The current shows are ending

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
So yeah. This.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

MARVEL’S SPIDER-MAN SEASON TWO TO PREMIERE LATER THIS YEAR ON DISNEY XD

Additional Seasons of Marvel’s Avengers: Black Panther’s Quest and Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout to Premiere on Disney XD in 2018

GLENDALE, CA (January 24, 2018) –Disney XD and Marvel Entertainment today announced “Marvel’s Spider-Man” will be returning to the network for season two in 2018.

The second season of "Marvel's Spider-Man" follows Peter Parker in his sophomore year as a more experienced Super Hero and a more confident student at what was once the intimidating Horizon High School. Picking up where season one left off – in an epic showdown against Doc Ock, the Sinister Five, and Hobgoblin – season two will offer much higher stakes for both Peter and his heroic alter-ego, Spider-Man. He'll also learn how to navigate new responsibilities like working at his local newspaper The Daily Bugle while enduring Doc Ock's series of obstacles in the villain’s attempt to get rid of Spider-Man once and for all. The action-packed season will continue to touch on Spidey's relatable themes, including friendship, loyalty and heroism, while staying true to its signature sense of comedy. The premiere date for the series will be announced at a later date.

“Marvel’s Spider-Man” season two will join the previously announced “Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout” and “Marvel’s Avengers: Black Panther’s Quest” which will be returning to Disney XD with new seasons in 2018.

Marc Buhaj, Senior Vice President, Programming and General Manager, Disney XD, said, "We're proud of our partnership with Marvel Animation and look forward to premiering more adventure storytelling, through the lens of some of the world's most prominent Super Heroes, for years to come."

“We are tremendously proud of our animated series on Disney XD. We look forward to continuing our relationship with them including fresh new seasons of Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout, Marvel’s Avengers: Black Panther’s Quest, and Marvel’s Spider-Man which will air through 2019,” said Dan Buckley, President, Marvel Entertainment.

Buckley continued, “As we continue to produce in the animation space, we are constantly looking to expand our footprint with projects such as the highly-anticipated Marvel Rising, and a second season of Marvel Super Hero Adventures. Additionally, we are pleased with the continual growth of Marvel HQ on YouTube Kids, which features library favorites and premiere episodes of Marvel Super Hero Adventures and the Marvel Funko animated shorts, as well as upcoming original content.”

The “Marvel’s Spider-Man” season two creative team includes executive producers Alan Fine ("Marvel's The Avengers"), Joe Quesada ("Marvel's Avengers Assemble"), Dan Buckley ("Marvel's Avengers Assemble"), Cort Lane ("Marvel's Ultimate Spider-Man," “Marvel’s Avengers Assemble”), and Eric Radomski ("Spawn," "Marvel's Avengers Assemble"); co-executive producers Stan Lee ("Spider-Man") and Marsha Griffin ("Transformers Prime”); supervising producers Kevin Burke and Chris "Doc" Wyatt ("Marvel's Avengers Assemble," "Marvel's Ultimate Spider-Man"); consulting producer Dan Slott ("Spider-Man: Big Time," "The Superior Spider-Man"); and supervising director Philip Pignotti ("Marvel’s Avengers Assemble").

So let's unpack a few things. Even if these episodes were produced or ordered far in advanced, it's pretty misleading and clickbait hot garbage to just simply report the shows are "ending."

Hypothetically, maybe the shows are ending after the episode orders are finished. Well the shows got lengthy orders and the orders were fulfilled. But that doesn't mean they are ending this year.

Guardians of the Galaxy is getting a Mission Breakout season. Avengers is getting a Black Panther season. All of which will premiere later this year. Chances are, those seasons will take the shows PAST 2019 through next year. Saying they are ending means like they are ending this year right after the current seasons are over.

Once again, the internet gets it wrong about Marvel Animation and spreads FALSE misinformation.

Frontier

Staff member
So yeah. This.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet.
I don't think that necessarily works against the article.

I brought it up before that we've known about these seasons for a while now, so production would probably already be winding down on them, which the article alludes too.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
I don't think that necessarily works against the article.

I brought it up before that we've known about these seasons for a while now, so production would probably already be winding down on them, which the article alludes too.

It's bad clickbait journalism. The shows are coming to an end once they are over. It's January, and if they are running through next year, to report "Oh they are coming to an end now!" Well no. They still won't be ending for while. And even still that's not exactly final is it? Especially when you've had bloggers signaling the end of these shows before.

Frontier

Staff member
It's bad clickbait journalism. The shows are coming to an end once they are over. It's January, and if they are running through next year, to report "Oh they are coming to an end now!" Well no. They still won't be ending for while. And even still that's not exactly final is it? Especially when you've had bloggers signaling the end of these shows before.
It's an animation blog run by someone who, from what I've seen, generally has good insider information about this stuff.

The show's coming back in 2018 doesn't necessarily have any bearing on what the fate of Marvel Animation is given these might be the last things on their production slate.

Marvel Rising seems to be headlined by Marvel Television.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I think it's more a case of people online misinterpreting the news than it is the fault of the blog owner (especially since he pointed out some info may be incorrect). The shows might be ending production but that doesn't mean they'll be gone for at least another year or so.

And honestly, I think this topic has pretty much ran its course at this point. I'll leave it open, but please don't turn this into a debate or use it to accuse others of spreading misinformation going forward.

Takao

Fight the darkness all around
Steve's report of Marvel laying people off would suggest more than just the typical cool down in-between productions. Usually contractors would just not have their agreements renewed.

SeriousKrendel

To be fair, that blog did say: "Crew members say that much MA work will be completed in the next few months." We know it takes a long time to animate, so it's possible season 2 has already been in the works for some time.

Dudley

Staff member
Steve Hullet was always referring to the state of the show’s production, not when the show will have its final episode on TV. I guess that was never clear to some people who read his blog, based off the comments in that post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
It's a bad way of communicating and writing and getting your point across.

Soon, Disney will be launching its own streaming TV service. One imagines Marvel content would be a part of it. Not sure if they plan on producing new content for the service, but one would imagine, it'd be nice to get a backlog of all the animated Marvel products on there.

For example, if fans want to watch any episode, any season of X-Men TAS, that should be on there. Evolution, Avengers: EMH, Avengers Assemble, Ultimate Spider-Man, Spider-Man TAS, heck United They Stand. The entire Marvel animated archive should be in there from the 60s to today.

But Marvel will need animated content because kids aren't reading comics anymore, since most superhero comics these days aren't appropriate for new and young readers, and there needs to be a gateway into the Marvel Universe for them, and that's the purpose the cartoons serve.

Dudley

Staff member
I agree that the SVOD service should have every Marvel show, and I also agree new content should be made. But the question now is, if Marvel Animation is ending production on shows and is laying people off, who will air make these shows now? Marvel Television? Film Roman? Some other studio?
I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

Frontier

Staff member
It's a bad way of communicating and writing and getting your point across.

Soon, Disney will be launching its own streaming TV service. One imagines Marvel content would be a part of it. Not sure if they plan on producing new content for the service, but one would imagine, it'd be nice to get a backlog of all the animated Marvel products on there.

For example, if fans want to watch any episode, any season of X-Men TAS, that should be on there. Evolution, Avengers: EMH, Avengers Assemble, Ultimate Spider-Man, Spider-Man TAS, heck United They Stand. The entire Marvel animated archive should be in there from the 60s to today.

But Marvel will need animated content because kids aren't reading comics anymore, since most superhero comics these days aren't appropriate for new and young readers, and there needs to be a gateway into the Marvel Universe for them, and that's the purpose the cartoons serve.
I think they've confirmed there will be some original Marvel shows on the service, though as to whether they'll move the cartoons to the service...well, that would kind of lead Disney XD a little bereft of content, especially with some of their other hallmark shows like Star Wars: Rebels already ending.

