"Teen Titans Go! To The Movies" Theatrical Feature Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolEric158

She rocks both ways.
http://deadline.com/2017/09/it-sequ...mber-2019-release-andy-muschietti-1202176651/

While the article mostly talks about the upcoming It sequel, an interesting tidbit was found within the article at the end.

"In addition, Warner Bros. announced today that the untitled animation film on June 1 next year has moved to July 27 and is now known as Teen Titans Go!"

So much like Spongebob, My Little Pony, and The Loud House, the Titans are getting a theatrical film next summer.

Understandable, considering how huge the show is with kids, but what say you? Any interest or thoughts?

Toon4Thought

Giving a slightly closer look.
I'm... quite confused. TTG is a show that, love it or hate it, very heavily relies on working within the TV limitations. It doesn't try to do more than what it knows it can handle. So, I really don't see how this kind of format can even translate to a theatrical film at all. Maybe this is one of those Planes-level projects where it's not too much higher-budget than TV or even a limited run film? The fact it was announced on relatively short notice does suggest as such.

I also find it interesting that this announcement kind of cements that TTG has become Warner Bros' Spongebob, despite all the backlash it gets from many a person online. I know there's still the fact that the kids love it and all, and it's not like there isn't any adult appeal at all... but most of the cartoons I remember getting movies are ones that were generally at least enjoyed all across the board, not specifically the kids.

Also, you know people are going to call out CN for not making a movie out of Steven Universe or even something like Gumball (not to mention the Adventure Time one was I guess canned) solely to have another reason to hate CN, even though their involvement in the film will prob be next to none.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
OK...getting over my shock, all I can say is that they really need to up their writing game for this one.

TTG can be pretty funny and clever - but many episode, even with the ten-minute limit, can sometimes drag a bit, or get slightly tired by the end. So a movie that will probably be at least 90 minutes? Hmm.

Toon4Thought

OK...getting over my shock, all I can say is that they really need to up their writing game for this one.

TTG can be pretty funny and clever - but many episode, even with the ten-minute limit, can sometimes drag a bit, or get slightly tired by the end. So a movie that will probably be at least 90 minutes? Hmm.

I get the feeling they do know better than to do that, but even given they up their game, I'm not sure what they could do to merit the cinema treatment. It's kind of akin to Doug's First Movie or the Teacher's Pet movie (how in the world did the latter even happen anyway?), and it'll probably be on the same level as those too. I can only really conclude that this will be either limited release or another semi-decent yet generic "TV turned to cinema" film.

ToonJay723

Staff member
It will be interesting to see how well this does. Animated movies based on animated series don't do spectacular unless they're cultural icons like Rugrats, Pokemon, SpongeBob, or The Simpsons. I don't think TTG has reached that status. Maybe if they keep it low budget, it should turn in a decent profit like The Recess Movie.

Toon4Thought

I can only imagine what's going to happen when this news becomes widely known...

I don't think I want to imagine, solely because I know for a fact CN will be very much misblamed for this and people are going to be acting like it's really in the same ballpark as something like "The Emoji Movie".

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
... Okay. If it's something like the Night Begins to Shine 4 parter, I'm in.

Still, it's a weird time to release another movie with the Death of Superman probably coming out around then, too. They usually don't release stuff so close to each other.

Toon4Thought

... Okay. If it's something like the Night Begins to Shine 4 parter, I'm in.

Still, it's a weird time to release another movie with the Death of Superman probably coming out around then, too. They usually don't release stuff so close to each other.

Oh yeah, that's a good point. I feel that one worked in a style over substance kind of way.

As for the timing thing, I kind of feel like this isn't even going to have a huge theatrical presence anyway.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Oh yeah, that's a good point. I feel that one worked in a style over substance kind of way.

As for the timing thing, I kind of feel like this isn't even going to have a huge theatrical presence anyway.
Then again, not like the movie and home video divisions communicate and plan to avoid stepping on each other's feet.

TylerS

Shame that Samurai Jack and Adventure Time both have had movies planned but got more or less canceled while this ugly show that isn't funny enough for 11 mins is getting a full length movies in the cinemas.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
I get the feeling they do know better than to do that, but even given they up their game, I'm not sure what they could do to merit the cinema treatment. It's kind of akin to Doug's First Movie or the Teacher's Pet movie (how in the world did the latter even happen anyway?)

To be fair to Doug's First Movie not only was it at least based on a plotline that was built up over the course of the last season (the Loch Ness Monster of Bluffington) but it was suppose to originally just be a DTV film that went directly to video. Disney only changed it last minute to theater with how profitable the Rugrats movie was so I guess some exec at Disney thought "hey Doug used to be a Nicktoon as well it could make some more money for us in theaters" and that not panning out. As for Teacher's Pet I think it was Disney TV's last attempt at trying to turn one of their TV series into a film back in the late 90's through early 2000's when a lot of studios were trying to crank out flicks after again the Rugrats movie did so well. This was Disney's last real attempt at this as yeah we never saw another one of their series get a theatrical film after that. Even their most popular in the last 10 years Phineas and Ferb only got talks for a movie and a possible release date but nothing really came of it.

As for why this is getting a movie besides the fact that it seems studios are trying again with turning cartoons into films after how popular Spongebob Sponge Out of Water did? Well I think DC is trying to really appeal to their young kid crowd as though Lego Batman wasn't as super monstorous a hit as say Lego Movie it still did really well and if Legos themselves aren't too profitable anymore (which Lego Ninjago seems to indicate) why not get some cash through other DC brands? Especially since the one night theater premieres of DTVs have been doing well with Killing Joke (profit wise not review wise) and Batman and Harley Quinn so why not captalize on that.

Personally I am sort of split on this if it does wind up happening since yeah in this day and age you can say you're releasing a movie but unless you have actual production done on it, still just kind of words and nothing else. If it does happen I am glad we are actually getting more "2D" animated movies starring actual voice actors and not just star studded CGI flicks like nearly every other animated film that comes out. Granted I'm sure there will be stars in this movie but the main characters will still be voiced by Tara Strong, Hylden Walch, Scott Menville, Khary Payton and Greg Cripes which yeah doesn't really happen in terms of animated films nowadays. Plus if they are staying true the spirit of TTG it will honestly be more subversive and not have the attempts of moral and meanings like some other animated movies. Since yeah if pulled off half heartedly like say the Emoji Movie those are just terrible irritating and obnoxious to see in an animated flick. Of course there's the fact that TTG doesn't have IMHO a good batting average when it comes to it's most high quality episodes vs it's low quality ones and the fact that it does seem pretty insulting this gets a movie over other CN properties. As others have stated this may get a movie over Samurai Jack (though honestly the AS season 5 is a better ending at least story wise then a movie could of done) and Adventure Time does feel weak. But also think about this: if TTG has a movie come out in theaters, it will only be the second DC animated series to have a theatrical film spinoff after Batman: Mask Of The Phantasm. Yeah no other animated DC series has had a theatrical film in the last 20 something years that wasn't again just a special one day showing of a DTV film. Heck this would even predate a live action Teen Titans having a movie so kind of messed up in that regards. I would like to be optomstic and hope that the team is bringing their A game to this movie (maybe that's why a season 5 hasn't been announced yet despite obviously there going to be one for TTG: They're focusing their efforts on the movie first before season 5) and for it to be good but eh guess we'll have to see on that front.

Scrappy-Fan92

Well, this is surprising. I'm curious to see how the writers will fare with a feature-length plot. If The Lego Batman Movie hadn't already done it, I would've suggested this film be a full-on deconstruction of modern DC movie tropes.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
To be fair to Doug's First Movie not only was it at least based on a plotline that was built up over the course of the last season (the Loch Ness Monster of Bluffington) but it was suppose to originally just be a DTV film that went directly to video. Disney only changed it last minute to theater with how profitable the Rugrats movie was so I guess some exec at Disney thought "hey Doug used to be a Nicktoon as well it could make some more money for us in theaters" and that not panning out. As for Teacher's Pet I think it was Disney TV's last attempt at trying to turn one of their TV series into a film back in the late 90's through early 2000's when a lot of studios were trying to crank out flicks after again the Rugrats movie did so well. This was Disney's last real attempt at this as yeah we never saw another one of their series get a theatrical film after that. Even their most popular in the last 10 years Phineas and Ferb only got talks for a movie and a possible release date but nothing really came of it.

As for why this is getting a movie besides the fact that it seems studios are trying again with turning cartoons into films after how popular Spongebob Sponge Out of Water did? Well I think DC is trying to really appeal to their young kid crowd as though Lego Batman wasn't as super monstorous a hit as say Lego Movie it still did really well and if Legos themselves aren't too profitable anymore (which Lego Ninjago seems to indicate) why not get some cash through other DC brands? Especially since the one night theater premieres of DTVs have been doing well with Killing Joke (profit wise not review wise) and Batman and Harley Quinn so why not captalize on that.

Personally I am sort of split on this if it does wind up happening since yeah in this day and age you can say you're releasing a movie but unless you have actual production done on it, still just kind of words and nothing else. If it does happen I am glad we are actually getting more "2D" animated movies starring actual voice actors and not just star studded CGI flicks like nearly every other animated film that comes out. Granted I'm sure there will be stars in this movie but the main characters will still be voiced by Tara Strong, Hylden Walch, Scott Menville, Khary Payton and Greg Cripes which yeah doesn't really happen in terms of animated films nowadays. Plus if they are staying true the spirit of TTG it will honestly be more subversive and not have the attempts of moral and meanings like some other animated movies. Since yeah if pulled off half heartedly like say the Emoji Movie those are just terrible irritating and obnoxious to see in an animated flick. Of course there's the fact that TTG doesn't have IMHO a good batting average when it comes to it's most high quality episodes vs it's low quality ones and the fact that it does seem pretty insulting this gets a movie over other CN properties. As others have stated this may get a movie over Samurai Jack (though honestly the AS season 5 is a better ending at least story wise then a movie could of done) and Adventure Time does feel weak. But also think about this: if TTG has a movie come out in theaters, it will only be the second DC animated series to have a theatrical film spinoff after Batman: Mask Of The Phantasm. Yeah no other animated DC series has had a theatrical film in the last 20 something years that wasn't again just a special one day showing of a DTV film. Heck this would even predate a live action Teen Titans having a movie so kind of messed up in that regards. I would like to be optomstic and hope that the team is bringing their A game to this movie (maybe that's why a season 5 hasn't been announced yet despite obviously there going to be one for TTG: They're focusing their efforts on the movie first before season 5) and for it to be good but eh guess we'll have to see on that front.
You bring up an interesting point about the rarity of 2-D animated theatrical films. I'm wondering if they are going to do like SpongeBob and Friendship Is Magic and have the movie CGI 3-D animated. Thinking more about it, I'd be surprised if they didn't go that route.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I mean I can get being annoyed with hate-watching and parasocial trailer bashing. It’s just undoubtedly peculiar to be involved with an adult cartoon remake of Good Times and be super defensive about it instead of understanding.
Nick KCA press site is now gone

How about Mike Pollock as the ideal voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman?
Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?

Featured Posts