"Avengers Endgame" Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
And the Russos teased formerly known as Part 2
We wanted the movie to be very different and distinctive, you know. There’s certainly cross-pollination between characters and some story-arcs, but you know, the first movie is very clearly Avengers: Infinity War and, in time, we will reveal what the second film is. You’ll learn that, but not for quite some time.
(once that title is known will start a new thread).

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Well, that's an interesting tidbit. It seems to further the (maybe obvious?) rumor that the second film is when all the backup is called. For all we know, Scott Lang may not be in part 1 either.

EDIT: LOL, scratch that. I just realized that, most likely, Scott would be the one to call her for backup.

Greg91

Reporter
I think something simple like The Defenders fight alongside Spidey in Hell's Kitchen would work.
That might be a good way to bring back Spider-Man too, since Tom Holland revealed that an appearance in the next Avengers movie(s) isn't guaranteed yet. Sony and Marvel Studios are still talking it out behind the scenes. In case, Spidey can't appear in the Daredevil TV series, this might be the next best way for the two to meet. Daredevil in a Spider-Man movie would probably led to the same issue the other TV characters have had unless they figure it out with this Avengers movie.

RoryWilliams

I could see them killing some Avengers. Aside from contracts possibly being up, they now have a whole bunch of new characters who could be perfect fits as Avengers for Phase 4 (Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Doctor Strange, Ant-Man & The Wasp, Valkyrie ect.) and unless they have a team of like 13 Avengers, someone is probably gonna have to go.

My guess? The second Infinity War movie is gonna end with Thanos defeated but with some heroes dead or retired, leaving a new team of Avengers to take their place. The Russos had already said the movie will close the door on some of the old MCU.

Frontier

Staff member
It's going to be interesting to see what they do here because they seem to be now treating Infinity War as a completely standalone movie in relation to the fourth Avengers movie, so does that mean Thanos attacking Earth, getting the Stones, forming the Infinity Gauntlet, fighting The Avengers, the Guardians and Avengers teaming-up, Carol Danvers showing up, and the team ultimately reuniting again will all take place in one movie o_O?

I was supportive of making it a two-parter precisely because it all seemed too big to properly contain in one movie, but it seems Marvel Studios has other plans :shrug:.

I do wonder how much of the old guard we'll see move past the end of Infinity War. Obviously it would be sad to see them go, either through death or permanent retirement, but with the actors getting older, contracts on the verge of ending, and the actors also likely wanting new opportunities for themselves, I can see why it would happen. Though I also wonder, if the actors are still willing to do the roles, if we'll see them continue going forward, if only in a more limited and smaller capacity?

It would be weird to see The Avengers without Captain America, and Evans has expressed interest in continuing the role past his contract. But this could be an opportunity for a new Captain America...

Tony could still show up in Spider-Man movies, if that's the direction Marvel Studios wants to go with the character and he survives Infinity War. Though a part of me feels like Peter will move on from Tony and become more independent fairly quickly.

I feel like there's still so much they could do with Thor in the movies, but we'll have to see what happens in Ragnarok and Infinity War.

Ruffalo would probably be pretty easy to keep as Hulk, if he's willing, especially since his role is a lot less physical compared to the other Avengers actors.

Scarlet has talked about the end of her contract coming up, while people are still clamoring for a Black Widow solo, so we'll just have to see how that goes.

I'm not quite sure what they'll do with Hawkeye, and how much Jeremy Renner is still willing to do with the character, but it would be nice to see him still be The Avengers mainstay he is in the comics :).

The Civil War fight was non-lethal save for War Machine's wounds which were accidental. A battle against a power-hungry alien from space would be way irresponsible and would undo Tony's character development after Miriam Sharpe told him her son died during the Avengers' last huge battle.
True, though Spidey also got injured taking down Giant-Man, which is when Tony likely realized bringing him there was a bad idea nad then promptly benched him :ack:.

Plus in the original Infinity Gauntlet comic, I'm pretty sure Spider-Man wasn't a teenager. ;) From our point of view, someone as popular as Spider-Man should be in the battle against Thanos. But in the universe itself, he's still a kid. Tony Stark: Sorry kid. You stay on defense with other heroes. The Avengers will take care of the big guy!
And it wouldn't be Spider-Man if he listened and didn't get involved ;).

Last edited:

RoryWilliams

I think people are misinterpreting what they mean when the Russos said it's two distinct movies. I'm sure both films will have Thanos as the villain, they just aren't gonna be one story stretched out over two movies. That's a tactic that's been increasingly criticized (see the disastrous reception to the Divergent finale) so they want to ensure that both parts stand on their own as two complete films.

Greg91

Reporter
It's going to be interesting to see what they do here because they seem to be now treating Infinity War as a completely standalone movie in relation to the fourth Avengers movie, so does that mean Thanos attacking Earth, getting the Stones, forming the Infinity Gauntlet, fighting The Avengers, the Guardians and Avengers teaming-up, Carol Danvers showing up, and the team ultimately reuniting again will all take place in one movie o_O?

I was supportive of making it a two-parter precisely because it all seemed too big to properly contain in one movie, but it seems Marvel Studios has other plans :shrug:.
They can split all of that into both movies, but in a way that doesn't come off like 'to be continued'. I don't care for two-part movies. It feels like 'we didn't finish the story, so you can pay more money to watch the next one' instead of being so epic it needs two movies to tell its story. The upcoming Justice League movies are no longer part 1 and 2 as well. So I'm glad they realize people don't seem to be fans of two-part movies.
It would be weird to see The Avengers without Captain America, and Evans has expressed interest in continuing the role past his contract. But this could be an opportunity for a new Captain America...
I'm not ready for a new Cap but we'll see. I just can't see Bucky as Cap right now.
Tony could still show up in Spider-Man movies, if that's the direction Marvel Studios wants to go with the character and he survives Infinity War. Though a part of me feels like Peter will move on from Tony and become more independent fairly quickly.
I hope the next Spider-Man movies don't have Tony in them. He doesn't need to be there all the time, so I hope you're right.
I feel like there's still so much they could do with Thor in the movies, but we'll have to see what happens in Ragnarok and Infinity War.
They have a lot of lore and characters they could still cover like Enchantress, Ulik, Balder, Beta Ray Bill, etc. so we'll see what happens. I could've imagined them thinking about Jane Foster Thor but the situation with Natalie Portman makes it awkward unless they just recast. I still want more adventures with the original Thor anyway.
Ruffalo would probably be pretty easy to keep as Hulk, if he's willing, especially since his role is a lot less physical compared to the other Avengers actors.
Yeah, I'm still wait for The Incredible Hulk 2 with the Leader.
Scarlet has talked about the end of her contract coming up, while people are still clamoring for a Black Widow solo, so we'll just have to see how that goes.
I'm also still waiting for a Black Widow movie. Let's go Marvel. Don't let me (and other fans who want it) down.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
They can split all of that into both movies, but in a way that doesn't come off like 'to be continued'. I don't care for two-part movies. It feels like 'we didn't finish the story, so you can pay more money to watch the next one' instead of being so epic it needs two movies to tell its story. The upcoming Justice League movies are no longer part 1 and 2 as well. So I'm glad they realize people don't seem to be fans of two-part movies.
I think if it's done right, they can tell two different movies but still have the most of the Avengers lose in Infinity War and have a definitive ending not a cliffhanger. It would be a pity if they didn't play with a "Where are the Avengers?" through line for a year since there's only the Ant-Man and Wasp and Captain Marvel movie between the two Avengers movies. No one on Earth knows what happened to them, the other heroes try to pick up the slack, allow for some power plays, etc. -- (but this would be in the back drop not a main plot in Ant-Man and Wasp and Captain Marvel i.e. a news clip or newspaper or mention). Could also make for a soft tie-in arc on AOS if it's still around.

RoryWilliams

I think if it's done right, they can tell two different movies but still have the most of the Avengers lose in Infinity War and have a definitive ending not a cliffhanger. It would be a pity if they didn't play with a "Where are the Avengers?" through line for a year since there's only the Ant-Man and Wasp and Captain Marvel movie between the two Avengers movies. No one on Earth knows what happened to them, the other heroes try to pick up the slack, allow for some power plays, etc. -- (but this would be in the back drop not a main plot in Ant-Man and Wasp and Captain Marvel i.e. a news clip or newspaper or mention). Could also make for a soft tie-in arc on AOS if it's still around.

That's basically what I'm expecting. That's the other unique thing about the MCU: when a movie like The Hobbit or Divergent or Harry Potter VII ends on a cliffhanger for Part 2, there's really no issue, since the universe essentially stops existing in between movies. With the MCU there's still at least two movies in between Infinity War and its sequel, and possibly some TV shows too (if AOS is still on the air). You can't do a traditional cliffhanger, so something like you're suggesting with the Avengers missing or feared dead would be a much better ending.

You can then logically follow that through some of the other films. Say Ant-Man & The Wasp and Captain Marvel both end with Black Panther or Doctor Strange approaching them in the post-credits scene with something like "The Avengers are gone, but we're putting a team together to finish what they started..." Boom.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
I'm hoping both, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Avengers themselves don't head to space until the fourth film. Part 1 could have a "Let's take the fight to Thanos" type cliffhanger.

Wow, I guess that would be similar to Independence Day: Resurgence's ending...

the greenman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!

Featured Posts