I'm not sure I see Marvel releasing any of their past X-Men or FF cartoons on a service or just in general unless the Disney/Fox deal is confirmed.

Would they have access to Spectacular Spider-Man and the 90's cartoon? I was under the impression there might be rights issues regarding those shows that would prevent Marvel from releasing them either on DVD or on a streaming service.

I actually feel like the rights issues with a lot of the cartoons might be an issue if they wanted to release their entire backlog of shows on a service beyond the current cartoons, which they're already releasing on Marvel HQ.
I agree that the SVOD service should have every Marvel show, and I also agree new content should be made. But the question now is, if Marvel Animation is ending production on shows and is laying people off, who will air make these shows now? Marvel Television? Film Roman? Some other studio?
I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

I wonder if Marvel Television headlining Marvel Rising is an indication of the future for the Marvel cartoons or Marvel animation as a whole?

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Sony has Spectacular (I think it's still currently available for free on Crackle) and the MTV series but Marvel has control over all of the other Spider-Man series. Sony probably also has control of the Marvel Anime series and movies as well. They're always rotating on and off Crackle. The 90s show was only pulled from Hulu a few months ago (alongside Armored Adventures, X-Men TAS, Super Hero Squad and X-Men Evolution).

I think it's fair to wager that Marvel has control over any show you can purchase from them on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/user/MARVELTVONDEMAND

Just going by what's listed on the premium videos on YouTube, these are the distributors for a lot of the animated stuff.

ABC: Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends, Incredible Hulk 1982, X-Men, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Iron Man, Incredible Hulk 1996, Spider-Man Unlimited, Avengers: United They Stand, X-Men Evolution, Fantastic Four: World's Greatest Heroes, Wolverine and the X-Men, Super Hero Squad Show, Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Ultimate Spider-Man, Avengers Assemble, Hulk and the Agents of SMASH, Guardians of the Galaxy, Marvel's Spider-Man

Sony Pictures: Spider-Man: The New Animated Series, Spectacular Spider-Man, Iron Man Anime, Wolverine Anime, X-Men Anime, Blade Anime, Iron Man: Rise of Technovore, Avengers Confidential: Black Widow & Punisher

Lionsgate: Ultimate Avengers I & II, Invincible Iron Man, Doctor Strange, Next Avengers, Hulk VS, Planet Hulk, Thor: Tales of Asgard

Disney: Iron Man/Hulk: Heroes United, Iron Man/Captain America: Heroes United, Marvel Super Hero Adventures: Frost Fight, Hulk: Where Monsters Dwell

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Last edited:

McMax

I'm not going to miss Marvel's shows because they are not very good at all and it's not surprising that the very worst of them, this new Spider-Man is staying around.

Capt.Traphouse

Sexiest Thing Since Sex
I'm not going to miss Marvel's shows because they are not very good at all and it's not surprising that the very worst of them, this new Spider-Man is staying around.
You need to watch season 1 of AA or USM to see the worst.

bigdaddy313

Just a quick update on the status of Marvel Animations.

"I'm told that Marvel Animation, Glendale has a lot of things on hold because they will be streaming many/most of its shows in the future and is now reviewing what it intends to do, production-wise. (Understand that this is scuttlebutt, and NOT established fact.)"

An answer to another question of mine.

Frontier

Staff member
Just a quick update on the status of Marvel Animations.

"I'm told that Marvel Animation, Glendale has a lot of things on hold because they will be streaming many/most of its shows in the future and is now reviewing what it intends to do, production-wise. (Understand that this is scuttlebutt, and NOT established fact.)"

An answer to another question of mine.
Well, scuttlebutt or not, it does possibly lend credence to the theory that the Marvel cartoons might be moving to the Disney streaming service.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts