The final day of Court TV

Nexonius

Ten, count em', ten years!
Tomorrow, at 12:01AM, Court TV will now become TruTV.

Say goodbye to the once all Court/News network with trials like O.J. Simpson, Phil Spector, Scott Peterson, and more.

From the original movies to original shows like Forensic Files (2000), Dominick Dunne's Power, Privilege & Justice, Body Of Evidence, and The Investigators.

It started in July 1st, 1991 (which was also the year former half sister Comedy Central was born, April 1st) by Steven Brill. Time Warner, Liberty Media, and NBC were investors in the network.

By 1995, the network was known for the trial of OJ Simpson, which got them in more homes.

In 1997, Steven Brill left Court TV.

In 1998, while needing to acquire Crime related shows, NBC sells its stake to both Time Warner and Liberty Media. Discovery Communications (Discovery Channel, Animal Planet, TLC) made and then dropped a bid for Court TV.

In 2000, Court TV was getting into the web business by acquiring the popular sites Crime Library and The Smoking Gun. Then, AT&T bought a stake in Time Warner Entertainment, which included Court TV and TW's entertainment channels.

In 2001, Court TV celebrated its 10th Anniversary.

In 2002, AT&T sold their stake in TW Ent., resulting in a 50/50 ownership between Time Warner and Liberty Media.

In 2003, there were rumors about Viacom (Owners of Comedy Central) buying Court TV, but TW and LM refused.

In 2004, Court TV was getting bigger than ever with podcasts.

In 2005, Court TV was separated into to entities: Court TV Daytime (News) and Court TV Primetime (Seriously Entertaining).

On May 15, 2006, Time Warner and Liberty Media made a deal for Time Warner to acquire Court TV for $735 Million for its Turner Broadcasting unit. It has been said that Court TV is worth nearly $1.5 billion or higher.

In November 2006, before Thanksgiving, Court TV's original Ratings symbols changed to the Turner Ratings logos.

On March 13, 2007, Court TV was ditching its name with a new vision: reality. This would be Turner's first entry into a reality network.

In April or May 2007, Nancy Grace (which she has a show on sister Headline News), left Court TV after Star Jones was reportedly coming in July.

In July 2007, the name was introduced: TruTV.

Then, in November, the promotions of TruTV was here on Court TV and other Turner networks (not TCM or Boomerang).

In December, Court TV's logo bug was altered with TruTV's bug. Then, mid-December, the Court TV logo has now gone, with TruTV's logo in its place. And also, the Court TV and Court TV News websites will be frozen in cyberspace for good tomorrow. Trials will appear on CNN.com.

Now, in its final day, we see Court TV vanish into Tru TV.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheVofSteel

Eh, never watched this channel anyway...I watched Forensic Files a couple times, it was interesting, but other than that, Court TV was largely a boring channel. That's not saying reality shows are any better, though.

Also, Court TV is technically not ending, it's just changing its name and programming. Nickelodeon GAS truly ended because their programming was automated and had a different system then The N. Since the N took over and had a different system, Nick GAS's system was shut down, and the network was fully and actually ended.

Of course, it somehow remains on the air for Dish Network users, IDK why. Perhaps they're using previous recordings of the network while they wait for their glitch with The-N to be worked out?

BartWinkle

I used to watch Court TV on weekends to check out what movies they'd be showing. They had an interesting library. I still have "The Interrogation Of Michael Crowe" on tape.

Nexonius

Ten, count em', ten years!
Well, Court TV still exists as Court TV News in the trial hours. It's not TRUly gone.

Draft

I wish Viacom had this instead of Comedy Central..

Never watched it, but prolly they'll make a court TV digital channel which will air CNN Trial news, court TV Daytime, and 4 hour back to back airings of Nancy Grace from CNN Headline News

Draft

Cause then [adult swim] would regain Futurama, and add South Park, Lil' Bush, and Drawn Together (among other things), and viacom could continue with it's older skewing networks (with Nick, MTV, and I guess VH1). Plus Tim and Eric would go to Comedy Central since it's live action (and be instantly cancelled)

bigddan11

Justice must be served!
I never had Court TV available in any of the areas I lived, except through Dish Network and Direct TV. It wasn't available on most of the Cable One digital tiers. I'll admit when they announced it, I was afraid it would become a network for nonstop showings of The People's Court, Judge Judy, Judge Joe Brown, Texas Justice, etc. While many of the shows they showed previews for on other networks looked interesting, I never had the ability to turn over and see how they were actually done. I think if that fear of non-stop judge shows had been clarified in the beginning, then Court TV may have been available on more providers, and if it was on more providers, it might still be around today.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts