The current shows are ending

jaylop97

Staff member
In that same link, it says that crew members are being laid off, sounds like production on these shows probably been the reason for some of these results.

Frontier

Staff member
I don't know how reliable this is.

I know one of the writers for Marvel's Spider-Man mentioning plans for season 2, though I guess that could very well be the last season.

I can at least buy Guardians ending given it'll have ran for 3 seasons by now and there won't be a new Guardians movie for the foreseeable future, so there's less incentive to keep it going.

We already know Avengers: Secret Wars will be ending to make way for "Black Panther's Quest," unless that's supposed to be the last proper season for the show.

I mean, if this is true, I'm wondering if Disney XD or Disney is going for a revamped animation line from Marvel, so that's why they're ending all the currently running cartoons?

Then again, they say "hiatus," so I'm wondering if they're just taking a break for those shows because of production issues?

There's also the ongoing Fox deal and what that might mean for the X-Men and FF, who have been in limbo as far as animation is concerned. Could we be seeing some restructuring going on?

I'm also wondering where Marvel Rising fits into all this.

TheLemsterPju

I'm just hoping now more mature and sophisticated Marvel cartoons for older audiences take their place.

The GotG cartoon dealt with psychological abuse and literally had a scene where Peter Quill was about to knife his dad in anger. Marvel's Spider-Man had a daughter murder her father, and it's not just dark moments like that. Many of the characters in each show have moments of reflection and weaknesses that are dwelled on to a degree, and also friendships that are developed over the course of each series.

I'm not sure what you were expecting, unless that isn't "grim" or "gritty" enough for some reason.

Last edited:

Capt.Traphouse

Sexiest Thing Since Sex
Wouldn't surprise me, A:EMH was cancelled due to a change in business logic, getting the X-Men and FF back is huge.

TheLemsterPju

There's also the ongoing Fox deal and what that might mean for the X-Men and FF, who have been in limbo as far as animation is concerned. Could we be seeing some restructuring going on?

That's exactly what I think is going on. I think Marvel Animation doesn't want to get burnt out on the same three franchises (Avengers, Spider-Man and Guardians) and wants to expand with the X-Men and Fantastic Four as a different change of pace.

Also, I noticed the link mentioned something about Superjail still being in production. :D

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Wouldn't surprise me, A:EMH was cancelled due to a change in business logic, getting the X-Men and FF back is huge.
Bingo. If this is true, it's almost certainly a corporate decision to regroup upon getting the Fantastic Four and the X-Men back. I personally don't think they need to either cancel or reboot all three shows to work those characters in either through those shows or their own shows, but I understand the mandate to want to start over from scratch with everything at once.

Frontier

Staff member
That's exactly what I think is going on. I think Marvel Animation doesn't want to get burnt out on the same three franchises (Avengers, Spider-Man and Guardians) and wants to expand with the X-Men and Fantastic Four as a different change of pace.
I don't know if it's so much that compared to the fact that they're now actually being allowed to use those characters again if the embargoes are finally being lifted.

I would still be really surprised if they're ending Marvel's Spider-Man. It's barely just started and I'd just find it odd to see Marvel Animation just end a Spider-Man cartoon so early without any outside reason, since Assemble and Guardians ending seems more sensible with how long they've been allowed to run.

But I guess, as Capt. Traphouse mentioned, they ended Earth's Mightiest Heroes early to facilitate a change in direction, so I guess that could be the case here.

Frontier

Staff member
The opposite of Marvel related but R.I.P Justice League Action.:(
The fact that that show isn't getting at least a second season is an injustice if ever I saw one :(.

I'm also kind of bummed at the idea that we finally get a more traditional Spider-Man cartoon and it's canceled even quicker then Spectacular was :sad:.

KombatMaster94

The fact that that show isn't getting at least a second season is an injustice if ever I saw one :(.

I'm also kind of bummed at the idea that we finally get a more traditional Spider-Man cartoon and it's canceled even quicker then Spectacular was :sad:.

Spider-Man 2017 would have 52 episodes if it got cancelled after season 2, and Spectacular had 24. In general, action cartoons have been in pretty bad shape this decade (especially Marvel Animation) so hopefully we'll get shows on par with The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes and Young Justice soon.

Frontier

Staff member
I guess a possible silver lining here is the potential that, with a revamped Marvel Animation, we might see the animation quality improve :).

Toons Fan

Spider-Man 2017 would have 52 episodes if it got cancelled after season 2, and Spectacular had 24. In general, action cartoons have been in pretty bad shape this decade (especially Marvel Animation) so hopefully we'll get shows on par with The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes and Young Justice soon.

The Spectacular Spider-Man had 26 episodes not 24.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Joe Wagner

The one, true Scarlet Spider!
If true, this is very disappointing. The marketing for "Marvel's Spider-Man" has seemed very disjointed and many stores have limited to no animated product. The same goes for the Avengers and GotG series. Considering the quick cancellation of Spidey, it makes me wonder if something huge comes out of Infinity War that they want to try and tie into, or if they truly have no idea how to produce a unified Marvel Animated Universe that would allow for various series to interact and grow.

brodie999

If true, this is very disappointing. The marketing for "Marvel's Spider-Man" has seemed very disjointed and many stores have limited to no animated product. The same goes for the Avengers and GotG series. Considering the quick cancellation of Spidey, it makes me wonder if something huge comes out of Infinity War that they want to try and tie into, or if they truly have no idea how to produce a unified Marvel Animated Universe that would allow for various series to interact and grow.
Yeah, I agree. Hopefully, if Craig Kyle is elected Marvel Animation president(which is obviously happening because of the shows being cancelled and all the layoffs that are happening), he'll make a much better united MAU in EMH and WATXM when he brings them back.
https://www.change.org/p/netflix-revive-avengers-earth-s-mightiest-heroes-on-netflix/u/22186891

Frontier

Staff member
I don't think the lack of cohesion with the Marvel cartoons is necessarily the problem (aside from when they try and claim there's some kind of cohesive continuity going on), although I have heard that there isn't any Marvel's Spider-Man merchandise available here in the US...which probably didn't help the show at all :ack:.

Joe Wagner

The one, true Scarlet Spider!
Yeah, I agree. Hopefully, if Craig Kyle is elected Marvel Animation president(which is obviously happening because of the shows being cancelled and all the layoffs that are happening), he'll make a much better united MAU in EMH and WATXM when he brings them back.
https://www.change.org/p/netflix-revive-avengers-earth-s-mightiest-heroes-on-netflix/u/22186891

As much as I enjoyed EMH, I would love to see them create a more stylized universe in the same style as either Spectacular Spider-Man or the DCAU. Both would allow for easier animation while also appealing to kids. Taking a more focused approach to story telling would likely lead to a product that could aim at the pre-teen and teen markets, which was the original intent of Disney XD.

I don't think the lack of cohesion with the Marvel cartoons is necessarily the problem (aside from when they try and claim there's some kind of cohesive continuity going on), although I have heard that there isn't any Marvel's Spider-Man merchandise available here in the US...which probably didn't help the show at all :ack:.

Aside from some of the licensed products, actual Marvel Spider-Man merchandise has been largely limited to recycling the previous Ultimate figures on new cards. With the exception of some Asian market figures and the Mini Metal figures, most of the newer costumes have been absent from the marketplace. Add to most stores being inundated with Homecoming merchandise still, and it seems like Disney couldn't be bothered to properly support the series.

Dudley

Staff member
Man, for once I hope Hullet is wrong. This Spider-Man cartoon is really nice, and I’d hate that it would end so soon.

Also, I don’t think this big change is because of obtaining the rights to F4 and X-Men. The Disney-Fox deal has not been finalized, and might not at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
I'll wait until we get more confirmation to really comment, but at least Assemble and GotG had good runs; Spider-Man still feels so young, though.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts