have an end. What goes up must come down, bad karma is always countered by good karma. Ying and Yang, no good deed goes unpunished............

So what does that preceeding paragraph have to do with anything? Well this is the flip side topic to the thread dealing with what new DC title is a must read. This is the yang to it's ying. This is the dark side of that question, the dark side of the force. So here goes................

What DC title needs to be put out of it's misery? Any title is game, including Vertigo and Wildstorm. Should a particular title be cancelled? Should a creative team be axed? What needs to be done to fix the problem?

A few ground rules. Remember that a title you may hate, may be loved by someone else. Personality bashing is probably not a good thing. Everybody loves somebody sometimes:p In a week or so we'll do the same thing with Marvel titles.

Last edited by a moderator:

Clayface

Molecularly Malleable Mod
Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight just isn't pulling its own weight anymore. The title has lost its momentum, and, I think it should just be axed. There are far too many bat-titles as it is.

Batman: Gotham Knights either needs an overhaul or to be axed as well. Devin Greyson's run was excellent, but I'm sorely disappointed with what Beatty's done with the title. Send in someone else to do the job, or just cancel this title as well.

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
They need to send the Robin crew on thier merry way, as for me, Robin hasn't been the same since Chuck Dixon left.

And have a good creative team on Justice League Adventures, and keep it!

I don't read a lot of DC stuff so that's all I've got.

Emerald Archer

From the Inner Sanctum
50 CC's of Cordrazine Stat!

On the critical List:
Green Lantern - It's been close to being dead for months now. But with Judd off the title, it may have new life. I don't think we'll know for 3 or 4 more months.

Green Arrow - Goes onto the critical list because Judd HAS taken over the title. Though I was really glad to see him utilize Jeff Pierce in the first issue he wrote.

Aquaman - Has yet to excite me. I keep reading it hoping that something worth while is going to happen.

On the Watch list, may need life support at any time:

JLA - I know that Joe Kelly always has a long range plan with his books, but sometimes it gets way to convoluted. The Obsidian Age story line proved it. Time for someone else to try their creative hand on the worlds greatest super team.

The Teen Titans - From what I've seen in Graduation Day, this title may need a lot of work.

Jin Kazama

Hawkguy
Staff member
I'm sort of upset to see three of the comics I regular on here (Green Lantern, Green Arrow, Robin). Then again, I can't really argue with them, as all are very valid arguments that I sort of push into the back of my mind in denial. Well, aside from GA. I havn't picked up the Judd issue yet, so I can't comment on it.

But, I'll have to second Robin. For what seems to be about a year now, it's just been boring and random. You have 3-5 issue segments that, when it's over, did nothing for the character or the story. Like all that work was put into doing something that would be forgotten in a month when the next issue-set begins.

I don't know if they're planning something big from all this, but to me the comic just hasn't been the same since Robin left the boarding school.

Mad Monkey 7

Robin is getting a new write that guy from Fables. JLA will have Chris Claramount and John Bryne for a story arch.

Jor-El

Krypton is doomed.
Archer, of COURSE I agree with GL, GA, and JLA, as you must have figured. I dropped Aquaman immediately after buying the first issue. I also agree with what Jim Harvey said in another thread about the Super-books. They were once the best titles being produced by DC, and now they're THIS. :(

But Teen Titans? That book hasn't even come out yet! :) Geoff Johns and Mike McKone will NOT disappoint. When have they ever?

Mattashell

Before punk,there were NUGGETS
I like Action, Robin and Aquaman.

I agree about Green Lantern and Green Arrow, two books that have suffered a while, but do you really want them cancelled? GA and GL deserve to be around, they just need better treatment.

B

Batman

I'd like to see JLA get either completely revamped with a competent creative team, or just get dropped all together. I initially read the series becuase of Batman, but was introduced to a host of great characters, like The Flash and Martian Manhunter. I read the title now and it just seems to be a hollow shell of what it used to be.

