"The Angry Video Game Nerd" Talkback 7 (Warning: Adult Content)

Latest News

Antiyonder

Amalgam Universe Overlord
Staff member
Sep 13, 2002
Ratings
Washington
www.tv.com
Goin take you back to the past...

He has pens/markers in his pockets. He is armed with a Power Glove. He drinks the beer known as Rolling Rock. His profanity makes sailors seem like saints in comparison. He plays Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Game Boy, Sega Genesis, Sega CD, Sega 32X, The Virtual Boy. Even has The Atari (2600 and 5200).

He's James Rolfe/The Angry Video Game Nerd!

Note: To enjoy his videos, you need to keep in mind that his reviews are more of a satrical humor. Yes, some gripes about the game are geniune, that doesn't mean he outright hates the game.

Previous Talkback Thread:
- [URL="https://www.toonzone.net/forums/showthread.php?262369]Talkback 6[/url]

Antiyonder

Amalgam Universe Overlord
Staff member
Sep 13, 2002
Ratings
Washington
www.tv.com

Storm Eagle

Power to the peaceful
May 14, 2002
Ratings
New York
users.ign.com
The Sonic retrospective was great to watch. What he said about having to choose between Nintendo and Sega really hit home, since I was one of those kids. I never owned a Genesis, but I did get to play Sonic games at a cousin's house and a friend's house. So it's a good thing I was able to enjoy the Sonic games through the Sonic Mega Collection on the GameCube, and I'm keeping Sonic Classic Collection for the DS.in mind.

Also, if he wants to review a bad Sonic game, he should go for Sonic Spinball.

By the way, was that an actual voice sample in that Simpsons Game Boy game?

Tash

Jul 19, 2002
N/A
Visit site
The only one I've ever played was Bart vs. the Space Mutants, and I'm not sure the "ay carumba!" came from that. Anyway, I knew that Game Boy Color games could do voice samples, but I didn't think that regular Game Boy games could.
Pokemon Yellow is the most well-known example of a Gameboy game using a voice sample.

Peter Paltridge

Ay Carumba
Staff member
Sep 24, 2003
Ratings
772 6
Stars Hollow
www.platypuscomix.net
Then I've got to see how that sounds somehow.
Like he's chirping through a walkie-talkie from 50 miles away.

[video=youtube;AqeAAj6vc4k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqeAAj6vc4k&feature=related[/video]

There's an old trick with these primitive 8-bit sound chips where if you make a clicking sound extremely fast, you can do it a thousand times a second and through that, play recorded sound on computers and handhelds that weren't built to do so. But it's rough-sounding.

Storm Eagle

Power to the peaceful
May 14, 2002
Ratings
New York
users.ign.com
That video makes it sound far worse than it actually did. Here's a better one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNV4P3DFPps
So that's what voice samples sound like on Game Boy games eh? Yeah, not impressive at all.

For a moment, I'll let myself speak as an obsessive fanboy. Originally a DVD feature, we get to see the sacred land to video game fans.

Or speaking as merely a fan, the Nerd Room: http://cinemassacre.com/2012/04/25/nerd-room-vol-4-dvd-bonus/
That was interesting to watch. I'm glad he touched upon the second NES model lacking A/V jacks. Most people with an NES used the RF switch hookup method back in the day, but more people probably had TVs with A/V inputs around the time when the second model came out. That's definitely the method to use when you have a TV with those jacks. Even with a first model of the NES.

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

Stephanie Sheh voicing Izzy Park the same way she does Sailor Moon has me considering the chance of Nazneen Contractor dubbing some "Sailor Moon" episodes I currently dont plan to buy.
Watched the newest Halloween yesterday
I can’t express my unpopular opinions without someone yelling or disagreeing at me why I’m a monster for thinking that way (liking adult animation, SpongeBob’s new episodes are inferior, etc.)
If you have Starz Encore Family (Not Kids & Family, but Family...) 1 hour as of this post, they'll be playing "Inspector Gadget Saves Christmas" and "Sonic Christmas Blast". (3:19pm-4:06pm EST) Both will play again at some point.
I'm at episode 50 of {Batman: TAS ∧ Hey Arnold}.