"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2011 Ongoing)" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate and Comment - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IDW Comic Series

• ***1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Discuss the all-new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles ongoing series from IDW publishing!

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #1

Written by: Kevin Eastman and Tom Waltz.
Art by: Dan Duncan.

Description: They're back! This summer, the original heroes in a half-shell make a triumphant return to comics! Leonardo, Donatello, Michaelangelo, and Raphael reunite to bring their ninja aptitude and teenage attitude to IDW Publishing in this all-new, action-packed series. Featuring a cast of familiar characters—Master Splinter, April O'Neill, Casey Jones, and more—and true to the spirit of the original comics created by Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are bigger and badder than ever, and ready to rock old and new fans alike!

Comments?

Related Threads:
-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Mirage Studios) Classic Talkback (Spoilers)
-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures Classic Talkback (Spoilers)
-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Volume One: Heroes In A Half-Shell Talkback (Spoilers)
-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Future Tense - Volume One Talkback (Spoilers)

Spider-Man

I enjoyed the first issue though I do wish I got more out of it for the $4 I paid. I was planning on getting this monthly but I might reconsider trade waiting the book. It was definitely good though and I'm really interested in some of the subplots in the book. I'm genuinely excited about this book since it'll be the first TMNT book I follow monthly since the TMNT Adv comic. It seems like some modifications are being made to their origins which I am pretty curious to see how this plays out. I don't mind April's bigger role in the Turtles origin and I'm interested to see how the turtles became Ninja Turtles in apparently 18 months. They could also be throwing in some misdirection here to through us off. The book is off to a good start but I can also see where it might ruffle some feathers.

Sketch

not like those other old guys
I was thinking of following this comic from the beginning but at 4 bucks a pop? Eh... My love of Ninja Turtles might make it worth it.

T-Rex Jones

Trust me when I tell you that this comic is definitely going into some very cool places over the next few issues. It'll be worth it ;)

Angilasman

I don't think I'll pick up the monthlies, but as a life-long turtle-fan if the buzz is good for the first few issues I'll definitely go for the trades.

Astrolupine

Man on the wing.
I rarely purchase IDW comics brand-new, they're rather pricey, but in the case of my liking of the Turtles, I've made an exception.

It's not a bad start. It's interesting to see a new take on the Turtles inspired by the Mirageverse. The origin redo is something that'll take time to get used to, as the story's been the same in every incarnation, save the tweak of Splinter as Yoshi in the 87 and '12 toons.

The con of the issue, as already stated, is that you don't feel like you got your entire $4 worth as the action takes place all in the first half, the latter being flashbacks. However, I'm intrigued with Hob's background, the unseen General Krang and whatever the heck is up with Raphael in past and present. I'll wait for future reviews to see if future issues are worth the dough.

King9

Embraced One
I pretty much agree with y'all. I liked it a lot. I've always wanted to get into the turtles and this seems like a good place to start. But too expensive. I'll wait for the trades maybe.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The all-new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles ongoing series from IDW publishing continues!

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #2

Written by: Kevin Eastman and Tom Waltz
Art by: Dan Duncan

Description: The Turtle brothers are separated! With one of their own lost, the Turtles struggle to train, fight, and find their own place in the world. A brand new villain seeks revenge and hints about the Turtles origin are revealed! A new mythology for Turtles in the 21st century is being built -- and the story is just beginning to rev up!

Comments?

Related Threads:
-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Mirage Studios) Classic Talkback (Spoilers)
-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures Classic Talkback (Spoilers)
-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Volume One: Heroes In A Half-Shell Talkback (Spoilers)
-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Future Tense - Volume One Talkback (Spoilers)

Spider-Man

I think I'll be in it for at least the first arc. I thought this issue was actually better than the first and the time-jumping just adds to the mystery. The art even seems a bit sharper. It was very cool to see the introduction of Casey Jones too. That was a great surprise. There are a few questions still and I have to wonder the whole '15 months earlier' part since that doesn't seem like enough time for our heroes to become these full-fledged ninjas so I hope the answer comes in the next two parts. Still good though.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I looked at #1 in a Barnes & Noble this past weekend. Seemed interesting. I credit it for not starting off with Shredder and the Foot Clan but the flashbacks were confusing. I left the book thinking the turtles and rat at Stockgen aren't Splinter and co., and April may be infiltrating the company for them. There was a sketch in there of Stockman with what appears to be Mousers.

On the fence with Old Hob. Not to hot on Casey being introduced like that. But overall, it's only the first issue. The biggest surprise for me was General Krang. Can't wait to see how that reveals itself. I'll tune in this week for #2.

Just read there's a new micro-series starting in November with Raphael! "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Microseries #1: Raphael Coming in November!"

Don't miss out on this new character Alopex designed by Kevin Eastman—his first new design for the TMNT world in over 15 years! Diamond order code: SEPT11 0280.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Micro-series #1: Raphael
Brian Lynch (w) • Franco Urru (a) • David Peterson, Urru (c) Following in the tradition of the original TMNT microseries comes the first of four stand-alone tales centering on each Turtle. Raphael's place in the world is uncertain and he can't shake the feeling that he'll always be an outsider. That changes when he finds another mutant, the arctic fox Alopex, who may have a new clue pertaining to the Turtles origin. Unfortunately she's too busy being hunted alive to share the info! Will Raphael and his new friend survive the night? The Angel: After the Fall team of Brian Lynch and Franco Urru reveal all! Well, some, anyway!
*2 regular covers will be shipped in a 4-to-1 ratio (4 David Peterson, 1 Franco Urru)
*Retailers: See your order form for incentive information.
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

*Variant covers:
David Peterson black & white variant cover!
“Retro” variant edition, featuring a re-mastered original Kevin Eastman Raphael Micro-Series cover!

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The all-new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles ongoing series from IDW publishing continues!

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #3

Written by: Kevin Eastman and Tom Waltz
Art by: Dan Duncan

Description: The rebirth of the Ninja Turtles continues! New twists in the Turtles' origin are revealed as Raphael continues his life apart from his brothers and uncovers danger with his new pal Casey Jones. The only result can be some serious street brawlin'! Meanwhile villainous Old Hob has his eyes and ears to the ground and he only has one thought on his mind—bloody revenge! Will the Turtles be reunited in time to stop his plan, or will they be picked off one by one? The only way to find out is to read this issue!

Comments?