"Teen Titans Go! vs. Teen Titans" Animated Release Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate this movie

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 1 10.0%

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • ***1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• **1/2

• *1/2

• Total voters

Cartoonfan13

Though Michael Jelenic & Aaron Horvath did still return to produce this movie , and series director Jeff Mednikow did direct it, so I assume there's still some involvement from the TTG crew.
Yes but it was Minimal , also I thought Aaron and Michael were just exceutive producers.

Otaku-sempai

Yeah, you just hover the mouse near the second reply and the arrow icon should be around there to scroll through the various designs he posted. It might be hard to see if you're on a computer I think.
I see. I was checking the gallery on Instagram. Social media is not my strong suit.

iammattie

Looks like the TV crew has strong opinions about this movie (since none worked on it) based on Eric Pringle's reply and the TTGCrew account (minor Raven spoiler).

Well that's... Interesting... Has TTG gotten to a point where they've got cohesive continuity now? If this isn't canonical to the show... is the show going to do something else to pick up from the TTG 2 the Movies mid credits? Does THAT movie become retroactively invalidated?

Very interesting situation there.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Well that's... Interesting... Has TTG gotten to a point where they've got cohesive continuity now? If this isn't canonical to the show... is the show going to do something else to pick up from the TTG 2 the Movies mid credits? Does THAT movie become retroactively invalidated?

Very interesting situation there.
When they feel like it, lol.

But yeah, I'm starting to wonder if the TTG To The Movie's mid-credit scene was done in late stages by someone higher up inserting it and it wasn't originally planned by the main TV crew.

iammattie

But yeah, I'm starting to wonder if the TTG To The Movie's mid-credit scene was done in late stages by someone higher up inserting it and it wasn't originally planned by the main TV crew.

Hmmm... I guess realistically, the movie DOES give them an out. A lot of those crowd shots are padded with extra models that seem to just be copy and paste of the TTG characters, so canonically speaking they can certainly be different worlds.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Hmmm... I guess realistically, the movie DOES give them an out. A lot of those crowd shots are padded with extra models that seem to just be copy and paste of the TTG characters, so canonically speaking they can certainly be different worlds.
Idk, could just be the TV crew making something out of nothing. It's not like CN or WBA would have let them stop work on season 5 and 6 to work on the DTV solely since it's not like they could have worked on all 3 and maybe the 1st movie at the same time depending on when all this stuff was made. I think it's okay for this DTV to be canon since canon hardly matters for this series.

But to the other point, stuff from the 1st movie has seeped into the TV show like the distant shot of Jump City, the 'pink' septia toned buildings around the city, there was even an episode that was right after movie - acknowledging it and everything - rebuilding the tower.

Cartoonfan13

Khary Payton Revealed that is indeed the case.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
You know there were a lot of really cool things I actually really liked about this movie. For instance I do really like the idea that yeah in the TT world Trigon died and was only able to be brought back by the TTG! Trigon taking powers from another Raven since you know they do have that whole portal connection and thus if that connection was broken with his Raven it could be regained with another. And I also like the twist of the final villain Hexacon being the TTG Trigon eating the TT Trigon and actually proving to be a more serious threat until being beaten by a combined team effort mostly of all of the Ravens coming together being eaten by TTG! Raven. I admit maybe this is because this just seems like one of those things you only see in a comic related project ( as I saw this done in the Archie sonic comic with Tails) but I love the whole "absorbing the power of other variations of you to become the most powerful variation" and "The Unkindness" is a pretty cool nick name. And you know this special ultimately being about Raven worked. The "not use to walking/gross feet" gags were pretty bleh and I'm not sure we should of seen TT Trigon having jokey moments even if the trying to get a drink bit was funny (though I could at least chalk that up to him having his powers coming from the sillier Raven thus maybe he would have a bit of that silliness slip out) but the actual bonding between the two Ravens was good. I like how since this is after "The End" for TT Raven she's actually much more of a mentor figure for TTG Raven who obviously still has issues with her demon half and father and those actually in a sense being treated seriously from pointing out the worry about her friends to actually bonding with the demon inside of her. That was good. And honestly a fair amount of the action scenes worked from the faux collisseum fight with the two groups to the TT team beating Santa Claus and Mrs. Claus to all the various versions of them working together. Heck even smaller bits like Gentlemen Ghost taking over the TTG! team or TTG! Cyborg tricking the Clauses were solid. And some jokes on this were actually pretty good from TT Robin's frustration with TTG's Robin (and this comes from someone who wasn't ever that big a fan of TT Robin but having to deal with years of TTG Robin's annoyance yeah I could see why he would be frustrated), the DTV Titans being called the much more serious one (heh I doubt this would of been allowed/been difficult to film but I would of loved to see the team briefly go through the Streaming Titans Universe and say they're the super serious ones and then be shock/horrifed about how serious they are and want to rush out as soon as possible) and TT Robin annoyed at having to come up with so many plans on top of one another. So yeah there were good moments in this special but...

Yeah what I said before about this having a major failing if both the TTG! and TT 2003 didn't work on this does count as yeah you can tell there was only some familiarity with the original show in making this and that does make the crossover less genuine. Granted very few cartoon crossovers have the advantage of having both show teams work on the project (The Jimmy/Timmy Power Hours and Grim Adventures of the KND are more outliers in that regard) but this was a crossover sold on the idea of both teams coming together and wasn't something meant to air on TV but a DTV project. Thus more money and effort was thrown into it thus more effort should of been gotten to get at least one of the original writers and directors from the 2003 show involved. I know this is more a TTG! movie then a TT one (and yeah a lot of of the TTG crew didn't work on this but one of the directors of TTG directed this so pretty clear there was so major TTG influence and the feel of the story felt much like TTG) but both teams really should of been consulted because... yeah the 2003 feels really off. Especially TT Starfire who yeah could be silly and have goofy moments and I guess it was shown a bit here her being more serious but the whole laser thumb wars and instigating the rap song number just felt really out of character. Though not as much as her having a wandering eye for other Robins like with the Animated Flashpoint Universe Nightwing. In fact that reminds me of a really missed opportunity for jokes; as this for the 2003 series takes place AFTER their finale, TT Robin and Starfire should be a couple. Thus if TTG! Starfire is crushing on Robin, TT Starfire should get in her grill on that as TTG! Robin is annoyed at the two of them being together, especially finding out TT Starfire was crushing more not the other way around. Like there's so many different jokes and gags they could of done with that alone that would of still fit the characters but no, that's something that was totally ignored like the writing team didn't even know that because they likely might not of known that. Plus as much as the team was trying to point out the TT team as more serious they still made them give into the goofiness too much and not properly bond in the way they should of with the TTG! team. I mean it's not like this was a super insulting "take that" to the other series like say Turtles Forever (even though that was more done due to the original TMNT creator disliking the 80's show and wanting the 2003 series to take major shots at that) but this is built up as a more actual return to the TT characters and again they do feel pretty off. Like I wish there was more a comparison of notes between the two teams (I think the only one was TT Beast Boy saying his Terra died... so wait is that saying that girl in "Things Change" wasn't Terra at all or did they not know about that?) and more evolution of jokes then either "TTG team do something silly and either the TT team are a bit annoyed at that or join in for whatever reason." Also shouldn't The Master of Games have been the same one as TT's "Winner Take All" if the Wirlagog was from that universe? If it was an excuse just to have Santa Claus have the other one there could of been other explanations like Santa just took it or something then "oh they have to kind of look the same." The ending was also not that good. I get the meta commentary on making fun of annoyance of events but that is being a bit too callous even for the TTG team to just totally not care and honestly "Girls Night In" did the sky beam jokes already... eh hard to say who did it first honestly but it fit better in that story then this one.

So a mixed bag. I think what worked about this special probably pushes it a bit over as it did have good moments but it did have a lot of wasted potential. Seriously if you're going to hype up the return of the 2003 TT team people want to see that as best they can not the TTG! team trying to replicate that. Still decent though and between this and TTG! Go To The Movies at least it proves when these characters put in the effort they can entertain for over 70 minutes even though sometimes they can barely entertain for less then 10.

Last edited:

Cartoonfan13

We're less then a Week Away from the Blu Ray/DVD release of Teen Titans Go Vs Teen Titans.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Is this on the s universe app?
Like Batman vs. TMNT, it looks like that's a "no." If it is coming, it might not be on until January. I know for the DC Universe DTVs, they now have a new policy - 90 days after the physical release.

Dusty

Superman.
Like Batman vs. TMNT, it looks like that's a "no." If it is coming, it might not be on until January. I know for the DC Universe DTVs, they now have a new policy - 90 days after the physical release.
Thank you Yojimbo. Well, I guess I have absolutely no reason for this app then since Swampthing got canceled, I own the comics I’d ever read, I own all the shows in HD or DVD. I was just going to check if WW:BL was good cause I heard it wasn’t a sequel to the awesome 2009 movie... and that’s no bueno. lol

Cartoonfan13

Greg Cipes and Tara Strong are still adamant that Teen Titans Season 6 or a similar Continuation will happen at some point.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Teen Titans Go! Vs Teen Titans

Honestly? I haven't enjoyed a DC toon DTV this much in years. I love Death of Superman and Batman Vs. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, but there were things I didn't love about them. This was just nonstop great. I'm trying to think which DC DTVs I've liked better. Maybe Batman: Beyond: Return Of The Joker, (and Batman: Mask Of The Phantasm if you want to count it). I also really dug Justice League: The New Frontier back in the day. But it's been awhile since I liked one this much. Probably because it's safe enough for kids, but geeky enough for adults. Like Return Of The Joker it's not geared at one or the other. It's both.

Back in the 1990's I heard a bold opinion that I still don't think is wrong. But a critic, I forget who, said that if Tim Burton had used the script for Mask of the Phantasm, the Batman movie would have made 500 million dollars. And it was still a success by most metrics. But so was Phantom Menace. Compared to the hype it underperformed and underwhelmed. People don't really like to admit this with 30 years hindsight, but it's not a good movie, and very few critics actually rated it highly at the time, much less positively. I feel the same thing might apply to Teen Titans Go To The Movies. While I don't think if they had used this script the movie was have made 500 million dollars, it probably would have been far more successful. There are actual stakes in this movie. And for Pete's sake, I actually sympathize with TGG's Raven's struggle with her demon half. That's a MUCH better hook than wanting to star in a movie to feed into Robin's narcissism.

And if you saw that other movie, you might assume that was the best the writers could come up with as far as high stakes go, but I mean, the characters themselves don't necessarily have to be overly dramatic for me to worry about what happens to them and care about their struggle.

I feel like this movie was so good because Teen Titans was NOT an unimpeachable series. But instead of poking holes in it, the movie sort of just improves it in hindsight. TTG Cyborg getting TT Cyborg to admit there is nothing cooler than a robot superhero body just fixed every single defect from the Cyborg from that show. TTG Cyborg destroyed his only real hang-up. And I love that.

Titans Of Infinite Earths was an amazing concept, and I was shocked by the appearance of the New 52 PG-13 DC Universe Titans, including Sean Maher voicing Nightwing. Here is a not nice opinion: They probably should have had a different TTG Titan slobber over the DTV Titans than Cyborg. Because both versions of Khary Payton's Cyborg are superior in every single way to Shemar Moore's version. When TTG Cyborg is saying that Cyborg make TT Cyborg look as bad as he does, I was nah, you both are better, and never believe differently. Keep you doing you. Shablammo!

TT Raven's mouth doesn't animate that big. Does she know she's fictional or not? That lines raises many questions to me about that series in hindsight.

Weird Al as Darkseid at the end did NOT lead to a cliffhanger. Instead it's a funny tag about how useless our Titans are. I stand by my opinion that Weird Al should play Darkseid in the next Justice League movie should they make another one. Couldn't be worse than Batlfeck.

When the Flock of Ravens names herself "The Unkindness" I was "Awww, yeagh!" Isn't it just amazing the perfect things the English language will line crap up for? This is NOT a perfect franchise, but I almost believe Wolfman and Perez created it all those decades ago to lead up to Raven saying that specific thing in this specific movie. And I think it was worth the wait.

I cannot say enough good things about this. I was literally shocked at how good it was. This should have been the one in theaters. *****.

UPDATE:

It amazes me that the producers of TTG want to ignore this film and say it isn't canon. It's better than anything either that show or the original did. I would not be willing to dismiss Titans On Infinite Earths were I the producers of those specific weekly poo jokes.

Last edited:

CNFan1995

Cartoon Network, Adult Swim and Toonami Fan.
Right after Teen Titans Go!: That's What's Up I saw a promo of New in 2020 and one of the movie premieres it's Teen Titans Go! VS. Teen Titans which is premiering to Cartoon Network in 2020.

How to Make Money as a Kid 2

Spotlight

Sponsored Ads

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I think this is the first time he responded to a tweet from this account.

Also, this came out.

Updated my avatar to Pan Am Railways, which has just been acquired by CSX.
Check out my sig, would you? I realize at this stage of the game I don't want people to read Gilda & Meek & The Un-Iverse because I want money or fame. I wouldn't have posted 34 free issues on a blog if I did. The Aspie in me simply feels that it's really the only way for another person to fully understand me. That matters to me.

Ever wonder what makes Fone Bone tick? Check out the sig.
Wow! Something was updated to represent a beloved tradition in a sweet way? Oh the HORROR!!! :O :O Hershey's Kisses’ classic Christmas bells ad got a makeover — and people are outraged
DuckTales was canceled? Why is it that despite the fact that I didn't love the show I'm super annoyed anyways?

It turns out I dislike crushing potential as much as I do quality.