"The Death of Superman" Animated Feature Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dallas Kinard

I don't think it being in the movie continuity will prevent it from being a faithful adaption, especially since that's what they seem intent on doing with revisisting the story.

Judas Contract was actually fairly close to the original story, for the most part.

I can only hope. Still not thrilled with the art style though.

juan1193

I'm glad it's in continuity with the other films! I wonder what other superheroes are going to show up? Especially for that funeral scene. Hope we see the Teen Titans and JLD again!

TheGreatOne2

Who willing to wait longer for a proper combined death of superman and resign of the supermen movie? I am willing to wait till next year for proper combined 160 minute movie than having it in 2 seperate parts. I do not why warner bros is releasing it in 2 parts for in the first place

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Who willing to wait longer for a proper combined death of superman and resign of the supermen movie? I am willing to wait till next year for proper combined 160 minute movie than having it in 2 seperate parts. I do not why warner bros is releasing it in 2 parts for in the first place
You mean why don't they do the opposite of what they did for a past 2 part DTV The Dark Knight Returns or what they're continuing to do for CW Seed's digital series and just skip to the combined Blu-ray release? We can only hope it's a matter of strategic accounting, budgeting, marketing, and scheduling that justifies a multi-release approach.

Otaku-sempai

In addition to what Pfeiffer-Pfan posted above, check out a couple more grabs of the image from the Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay iTunes menu. Click on the thumbnails for a closer look!
I'm sorry to say that those grabs are disappointing. The art is very flat--worse than the poorest images we saw from The Killing Joke. Do we know yet who is responsible for those character designs, or what studio is providing animation services?

Frontier

Staff member
I'm sorry to say that those grabs are disappointing. The art is very flat--worse than the poorest images we saw from The Killing Joke. Do we know yet who is responsible for those character designs, or what studio is providing animation services?
I assume it would be the same as for the rest of the in-continuity DTV's - Phil Bourassa on character designs and whoever the general animation studio is for the DTV's.

Otaku-sempai

I assume it would be the same as for the rest of the in-continuity DTV's - Phil Bourassa on character designs and whoever the general animation studio is for the DTV's.
Well, based on that one screengrab, this is either far from Bourassa's best work, or the studio has done a terrible job translating it into animation. I am hoping that the image is an aberration.

Frontier

Staff member
Well, based on that one screengrab, this is either far from Bourassa's best work, or the studio has done a terrible job translating it into animation. I am hoping that the image is an aberration.
Well, I don't think one screengrab (which could very well have been grabbed from a bad angle) is necessarily going to be indicative of the animation of the entire movie (or might be, you never know).

Really, the only thing that seems different to me is that Superman's face looks softer then in past movies.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
It's hard to say at what stage of production they grabbed that still from. I don't think it's from the finished locked version. But it does continues the tradition of bad art first looks for this movie line. Choice-wise, that's an odd pick for a first still because of the way the characters are staged. Background doesn't look finished either, imo.

If it's in-canon, it's likely Phil Bourassa and the answerstudio.

Frontier

Staff member
It's hard to say at what stage of production they grabbed that still from. I don't think it's from the finished locked version. But it does continues the tradition of bad art first looks for this movie line. Choice-wise, that's an odd pick for a first still because of the way the characters are staged. Background doesn't look finished either, imo.

If it's in-canon, it's likely Phil Bourassa and the answerstudio.
Well, it does have Supes and Lois together, which I imagine will be pretty central to the story, so from that standpoint it works as a teaser image ;).

Spider-Man

Well, based on that one screengrab, this is either far from Bourassa's best work, much like how fans can be far too hard, or the studio has done a terrible job translating it into animation. I am hoping that the image is an aberration.
I find that sometimes screengrabs do a disservice to Bourassa's style. I'm hoping this is just that case. It makes sense to put this movie in the "new 52" animated continuity since its the only one with any release history in the DC DTV line if that is what they are going for. I think Frontier is right as Superman looks a little different so maybe they have given the designs a bit of a tweak maybe to make them look a little more streamlined.

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
As long as we never revisit Superman vs. the Elite level of poor, I think I'll be content. I am setting the bar really low, I know...

I was expecting this not to be in the continuity of the previous movies. Maybe it will be independent, maybe it'll be a follow-up, but I expect this to be weird. At this point, my only real hopes are that the second movie is good. I'm pretty tired of Death of Superman stories (and origin stories, and stories where he's fighting against the other heroes...).

Frontier

Staff member
I'm curious to see how they adapt Superboy in this, because I've seen theories that they might combine Kon-El/Conner from the comics with the Jon Kent Superboy from the comics.

I'm also curious to see how they develop Henshaw in this.

EmaHalJordan

I'm also a bit disappointed, I expected an independent film with Dan Jurgens style drawings, the appearance of the JLI members (Ted, Booster, Fire, Ice, Guy)

I hope I can at least see several heroes that I like in the battle with Doomsday or the Funeral.(Hal Jordan, Ray Palmer, Hawkman, Hawkwoman, Red Tornado, Firestorm, Zatanna, Martian Manhunter, Elongatedman...)

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
I'm curious to see how they adapt Superboy in this, because I've seen theories that they might combine Kon-El/Conner from the comics with the Jon Kent Superboy from the comics.

I'm also curious to see how they develop Henshaw in this.

Conner would deserve better than this. Heck, I'm not a Jon Kent fan, but I'd say his fans deserve better than that, too.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
I'm also curious to see how they handle his relationship with Wonder Woman. Will they simply downplay Lois' role in the story?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts