The END of Live-Action?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDG

Aspiring animator/filmmaker and Ugliest Man Alive
With multiple live-action shows/events either forced to go virtual or getting cancelled due to COVID-19, networks resorting to rerunning previous seasons of their live-action shows, multiple stay-at-home orders/quarantines throughout the world, people like Robert Pattinson getting infected on sets of shows and movies like The Batman, as well as production of new shows/episodes and movies delayed and sporting events either postponed or cancelled because of these infections, and new seasons of shows like the Arrowverse delayed until next year, could this truly be the END of live-action as we know it?

Last edited:

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I don't think so. Some live action shows are still being made, but with heavy restrictions (such as quarantine periods, masks, etcetera). Live action may come out more slowly, but I doubt it will be phased out. Recall how the last few episodes of Supernatural weren't fully finished when the pandemic hit. Eventually, they picked up again in late summer with the finale airing 2 days ago.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
They're creating a whole new industry for vfx artists. If we can age, de-age, resurrect, surely we've already bridged footage of isolated actors acting out the same scene. The mannequin stand-ins are quite hilarious.

khuddle

I have to say, I think that live action is under increasing threat from 1) animated features and
2) video games. Its not that live-action is particularly bad, its just that animated features have become so much better, across the board, as have video games. I don't think live-action will go extinct, but I'm quite certain we will see relatively less of it in the future.

Reactions: RDG

RDG

Aspiring animator/filmmaker and Ugliest Man Alive

Spideyzilla

Staff member
This thread has gone on long enough. No, Covid will not mean the permanent end of live action content. Period. Yes, there will be stops and starts in filming schedules for the foreseeable future, but these shows and movies will still get made, even if it takes more time. Pointing out every such instance is not constructive. We’ve been dealing with this for almost a year, we know what the situation is. If you want to discuss the pandemic, please do so in the Cafe thread, although please don’t post about every time a TV show or movie has to temporarily halt filming. Otherwise, thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts