The entire Yokai Watch Cast has been replaced.

Latest News

Takao

Fight the darkness all around
Mar 17, 2010
Ratings
730 1
Canada
Reminds me of when 4kids did the same with Pokemon, but this was quicker for YKW.
This is kind of semantics, but I'm going to correct you here.

4Kids never intentionally replaced the entire Pokemon cast. What happened is that their license expired and the Japanese production companies wouldn't let them renew it. They wanted to control the show themselves. So they opened a US office (creatively named Pokemon USA) and have handled production ever since. Pokemon was a very successful franchise and 4Kids compensated their voice cast well. The Japanese did not want to pay them that much money, so they hired very cheap soundalikes.

With Yo-Kai Watch, ownership hasn't changed hands. Season 2 and the movie were union dubs. Have to wonder who Level-5 abby will get to replace them.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World
Reminds me of when 4kids did the same with Pokemon, but this was quicker for YKW.
I think that you're referring to TPCI. We never had a confirmed reason as to why they got rid of the 4Kids cast, but it was most likely an attempt on saving money as well, even though they obviously could have afforded to keep the original cast around. Yokai Watch isn't nearly as big as Pokemon here, so as sad as it is for the voice actors to be replaced, it makes more sense that they couldn't afford to keep the original cast around.

The video games haven't been doing well in the US, and that's probably why they're doing it.
That's too bad. The games and the show never looked too appealing to me, but I knew that the franchise is pretty big in Japan. It's just hard for another toyetic franchise to really take off in the U.S. and a lot of people brushed off Yokai Watch as another Pokemon rip-off too.

This is kind of semantics, but I'm going to correct you here.

4Kids never intentionally replaced the entire Pokemon cast. What happened is that their license expired and the Japanese production companies wouldn't let them renew it. They wanted to control the show themselves. So they opened a US office (creatively named Pokemon USA) and have handled production ever since. Pokemon was a very successful franchise and 4Kids compensated their voice cast well. The Japanese did not want to pay them that much money, so they hired very cheap soundalikes.

With Yo-Kai Watch, ownership hasn't changed hands. Season 2 and the movie were union dubs. Have to wonder who Level-5 abby will get to replace them.
I didn't think that the 4Kids voice actors were being paid that much by 4Kids, especially when they had to take on multiple roles on their different shows. There were claims that their contracts with 4Kids prevented TPCI from hiring them, but they were freelance actors and could have gone to the TPCI dub if they asked them. The original cast were completely out of the loop about the situation until it was too late. They were apparently getting ready to dub the Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon special before finding out about the voice cast change.

While it is still sad that they couldn't keep the original cast around, I think it was ultimately for the best that 4Kids lost the rights to Pokemon. Given their lawsuits with TV Tokyo over the Yu-Gi-Oh! license, they were most likely breaking their contract over Pokemon as well. I think TPCI even got involved with the lawsuit too. Given how popular Pokemon became, it made sense that they'd want to have their own company handle the anime instead of relying on a third party company. It's still a shame that it came at the expense of the original cast and to the current cast's credit, most of them have improved immensely, but I think it was for the best at the end.

CyberCubed

Sep 25, 2004
Ratings
45 1
NY
Before I clicked this topic I assumed it would be the main cast, like how pokemon got rid of both Misty/Brock. Kinda of ironic that this would have been a bigger deal if it happened during the anime craze in the early 2000's, but it's too late for anyone to really care much.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World
I actually thought it was referring to the characters instead of the voice actors as well. I'm not sure if it would have had the same kind of impact as when Misty and Brock were replaced in Pokemon primarily due to how Yokai Watch isn't as popular by comparison. Plus, I think it was less commonplace to replace main characters on long running series back then than it is now.

aegisrawks

Apr 25, 2010
Ratings
108 7
Paraguays
I have a theory. Since it was such a dud in the USA but a major hit for Latin America (Yes that tends to happen too) and since the dub needs the USA dub to continue to be based off it, they are using cheaper actors to continue it while allowing Latin America to keep going.

Sep 28, 2011
Ratings
34 1
Merrick ny
I have a theory. Since it was such a dud in the USA but a major hit for Latin America (Yes that tends to happen too) and since the dub needs the USA dub to continue to be based off it, they are using cheaper actors to continue it while allowing Latin America to keep going.
That's probably it. there continuing the English dub for foreign countries such as above. Who knows, maybe they'll pull a Miraculous ladybug and distribute the new eps on netflix when XD's license/contract expires.

The Franchise Not being successful here is probably due to The massive storm That was pokemon go at the time, Key tip: Dont launch a new product as the same time as something similar is Blowing up. Case in point: The FPS Battleborn launching in the same month as blizzards much hyped since announcement FPS Overwatch. The Results...? Oh Man....

Apr 17, 2017
Ratings
34 2
Way too similar to what happened to the BlazBlue cast.
And that was especially painful due to the BB dub being very well received and that it happened RIGHT BEFORE the release of the last chapter of the series(Centralfiction).