"Teen Titans Go! To The Movies" Theatrical Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

Rate this movie

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 1 11.1%

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • ***1/2

Votes: 1 11.1%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • **1/2

• *1/2

• Total voters

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
A villain's maniacal plan for world domination sidetracks five teenage superheroes who dream of Hollywood stardom in the Teen Titans' first animated theatrical feature from Warner Bros. Animation, DC Entertainment and Warner Bros. Pictures! Discuss the animated feature - right here!

"They can't save the world... at all."
Teen Titans Go! To The Movies
Release Date:
July 27, 2018
Studio: Warner Bros. Animation
Directors: Aaron Horvath and Peter Rida Michail
MPAA Rating: PG for action and rude humor
Screenwriters: Aaron Horvath and Michael Jelenic
Starring: Scott Menville, Tara Strong, Khary Payton, Hynden Walch, Greg Cipes, Will Arnett, Kristen Bell, Nicolas Cage, Jimmy Kimmel, Lil Yachty, Halsey
Runtime: 93 minutes

Synopsis: It seems to the Teens that all the major superheroes out there are starring in their own movies-everyone but the Teen Titans, that is. But de facto leader Robin is determined to remedy the situation, and be seen as a star instead of a sidekick. If only they could get the hottest Hollywood film director to notice them. With a few madcap ideas and a song in their heart, the Teen Titans head to Tinsel Town, certain to pull off their dream. But when the group is radically misdirected by a seriously super villain and his maniacal plan to take over the Earth, things really go awry. The team finds their friendship and their fighting spirit failing, putting the very fate of the Teen Titans themselves on the line.

Discuss the Teen Titans Go! To The Movies here!

Spoilers are allowed, so those who have yet to see the movie may want to avoid this thread until they have.

Related Threads:
-Teen Titans Go! To The Movies News Thread
-Teen Titans Go! Season 5 Talkback
-Teen Titans Go! News Thread Part 2
-Teen Titans Go! "The Return of Slade" Talkback Thread
-Teen Titans Go! vs. Teen Titans News and Discussion, Part 1
Note: Remember, we appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Last edited:

ShadowStar

Nov 11, 2006
USA
Really enjoyed this film! The majority of the gags worked for me and I was pleased to see that there was a good helping of action!
The mid-credits scene was a wonderful surprise too!

Reactions: atomicbattery

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
May 18, 2006
East Northport
WARNING! Super long and rambly review not only of the film itself but of the history of Teen Titans, thoughts on the TT TV series and other stuff as well inside the spoiler tags.

You know with this movie I do kind of have to ask "how exactly did this come about?" in terms of how of all the movies to come out DC this year, the only other one we're getting outside of Aquaman is this. And honestly the more I thought about it the more I realized not only how it connected with the long history of the Titans themselves, but of one of the themes of this film in particular.

You see back in the late 30's after Batman's popularity the team at what eventually would be DC realized how instantly successful the character was... but the backlash he created due to children being the prime demographic (especially back then) for comics and how they had a murdering, gun totting hero vigilanete as their main lead. And were getting a lot of parental complaints about needing to tone down the violence. Thus they decided to give a reason why they would do so with the creation or Robin the Boy wonder aka the first major side kick and supporting hero of a super hero in the medium. Though Robin changed the dynamic of the comics he also proved incredibly successful and popular right out of the bat and quite honestly I think if it hadn't of been for Robin allowing the DC team to make more lighthearted work with the cape crusader, super heroes might not of lasted until now. Especially since after the end of World War II the huge need for super heroic characters kind of faded and super heroes though still popular were getting less attention then say the romance and western comics now popping up. If it hadn't of been for that shift the medium would of fallen apart. And again for the next 15 years the comics were still popular and obviously other DC creators realized the dynamic duo angle of Batman and Robin was incredibly profitable so we saw other super heroes like Aquaman and Flash get sidekicks of they're own. By the time of the 60's when super hero comics had picked up as being the most successful comic line again thanks to Marvel emerging with it's hold plothera of new characters and DC firing back with they're own as well as relaunches of some of they're favorites, we truly saw the first formation of major super hero teams as well. From the Justice League to the Avengers to yes even the Teen Titans, though at the time it was really just an excuse for all those sidekick characters to get together (even including one not previously seen before Wonder Girl) and form their own book. And though it was liked enough to get a short lived cartoon series, the Teen Titans themselves for awhile weren't seen as a very well loved or heck even serious group of characters. The TT books were a way for the writes to try to appease to the youths of the 60's and even into the 70's which meant a whole lot of corny slang and trying to understand the "kids these days" in ways that meant they didn't really understand them. There were stories and characters created in that time that would prove somewhat successful and lasting but for over a decade the books sort of just felt... there. Part of the DC history but not a part a lot of serious comic creators really cared about. That is until the 80's when Marv Wolfman and George Perez relaunched the Teen Titans into the Titans book. They not only introduced a lot of super popular lasting characters to this day (like Starfire, Raven and Cyborg) as well as relaunching some (as that's the period when Dick Grayson's Robin became Nightwing) but truly brought the titans out of corny silver age and into a more serious bronze age. They were the first to really captalize on the aspect of the titans being this family of younger heroes and playing up the emotional drama and weight of those connections being thrown around to tell a lot of classic stories. From the terror of trigon to the betrayal of Terra (the first character in comics in fact to only ever pretend to be a hero who was always a villain) to of course all the battles with Deathstroke the Terminator aka Slade. These are quite honestly the comics and series people think of when you first hear about the comics Titans as those are not only considered the best, but by far the most important. Since though the Titans themselves still last until today comic wise, they never again found the same impact in the DC Universe as they did before. They've had many relaunches and titles through the 90's and 2000's and have been brought back into this new era with two different teams (a younger group of sidekick Teen Titans and more adult Titans) but quite honestly nowadays if you think of the actual team, you'll think of the media adaptations we have of them.

See in the early 2000's though CN had struck some success with the Justice League cartoon, it was something that was not only based off of series they didn't really have full rights to, but also sort of aimed at... well not an adult audience but obviously older then their key target demographic. Thus why they wanted the next DC series to not only skew lower, but really be the first since well the 80's to not have anything to do with the DCAU. This giving it to Glenn Murakamai encouraging him to be different and go with something unique that had not been tried before. Thus getting the 2003 Teen Titans series which yeah even months before it came out I remember it being very controversial amongst the message board group. Those who had sunk so much time and attention into the DCAU were dissatisfied that the proposed Titans series would not only look and feel nothing like had come before, but not really even be in that universe. There were those who tried denying it but by preview clips it was clear this may of had Robin in it but it wasn't the Dick Grayson or Tim Drake from BTAS or TNBA. As someone who knew mostly about super heroes from the shows then the comics I didn't know really about the Titans history but it was something I actually did look up some to try and get info on these characters and actually found out a fair deal from various DC Info sites. Since though I also kind of wanted it to be part of the DCAU I admit the unique look and feel wasn't totally offsetting and I was more then willing to give it a chance. Which I did and something I and many fans wound up enjoying Granted there were some obvious rough patches in the first season but I slowly grew to really like most of these characters and for certain ones like Starfire and Raven really identify and enjoy their stories and angst as well as the humor and action that was a part of the show. There are still a lot of episodes that I have some real cherished memories of and though there are others I don't it's certainly a fun show to talk about and dive into. And it's one that really did change at least for DC, the animation landscape. It proved you don't need terribly deep connections to the DCAU to prove successful and opened the doors for so many other shows to try their own thing and eventually led to the collapse of the DCAU but opened the door for so many other possibilities and series. And it was one of those successes that went past CN's expectations thus it getting another season when it had originally been ordered only 52. However I still believe that additional season (which honestly was sort of the weakest due to trying to do more serious stories in ways that weren't fun or interesting and exploring a lot of eh scenarios where honestly the best episodes either didn't even feature the team at all or were super extended fight scenes or the controversial finale) was really only made so CN could bridge the gap for their own totally 100% owned merchandisable series Ben 10, thus why the big finale of TT premiered the same day as Ben 10's arrival. Despite it ending though the show was still seen as this amazing piece of 2000's kids entertainment with a feverish fan following even to this day. However as the years went on it became clear that DC had moved away from Teen Titans and this brand, not realizing they were going to dive into it even grander then before and make a Teen Titans show with an even larger impact... though perhaps this time more for the worse then for the better.

See DC when trying to push the DC Nations block on Cartoon Network not only produced some still remembered series for that block (some like Young justice still having an impact to this day) but various shorts. These were meant as just little one minute comedy sketches featuring various DC characters from the Super Pets to Black Lightning's kids to Amethyst Princess of Gem World to The "New" Teen Titans. Pretty much just super chibi formed versions of the 2003 cast done sort of in the style of that show with the same voice actors but again just telling quick form shorts. People wound up digging it and those shorts wound up being really successful, not only acculimating the most of the DC Nation but actually convincing CN to bring back the series... in that short form format. Getting some of the writers of the now ending MAD and a new team they formed Teen Titans Go which though featuring sort of the look and the voices of the 2003 series, was much more it's own thing telling more goofy out there wacky adventures not really about super heroing whatsoever... and became this gigantic megaton hit for the network. And ironically enough despite the idea coming from DC Nation, the fact that this series was much more cheap to produce yet much more popular and could air whenever on the network and not just on a specific block honestly KILLED DC Nation which yeah how often does a block get killed by a series it was birthed from? Honestly at first I was if not a defender of TTG at least more willing to give it slack then other people. Since it did some things I liked with the comedy and even character interactions and though it wasn't the 2003 series, it worked as it's own thing and could make amusing episodes. The problem is the further it went along the more just out there and kind of pandering it became. Seriously you think Johnny Test is the most "think it's clever but is uber pandering to it's target demographic" cartoon ever but TTG just runs with that especially since it can go even further with it's out there cheap lunacy. Which honestly to me not only makes the show overall weaker (even if at least more interesting to talk about) but making it this overplayed, over shown monstrosity does have a negative impact reverberated throughout the entire animation landscape. I'm not saying TTG is entirely the fault for this but... we haven't seen an honest really good super hero cartoon series since TTG and seems like we really won't on regular CN if this is the kind of thing that sells. It's the Michael Bay Transformers or Twilight issue: This is a product that on it's own is kind of bad with some charm or at least it's own personality... that should not of become one of the most popular of it's grouping as it represents the worst of it's specific field in some form and leads to people trying to copy from it which just makes things worse. TTG to me unlike TT is not a show that should of lasted as long as it did as it's still super popular and still going. To the point where it did something no other Cartoon Network series has done in over 16 years: get it's own movie.

Yeah I was shocked but at the same time not too surprised at the announcement last year that there was going to be a Teen Titans Go! Movie. We hadn't seen a Cartoon Network series get it's own theatrical film since the Powerpuff Girls which was considered a major box office bomb who despite being a solid film was marketed along wrong and got a lot of terrible back lash from critics who didn't really understand the show. It made getting any other CN series get to that point impossible even other mammoth hits like Adventure Time which was suppose to have it's own movie that got trapped in development hell and wasn't able to move forward. Yet this movie was which was also oddly enough the first DC Movie based on one of their TV shows to get a full theatrical movie since Batman Mask of the Phantasm over 25 years ago. So not only was something like Teen Titans Go! getting a film over other shows like The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends, Regular Show, Steven Universe (which is getting a TV movie like RS did but not the same thing) etc, but also stuff like Superman The Animated Series or Batman Beyond or Justice League/Unlimted Or Young Justice or even the original 2003 Teen Titans series which only got a DTV Tokyo Special at the end of it's run. But yeah this series was coming to the big screen. Which felt like an extra level of insulting. But one in a weird way I knew I was still going to see and admitted some of the ideas and bits it presented in the lead up worked. Yeah you had random celebrity guests voicing members of the Justice League (which at least may explain why they never talked in the actual TTG series) but you had inspired casting choices like Nicholas Cage as Superman which hey was almost an actual live action movie in the 90's so shows some genius on the casting there. And yeah you had a teaser showcasing one of the big jokes was like a 30 second extended fart but also clever references to other DC properties like how everyone is inspired by Wonder Woman and "if Aquaman can get a movie so can anyone". Which are at least amusing jokes and honestly the idea of this series getting a movie about getting a movie but every other hero not feeling they're worthy of one and having a lot of running meta commentary at least felt like a unique enough idea. Granted we had the super meta goofy hilarious Lego Batman movie deconstructing a lot of DC's darkness, but this was coming from an entirely different source... a sort of actually hated in a totally different way then the DCEU brand. And despite the fact that of all time slots it was picking the exact same weekend last year that Emoji Movie opened to I still checked it out and honestly feel this movie is fairly solid. It's not great and even within it's own field feels like there are some problems worth addressing, is actually fairly solid. Whether you're a fan of the show or not or like me kind of fall inbetween so allow me to talk about specific things this movie does wrong as well as honestly does right.

One thing that really does bother me in the movie is the whole time cycle detour. There are some funny bits in there as I like Starfire calling Jor El and Lara horrible parents and the Titans doing a remix of the crystals (that was weirdly enough one of the better animated bits of this movie) to stop them from blowing up the planet. And honestly bringing up how the old time machine isn't cinematic and needing super rad powers to activate it and the quick montage of stealing Wonder Woman's lasso and getting one of those 6 pack holders stuck on Aquaman and turning back the pre mutated TMNT away from the ooze and getting Batman's parents away from Crime Alley are good bits but then we just cut to a "the future is overrun by villains and no one watches movies" and the Titans just fix all the mistakes and are essentially back to square one. Which means that yeah the whole travel back in time scene that takes up a good 5-10 minutes of the movie though having some funny moments is pretty useless. Which is odd because with this sort of movie I was honestly expecting quite a few more generally useless scenes but this is really the only one as everything else does connect to the emotions or at least loose story going on and is about the characters. This just felt like jokes they wanted to but couldn't work in the context so it sticks out way too much. Especially since thinking about it, there was an easy way to make this work which also erases a plot point from this story. See what should of been done is once the Titans save the Waynes we focus on Robin who suddenly disappears and is now living a totally different live having to work alone at the circus, being harassed and miserable and confused on what's happening. He then sees the others pop up who take him back to the present. They explain that they forgot that by erasing Bruce becoming Batman, they erased Robin becoming his sidekick and thus totally changed his timeline. Cyborg explains quickly making a device to protect them from the effects of time (in this sort of cartoony universe you can just do that) thus they were all still together with they're memories of the original timeine, and returned to a present where they were the only heroes and were all super mega successes with they're own movie franchises which we see small glimpses of. However we also see them sad that Robin isn't around and thus go back to fix the past (leading still to that funny bit of putting the pearls on Martha wayne and pushing her into crime alley to be shot up) because their success doesn't mean anything if Robin isn't there with them. It would tie much more into the theme of these versions of the Titans respecting and wanting what's best for their leader and would make Robin's actions of actually throwing them out of his movie later feel more jerkish from his perspective then you really get in the story as is. Really theme wise even if it doesn't do much plot wise would be important and add to the movie that as is feels like it stops dead to have this tangent before getting back to the main story. And again it's not a bad scene but it just feels so off it's the only scene that feels super useful to everything else going on.

Speaking of that though I actually do like that in this movie the other Titans actually really respect and like Robin and are purposely trying to make his dream come true. Which is weird since in the 2003 Series, Robin was by far my least favorite Titan. Not having read comics he was at first the only one I felt I really knew about but... I was able to really get into the other characters and quite honestly especially in the first season found Robin annoying because of how much "cooler" or better he felt then everyone else who felt on so much lesser of a level then he did. It did balance out better in other seasons but at least for this series I still sort of had a detest for the character and would even make and think of what if stories of the others sort of trashing/digging on him. Which became one of those weird "well your wishes came true" in Teen Titans Go where Robin was often mocked and insulted and the others were seen as so much better then he is because they had powers or weren't creepy obsessive on things and didn't really like him or treat him seriously. Sadly that attitude eventually backfired as they just repeated and bashed in that joke over and over again to the point where I not only actually felt bad for Robin, but even wondered sans status quo why these guys were even a team with him. Even the flashback episode just seemed to be "he inspired them once when they drove him crazy" which still felt like an insult to the character and the team as a core. I think this movie actually strikes a good balance on that. They do crack on him a few times (I never found the whole baby hands funny in the show or the film even if at least in this one it's a plot point for how Robin gets out of a trap later) but pointing out "you're the reason we're a team and are in lives we actually enjoy" and actually do listen to him and encourage him and actually mean it in a genuine way actually works here. I'm glad the writers realized that having everyone else rag on Robin for being a sidekick and then having him team rag on him all the time would just be too bitterly meanspirited so instead here the team actually likes they're leader. It doesn't really go into any of the drama of the old series or anything but it does make me like this version of them as a team. From them cheering him up in the montage song to making that movie of their own (obvious that would come back in the end but at least when it came back was a bit surprising) to actually being sad when they were kicked off the movie (the moment with Starfire hugging him and wishing him success I admit did feel like one of those earned quiet moments I didn't think this movie would pull off) and then joining up again and not wanting to fight possessed Robin and fighting as a team were good. And you know I have to say the final battle with the Giant Slade Bot is quite honestly a far better display of team work and working together then the Justice League movie pulled off against Steppenwolf. Where you don't feel like one character is just so much better then everyone else and could end things instantly (there is a joke with Raven's portal I'll get to later but again works as a joke and even a "well this is why this actually requires a battle" sort of moment) and it requires this actual display of team work but still having individual moments in they're song (especially liked Starfire blowing up the hand and Robin planting those exploding birdarangs) and ending when their combined shot destroyed Slade's bot. They actually did step up the action to make it frantic and speedy and somewhat impactful and honestly TTG when it feels like it can do sort of decent action (not as good as TT 2003 but for it's budget fine) so glad they actually had some moments with that here.

The is something I'm sort of split on. I have to admit the whole "twist villain" is actually handled a lot better here then in The Incredibles 2. Mostly because we still fully have a villain in Slade and the whole "Jade is Slade" is something that's supposed to be pretty obvious and not made as some big mystery we're supposed to find out. Nor does it come with a sympathetic backstory with some sort of half hearted commentary. It's just Slade doing all this so he can take over the world and granted there is commentary on "the heroes being so distracted making movies and going to watch them and not caring as much about fighting crime" but it's obviously not something they take seriously. Though it kind of like the show itself fail on a commentary angle in a way because it feels like it's not digging deep enough to really nail at the heart of the joke. It'd be honestly funnier if we heard from all of these DC characters getting movies just being talked about then actually happening with how DC handles it's movies and only a few really breaking free. Or if there were some more current jokes about some of the other movies. Like when Superman says "I have so many movies it's hard to count" it'd be funnier if it was pointed out he hasn't had a good film since 1980. I mean there are good bits done with him I'll get to later but it feels for as much as this movie is making fun of the process of all of these super hero movies and their universe more could be done with it. I mean like what if at the end the heroes apologize for the Titans admitting that they may be goofs but most of them trying to be grim and serious isn't working and they themselves are seen as jokes to the Marvel heroes. There are some good Marvel jokes here I'll get to but like with the show feels like a lot of the time they just sit on things that could be so much funnier but go with the most basic joke which isn't quite as funny. Not to mention that though I appreciate how in this movie the others actually like Robin and want to help him out... this sort of does feel like the "Robin and the others" Teen Titans Go film. TTG does have an issue balancing it's characters as well but with a more expanded run time we should really get a sense of all of the more then we have since besides the shenanigans bit I don't think we really see the others on their own without Robin for longer then 30 seconds. Really that's something that could be better balanced out: giving them all a bit more character so they aren't just support. This is something I critique with TT and TTG but at least the Trouble in Tokyo movie tried having even little subplots for the other Titans with it's more expanded run time even if there was still more focus on Robin. This could of done so too even if just for more jokes. Especially since without it the whole at least sort of emotional moment of Robin rejecting the others from his movies doesn't really work. Usually in those bits they make the person doing the "I don't want you anymore" feel more in the wrong but here it really does paint the others poorly. Since it's not like Robin was acting like a super diva about the movie when they were all on set and they were just crapping in the prop toilet and messing with the others heroes just because. Heck even when they see the Doomsday weapon and report it to Robin, they still believe Jade as well on it not actually being a weaspon so it's not a "we were trying to do something and you don't believe us" when they themselves still believed the lie. If we had more time on them maybe even little flashes of how in this world they met Robin (I mean the movie obviously plays differently then the main TTG! Timeline since in TTG the Titans know who Slade is and have obviously fought him before despite only meeting him first here so... again different from how the show itself operated) it would make that moment mean more especially if they apologized later for being more goofs and Robin saying that's how the team is and what works for them. They sort of have that at the end but again not giving time to the others making it feel a bit hollow which it really shouldn't.

But honestly this movie does balance out with a lot of solid jokes since though some don't work or were spoiled by marektting there are a lot that do. Raven getting the balloon man to hit himself, the group being confused for the Justice League (again would of been funnier if Balloon Man said he knows Cyborg is in the Justice League and made a joke on how TTG! Cyborg is different from JL movie Cyborg), the song going on as Balloon Man got away before being captured by the JL, the guy who constantly tried stopping the titans at places being called rude and the group's continued annoyance with him, pretty much any joke where Raven goes "I can make a portal you know" (especially when Robin admits he forgets that which... let's be fair: TT 2003 is as much if not more guilty of this then TTG) to get them someplace or take out the other heroes or try to take out the Slade Bot but it's too big for it, honestly anything with the Challengers of the Unknown (which yeah are an actual super hero DC team... which honestly is funnier if you don't know that and then find it out later), the Batman Utility Belt movie, Cyborg telling Slade to "turn to the camera and say something inapporipraite", Slade's mental manipulation (honestly that only works because of Will Arnett's delivery and feels like he's improving some bits like how serious Robin stares at him later or how exactly he should turn around to look behind him), Robin's Lion King dream ending with him being booed, the 80's Overly Happy Song especially when they ran over the bear that was singing it killing him and Robin going "I think his dad is a cop! RuN!" and they take off. Like wow that's one of those super dark jokes I didn't think they would get away with in this PG film but they did well enough. Anyway other good jokes include mocking the Martha bit from BvS but then Superman asking his and Batman's father's name, Jade admitting she knows Clark and Bruce's secret identity, Robin's song about what his super hero movie would have especially saying his cape would be CGI (I kind of hoped they did more with Control Freak then that one little gag though like at least an ending credit stinger of him trying to go all cinemasins on this movie and getting beat up by the Titans), "who knew trying to change the future would be bad?", Slade's cracks about people in the theater needing to turn off their phones and trying to mentally manipulate the Titans in their actually being serious and being shocked at how Robin was somehow able to take off his shirt without him noticing, Slade pointing out that super arch nemises are allowed to get away so the hero can stop them later, The Titans prank calling superman about "Lex Luthor's land ownership scheme" so they can eat all of the food, how Starfire tumbles under the tablecloth while the others get out in better ways, kryptonite throwing party, Raven admitting the whole Slade/Jade thing was obvious, the others believing Jade about Robin having super dirrehea and when he shows up applauding him for powering through it, Slade trying to convince Robin to look at his movie, and the ending where Robin is trying to give a speech about heroism but the others just wanting to get to the credits saying they don't want to teach a lesson and then Robin saying "kids ask your parents where babies come from!" before the credits role. Oh and of course the two Stan Lee cameos which I have to admit... are the best Stan Lee cameos since Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2 I've seen. Because you expect him to be in a Marvel movie but to do it in a DC movie like that and to have it pointed out it's DC and then later saying him not caring as he just loves cameos is great.

Oh and speaking of cameos I want to briefly talk about the opening and ending as well. This movie opens with a little short directed by Lauren Faust about Batgirl trying to stop Mr. Freeze before her other friends get to him first. The chasing and running is amusing this is mostly noticeable because this is probably the "pilot presentation" of what's going to be the DC Super Hero Girls series. Because yeah it's clear from even this that it's going to have a different sense of humor and pacing then the shorts and movies that will probably lead more to a bit out there wacky comedy then the honestly more vanilla presentation the shorts do which is nice. Also in the mid end credits we see a tease of the 2003 Teen Titans having a brief clip hinting that they will be back as even the end credits saying things will continue on Cartoon Network. I know TTG is making an episode dealing with the fallout of the movie and I guess the tower being fixed up but I also think this is hinting that at the very least there will be a crossover between TTG and 2003 Teen Titans. I know supposedly if this movie does like 250 million overseas there will be a TT Season 6 or something but honestly at the very least now they owe us a crossover. Because even from this brief clip it does seem like the 2003 series knows it's been away for awhile and is looking to reconnect and obviously everyone in this universe has forgotten about it so it'd be interesting to see the more serious titans having to interact with their TTG selves.

Overall there was a good amount of laughs in this movie, an actual connection between the team that I really liked and some good commentary. The plot is wafer thin and it does feel like more time could of been given to connect the teams and yeah give a point to that whole time travel bit but... those are my biggest complaints really and it still makes it a solid movie. Nothing outstanding but honestly outside of Lego Batman and Wonder Woman, this is the best DC Theatrical film this decade. Honestly makes me realize how I honestly was a bit too lientant on other DCEU films I've seen that weren't as well thought out or entertaining as this is. And this comes from what many would say is an equally as "garbage" source at least in terms of Teen Titans Go! itself but... the movie is still enjoyable and works better then Justice League or Suicide Squad do even if you haven't watched the show before.

Commander Beeper

Watchdog
Apr 11, 2015
There's been a lot of talk about a certain post-credits scene in the movie featuring the original Teen Titans, and the text "To be continued on Cartoon Network".

Personally, I'm not getting my hopes up about a Teen Titans revival, though I read that during a TTG convention panel, they said they were thinking about doing a TT vs. TTG episode, so that might be what it's alluding to (even though I think they should save that for the series finale).

DeanBurrito25

Jan 15, 2009
mattdeanart.com
I got off work early today to my complete surprise, so I saw this at a matinee showing, something that I otherwise wouldn't typically be able to do on a Friday afternoon.

And you know what? It was a lot of fun!

If The Lego Batman movie was a collective potshot at Batman lore, then Go To The Movies is a collective potshot towards not only towards DC Comics history, but also the Marvel Cinematic Universe, animated movie tropes in general, and even TTG itself. There's also a fair number of neat action sequences and non-wacky moments that I didn't expect; it felt a more action-comedy than pure comedy like the show itself is. At least no one can say that the Go! Titans can't kick some butt when they need to. Even if you don't know anything about TTG or really watch the show (which, given the show's complete disregard for continuity, is kind of a given), it's still a great way to kill 90 minutes.

There's also a strange novelty in watching a mainstream movie animated entirely in Flash on the big screen. I've always wondered what that would be like, and I guess it took Teen Titans Go to find out.

Some of my favorite parts included a gratuitous Stan Lee cameo, an Animaniacs(!!) name drop (which I was secretly hoping for when the Titans went on the Warner Brothers lot but never actually expected), and Robin's last words in the movie before the credits role, which I dare not spoil even in a spoiler. It got the biggest laugh out of me by far. There were also a few musical sequences with various art shifts, which was cool to see; I distinctly remember seeing Titmouse listed as one of the studios.

And yeah, even though it was mentioned out of spoiler, the OG Teen Titans cameo made me audibly gasp. Didn't expect that, nor the "To Be Continued On Cartoon Network" card. I wonder what it's alluding to. Pretty sure Tara Strong confirmed that the original series could potentially be revived if Go To The Movies does well, though maybe it's hinting at something else. Anything goes with Teen Titans Go, truly.

Shout out to the new Warner Bros. Animation logo (which features both classic Daffy and Porky) and an animated short staring Lauren Faust's DC Super Girls! The latter was especially an unexpected surprise, albeit it was a bit short. Suffice to say, I'm excited to see more of that, too.

zoombie

Jan 23, 2007
New York
Maybe I am over thinking things.

So Jade Wilson is Slade in disguise. But in this universe, could the disguise Slade used for this fictional woman, could her design be based on another member of the Wilson family. Did Slade design her after one of his baby mamas, either his ex wife who is Grant and Joey's mom, or Rose's mom, or is she what Slade in visions what a grown up Rose would look like?

Anyway I wonder if the people that wrote the movie was the 2003 series.

If so some of these references might be intentional. Slade's whole divide and conquer by dividing Robin from the other Titans, that is the whole plot of season 1. And the climax of brainwash Robin attacking the Titans that could be a reference to the season 1 finale when Robin was forced to turn against the Titans.

Last edited:

Eldorado

May 21, 2014
Indianapolis
If so some of these references might be intentional. Slade's whole divide and conquer by dividing Robin from the other Titans, that is the whole plot of season 1. And the climax of brainwash Robin attacking the Titans that could be a reference to the season 1 finale when Robin was forced to turn against the Titans.
Not to mention the very first episode was called "Divide And Conquer".

Anyway I just saw the movie and I REALLY hope the haters of the show watch it, they don't know what they're missing.

Nobodyman

Sep 11, 2009
U.S.A.
Already posted my thoughts on the film in the pre-release thread (tl;dr it's good), but here are some thoughts and observations about specific parts of the film.

-While this movie does have some cool musical numbers, there were perhaps a few too many of them. About the 30 minute mark was when it felt they were going into "Hey kids! Pay attention to us!" territory.
-Surprised that no one has mentioned the Titans gleefully shoving young Bruce's parents into the alley and them being shot to death offscreen while Bruce watches in horror. Like...holy s**t that was dark, but...also hilarious.
-This movie had one of the best cracks at Dawn of Justice I've ever seen. "Yawn of Justice".
-I like BB/Rae, but that moment was really weird and random.
-For some reason, they didn't have the "Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Forever" lines when he was chasing the Titans. A shame, since that was one of the funnier jokes from the previews.
-Seeing the "original" Teen Titans in the credits was cool and all, but...don't promise what you can't deliver, guys.

Also, don't know about you guys, but when I went past the ticket booth at the theater they gave me a free Teen Titans coloring/game activity sheet. Yeah, thanks guys, as if I don't feel awkward enough being a 30-year-old man seeing this movie alone.

Dreyfus

Oct 18, 2009
CA
A whole lot of fun. Haven't seen the show for a while, so a nice reminder of the comedic energy I always loved about it. I enjoyed the story of Robin trying to get his movie made and his struggles therein. I thought the movie did a good job balancing the comedy with plot and character beats too. Gags were pretty funny, the only thing that got a bit repetitive was that Titans song coming back at the ending battle.

