James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Apr 23, 2001
Toonzone
www.worldsfinestonline.com
Countless projects are shut down at various stages of production. Whether it's just after the initial idea pitch or early into design work, etc., some productions just aren't able to make it for one reason or another. This is a brief look at a Direct-To-Video feature that could have been.

The Batman Versus Hush

Now, this isn't the first time we've talked about this project, and the information really isn't anything new, but I thought it definitely merits some discussion. If perform a search, I'm sure you'll come across our previous discussion on this topic.

It's no secret that Jeff Matsuda, one of the lead creators behind The Batman, is friends with comic book scribe Jeph Loeb. It's also no secret that Matsuda has talked to Loeb on more than one occasion about introducing the character Hush into The Batman mythos. Who's Hush? Hush was a character Loeb introduced in the popular Batman comic book storyline "Hush" in the early 2000s. After the success of the The Batman Versus Dracula DTV, it seemed like another The Batman DTV was inevitable. And, actually, there was a second The Batman DTV in early pitching stages, a DTV which would have focused on Hush.

However, Warner Bros. Animation wanted to keep the The Batman DTV franchise going as a "The Batman Versus Another Monster" series, so the The Batman Versus Hush (tentative title) idea never went beyond the pitching stage. Whether we'll see future The Batman DTVs remain to be seen. Until then, Matsuda has recently released his The Batman Versus Hush pitch artwork for the fans to see, a thumbnail of which is seen below.

So, is this a project you would've like to see come to fruition? Any thoughts or ideas on how the story could have been adapted? What you would have liked to see in The Batman Versus Hush?

ShadowStar

Nov 11, 2006
USA
I've known about this for a while (the artwork isn't new to me) and I have to say that I'd really enjoy seeing this. The Batman vs. Dracula was a good movie; I'm sure this woud be great. Before season 4 premiered, Alan Burnett said that if season 5 was greenlit, there would probably be another DTV. If we get this subject off the ground again, we could be in for a new The Batman DTV...

However, I would MUCH rather have JL: Worlds Collide or a JLU DTV (The Near Apocalypse of 09!!). :p

DerekPowers

Ruler of Gotham City, 2049
May 2, 2001
TriState Area
I personally never understood trying to turn "Hush" into a regular rogue's gallery-type villian. I just don't think the character works unless he's attached to the comics story "Hush", which wasnt very good (aside from the artwork).

Any attempt to make it into an adaption type dtv story, I think would be a missed opportunity to use one of the many better stories/characters in recent DC comics history. Boring story and boring character, imo.

Ultraman

Aug 26, 2006
Where Ultraman Lives
Just no. Not The Batman's another DTV. No. I prefer The New Batman Adventures version or Batman The Animated Series version better. The more serious, then it'll be a lot better than THE BATMAN.

creativerealms

Jul 14, 2004
But that does not mean this DTV would not have been good in it's own right. Yes they are better then The Batman but the Batman has proven to be good and serous when it needs to be.

RavenFan17

Dec 12, 2005
However, Warner Bros. Animation wanted to keep the The Batman DTV franchise going as a "The Batman Versus Another Monster" series
Gee, great logic, WB.

Batman The Animated Series, The New Batman Adventures, Superman The Animated Series, Batman Beyond, Justice League and Justice League Unlimited.

They are all TRUE DC Animated Universe.

The Batman and Teen Titans DOESN'T COUNTS!
:shrug:

W.C.Reaf

Jan 9, 2007
UK
I think any DTV would've been great considering the quality of the last one.

I'd like for them to update a comic storyline rather than just shoving some monster in there (although one could argue that Hush is a kind of monster himself). Something like The Long Halloween would be great to do and add a villain unique to the DTV, Two Face.

Simpler Simon

Always in Style
May 14, 2002
Ontario
www.bite.ca
Man, there was definitely lost potential with this one.

Hush seems to be ideal for a DTV in that his comics incarnation never proved as appealing and interesting past the original multi-part story. So giving Hush a one-shot would show him at his best and the team would never have to use him again.

On a side note, I feel this is the first time I've really seen Matsuda's designs the way he originally intended...the villains are bizzare-looking on the show, but here they look like absolute freaks. One can only imagine how these designs could've been utilized if applied to the current, older DC Universe line of films.

A.J

Sep 17, 2004
Costa Rica
Whaaaaat? Are you kidding me? This could had been a GREAT DTV for The Batman!!! Come on WB, another TB vs -insert monster here-??? What a shame, really...:(

W.C.Reaf

Jan 9, 2007
UK
If they do do this (I'm sure they won't but if they do) how much of the original plot would they be able to do?

They've already done a similar story to the Superman section of the book at the start of Season 5.

There's no Jason Todd.

Batman/Catwoman don't have that much chemistry.

I think it could work great; just a lot of thought needs to be put into it for it to work.

Robin2099

Jul 4, 2001
Visit site
If they do do this (I'm sure they won't but if they do) how much of the original plot would they be able to do?

They've already done a similar story to the Superman section of the book at the start of Season 5.

There's no Jason Todd.

Batman/Catwoman don't have that much chemistry.

I think it could work great; just a lot of thought needs to be put into it for it to work.
Well they would most likely leave the Superman part out, since their's no real purpose for bringing him into a DTV. Leaving Jason Todd out is ok with me too, and Batman and Catowman could still be a charismatic couple.

Anyway this idea would of been great, and I can't believe WB killed it cause they wanted to keep making monster movies. Hush was a great one time villain but he shouldn't exist past a one shot appearance. If this didn't work a Batman/Ras Al Ghul movie would of worked well too. Shame that so much potential was lost.

Robin2099

Jul 4, 2001
Visit site
A "Batman-Hush" DTV shouldn't be wasted on the kiddie style of "The Batman" but should be told with a Jim Lee 'esque animated style.
That would be incredibly hard to try and fluidly animate Jim Lee's drawings. If they tried it, I feel bad for whoever is animating it.

Ruseri

Jul 16, 2005
Oregon
A "Batman-Hush" DTV shouldn't be wasted on the kiddie style of "The Batman" but should be told with a Jim Lee 'esque animated style.
I don't recall Batman vs Dracula being particularly kiddie.. y'know, with all that blood and violence... :shrug:

DisneyBoy

Searchin' My Soul
May 16, 2001
Somewhere in the imaginat
Visit site
I don't even know who HUSH turned out to be in the end...

...but the whole appeal of the arc was the controversy surrounding whether or not DC decided to go back on their word with regards to the Jason Todd death scandal.

Without Jason Todd...what does HUSH matter?

Still, I like the designs, and would have given this a look out of curiosity. I still haven't seen Dracula, and have no intention too.

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

The Aladdin remake is one of few films that I am actively hoping underperforms. The more we can convince Disney to stop giving animation the finger with these remakes, the better.
I can't believe Russell fricking died.
My tv provider has come to an agreement with Disney.
All channels of Disney (including FOX)
Are going to stay next month.
:)
remember when toon disney aired live action outside of jetix
Rupavahini is airing SeaQuest yet with a local theme song despite the series airing with Sinhala subtitles.