Tenchi In Tokyo To Air Uncompleted?

Mecha Washu

Rei's "Dummy Plug"
I was looking at the schedule on cartoon network and decided to see all the listed shows of Tenchi In Tokyo, then I found that the last episode being shown is episode 24 Yugi's Shadow which is NOT the final episode!. The final episode is episode 26 titled "Payback". Its extreamly lame to cut the last two episodes of a series off just so the oh so rerun ThunderCats can start on a monday and not mid week. Seriously whats going on? its bad enough Tenchi In Tokyo had been stopped at episode 14 for two weeks with Zoids in it's place, which I am sure confused quite a few viewers, but to actully finish up the show at episode 24 when there's 26 episodes is a crime. Can someone explain to me why this show was first stopped mid run for two weeks now it apears the last two episodes won't even be shown?. Here's the link to the schedule showing that its last episode showing is on friday April 12th, when infact it should be tuesday april 17th.

http://alt.cartoonnetwork.com/Schedule/0,3671,CTN|0|314723|Eastern,00.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Madman

That really stinks, I thought that they'd let Tenchi end its run on Toonami on a good note by letting it finish up this time.

William C. Maune

TZ News Editor in Chief
I can't see Toonami not finishing the last two episodes of Tenchi In Tokyo. If they weren't planning on finishing it there would have been no point to bringing it back after the two weeks of Zoids. They would have instead just cut it off an left it the last time it was on the afternoon and midnight runs. Cartoon Network's schedule page can be questionable sometimes so I would not be surprised to see something happen. They could either air the final three episodes on Friday or maybe Thundercats isn't starting next week. It always did seem to be an odd addition to the current Toonami schedule.​

Mecha Washu

Rei's "Dummy Plug"
I'll even admit being a big Tenchi fan that Tenchi In Tokyo is awful, but letting a show go uncompleted is pretty lame reguardless of how popular it is.

William C. Maune

TZ News Editor in Chief
Hmmm, well I guess the new Thundercats promo on Toonami shoots my no Thundercats hypothesis out the window. Hopefully they will do a Tenchi in Tokyo minimarathon on Friday or something.​

ohmrbill

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Well, it's gotten several complete runs in the past (and will probably have more in the future), so it's not really that big of a deal. Now MSG on the other hand... THAT was a crime.

RogueMartian

Cogito Ergo Sum
To my knowledge Tenchi in Tokyo only had one complete run. Someone would have to verify that for me though. Its the worst of the Tenchi saga, there's no denying that, but its definitely not right to treat it like this. Especially so it can be replaced by Thundercats. That is pretty uncool.

William C. Maune

TZ News Editor in Chief
Tenchi has had 6 total runs (including this one). Tenchi in Tokyo will have had 4 complete runs (assuming the schedule is wrong and the last two episode do air. Tenchi premiered in the summer of 2000 at 6 PM (5 PM Central), which was also the birth of the third hour. From there it had 4 continuous uninterrupted runs on the afternoon block, even surviving the hour cut. The first three of these runs Tenchi Muyo!, Universe, and Tokyo all had complete runs. During the fourth run Tokyo was cut short, I think this was when CardCaptors ran. Tenchi also had one Midnight Run which began after Gundam Wing Uncut had been run twice. This time Tenchi in Tokyo was also cut short to make way for Outlaw Star. Finally, Tenchi was rotated back onto the block for its current run and the next few days will determine if it is a complete run.​

Dark Spider

Moderator of Kiyone Love
Oh knowing that is nothing, I know all the runs of Outlaw Star. :)

But to not get off-topic, this sucks for Tenchi in Tokyo. It doesn't make any sense that it was cut off at episode 14 and replaced by Zoids/Zero for a couple of weeks. Then it returns and gets cut short from 2 episodes. I don't think there was a logical reason for that to happen.

And if TiT was to have a minimarathon, it would've been announced by now. When Zoids/Zero had that minimarathon back in December, that was advertised the week before. I just don't know what to say right now. Currently I'm taping TiT, so I'm pissed to high heaven.

Gary L Thompson

I like Tenchi in Tokyo (I think it has a few episodes here and there, like Ryoko's date with Tenchi, and Ayeka and Sasami hitchhiking to Tokyo, that are true gems), but I wouldn't argue it is probably the weakest Tenchi series overall. However, I think even haters of the show would be hard put to argue that the concluding episodes aren't the best of the series, and I think to even consider not showing the ending after making the audience endure quite a few filler episodes is an absolute crime. Particularly when you made them wait a couple weeks in the middle, for no urgent reason.

I think someone should draw up petition Cartooon Network to cut out this serial interrupting for good. If we can get one network outlet to establish this as a policy, short of a show actively scaring off the audience, maybe others can be pressured to fall in line from there. In the long run, nobody is going to watch anime if they have no confidence in seeing the ending.

etj4eagle

Unfortunatly it looks like Tenchi in Tokyo is seen low esteem by the scheduling people at CN, that they see the show as nothing more than filler. While I love the other two series and hate this one, I agree that still does not excuse using a serial series as filler. But that is obviously what it is being used as.

Am realizing that this does seem to point to a flaw in Toonami's shows (or at least the ones from the past few years). They are all serial, so they have no filler capability to pad a schedule. If they did I would wager to say Tenchi in Tokyo would never have aired this time.

William C. Maune

TZ News Editor in Chief
"Wow, AFX, you sure know your Toonami!

Are you going purely by memory or do you have something you use for reference on stuff like that?"

I am going by memory. For awhile now though I have been meaning to start a page noting past and present schedule changes since the question comes up quite a bit.​

zmanjz

Retired...?
Having seen all these episodes on previous runs, I was wondering if Toonami's going to air any of the tenchi movies?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mecha Washu

Rei's "Dummy Plug"
I am sure they could air Tenchi Muyo In Love 1 with no problems, Manatsu No Eve, AKA Daughter of Darkness would require some more digital bathing suits as well as some cuts due to violence. Tenchi Forever is pretty mature to be on Cartoon Network, but I could see it being on adult swim as some kinda anime special feature, Tenchi Forever wouldnt need too many edits besides one scene which would have to get cut if I can recall right.

SirLemming

a playa in a world of NPCs
They had BETTER not cut it off! I don't know... could ANYONE be that stupid? Actually, yes, so that's why I'm worried. See, I never had cable or satellite until November 2001... So this is the first time I'm seeing all this stuff!

As for Tenchi in Tokyo specifically, I personally see no problem with it compared to the other Tenchis. Some of the early episodes had strange episodic "defeat the villain" plots -- the "love goddess" one was probably my least favorite -- but some of them I actually found quite entertaining. Lighthearted, you know -- I thought some of it was hilarious! The best of those is definitely the one where the Demon of Cell-Phones and Other Long-Distance Devices declares all long-distance relationships illegal... that was just a masterpiece of bizarreness.
But especially at this point ("Sakuya's Secret" was today's episode), I think it's getting really interesting. All the Yugi stuff is starting to make sense, which is cool since it's been going on since the beginning. And the new Sakuya angle is interesting too.
I don't know, I personally am REALLY liking this now. So they'd better not screw it up!

SirLemming

a playa in a world of NPCs
I saw the Thundercats commercial today, so I'm really starting to get worried. They said "next Monday at 5:00"...

My only real hope now is that they'll put it in a different time slot or something...

It's just not fair!

Cartoon Network seems to be the king of bad timing. They also decided to debut Saturday's Adult Swim Action (anime) time block with the second-to-last episode of Cowboy Bebop, with the last episode the following week. If they had simply waited ONE MORE WEEK, the two-part final episode could have aired on Sunday in its usual time slot, thus "ending" it nicely before starting the new Saturday schedule. That way, people who were used to seeing it on Sunday wouldn't miss the end, and people who were going to start off with the Saturday block wouldn't have to see the last episodes first.

I dunno... some weird stuff going on there.

zmanjz

Retired...?
Oh yeah, I forgot about those... If you wait a few months, I'm sure that ASA will get to the Tenchi in Tokyo Series.

(Not that it matters for me, but just trying to help those who can't afford the DVDs...)

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to admit, it's been a while since I read a really low-level, lazy clickbait article.
Ezra Bridger is a better Ezra than Ezra Miller. He at least repelled the Empire from his homeworld.
Today is the 25th anniversary of South Park, 18th anniversary of Foster's Home and 15th anniversary of Slacker Cats.

This day is full of anniversaries.
To my friends on the other side of the aisle: Aren't you tired of this? Do you think your cartoonishly ridiculous excuses for this crap sound remotely plausible to sane people? Doesn't defending the indefensible make you feel embarrassed and stupid? When is enough going to be enough? What will it take?
youtube Nickelodeon even uploaded sneak peek clip 6 min of upcoming episode of Young Dylan - The Gift Grift which was supposed to air last Thursday but was pulled at last notice

youtube Nickelodeon above banner STILL reads as That New Thursday Nights.. it may be a matter of time to remove that banner since there's no new episodes of Lay Lay and Dylan this time.

Featured Posts