DeanBurrito25

Jan 15, 2009
mattdeanart.com
Here's the WB Animation logo I mentioned that plays in front of "Go To The Movies".

Now I just want an all new theatrical Looney Tunes short utilizing this style and animation.

Dudley

Staff member
Aug 10, 2003
East Coast of USA
www.dtoons.com
According to Deadline, the movie cost around $10 million to make. I definitely see them making that money back at least, but I wonder how much it’s going to need to make for it to become “game changer” status.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pooky

Jul 14, 2010
UK
I think the most likely scenario is that it will inspire further movie adaptations of contemporary cartoons. If these perform well enough on a consistent basis, it may inspire someone to test the waters with another 2d animated film. I don't think it's particularly likely, but we can hope!

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
May 18, 2006
East Northport
Well supposedly according to Tara Strong it would take a 250 million overall box office haul (both domestic and foreign) to get a Teen Titans Season 6 going

Which if you saw the movie you know at least we're going to see the 2003 Teen Titans back in some form even if not another season down the line

Which I don't think is that likely but yeah this will still make a profit. Granted 2D animated movies do have a very uphill battle to climb and this one despite it's solid reviews across the board isn't going to hold a candle to Mission Impossible Fallout this weekend but it will easily make back it's budget and marketing cost. Of course we do know there are other 2D based on TV movies coming out in the next couple of years supposedly (Bob's Burgers, The Loud House, a third Spongebob movie) but I don't see this as the film to really make studios seriously consider doing major non CG animated movies, let alone based on original projects. Especially since if this one does really well it can also be attributed to being a super hero movie, which animated or not do tend to dominate box offices or at least have an edge compared to a lot of non super hero flicks these days.

mimitchi33

I love Aloysius Pig!
Jul 5, 2010
I loved it too. The songs were good and it felt like the Equestria Girls films. Here were the funniest parts for me:
  • The trailer fakeout scene where the gag was that it kept saying "Batman's sidekick is getting a movie", Robin getting excited and showed something stupid that doesn't deserve a movie, ending with "Coming (word that rhymes with "soon" related to the subject of the movie)".
  • The Lion King spoof. Wasn't expecting that!
  • Robin: The Movie.
  • Beast Boy and Cyborg singing whenever people pooped in the prop toilet.
  • Stan Lee's cameos.
  • "Ask your parents where babies come from!"

In my theater, there was a birthday party of kids. They went crazy once the movie finished! They must have loved it!

JTOONSAnimation

Jul 24, 2016
As of this post the movie has made $4.3 million dollars. This has led Warner Bros to lower expected box office from $19 million to $10 million. I know this won't be a box office bomb, but it wont be a box office success.

Either way season six probably still will happen, I mean they've already gone this far with teasing it, might as well make it and get it over with.

Eldorado

May 21, 2014
Indianapolis
As of this post the movie has made $4.3 million dollars. This has led Warner Bros to lower expected box office from $19 million to $10 million. I know this won't be a box office bomb, but it wont be a box office success.
I suppose that's better then the movie failing.

Keep in mind this was only just Friday's box office numbers. Who know what today and tomorrow will bring?

JTOONSAnimation

Jul 24, 2016
I suppose that's better then the movie failing.

Keep in mind this was only just Friday's box office numbers. Who know what today and tomorrow will bring?
It was actually from the Thursday night previews and Friday, $1 million and $3.4 million respectively, but yeah it could bring in a lot more this weekend.

zoombie

Jan 23, 2007
New York
Here's the WB Animation logo I mentioned that plays in front of "Go To The Movies".

Now I just want an all new theatrical Looney Tunes short utilizing this style and animation.
I wish the people at Disney liked their "duck" as much as WB likes its duck.

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

2019 feels like a bad year to talk about SpongeBob in public. If you dare say anything bad about seasons 1-3 you’ll be destroyed. Also, there’s a controversy going on with this character: Nurse Bazooka
I wonder if there are any "zombie channels" within WarnerMedia's portfolio that can be flipped.
Ahh, finally, the weekend is here. And this isn't just any old weekend. This is the weekend that SpongeBob and Patrick go camping. Wouldn't it be great if they got lost in the woods and never came back?
The Aladdin remake is one of few films that I am actively hoping underperforms. The more we can convince Disney to stop giving animation the finger with these remakes, the better.