Another title from DC I can't stand is Harley Quinn. She's been poorly handled since she was brought into the mainstream universe, something I believe is a huge mistake. The series has just been a mish-mash of ridiculous plots, contrived dialogue, and sometimes bad art. Let this one go, DC. Let it go.

I used to read some Superman books, too, but those have become such a wasteland of talent that I don't dare to go near them. I think out of all the DC books, those ones need the most revamping and fixing.

Doug Smith

I can't even remember the last time I picked up an issue of Legends of the Dark Knight. It's not a bad book, but it's totally unnecessary. Time to let it go, and if some creative team has a great idea for a mini-series, just let them publish a mini-series.

Aquaman failed to grab me, which surprised me since I had high hopes with Rick Vietch on board.

As somebody mentioned above, Bill Willingham (of Fables) is coming on board Robin, so that may be worth a look. On the other hand, Rick Mays is doing the art, and I'm not a big fan of his work.

I'm watching Birds Of Prey very carefully - I think Gail Simone is facing a much bigger challenge there than she could have ever thought.

And I would agree that about half of the Bat-related titles need to go, because they've diluted not just Batman himself, but also his main villains. Is there ever a month where we don't see either Joker or Ra's Al Ghul in some book?

JLA definitely needs some serious help.

Vertigo? I actually think they are pretty strong right now.

Wildstorm? I don't know if there is anything there that needs a mercy killing, but they sure don't seem to have the clout that they did back in the '90s. I am loving Wildcats 3.0, however.

Emerald Archer

From the Inner Sanctum
I second the motion on Harley.............

Harley, as a title, varies way to much in quality. And I am not sure how or why it keeps alive. I don't think the sales are that strong. Do they keep it because it's one of the few books they have with a strong female character as it's central focus.

Another title that I should have placed on the watch list, and may need critical help, is Wonder Woman. Of the big three, WW's title has always been the most inconsisitant. As of late it really has failed to do anything for me. With Rucka on the title I hope that were going to see a major rebirth of the Amazing Amazon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Clayface

Molecularly Malleable Mod
emeraldarcher said:
Another title that I should have placed on the watch list, and may need critical help, is Wonder Woman. Of the big three WW's title has always been the most inconsisitant. As of late it really has failed to do anything for me. With Rucka on the title I hope that were going to see a major rebirth of the Amazing Amazon.

Well, I'm definitely on board for Rucka's run. After reading his hardcover GN, I couldn't pass it up. I've never been a fan of the character, but I'm checking out Rucka's run for at least a little while to see what he does with the title.

Mattashell

Before punk,there were NUGGETS
BoP certainly has been succking big time! There's a sign in its spot at my comic shop advertising it as being from the creative team of Love & Rockets :rolleyes: That goes to show how hip and trendy Seattle is. L&R was a flavor of the month, and while I know almost nothing about it, this run on BoP certainly doesn't make me want to seek it out. I have total faith in Simone, who has, in record time, securd a spot as one of my favorite writers with her work on Deadpool and Agent X.

I've been reading Wonder Woman for a while, and I can sum it up in a word - BORING! However Wonder Woman is an icon, and it would be sad if they cancelled her again, instead of fixing the book up.

Emerald Archer

From the Inner Sanctum
Quick, Time is running out................

I'll be posting part two of this question on Saturday, so if anyone has anything else to add, do it soon:)

Tim Vee

XD LOL OMFE
The Authorithy, Vol.2. Not "Bad", really, but very bland and lifeless compared to the original. Either get a new creative team (I vote for Grant Morrison as writer) or chuck this out the window.

DKstormyknight

Shadow in the Darkness
I hated it when they did that awful "hell" story in Harley Quinn! Except for that, I love the book, and I think if you don't like a book, then don't read it. Also, I really wish Azrael hadn't been cut. That was a good book and a great character!

:harley:

Rand

The Detective
Batman: Gotham Knights. It needs to go. Scott Beatty just isn't cutting it, unfortunately. Which is a real darn shame, since he's doing so well with Batgirl: Year One. I wonder what the difference is? Male character/female character? Chuck Dixon helping? What?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts