The DCAU Dead /Presumed Dead list (Spoilers)

Bird Boy

WF Admin
Staff member
Frank White said:
JL:TAS

I know it isn't everbody's favorite ep but how did everybody forget Aresia

If we're counting show continuity as well as comic continuity, Aresia came back in an issue of JLA. I think it sucked though, so we cna negate that. :p

-BB

Knight

Emerald Knight
Im just counting what happened in the actual show just so everyone knows.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Can't believe everyone left out Batman Beyond's Bullwhip (April Moon). Definately one of the coolest death's ever with the doctor getting ready to drill into his brain.

And Superman's grandfather's name is Sul-Van.

WonderRaver

DarkLantern said:
True, we do see her... but what if I were to tell you that was... a mistake.

DL
Hmm... to what are you alluding DarkLantern? Why would it matter if it were a mistake or not hmm? Is there any reason we should assume she's dead? Will she return as an re-animated corpse? GASP!

Seriously, what made you say what you said? I'm dying to know! (Pun intended)

-Matt

Knight

Emerald Knight
WonderRaver said:
Hmm... to what are you alluding DarkLantern? Why would it matter if it were a mistake or not hmm? Is there any reason we should assume she's dead? Will she return as an re-animated corpse? GASP!

Seriously, what made you say what you said? I'm dying to know! (Pun intended)

-Matt
By the sounds of it DL is saying we were not suppose to see her again . A storyboarding mistake? Something miscommunicated which ended up in her being animated when she wasnt supposed to be? It is Very interesting.

MvComedy

You can add Dr. Couvier (I think that's the correct spelling) of Batman Beyond to the list. He was the bad guy in Splicers who died in an explosion.

Also, the character from Rats who was obsessed with Dana might be dead, but the episode left the viewers wondering.

b.t.

The JLU Kid said:
And also, Cheetah isn't dead. We see her in the van at the end of I4A.

funny thing about that: dark lantern's right, it WAS a mistake, she WAS supposed to be dead (the implication being that grundy "did a lenny" on her)...

well, my co-producer james tucker kept saying we should bring her back, i kept sayin', "no, she's DEAD, she has ceased to be, she is an ex-cheetah", and lo and behold, someone pointed out that she was in the paddy wagon -- all in one piece, apparently still breathing -- at the end of "i4a"...d'oh!

so, james got his wish: she'll be back in JLU...don't know how she got away from grundy, tho....:confused:

now, on the subject of mistakes: the batman beyond suit in the batcave in "starcrossed" IS a mistake, and you should all just forget you ever saw it...we re-used the BATMAN BEYOND batcave bg key ('cuz we liked its purplish color scheme), but forgot to remove the costume cases...i never even noticed 'em myself until someone here at tz pointed it out...:eek:

Knight

Emerald Knight
So Cheetah comes back because she wasn't killed like she was supposed to be evident only by her appearing at the end in the truck.Grundy really screwed up didn't he. So much for her but supposed dirt nap.Lol funny. I'll update the list shortly.

As far as the costumes from Starcrossed I guess mistakes do happen. Thanks for clearing it up b.t.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Conan-san said:
Also add one death
Teen Titans
Terra
Ain't in DCAU continuity so it don't count.

And b.t. how were you able to get Bullwhip's death passed the censors? I remember in Mad Love how Joker's use of the dentist's drill was muted from the comic's version. But The doctor pushing that drill to the screen was HARDCORE!

And it's always good to have a Monty Python fan in charge of your cartoons. (See Aaron McGruder.)

Maxie Zeus

Upside Down
b.t. said:
now, on the subject of mistakes: the batman beyond suit in the batcave in "starcrossed" IS a mistake, and you should all just forget you ever saw it...

Wa-ha-ha! Sorry, that's just very funny. The kind of mistake that could inspire dozens of very bad fanfics ... :D

EDIT:

Fone Bone said:
And b.t. how were you able to get Bullwhip's death passed the censors? I remember in Mad Love how Joker's use of the dentist's drill was muted from the comic's version.

I'm not sure what you mean here. The presentation in the "Mad Love" ep was just like it was in the book, including the shot of the drill coming within an inch of Gordon's forehead. The panel of Joker advancing on Gordon and yelling "Everything will have to go" is drawn with manic intensity, which the cartoon can't easily capture, but all the original elements are there.

I agree that the final shot in "April Moon" is more intense, but I think that has to do with the implicit emotion in the scene--the feelings of hatred and vengeance being fulfilled--and our knowing that Bullwhip isn't going to escape the way Gordon is going to. But the equivalent scene in "Mad Love," despite the way it backs those of us who hate dentists up against the wall, is basically just a Joker gag ...

Zergrinch

Didn't Curare kill everybody in her former society? :D

We can add to the list of Justice League dead the Imperium, as well as his shape-shifting psionic vampire minions.

He's not physically dead, but Kragger just about got a mental lobotomy courtesy of the Martian Manhunter in "Starcrossed". Doomsday has the same treatment courtesy of Justice Lord Superman in "A Better World".

Despero is presumed dead after falling into the flames of Pytar, in "Hearts and Minds". Ditto his invading minions, who have all turned into trees.

The Green Lantern Corps and the League wiped the Manhunters from the face of the Universe in "In Blackest Night".

Orm is presumed dead after falling into an abyss inside an Arctic glacier, courtesy of Aquaman in "The Enemy Below".

Morgaine Le Fay drained a castle guard and an innocent librarian of their youth in "Knight Time". Should being turned into a skeletal shell of your former self qualify as dying? :D

A possessed special operations agent killed everyone in his unit in "Eclipsed".

wrenchien

does 'ceasing to be' count? cause all alternate, elder versions of the titans were erased created by starfire's return to the past. as well as the villian of the episode, who became a baby then was trapped in said timeline where starfire had skipped 20 years... that faded away upon her return.

i don't think all the 'funny' things about falling apart like in animes, like when starfire burned to a match in the date episode, would count as 'deaths'.. would it? cause i'm pretty sure you couldn't survive as a smouldering match with two burning eyes.. and no apparent lungs :eek:

was the puppet guy really accountable as having 'died' when the magic keeping him mobile went poof?? or does being a wooden puppet not even count as alive?

maxnugget

Avenger of evil and ignorance
randomguy said:
No, but I didn't want to be the first one to say it.

Heh. You took the words right out of my mouth.

Despero had a death scene of biblical scale... :)

The Eclipsified-soldier in "Eclipsed," when he has the gun in his hands and asks "How many mammals will this kill?"...that's one of the most disturbing lines I've heard in Justice League...in large part because of the VA's delivery.

Nick K.

b.t. said:
funny thing about that: dark lantern's right, it WAS a mistake, she WAS supposed to be dead (the implication being that grundy "did a lenny" on her)...

well, my co-producer james tucker kept saying we should bring her back, i kept sayin', "no, she's DEAD, she has ceased to be, she is an ex-cheetah", and lo and behold, someone pointed out that she was in the paddy wagon -- all in one piece, apparently still breathing -- at the end of "i4a"...d'oh!

so, james got his wish: she'll be back in JLU...don't know how she got away from grundy, tho....:confused:

now, on the subject of mistakes: the batman beyond suit in the batcave in "starcrossed" IS a mistake, and you should all just forget you ever saw it...we re-used the BATMAN BEYOND batcave bg key ('cuz we liked its purplish color scheme), but forgot to remove the costume cases...i never even noticed 'em myself until someone here at tz pointed it out...:eek:

Well, I figured it was a mistake... but hey, we've got to work with what we are given! :D

And having her back won't be such a bad thing! And we now know she'll be on JLU you spoiler! :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Maxie Zeus said:
Wa-ha-ha! Sorry, that's just very funny. The kind of mistake that could inspire dozens of very bad fanfics ... :D

EDIT:

I'm not sure what you mean here. The presentation in the "Mad Love" ep was just like it was in the book, including the shot of the drill coming within an inch of Gordon's forehead. The panel of Joker advancing on Gordon and yelling "Everything will have to go" is drawn with manic intensity, which the cartoon can't easily capture, but all the original elements are there.

I agree that the final shot in "April Moon" is more intense, but I think that has to do with the implicit emotion in the scene--the feelings of hatred and vengeance being fulfilled--and our knowing that Bullwhip isn't going to escape the way Gordon is going to. But the equivalent scene in "Mad Love," despite the way it backs those of us who hate dentists up against the wall, is basically just a Joker gag ...
No, it was played for laughs in the episode. It was coming right at you in the comic. It also didn't help that the Joker had a bad design in TNBA. His old design was WAY scarier and the scene in the comic came off as disturbing, not silly.

And yeah, April Moon's drill was more intense cause you knew Bullwhip WASN'T going to be rescued. I still want to know how that scene got by Kids' WB Standards and Practices. Kudos b.t.!

Maxie Zeus

Upside Down
Fone Bone said:
No, it was played for laughs in the episode. It was coming right at you in the comic. It also didn't help that the Joker had a bad design in TNBA. His old design was WAY scarier and the scene in the comic came off as disturbing, not silly.

Yes, it did come off more powerfully in the comic; as I said, the panel where the Joker advances on Gordon with the drill is pretty dang intense. But I think you're closer to the mark when you refer to the Joker design in TNBA. The entire episode seemed less interesting than the comic book, and I think it's because of the difference in the art forms. In comic books, it seems, you can really punch up a panel in a way that doesn't work the same as in a cartoon. But I don't really know ... Anyway, it doesn't seem to me to be a case of pressure to tone down a scene--like I said, it just seems more like a case of the cartoon not being the kind of vehicle that could capture the same degree of intensity.

Fone Bone said:
I still want to know how that scene got by Kids' WB Standards and Practices. Kudos b.t.!

It's a terrific shot, but nothing graphic happens in the scene; it's all implication, so I guess I would be surprised if it were a tough sell. Anyway, the one I'd like to know about is "Out of the Past." That is such a creepy story when you start thinking through the implications.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts