"That Guy With the Glasses" Talkback 13 (Warning Strong Language)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
Which Care Bears movie is the one with Professor Coldheart?

None.

Professor Coldheart only appeared in the 2 syndicated TV specials (The Care Bears in the Land Without Feelings, 1983 and The Care Bears Battle the Freeze Machine, 1984, respectively) and the short-lived syndicated TV series produced by DiC. When Nelvana took over producing the Care Bears shows (beginning with The Care Bears Family on ABC in 1986 and later in syndication) and movies, Prof. Coldheart was discarded in favor of No Heart, Mr. Beastly, Shreeky and other villains. Nelvana never used Prof. Coldheart, and none of the TV villains ever appeared in the movies.

Gatomon41

Digipunk

Anyone00

The Moltar-Snork
So Brad is going to try the horrid Durian? The one food that Andrew Zimmerman would never eat?! I gotta check this out!

In the Kid's Special of Bizarre Foods it was reviled Andrew also will not eat walnuts.

Edit: Somewhat disappointing. Brad and his wife didn't find it very disgusting. I guess all the terrible food has changed their pallet.

I'm guessing it had alot to do with the fruit they were eating wasn't fresh and spent a large amount of time in a freezer; on the travel log shows they usually get them in season off a market cart and likely picked the same day it was consumed.

garfield15

Member of the 10,000 post club
Good god what a bad movie. Which of course means, the review was fantastic.

Is it bad that Jeremy Irons is probably the best thing about this? Why is it the worst thing that's in the movie is probably the only thing that makes it the best? Or maybe it's because I'm watching it with the NC. I honestly just got a kick out of his over-acting.

Yeah, Marlon was reminding me of Sixth Element too.

"....Post...guards...at...every...sewer....I want....them found.....now...."

Astrolupine

Man on the wing.
I didn't much care for this review. But it's just a tired, lame movie with nothing special going for it and Doug just seems kinda desperate to find something that stands out. Too much pointing out of Baldy McChapstick, too. Nice talking skeleton, though.

2/5

Jeremy Irons: BLARRAGHETYRAHHAHAGRAAAGHAAARRGHMYDESTINEEEEY!!

Light Lucario

Staff member
That was a really funny review. I've never seen the movie, but I've heard pretty bad things about it. I actually loved Jeremy Irons' over-acting simply because it was so hilarious, especially near the end when he, as the NC mentioned, turned into a human vibrator. It felt like he was just putting too much enthusiasm for this role and as a result, it actually was more entertaining than I thought it would be. It didn't feel as bad as the empress' under-acting where it felt like she barely memorized her lines whenever she spoke, especially during that debate clip.

I also liked how he pointed out that really odd blue lipstick throughout the review. It didn't really feel too forced or overused by the end. Making the comparisons to both Indiana Jones and Zelda was funny too and the whole quest thing did sound fairly confusing. I thought that the reactions to Snail dying were kind of harsh, but it probably helps that he didn't seem that annoying to me in these clips. The final fight and the way Jeremy Irons' character dies, along with the dragon saying that there was too much ham there, was pretty funny too. It was a nice review and it should be interesting to see what he'll review next week.

HG Revolution

Truth (with crazy opinions!)
Very fun review. Me and some of the guys who went to Israel with me last summer watched this movie together on TV. Needless to say, we were closer friends afterward.

Review does need more Snails annoyingness, though. "Blame the Mages" sort of became a catchphrase between me and the other guys. Best comment one of the guys made on the character: "If I was black, I'd be really offended; if I was white, I'd be really, really embarrassed."

Gatomon41

Digipunk
Well Critic, you could say this followed the game, if the game was a lamely run campaign done by a lazy Dungeonmaster from the player's characters POV. But if you want a real DND movie, watch "the Gamers".

While the ending was confusing, at least it didn't end with what they originally planed: a big parade. They cut it out since it was a little too much like the end of Star Wars Ep. 1.

I forgot how fun and stupid this film is. I loved Jeremy Irons and the Guard Captains performances. Never had I seen acting that cheesy since Space Mutiny. Plus, good comparison to Dr. Insano @_@.

My goodness, the Empress is a terrible actress. :eek:

I love how they got Tom baker in this film, and only had him in it for a few minutes. Rats, I was so psyched to see Baker in this movie, and all we got was a glorified cameo.

Funny, when i first saw the flim, I felt bad for Snails dying. But now, I can't be more than happy enough.

A fun video by the Critic, with his weird commentary and and wacky facial expressions, and a good bad film, its wonderful. Alright, the "There's something on your lip" gag was a waste, but everything else was well worth watching.

Last edited by a moderator:

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
Fun trivia fact about Dungeons & Dragons: reportedly Jeremy Irons only did this movie because there was some property he had his eye on.

Anyone00

The Moltar-Snork
Fun trivia fact about Dungeons & Dragons: reportedly Jeremy Irons only did this movie because there was some property he had his eye on.

I hear it was to afford the renovations to a castle he just purchased at the time.

I wonder if part of his pay was all the dental work to remove the pieces of the set.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Originally posted by garfield15
Nostalgia Critic surprise #1 is...

Dungeons and Dragons!

Uh you know garfield you're suppose to keep what the movie is in SPOILER tags so no one else finds out what it is until they check out the link. Kind of ruins the surpirse if you say what it is off the bat you know.

You know another interesting thing about the movie: This is the second review of it on That Guy WIth The Glasses. The First was done by... Distressed Watcher. And I'm guessing everyone either ignored or refused to talk about that review due to I think everyone here totally hating that guy but there were some jokes in his review that I find in NC's (mostly the Catina joke and being overjoyed when Marlan Wayans character died. Then again I doubt anyone wouldn't be overjoyed about that). Another thing I found interesting is that this is the Sesquicentennial NC. Aka the 150th special. And like the 100th Special Review (which was also the first one of Febuary) he chooses an incredibley pathetic and very badly recieved action movie (this time a fantasy and not a sci fi) from 2000 most notable for it's utter stupidity and over the top villians. I didn't think this was a bad review or anything. I liked NC making fun of Irons overacting (and nice Kickassia refrence with the Insano school of overacting), The Wayans Wheel, Marianna having no character depth, imitating "Old Blue Lips" (Distressed Watchers name for the blue liped villian) doing everything unnecessarly slowly, pointing out how they ripped off the traps straight from Indiana Jones, "you're expecting us to care about Marlan Wayons, which is a very tall order, actually impossible order", underacting vs overacting, the sword fight just being up up down down up down up down etc, "ewww this has too much ham in it" and his opinion being this is just one of those totally bad movies that are worth watching just for how bad it is. I guess that's why he chose a really bad movie to start out Febuary with: A movie with a lot to talk about that isn't a pain to watch because it's abysmally entertaining instead of just... abysmal.

Gatomon41

Digipunk
Uh you know garfield you're suppose to keep what the movie is in SPOILER tags so no one else finds out what it is until they check out the link. Kind of ruins the surpirse if you say what it is off the bat you know.
Even though the surprise would be ruined the second the user clinks on the link and reads the vid title.

You know another interesting thing about the movie: This is the second review of it on That Guy WIth The Glasses. The First was done by... Distressed Watcher.
Hmm, no wonder I never heard about that review.

Spoony did a text review some years ago.

Shift

Brave Warrior of the Sea
It's funny, I just saw the D&D double feature DVD at Big Lots today; didn't know I'd be getting the abridged experience today, too.

Funny parts: The affectionate "Wah-Wah", Jerry Lewis, the whole Indiana Jones comparison, Over- vs. Under-Acting, the Crest guy's choreography and end, and tasteless as it was, the jubilation over Snails' death. Good surprise review all around!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts