The current shows are ending

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
More like give people reasons to reject it. Everyday is more difficult for regular people to save money, as the salaries are lower and many youngers (including me) have problems finding or keeping a job. If they have to start to pay money for something that was "relatively" free before, they will surely reject it to keep the money for more important stuff, like food or something else.
^^This.

Capt.Traphouse

Sexiest Thing Since Sex
I'll be looking forward to whatever Marvel shows arise. There will be something Spiderman related I will eat up.

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
I'll be looking forward to whatever Marvel shows arise. There will be something Spiderman related I will eat up.
Here's to hoping we get a Spiderman anthology series focusing on different Spidermen(Miles, Agent Venom, Anti Venom, Kaine, Mania, etc) with good writing GOOD ANIMATION/BACKGROUNDS/FIGHT SCENES
Streaming services are pretty cheap compared to cable, dvds or downloads. Everybody has some kind of access to the net anyway.
Also you can be like me and either wait for the seasons to be finished or just binge watch

Frontier

Staff member
I think it's interesting that, in the article, he lists "ending" and "hiatus" for the Marvel cartoons together.

The former implies a clear cut ending while the latter implies, to me at least, some kind of revamp or production change that requires the show taking a "break."

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I'll wait until there's some kind of official announcement (or lack of any news about possible renewals), but even if the shows are ending, I think there;s still enough content left to air this year.

Honestly out of the 3 current shows, as much as I enjoy it, I could see Guardians the most likely to end. After a season based on a theme park ride, I don't know what else they could do with these characters.

Avengers has the slight advantage of being able to rebrand itself every couple of seasons for more synergy with the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Still, 130 episodes is a good number to end the show with. It puts it on par with cartoons from the 80s like He-Man.

Spider-Man has started relatively recently and while it does seem able to cover a lot of stories throughout its run, it still feels kind of early to end it. Admittedly, I don't know what the next season has in store, but hopefully there won't be some type of cliffhanger ending (I doubt it, since the seasons for these shows are fairly self-contained).

PapaGreg

One thing I'm not going to miss about the new Spiderman if it ends is how the series forces "science" down the audience throats and this is coming from a STEM major. We get it he's smart and the school is smart you don't have to have Peter scientifically describe brain freeze or have Harry create an ice based WMD

Capt.Traphouse

Sexiest Thing Since Sex
One thing I'm not going to miss about the new Spiderman if it ends is how the series forces "science" down the audience throats and this is coming from a STEM major. We get it he's smart and the school is smart you don't have to have Peter scientifically describe brain freeze or have Harry create an ice based WMD
Sir it is SCIENCE. Respect SCIENCE.

Joe Wagner

The one, true Scarlet Spider!
Food for thought, but I've seen a suggestion that Disney/Marvel might possibly be ending all it's cartoons in order to move them to one of the streaming services Disney now owns (either Hulu or their own original service).

I truly hope that is not the case. The success of Netflix and, to a lesser extent, Hulu have created a marketplace where every company seems to think that they can just create their own service and wait for the profits to roll in. The issue is that the existing services created their wealth by offering a variety of content. CBS has already jumped in with their rapidly failing All Access app, DC comics is next and Disney looks to be right behind. If every studio/TV station/production group has an app where you can only access their content, I think you could see people moving back to services similar to cable, where they get content from a broad spectrum of services and studios. Disney has also refused to release many of their original series on DVD or Blu-Ray stateside, creating another barrier to access. For cartoons in particular, we've often heard of the toy lines playing a critical role in determining whether to continue or end a series. Creating even more limited audiences seems to be the opposite of what should be happening.

Last edited:

PapaGreg

Sir it is SCIENCE. Respect SCIENCE.
I mean but at least make the pro science stuff subtle don't beat us on the head with it. Jimmy Neutron, Dexter,Senkuu, and the whole cast of Big Hero Six are asking him to take it down a notch

thisguyisnotcool

Some weird news. But eh GOTG and AA have had decent runs. Spider-Man is in a strange spot. A Homecoming sequel comes out next year. Maybe they'll drag out the possible second season? Hate to see the layoffs. I really do wonder of Marvel Animation will even stick around after a few years. Maybe they'll just outsource their stuff? Maybe that's not too bad. Who would be interested in seeing the X-men done by studio Mir?

Frontier

Staff member
Some weird news. But eh GOTG and AA have had decent runs. Spider-Man is in a strange spot. A Homecoming sequel comes out next year. Maybe they'll drag out the possible second season? Hate to see the layoffs. I really do wonder of Marvel Animation will even stick around after a few years. Maybe they'll just outsource their stuff? Maybe that's not too bad. Who would be interested in seeing the X-men done by studio Mir?
Or they could always go back to Film Roman ;).

(But I would totally love Studio Mir on a Marvel cartoon :D).

Matt Parker

How sure are we that these shows are ending? I'll actually be really bummed it Spider-Man ends. It's been a really solid take and I've enjoyed it immensely. Plus, its insane that the only recent Spider-Man show (post 2000) that was allowed an end is Ultimate, which is agreed to be the weakest by most folks.

Dustellar

Oh God yes! finally, now my dream is this...
-An Avenger series with Avengers, Cap, Thor, Iron Man, Hulk, Ant-Man, etc villains and stories with some of Doctor Strange, Kree and Guardians.
-An X-Men series with X-Men, Wolverine, etc villains and stories with some of the Shi'ar, Brood, Savage Land, Starjammers, Deadpool and even Doctor Strange if you have some Magik and Juggernaut.
-A Fantastic Four series with Fantastic Four villains and stories with some Namor, Galactus, Silver Surfer, Skrulls, Uatu, Negative Zone and Inhumans.
-An Spider-Man series with all the Spidey villains and stories with some of Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Jessica Jones and all the Spider related heroes.

All you need for a good Animated Universe are only 4 series, good writers and someone good as the head so you don't have inconsistencies between them! just do it Marvel! also... I hope they are more based on comics, but I know we will see synergy with characters like Fury or The Guardians of the Galaxy, but I don't mind that.

Capt.Traphouse

Sexiest Thing Since Sex
I'm going to miss having a Black Widow that can punch out Absorbing Man and Princess Zarda. That's one unique thing to this universe.

Last edited:

Barbossa

See, I thought Ultimate Spider-Man ended to make the new show more like the MCU Spider-Man.

MCU Spiderman actually acts like a normal teenager and actually has crushes and feelings for girls.

Can Loeb and the current creative force behind the current Marvel Animation be the first out of the door please. We need a new creative team that is not afraid of romance , female characters, or have an obsession with movie synergy. We don't want an Xmen show where Scott and Jean are science buddies and nothing more, because cartoon romance has never been done and is bad for kids :confused:

Frontier

Staff member
Can Loeb and the current creative force behind the current Marvel Animation be the first out of the door please. We need a new creative team that is not afraid of romance , female characters, or have an obsession with movie synergy. We don't want an Xmen show where Scott and Jean are science buddies and nothing more, because cartoon romance has never been done and is bad for kids :confused:
I'm just imagining them trying to adapt the Phoenix Saga and trying to keep the relationship between Scott and Jean as platonic as possible, which would go against the entire emotional core of the story :rolleyes:.

Last edited:

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Just a random thought, but remember Fantastic Four: World's Greatest Heroes? I'm pretty sure Jeph Loeb wasn't involved with that show and it was made before he was put in charge, yet never really had any romance either. There was the occasional Ben and Alicia moment, and Johnny going on dates, but the most romance between Reed and Sue was probably in the Namor episode (where he seemed more interested in Sue).

Frontier

Staff member
Just a random thought, but remember Fantastic Four: World's Greatest Heroes? I'm pretty sure Jeph Loeb wasn't involved with that show and it was made before he was put in charge, yet never really had any romance either. There was the occasional Ben and Alicia moment, and Johnny going on dates, but the most romance between Reed and Sue was probably in the Namor episode (where he seemed more interested in Sue).
What I remember about Reed and Sue's relationship on that show was that it was very low-key and subtle, with the occasional moment of care shown between them or Reed putting his arms around her, but that was about it :sweat:.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
They tried to be really light about romance on the shows preceding Ultimate Spider-Man, outside of maybe Wolverine and the X-Men which had its triangles and such. That show had its subtle romances as well (Angel/Storm, Iceman/Kitty). Even Earth's Mightiest Heroes only ever showed Hawkeye and Widow kiss in silhouette, never took the Hank and Jan relationship all the way, and blatantly killed off Thor and Jane's fling (after Man of Action took over). It's probably been the policy to try to downplay romance in the kids shows for a long time but they handled it well. The Spider-Man shows are where it becomes kind of obnoxiously obvious what they're doing since that's always been a big part of Peter's life, from the comics to the movies. It really all depends on how the people behind the show execute it all as to whether it will be that noticeable or not. USM made it a point to mock the fan favorite Peter/MJ relationship during the first episode, and also really downplayed Peter's personal life and made it look mundane.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.

Featured Posts