The Fairly Odd Parents 20th aniversery

Hamlett

Today’s is the 20th aniversery of the Nickelodeon second biggest hit animated show the fairly odd parents witch I remember watching it as a kid the premiere episode was the big problem / power mad what was your first introduction to the show and best old pre poof episode and why?

Spacething7474

Angry Birds Space is NINE years old now!?!
Minnesota. Or maybe Wisconsin. Or maybe Iowa.
My first introduction was probably seeing episodes on Nicktoons back in late 2012. My first exposure I can verify, however, was seeing ads of the season 9 premiere in early 2013.

Best pre-Poof episode? That’s an oxymoron!

But for real, Escape from Unwish Island and Back to the Norm (which are both from the last pre-Poof season).

Pooky

I was vaguely aware of it before, but I think the first time I saw any of it was in late 2003 on BBC2. I was 16 and I thought it was hilarious, it really reinvigorated my enthusiasm for animation (believe it or not I hadn't really seen any Spongebob at the time).

Favourite episode? Not sure but The Same Game, Abra-Catsatrophy! and Vicky Loses Her Icky stand out in my mind.

I stopped seeing new episodes, for varying reasons, sometime around the end of the fourth season. I've caught bits and pieces since then, I know it has a reputation for going downhill, and I will neither dispute nor agree with that, but I will say whenever I caught later episodes I was at least impressed that it still looked and felt like the same show. Regardless of that or anything else, it's a show I have a huge soft spot for and suspect I always will.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
I stopped seeing new episodes, for varying reasons, sometime around the end of the fourth season.
I think the BBC only aired the Nelvana episodes (season 1-5 minus the Jimmy Neutron crossovers), no?

Eurbane

My favorite Characters of the show is: Ms Turner, Tootie, Vicky's Mom, Jorgen Von Strangle, Veronica, Tad and Chad and of course Trixie tang.
My personal favorite episodes of Fairly Odd Parents are:
Chin Up/Dog Day Afternoon
A wish too far/Tiny Timmy (featuring the debut of Trixie Tang)
The Boys in the band/Hex Games
Boy Toy/Inspection Detection
Timvisible/That old Black Magic
Foul Balled/The boy who would be queen
Totally Spaced Out/The Switch Glitch
Mighty Mom and Dyno Dad/Knighty KNight
Cosmo Con/Wanda's Day off
Information Super Highway
Odd Jobs/Movie Magic
Microphony/So Totally Spaced Out
Love Stuck
The Crimson Chin Meets Mighty mom and Dyno Dad
Most Wanted Wish/This is Your Wish
Pipe Down/The Big Scoop
Crime Wave/Odd Ball
Where's Wanda/Imginary Gary
Miss Dimsdale/Mind Over Magic
Chip off the old Chip/Snow Bound
The Big Superhero Wish
Vicky Loses Her Icky/Pixies Inc
Baby Face/Mr Right
Power Pals/Emotion Commotion
Odd Couple/Class Clown
Who's your Daddy/Home Wrecker
Channel Chasers
Fairy Friends and Neighbors/Just the two of us
The Wisholgy trilogy
Crocker Shocker/Super Zero
Chicken Poofs/Stupid Cupid
Take n Fake/Cosmo Rules
Finding Emo/Dust Bunnies
and Chip off the Old Chip/Dimsdale got talent (Where we had to say goodbye to Trixie Tang)

I also like Two and a half Babies/anchors aweigh and Weirdos on a train/Ton of Timmy's

My Brother Luke likes:
The first and last episode
A wish too Far/Tiny Timmy
Mamic Mom Day/Crocker of Gold
Invasion of the dads
Jerks of all trade/Snack Attack
and Chip off the old Chip/Dimsdale got talent.

Last edited:

Pooky

I think the BBC only aired the Nelvana episodes (season 1-5 minus the Jimmy Neutron crossovers), no?

I don't know that for a fact, but it sounds about right (I don't even recall seeing any Session 5 episodes on there TBH). I know a rival Channel (Channel 5) started showing some of the later Seasons at some point

LinusFan303

A fan of Peanuts in their 70th year
I remember seeing the older shorts on Oh! Yeah Cartoons , then I saw the premiere when it first came on too. It's still one of my favorite Nicktoons (even though it went downhill later on) I like really like the specials "Schools Out" , "Channel Chasers" , " Abra-Catastrophe", "Christmas Everyday" , "The Secret Origin of Denzel Crocker"

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
I first discovered FOP in late 2003 in one of those GameHouse Nickelodeon jigsaw puzzles they used to have that had Nick shows (I first heard of SpongeBob from there) that was on the then-RealONE Arcade. We in Portugal had no Nickelodeon for epheons of ages (as a channel) so I thought that finding the show was borderline impossible.

Until one evening a few weeks later, already in early 2004, I discovered the show on Canal Panda. At the time I was unaware of the fact that Nelvana licensed the older seasons outside of the USA, so I hoped that Panda would air SpongeBob too. That was the first dubbed cartoon I fell in love with - up until then, all my favorite cartoons were all in English (I was a CN kid) or the famous Spanish-dubbed Doraemon that Canal Panda aired.

So, why did I like it at the time? It had that feeling of the CN shows of the time, even at such a young age, and thought the show was so well-executed. I stopped watching because Canal Panda sorta mistreated it and I later rewatched a new dub on Nick Iberia, where I was able to experience first-hand the episodes that came after Poof. Even I watched the later seasons (for research or for boredom) even though, common consensus, they aren't as rewarding as the older seasons.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
I never caught the shorts when they aired on On Yeah Cartoons since yeah I wasn't much of a fan back of Oh Year Cartoon in the day but I did remember the push for both Fairy Oddparents and Invader Zim at the same time and though Zim even when it started out seemed to not really be pushed and only make occassional re runs or time slots, FOP was everywhere even in the first 6 episodes and yeah though I didn't catch the start of "The Big Wish" what I saw of the middle part of that ep I found really funny and all the various TV gags in "power Mad" made me a quick fan of the series which I was in the first five seasons. "Fairy Odd Baby" wasn't as terrible as I thought and some of the post Poof episodes were okay but yeah like a lot of people I wasn't really into the show in it's later half and yeah a lot of the scattered re runs they push a lot on Nicktoons I saw glimpses of make me not able to get into them really at all just being too stupid or annoying. But there are still a lot of the original Run I really like I feel deserve some mention if we're also going over best episodes of the "Classic Era".

OH YEAH CARTOONS SHORTS - Again I didn't see them when they originally aired on Oh Yeah Cartoons but once FOP blew up during season one they did reair the shorts as 3 separate episodes, dubbing over Mary Kay Bergman (Timmy's original VA before Mary Kay's tragic passing) for Tara Strong for the episodes to feel more natural and eventually also caught the only non dubbed short as well which I want to spotlight a bit. Admittedly the shorts though cute and are mostly fun little sprinklings with enough of a heart to show why this could be it's own show (like Timmy saying he loves his fairies in "The Zappys" for instance) aren't really given as much punch up or wit as most of the rest of the show. One thing though I really liked that sadly didn't carry over was the shorts made it clear that both Cosmo AND Wanda were screw ups and Timmy was much more the voice of reason at times or Wanda could be an idiot and in the wrong. "Where's The Wand" for instance had her acting as a jealous fool for no reason and Cosmo pointing that out which... man would not happen in the actual show. And granted yeah characters evolve over time but sadly that evolution was into much more sterotypical roles of "oh the husband is an idiot and the wife is a nag" because hey Homer and Marge were like that so why not have so many other animated couples do that? And again in the Tracy Ulman episodes and even some season one you could see that wasn't always just the case either and... oh right yeah being positive here and about FOP so yeah I recommend that one if you want a fun light silly but actually different still good take on the characters take on the early run of the show.

SEASON ONE - You know the thing about Fairy Oddparents even in it's earlier years was how stupid even supposedly smarter characters would be just to have an excuse for the episode and it's moral to play out a lot of the time. Seriously so many of these episodes like "Spaced Out" "Dream Goat" "The Same Game" etc feel like they could easily have been solved if you know the characters at like the smallest amount of common sense. Still there's some episodes that are really funny that have enough gags and bits to them that still make me laugh. Again the first episode has a lot of that as do "Tiny Timmy" and "Father Time" the later of which actually pointing out the logical solution but going with a more dangerous cooler one that yeah I can at least see why a kid would go for. It is clear this show is always making up things as it goes along mostly rules and restrictions but there is an earnesty and enjoyment in the small cast and still pleasent goofy world. Nothing grand but still having fun and quotable bits. Seriously "So bored, can't focus" and "that's silly you should just call it the Timmy" are great jokes even 20 years later.

SEASON TWO - "Scary Godparents" is IMHO easily the best holiday episode ("Christmas Every Day" even as a kid felt overly stretched out and I didn't really like "Love Struck!" in 2003 and that is even more problematic and obnoxious thinking of now) and though season 2 isn't overall the best season it does seem like a step up from the original getting better at what rules and ideas to keep and working with balancing more characters and ideas and even trying to incoperate the lessons slightly better. It still always feels for the most part forced but it's not quite as obnoxious or "totally destroys your logic of how this world works" like the first. And there are some solid episodes in here. "The Boy Who Would Be Queen" does have that nosensical guys and girls don't understand one another but not only is one of the few to do something interesting with Trixie due does try showing it's okay breaking some gender norms even if it is still forcing down a lot of stereotypes; "That Old Black Magic" uses the Anti Fairies very well and I admit their take on George W Bush (i mean uh the president at the time) I still find hilarious even to this day; "Information Stupor Highway" though probably even date for how it viewed the internet in 2002/2003 is still amusing and "I'm respecting your privacy by knocking but asserting my authority as your parent by coming in anyway" is one of the show's best runners; and yeah "Deja Vu" is one of my favorite episodes and just favorite wishes. Like thinking about it, THIS is where Morty in Rick And Morty should of gotten the idea for a do over device except here the lesson isn't even "don't do things over" but more "be careful in how you think through your wishes" which honestly feels like a better morale as Timmy had to be smarter not just feel guilty about doing something dumb or insensitive.

SEASON THREE - This one felt like the season that really started taking more risks with the show as it's popularity continued as we started seeing the show experiment not only with more longer episodes but also movies and specials (that I'll talk about in it's own segment) and just ideas that got away from the format a bit. Like an episode like "Piped Down" with half of it without any dialogue or "The Big Scoop" switching the focus to AJ and Chester (I admit I'm split on whether Frankie Munize or Jason Marsden do him better since yeah Jason does not sound like Frankie at all so the difference is jarring but both do solid work with the character) basing it on a previous episode and giving more for other characters to do like "So Totally Spaced Out" starting to transition Mark as an ally or "The Secret Origin of Denzel Crocker" explaining Crocker's backstory. Granted not all of it worked but it was clear the show was at least willing to bend more from it's formula and still have some pretty entertaining episodes; even if it does contradict "Father Time" "Secret Life..." is still pretty amusing and honestly for this sort of silly show explains Denzel's origin well enough even if I know later episodes would try ruining that for some dumb reason; "The Crimson Chin Meets Mighty Mom and Dyno Dad" probably is overall the best Crimson Chin episode (yeah another thing was one of the episodes this season "Crime Wave" tried acting as a backdoor pilot to a potential Crimson Chin series that never happened. And by back door I mean subplot unlike Crash Nebula which at least got the one episode made to try and do that even if that also failed) especially getting all of the Crimson Chins throughout the comic's run including that super rare edgy 80's chin as the line "not me I was cancelled" is another great one from this series; "Where's Wanda" is a fun set up of detective movies and though the ending is obvious to guess it has enough jokes with the references to not really bother me and the Mr. Turner runner of him trying to be seen as a bad guy is by far one of the best uses of Timmy's Dad. Heck "Snow Bound" trying to give Vicky some amount of depth was at least interesting if not that funny even if yeah that didn't go anywhere whatsoever in later seasons. Still though when it comes to Fairy Oddparents the season season of the show has to be...

SEASON FOUR - Wow looking back at all of the episodes is atonishes me how though there are quite a few clunkers or "I don't really like that aspect" in a lot of episodes of seasons 1-3, how many just funny or amusing episodes season 4 has in it. Even the weakest episodes of the season usually have some good joke or bit worth remembering. I mean even "Just The Two Of Us" has funny appearances from Mark Chang (which are very out of character from him but still funny) and Cosmo's stupid jealously even if the concept just shouldn't work for this show and yeah this ruins any idea of Trixie being a good match for Timmy so why Timmy had any interest in her after this I have no idea. The rest though are great and have a lot of just solimd memorable bits so I'm just going to list 10 episodes quick and either talk about favorite gag or line or moment from them real quick.
"Miss Dimsdale" (the first to have Adam West as self insert Adam West. Both Fairy oddparents and Family Guy knew how to take a version of Adam West and make it great but some of his stuff here espeically the "I'll see you in a week" "hey timmy I'll see you in 3 days" is just some of his funniest material I've seen)
"Vicky Loses Her Icky" (Nice Vicky and Timmy's emergency escape procedure)
"Mr. Right" (like "Deja Vu" this is just one of the coolest best wish ideas ever and love the idea of having to find someone who can't listen to him but still having his make things right power to get back at them)
"Lights Camera Adam" ("I'll see you in the sequel, which we all know won't be as good or even make nearly as much money as the original" Which is debatable but still funny. Also more good Adam west stuff)
"A Bad Case of Diary-uH" ("It Reminds Me of the Hunt")
"Shelf Life" (Granted it's Channel Chasers with books but Channel Chasers is a funny concept I don't mind them redoing with something else plus how Timmy tricks Huck Finn is good)
"Fairy Friends And neighbors" (Having an excuse for Cosmo and Wanda to interact with the Turners is great plus "ding" "cookies" "it's over" is a great exchange for this show)
"Wish Fixers" (I like the use of the Pixie's here and also the Spongebob reference which we'd get in other episodes but still clever here).
"Genie Meanie Minie Moe" (Another thing this and Family Guy have is giving a special role of a super powered creature to super sarcastic Norm McDonald that would later be recasted but yeah Norm's appearances are all good in the classic era and I do like exploring other type of magical creatures even more jerky ones like norm).
"Beach Bummed" (Though "Truth Or Cosmoquences" had an actually good needing to go to the bathroom runner it had a much more obvious sort of ending while here the conflict felt a lot harder to predict with this sort of wish. Plus this is the last time making fun of super slow motion Baywatch running will be funny... yes this came out 13 years BEFORE the Baywatch movie so think about that).

SEASON FIVE: - You could tell the team was running out of ideas at this point and relying much more on gimmick and celebrity guest stars. Diana DeGarmo, Julia Louis Dryfus, Mary Hart, Tony Cinco, Jason Bateman etc etc. Like yeah we've seen celebrites before but they usually played characters you could really see having their own history and were in a fair amount of episodes but these felt much more like gimmicks as it was clear the team was kind of running out of ideas. As yeah this was supposed to be when the show originally ended before you know coming back with Fairy Oddbaby in it's second half. Still this did have a fair amount of strong and memorable episodes worth talking about a bit. I mean "You Doo" is another one of those great wishes Timmy makes you really could see a kid making that takes full advantage of the idea; "The Masked Magician" is one of the more interesting since it points out how yeah there are some times when a villain is made by the hero's action and recnogizning and doing something to stop that before you have an eternal rivarly is a good thing; "Escape From Unwish Island" has a lot of awesome callbacks from previous episodes like Imaginary Gary and the Sphinx plus I love referring to Elmer and Sanjay as Timmy's "back up friends" which is probably a lot crueler joke then I think even the show realizes; "Something Fishy" also does callbacks in a more subtle way and does a lot of good jokes about Atlantis though mannnnnnnnnn FOP was off on the "Wet Willy" aka Aquaman movie being a total flop no one would like though hey shows how dated making fun of Aquaman jokes really are. And finally "The Good Old Days" having things take place in the black and white era of cartoons and mocking those conventions were a lot of fun.

Oh and special mention to all the movies and extended episodes as well. Abra Catasrophbe (granted the monkey stuff feels like filler and the ending is a cop out but the rest works) Channel Chasers ( I think this does get too much credit since yeah the continuity of faires leaving when a kid grows up feels so off with how the last special was about how few fairies even see their kids for more then a year and also Fairy oddparents isn't the kind of series like say Toy Story where you can logically see the kid growing up in a more normal world with how it operates to really appreciate a more mature message but eh the TV spoofs are still great), School's Out (a lot of great songs in this one) Fairy Idol (a great song plus nice of them to get more on Timmy's case for his jerkiness even if yeah that is still a thing a lot in the later seasons even from what little I saw of it) and of course the 3 Jimmy Timmy Power Hours. Honestly in terms of crossoveers between totally in their differint universe shows this just works in the interaction and built of the relationship over the 3 specials that you really don't get in most one and done crossovers even if yeah the third should of had more involve from the Jimmy Neutron team as felt like 85% of that was from the FOP team when it really shouldn't of been.

So yeah a lot of solid memories and good bits from FOP who yeah had a lot of great things in it's first... 5 to 6 years. Guess the other 10 weren't so hot but I'm sure some episodes from the later half had some merit and I know there are some season 6 episodes I did like but eh not really worth listing out here.

Dr.Pepper

I’m pretty sure I saw some of the Oh Yeah Cartoon shorts before hand, but I know I watched FOP on this day 20 years ago. I liked it for mindless entertainment, but I don’t have too many specific memories about it. It was always just something there. I did love the Channel Changers special.

Also IIRC it’s Invader Zim’s 20th anniversary as well.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
@Red Arrow I remember it taking ages to arrive on Nick UK. Even the DVDs were outsourced.
Flanders got all seasons on Nickelodeon starting 2004 and the Nelvana seasons also aìred on VT4 starting 2004, not long after the Flemish premiere on Nickelodeon. The Dutch DVDs were also outsourced!

Pooky

I believe the PS2\XBox\Gamecube game Breakin Da Rules also never got a PAL release. The follow up, Shadow Showdown, was a frequent sight in bargain bins here for years though (at least the PS2 version).

Last edited:

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
"Something Fishy" also does callbacks in a more subtle way and does a lot of good jokes about Atlantis though mannnnnnnnnn FOP was off on the "Wet Willy" aka Aquaman movie being a total flop no one would like though hey shows how dated making fun of Aquaman jokes really are.
I find it amazing to see that the creative team behind the series was very much ahead of its time - they predicted an underperformed Aquaman movie by thirteen years.

Neo Ultra Mike

Uh what are you talking about RandomMe? I admit I thought Aquaman's movie was okay but that is not only considered one of the best DCEU movie but also the biggest DC Movie of all times in terms of sales and box office. So yeah Aquaman obviously over performed. Plus "Something Fishy" was again about how Lame Wet Willy aka Aquaman is and how his movie was so terrible the Atlantis wouldn't want to be above water at all to deal with it so yeah pretty clear how that was made at the again super dated "Aquaman is lame" period of jokes.

SG-17

I definitely saw the Oh Yeah Cartoon shorts. I stopped watching with the end of the fifth season, I hated Poof and never went back after the premier of season six.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Uh what are you talking about RandomMe? I admit I thought Aquaman's movie was okay but that is not only considered one of the best DCEU movie but also the biggest DC Movie of all times in terms of sales and box office. So yeah Aquaman obviously over performed. Plus "Something Fishy" was again about how Lame Wet Willy aka Aquaman is and how his movie was so terrible the Atlantis wouldn't want to be above water at all to deal with it so yeah pretty clear how that was made at the again super dated "Aquaman is lame" period of jokes.
I was just saying about how they predicted something without even noticing. In the official YT upload of the episode (that Nelvana somehow got rights to) there used to be comments (this was before COPPA blocked the comments) about how they predicted that specific Aquaman movie (at the time the episode was made there still was no standalone movie, a failed TV series was in the works) being poorly-received. Sorry if I missed out the point.

Neo Ultra Mike

Honestly don't know if that's a prediction because quite honestly.... by the 2000s there really should of been movies for each of the major DC heroes. Like it's beyond sad it took till 2017 to get a Wonder Woman movie and 2018 to get an Aquaman movie. Not to mention it was more just a general mention not specifically mocking anything really about Aquaman outside of you know people's poor understanding of the character at the time.

Though more on topic about FOP I always did find it interesting how many differing parodies they had of super heroes since yeah pretty clear Butch Hartman is a big fan but they had a bunch of various takes on the genre. Heck how many parodies of Batman were there? Adam West Catman for the 60's show (which weirdly looks like the Catman from the actual DC Comics), the super friends esque homage Power Pal's Dark Mark, and the one from Channel Chasers Black Bird that obvious homages BTAS. That's a lot of different takes on a character for just one show.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

harry580 wrote on Santana434's profile.
hi, what cartoon is your profile pic from?

I haven't seen an Nostalgia Critic episode in 6 years and i don't plan on coming back.

But good lord this is cringe. It straight up looks like a 2001 Newgrounds cartoon. I'm suprised Foamy the Squirrel didn't pop up
So is there going to be a "Do you remember ___________?" thread for every show that ever existed? Or is it just for shows that came out in the last 30 years?
I wish a happy 49th birthday to Aliki Theofilopoulos Grafft.

I could find some stuff that was relatable from Kansas City.

Featured Posts