The "Devil's Feud Cake" Hoax?

wiley207

For a long time, it was believed that with the 1963 Looney Tunes cartoon "Devil's Feud Cake" (Friz Freleng), in the original theatrical version when Yosemite Sam arrives in Hell, Satan greets Sam with "Well, who in Hell are you?" Well, someone on a Facebook animation chat group brought up that someone he knows obtained a 35mm theatrical release print of "Devil's Feud Cake," and confirmed that in it Satan actually says to Yosemite Sam, "What the Devil is your name?" just like on TV and the HBO Max print. So it sounds like the alleged "Who in Hell are you?" line was just either a rumor or a false memory (maybe it was spoken in the "Satan's Waitin'" episode of "The Bugs Bunny Show" this cartoon was adapted from?)

Pooky

Staff member
I remember heading this rumour in the late 90s (along with a fabled "Wile E gets blasted into the sun" ending of Chaser on the Rocks, since proven false). I wouldn't say I thought there was no chance, but it always sounded unlikely to me.

wiley207

I remember heading this rumour in the late 90s (along with a fabled "Wile E gets blasted into the sun" ending of Chaser on the Rocks, since proven false)
Oh yes, I remember that one. I'm betting Wile E. getting blasted into the sun was in the original script/storyboards for "Chaser on the Rocks," but it was never animated, and whoever compiled that WB short subject release sheet for theater personnel probably looked at the original storyboards instead of the finished cartoon.

Pooky

Staff member
Yes, quite possibly, or maybe the sheet was written from the storyboards and it was assumed that it would be animated, but it was cut thanks to that late 60s Warner Bros penny pinching.

pacman000

It’s root bear & a candy cigar!
Saying "hell" in that context probably would've violated Hays Code.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!

Featured Posts