"Teen Titans Go!" Season Five Talkback (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

Rate this season

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • ***1/2

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • **1/2

• *1/2

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
It’s very random to have people move to Stockton. From my experience that is one of the most crime heavy US cities.
Which was probably the joke. It was still preferable to living in the same city as the Titans.

Teen Titans Go! "Stockton, CA!"

Did not dig that. At all.

They are poking fun at the most annoying thing about the show without realizing how much it actually sucks. But the Titans aren't actually heroes. In any other show they'd be the villains. The title of hero seems to be designated to them randomly and not through any actual virtue on their end. They are all terrible people. Cyborg's idea of "aggressive driving" demonstrates that clearly. Because he's supposedly the Nice Titan.

And that's not fun to think about and realize it's true. It sort of works if they are going up against somebody like Brother Blood, but if they are actually hurting and angering the citizens of Jump City it's infuriating instead of hilarious. Brother Blood makes a good put-upon foil. Innocent people do not.

The problem with this show is that it is too cynical and jaded to be enjoyable. And that was one of its most cynical episodes in awhile. *.

Pretty cool to find out Hynden Walch wrote this episode.
Didn't know that. Still thought the episode was terrible.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
It’s very random to have people move to Stockton. From my experience that is one of the most crime heavy US cities.
I was thinking the in-joke was since they had to deal with super crime so much in Jump City, regular crime wasn't a non-starter to them. But then again, they went to Stockton and not Oakland.I think stats have proven crime is 95-7% worse than in other nearby cities compared to Stockton. But lately Stockton has been going through something of real state boom after the city's crash a few years back from homelessness, crime, and corruption because it's one of the last places with affordable homes so millennials are heading there in droves. I suspect since real estate is a hobby of Jelenic's, that might have been his idea.

Disasterwarning999

May 15, 2019
Middle Of Nowhere
Hey I was wondering if anybody would like to hear my ideas for TTG episodes. I've got quite a few that I think could work as actual episodes if the show continues. Some are a bit cynical while others are a bit more lighthearted and just silly in general. Some even include villains from the original series. I don't know if there's a proper thread for that or not but I'd really like to share them here if I could. I'm working on them as spec scripts and would like to do tv writing for real some day. Let me know which ones could work as episodes and which ones need more workshoping. I'd appreciate the feedback. Thanks! :)

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
A Valid Location
Hey I was wondering if anybody would like to hear my ideas for TTG episodes. I've got quite a few that I think could work as actual episodes if the show continues. Some are a bit cynical while others are a bit more lighthearted and just silly in general. Some even include villains from the original series. I don't know if there's a proper thread for that or not but I'd really like to share them here if I could. I'm working on them as spec scripts and would like to do tv writing for real some day. Let me know which ones could work as episodes and which ones need more workshoping. I'd appreciate the feedback. Thanks! :)
Please use the Story Board to post your story ideas.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
A Valid Location
Tune in to a new Teen Titans Go! episode, tonight at 6:00PM ET on Cartoon Network!

Teen Titans Go! "What's Opera, Titans?"
Episode Debut - May 20th, 2019

Robin surprises the Titans with a trip to the opera but they soon fall asleep, and all dream about starring in their own operas.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
Definite rehash of past episodes but interesting set of nods as usual like Robo-Cop as a toilet, "Cats", "Ride of the Valkyries" (unexpected cameo of Gumdrop Goblin and Christopher), "Flower Duet", and I think "Sorceror's Apprentice" in Robin's one. lol Alfred got stiffed with clean up.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
Teen Titans Go! "What's Opera, Titans?"

I love Cyborg puking out the popcorn at the beginning.

The backgrounds in the cat segment were strongly reminiscent of Garfield.

Toilet Cop is the kind of show Brandon Tarkikoff would have greenlit for NBC in the 1980's. I'm barely exaggerating. NBC in the 80's was a hot garbage factory.

I found the premise mostly boring, to be honest. **1/2.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
A Valid Location
Tune in to a new Teen Titans Go! episode, tonight at 6:00PM ET on Cartoon Network!

Teen Titans Go! "Forest Pirates"
Episode Debut - May 27th, 2019

The Titans are at Super Hero Summer Camp for the week and they may need to add another teammate to win the big canoe race.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

zoombie

Jan 23, 2007
New York
Bumble Bee as 6th Titan, okay I give is a chance. As for this episode, the poor HIVE, I feel so bad for them.

I did see a promo, Bumble Bee trying to hook up Robin with Wonder Girl, I am not a fan of that pairing, though I am not a fan of shipping this version of Robin with anybody, no girl deserves that, anyway in Wonder Girl's, Robin and Wonder Girl they have had a brother / sister relationship in the comics I have read, so I am not sure I writers know what they doing there.

Otaku-sempai

Sep 10, 2010
Lackawanna, NY
I did see a promo, Bumble Bee trying to hook up Robin with Wonder Girl, I am not a fan of that pairing, though I am not a fan of shipping this version of Robin with anybody, no girl deserves that, anyway in Wonder Girl's, Robin and Wonder Girl they have had a brother / sister relationship in the comics I have read, so I am not sure I writers know what they doing there.
We aren't getting Cartoon Network these days, so I haven't seen much of TTG! Was this Donna Troy's Wonder Girl? 'Cause Dick and Donna definitely had a brother/sister vibe.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
^Yes, only Donna Troy so far but she was only in the previews after the episode ended. She wasn't in this episode. For the heroes competing, it was the Teen Titans, HIVE, Wonder Twins, Superboy, Miss Martian, Power Girl, Artemis, Kid Flash, Amethyst, Detective Chimp, Krypto, Animal Man, Zatanna, Batgirl, and Supergirl. The spectators were Kilowog, Swamp Thing, Red Tornado, Booster Gold, Deadman, Jonah Hex. Batman was there to set off the race, he fired his grapnel gun instead of a standard gun (naturally).

Neat, special title sequence. Like the island one but they're doing this one weekly.

They've done Ghostbusters references before but I thought it was cool they did designs based on The Real Ghostbusters. And Egon looking at a Titans Communicator. :D

Reactions: Cartoonfan13

Otaku-sempai

Sep 10, 2010
Lackawanna, NY
Ah, thanks Yojimbo! I knew that it was Donna who cameoed in the old show and appeared in the spin-off comic, though I see that her look was updated for Teen Titans Go!

1559007978915.png

1559007929048.png

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
You're welcome. She looked a bit different than that TTG design you posted but still the red suit.
wondergirl.jpg

I think Bumblebee's design might have been spruced up a little bit, too, from her recurring look on TTG. But she does debut her armor when she shrinks.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
Teen Titans Go! "Forest Pirates"

Nice job spoiling the 6th Titan in the opening titles, show.

Bumblebee is a good choice and a bad choice for the 6th Titan. Before we get to that, let's talk a little bit about the show saying that a long-running series adds a new character only when they are out of ideas. Bliss on The Powerpuff Girlss was overhyped, as was the fifth Ninja Turtle Venus De Milo. But you don't even have to go to superhero stuff to see a show jump the shark with a new character. Cousin Oliver is the best example, although some people weirdly think that about Scrappy Doo. And the less said about the Great Gazoo the better. The show could have had some fun exploring shark-jumping tropes had they so chosen. Instead of satirizing jumping the shark, they decided to actually jump the shark instead.

There is something very good about Bumblebee being the 6th Titan that I doubt she will get the credit for: But the best thing about choosing her is that due to the original series and season 3, Bumblebee as a character already had a strong tie to this version of the characters. Cyborg more than anyone, but Bumblebee has been a major part of the franchise for years, even if Teen Titans Go hasn't done much with her. It feels a lot less like a stunt casting if the character isn't actually new and has been around for awhile.

That being said, you know why Bumblebee doesn't work, right? It's not because she's not a degenerate or because she's super positive. Both of those things are also true for Starfire. The problem is she doesn't have a strong personality, or ANY real personality of note. Granted, it's only the first episode, but if the show were doing it right, they'd set up something interesting right off the bat. The personalities on the original series were actually quite dreadful. You can complain about how crazy and annoying this Robin is, (and he is) the Robin from the original series was just plain boring, and he was totally lame. I may hate this version of Robin, but he is never dull. And that goes for the other Titans, whose personalities have gotten more arch and extreme in this incarnation of the show. The personalities didn't matter as much on the old show. Which is weird because most people prefer that to this. But it's the fact that these versions actually provoke a reaction in me, good or bad, which is why I think this show was way more watchable and interesting than the original. And Bumblebee is dull right off the bat.

I think the show took the understandable tack of choosing a blank character who would react to the craziness instead messing with the actual formula. And if you aren't even going to try to mess with the formula there's no reason to give us a 6th Titan. I think Aqualad or Ravager, already major personalities and jerks, would have been better choices than Bumblebee just because they would have added an extra element of "drama" to the team, and given everyone an excuse not to get along. A nice character will probably wind up doing the opposite which is why shows adding extra characters jumps the shark in the first place.

I don't expect to enjoy this summer very much. ***.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Saw the Descendants short Audrey's Royal Return. I will not miss this franchise. That was a disaster.
I'd tell Pumpkin Spice to go back where he came from but I'm not sure he'd still fit in the bottom of an outhouse.
Happy 2nd anniversary to what I believe is Disney’s best program, Parker Plays.
So now entire three and a half minute long music videos count as ads?? No thanks, YouTube.

#StopThisMadness
Radical Buster wrote on Spaceman's profile.
I really like your avatar. Violet Evergarden ranks pretty high on my list of favorite animes from last year, alongside Devilman Crybaby and Megalo Box.