"That Guy With the Glasses" Talkback 10 (Warning Strong Language)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HellCat

Lesser spotted Brit
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
If you want to see him in a really bad film, try Guest House Paradiso. We're talking about a film where a plot point is most of the guests eating radioactive fish and coming down with nuclear projectile vomiting.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
Martianinvader said:
Whoever this irritating British clown is, though, he's so not Keaton.

His name is Rik Mayall, and his talent shouldn't be judged solely by this one bad movie. Mr. Mayall was very funny on The Young Ones and on the Blackadders 2 and 4 (where he played Lord Flashheart).

I haven't seen this in forever. I'm surprised there were no "Animal House" references to Tim Matheson's Charles. He's basically Otter several years later, albeit less funny.

Beat

Retired
If you want to see him in a really bad film, try Guest House Paradiso. We're talking about a film where a plot point is most of the guests eating radioactive fish and coming down with nuclear projectile vomiting.

And that makes Multiplicity sound like an Oscar winner.

Hey, there's a movie for NC. You could get in a decent amount of Batman jokes to boot.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
His name is Rik Mayall, and his talent shouldn't be judged solely by this one bad movie. Mr. Mayall was very funny on The Young Ones and on the Blackadders 2 and 4 (where he played Lord Flashheart).

He also played Mad Gerald in the last episode of Blackadder 1.

TMC1982

I haven't seen this in forever. I'm surprised there were no "Animal House" references to Tim Matheson's Charles. He's basically Otter several years later, albeit less funny.

I'm surprised that Doug didn't mention Phoebe Cates being in Fast Times at Ridgemont High (the famous red bikini scene):p. Phoebe Cates and Carrie Fisher arguably have two of the most famous bikini moments (refering to Carrie Fisher's "slave girl" attire in Return of the Jedi) in 1980s cinema.

Dudley

Staff member
Wow. That's movie's terrifying.
I still can't believe a woman's boat house sunk, and she's not horribly upset about it.

HomeMoviesFan

I have a nemesis!
Having seen "Drop Dead Fred", yes it is in fact that bizarre and annoying at times. And yes it is an obvious cash-in on Beetlejuice/Tim Burton. Even the the erratic score tries to badly mimic Danny Elfman.

There's one thing about the film that always bothered me: is Fred just a figment of Lizzie's imagination and she is in fact the one wrecking everything? Because unless the movie is suggesting that she has telekinetic powers, a lot of what Drop Dead Fred "does" is merely physically impossible to be the actual actions of Lizzie. The one scene that raises my eyebrows is when she and Fred sink the ship. She couldn't have possibly done all of that, "Fred" was obviously physically doing damage to the ship far from where Lizzie was. Do we really expect that while steering, she also managed to be downstairs, bust the controls and cause a leak on the front end? It is impossible because she can not be in two places at the same time. Already the film has a rather dark and twisted premise for a childrens' film, with an obviously insane heroine. (for those who have seen it, the scene where Lizzie serves Charles mudpie unknowingly) Of course, there is also the whole business of everyone being totally mad and bat-you-know-what crazy, but the physical ramifications that it implies are freaking impossible. There's no way a little girl can singlehandedly do all of that. So are imaginary friends not mere figments, but actual metaphysical beings that can interact with reality? It makes no freaking sense. I'm shocked the NC didn't pick up on that.

Damn this movie is bad. And they're remaking it. Of course.

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli
Also, he played Rest Home Ricky in Shock Treatment (the "follow-up" to Rocky Horror).

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Originally posted by garfield15
Who was the new girl in the group?

Victioria Turner. She's a longtime friend of Rob Walker, and has appeared on various other NC related videos. Like Holiday Cluster**** (the woman who shot herself at the end), The Bjork show (Where she plays Bjork, which she also replayed in one of those True Internet stories) and stopped by the 2009 Charity Drive. This is her first regular NC video cameo though.

Originally posted by Behonkiss
Not directly related to TGWTG itself, but a bunch of its forum members who do reviews independently have teamed up to review all the Land Before Time movies together. There's a list of the people doing it along with the finished episodes here, and if you know your Toon Zone members, there may be one you recognize.
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/for...p?f=28&t=16457

In another sort of intersting twist, The Hardcore Kid (The guy who reviewed the Third Land Before Time movie) reviewed Drop Dead Fred before NC

http://hbhardcorehits.blip.tv/file/2422984/

And al ot of his thoughts are also thoughts mentioned here (how it's similar to Beetlejuice, Rik Mayall being actually funny in stuff not related to this movie, etc). Not as funny as the NC's review...

Though that wasn't really one of his best. I mean yeah I defintley got how Drop Dead Fred was a very very annoying movie that was more of a dark psyhoclical thriller then a children's comedy but I don't know some of the jokes didn't work for me (the nos lasted too long for me, and I think the Doctor Nostalgia Critic theme could of been implemented more into the actual review) but it wasn't terrible or anything. Maybe since it's been awhile since seeing an NC review (hey technically this is the first movie review he's done in a month if all of us saw Home Alone 3 on Blip before it came out on the site) so it was probably weird adjusting back into doing them. There was still some good stuff (nice use of Nightmare On Elm Street clip and that girl's face for an amusing running gag) but not one of his best. Then again I didn't see this flick or really hear about it till NC's review so the Nostalgia was lost on me.

BTW, for those of you who think that Drop Dead Fred leaves a bad mental image, Cinema Snob talks about a recent movie that quite frankly, sounds disturbing just from it's synopsis.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/bj/bcmr/21258-the-human-centipede

.... It's been awhile since I've heard of just the idea of a movie that just sickens me. And considering what this guy normally reviews, that's saying something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Starting next month, I will be going back to using Magical Doremi profile pics for a while, because I want to honor the first magical girl series I ever watched.
Streaker Prower wrote on Vuxovich's profile.
What would happen if FUNimation did continue to use Ocean Media for Dragon Ball Z And Probably the Original Dragon Ball, GT, Kai, Super and the Video Games

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now

Featured Posts