"The Dragon Prince" News and Discussion thread (Spoilers)

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Aren't the non-DreamWorks cartoons better than the Dreamworks cartoons?

Mandouga

Considering that Avatar took itself too seriously for its own good, I don't know. I mean, among other things, that show tried too hard to be dark and edgy, and ultimately, it just didn't really know what it really wanted to do (and please don't ask me to elaborate; it's a long story).

Personally, I think I'll need to look into it a bit more first.

ToonJay723

Staff member
Considering that Avatar took itself too seriously for its own good, I don't know. I mean, among other things, that show tried too hard to be dark and edgy, and ultimately, it just didn't really know what it really wanted to do (and please don't ask me to elaborate; it's a long story).

Personally, I think I'll need to look into it a bit more first.
Well I'm gonna have to ask you to elaborate because I don't understand where this claim is coming from. Avatar had tons have light hearted moments, and I never considered it "dark or edgy". How's a show with Earthbending lemur's, Sokka getting drunk on cactus juice, and multiple blind jokes taking itself "too seriously"?

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
For some reason when I first saw the image the first thing that came to my mind was Deltora Quest. Anyhow, I'll give this a shot. Could be good. At least visually if nothing else.

MegasMilo379

Finally.
After looking at the poster, I was already on board. I can't wait for the trailer.

lol "The Ember Island Players" and the cactus juice moment want to have a word with you.
Avatar certainly knew what to do with itself. It had some dark moments, yes, but it also had some light-hearted and outright humorous moments to balance.
If you really believe what you're saying, then we must've watched different shows.

Frontier

Staff member
Can't this air on Nick since it was created by the writer of Avatar and that was a hit?

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk
I think this probably wasn't shopped at Nick because, at the moment, they're not really looking at something in the same vein as Avatar as this might be.

I remember how they had the later seasons of Korra premier online rather then actually showing them on their channel.

Light Lucario

Staff member
This sounds pretty cool. I really liked Avatar and the poster looks awesome, so I'll have to give this a shot whenever it comes out.

Mandouga

Avatar had light hearted moments yes, but only as a prelude to the darker ones, such as Katara...

seriously (and predictably) considering killing the person who killed her and Sokka's mom, and then this:

[Why did I spare his life?] Was it because I was too weak [to go through with taking his life], or was it because I was strong enough not to.

It was clearly trying too hard, not only to be dark and edgy*, but also to appeal/relate to the viewers who has lost a loved one, especially because of violent circumstances, as well as trying to make the characters "realistic" / "flawed" (quotes because in this case, these are ultimately buzzwords that may not mean what some people think they mean). Also, for the record, I did watch the show; all three seasons of it. I'll be honest, that one part alone--in a way--made the show feel like it was more about Katara and her personal experiences (and the "agony" [another buzzword] of her losing her mother) than about Aang and his quest to become the Avatar, which was the real problem with the show (i.e., while Aang is technically the main character, it wasn't clear who's story it really is: Aang's or Katara's).

With all this in mind, and going back to this new show, the question now is, what is going to make this next show any different? Are we to assume that this show "might" avoid the things Avatar ended up doing? That's all I'm saying. I've said this before, but being dark and edgy doesn't really make things better, nor does being realistic (necessarily).

*The Ember Island Players episode may look light-hearted, but you have to look further into it: it's a self-parody in which the players themselves are telling a story they don't really know anything about in which they try to make the characters look as stupid as possible. In other words, it may look funny, but it really isn't.

Dudley

Staff member
What studio is producing the show, I wonder. I wonder if it’s Netflix own in-house studio that’s been rumored to be existing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!
If you want an example of what truly all-ages animation is, I can't think of a better recent example than Bluey's "The Sign". I have more to say, but you'll be hearing from me again ;)
aegisrawks wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
I loved your post in that Nick thread. I really dislike Nick's mentality of "It didnt outdo the Super Bowl, CANCEL IT NAO" and I am so glad you agree, even if you are more realistic and more wise.
It seems evidently that, despite being completed, ''Walpurgisnacht Rising'' hasn't been released yet. What do you think?

Featured Posts