"The Batman" Live-Action Feature Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
It would finally be nice to have an unknown as Batman instead of a name who is wrong for the role. I think Bale and Affleck did decent Bruce Waynes but their Batmans sucked and Keaton, Kilmer, and Clooney sucked in both parts of the role.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Kind of sad that the idea of two DC movies in one year is shaky at best :sweat:.
Also sad it's pretty much not official until someone on Twitter starts posting set photos from filming. Still, it was like a 8 or 9 year gap between Batman & Robin and Batman Begins. Dark Knight Rises was 2012. So the next solo series of movies starting in the early 2020s isn't too far off.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Geez, how hard is it to come up with a decent movie script? With an outline, a decent writer can come up with one in a couple of weeks.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
To be fair, with Batman especially, they'll want to be careful, not to mention we don't know if the Affleck casting drama is affecting the script, or if the Cinematic Universe being in flux is. I wouldn't be surprised if, as things shift for the universe, the script shifts too.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
To be fair, with Batman especially, they'll want to be careful, not to mention we don't know if the Affleck casting drama is affecting the script, or if the Cinematic Universe being in flux is. I wouldn't be surprised if, as things shift for the universe, the script shifts too.
This should not be the drama they are making it out to be. If they really have no clue where to place the script in the universe or the casting, nobody would blame them for waiting until they did. Instead rewrite after rewrite just gives off the impression that they don't believe in the property or anything their major guys have worked on so far.

As much (deserved) smack as I talk about Joss Whedon, if he was scripting it, it would be done already. This is getting ridiculous.

This is why DC needs to stop announcing movies before they are actually greenlit or put into production. The amount of movies DC proudly trumpets only to cancel a few months later has become a pathetic joke. When Marvel announces a movie, I see it in theaters in two or three years later. With DC, I never do, at least since the actual releases are rare compared to the announcements for new movies. It's enough to me you cynical, and this particular error of DC's is entirely unforced. They do NOT need to be doing this to their credibility. They choose to, to nobody's benefit. It's frustrating.

Edit:

It is NOT hard to write a Batman script. Comic book writers do it every month.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
I think it's pretty clear to both companies that it's a major sign of weakness and of failure to totally give up and call down a failure of a project even if it's just in the middle of pre pre... PRE production. Thus why you will hear a lot of ideas be brought up but even if they aren't going to happen, you won't hear them necessarily cancel or outright close the projects down just to appear like they are still happening and that the company hasn't wasted money on a project that will see the light of day. I mean the Green Lantern and Cyborg movies despite them OBVIOUSLY NOT HAPPENING WITHIN THE TIMEFRAME PRESENTED of 2020 have still not been cancelled or dismissed. Since to Warner Brothers even after all the DCEU failures saying those movies will not happen and all the work gone into them is nill (granted the GL Corps movie may happen but the Cyborg movie surely isn't) would be much more a black mark then just keeping the idea around even if nothing is done with them. Thus I get why we still have reports of this Batman movie's script being made especially since Batman is still a very powerful and profitable marketable brand for DC. I think for the first time since... the Tim Burton movies though it is no longer DC's top priority in terms of film (and neither is Superman so... that likely is the FIRST TIME that has EVER HAPPENED for DC) so it is something they can more reasonably delay but it will likely happen and yeah likely has to be majorly retooled as it will happen after Wonder Woman 1984 which looks to totally reboot the DCEU and get rid of a lot of what didn't work. Thus this will be a much different Batman then the Affleck variation (.... both the BvS and Justice League movie variations) that they want to nail down but also probably want to get out probably in 2021 so yeah if they have a script 2019 can be spent getting things ready for full pre production and then 2020 can actually start the filming.

Which isn't to say I'm in disagreement with Fone Bone on how ridiculous and silly this is on DC's part. As yeah I am also really tired of WB announcing projects and scripts when they have a TERRIBLE track record at this point of actually making movies. And you know it's not just them as Sony and Fox have also had all these projects they've announced which a lot of the time went nowhere. And this is not a new problem either: This has been something since the early 80's where the Donner Superman flicks proved super hero films could be done on this massive scale and make a huge profit. So there's been lots of cancelled projects that have not seen the light of day. However WB/DC had the capital to actually make those kind of movies while Marvel didn't thus why for decades Marvel movies were either incredibly low budgeted crap shoots or were made by Marvel having to give up the rights to their characters to other studio. That changed once Marvel actually got money and got the MCU forming and though there have been talks of scripts or of stories being made of characters we haven't seen much come of they were never given huge annoucements or fanfare like DC does whenever there's news on one of their properties supposedly coming out. Because yeah when Marvel ANNOUNCES something it happens. The only exception technically was Inhumans which was only announced because then president of the MCU Ike Perlmutter wanted it when no one didn't and even that wound up getting some technical "theater" premiere. Which is why when Marvel says "we're making Eternals and Shang Chi" I actually know those films are going to happen. Stuff like this... well again it is Batman so it will likely happen but with how many delays and other issues have affected even this script it's hard to know when and really hard to care when DC just makes news talking about writers. Like I said about Gambit either actually SHOW you're in production of the movie or just shut up about it at this point, so if they continue talking without anything to back it up I think we're in the right to call them out on that.

Frontier

Staff member
That just means they have no good ideas and no good writers. That isn't comforting.
I mean, Matt Reeves is spearheading the script so I really doubt that's the case, but considering how much of a tentpole Batman is and how they bungled Superman (on-top of the possible production issues) I don't think it's a bad thing that they're taking their time with this.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Another article about the movie - younger version of Batman, Jack O'Connell is still a rumor as he's never met with the studio, could be pushed back to 2022, Penguin, Black Mask replaces his role in Birds of Prey, Penguin is one of a few villains that will appear, Reeves envisions movie as first of a series of.

Frontier

Staff member
Another article about the movie - younger version of Batman, Jack O'Connell is still a rumor as he's never met with the studio, could be pushed back to 2022, Penguin, Black Mask replaces his role in Birds of Prey, Penguin is one of a few villains that will appear, Reeves envisions movie as first of a series of.
A younger Batman at least seems pretty plausible by this point :ack:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts