TDI characters background

The Overlord

I have heard some people on the internet make guesses as to the ethnic background of many of the TDI characters, many seems to think Heather is part Asian, Courtney is Metis, Katie is Filipino, Noah is Indian, Eva is Russian or German and Izzy has some sort of Irish background. Do you think there is any truth to these claims?

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
I have heard some people on the internet make guesses as to the ethnic background of many of the TDI characters, many seems to think Heather is part Asian, Courtney is Metis, Katie is Filipino, Noah is Indian, Eva is Russian or German and Izzy has some sort of Irish background. Do you think there is any truth to these claims?

I don't think that Heather is Asian. I think that she just has the narrow eyes because she's the "mean girl". I assumed that Courtney was African American and Katie was either African American or some sort of Pacific islander. Eva could possibly be of Russian decent, but I haven't seen any evidence that Izzy is Irish, unless once counts her mentioning of her tempestuous family upbringing.

Dudley

Staff member

Strange....that's the second time I heard someone think Heather's asian. Since this show relies on stereotypes, I think they'd make it a little more obvious if she was.

According to Wikipedia, Eva's Polish-American. Though the official site is vague and just say she's from Eastern Europe.

The Overlord

I don't think that Heather is Asian. I think that she just has the narrow eyes because she's the "mean girl". I assumed that Courtney was African American and Katie was either African American or some sort of Pacific islander. Eva could possibly be of Russian decent, but I haven't seen any evidence that Izzy is Irish, unless once counts her mentioning of her tempestuous family upbringing.

I don't think Heather is Asian either, she seems totally white to me. I think Izzy might be Irish Canadian because of the hair. I think Courtney is Metis though.

Strange....that's the second time I heard someone think Heather's asian. Since this show relies on stereotypes, I think they'd make it a little more obvious if she was.

Its not me, people on the Internet say that all the time, but I don't think the creators want to rely on *ethnic* stereotypes for this show though.

Sam Hill

People think she's asian based on her character design. Her eyes, in particular, look unlike that of any of the other characters on the show.

tb4000

Honestly, this being a Canadian show, the races are pretty much ambiguous all across the map, and they rarely bring it up. Everybody does it with everybody up there, so the kids are probably bi-racial at some point, but it's vague.

Staffa

Heather IS Asian, so is Duncan (even though their parents are white - that was CN)

Justin - Hawaiian
Noah - Indian
Katie - Malaysian
Courtney - Hispanic
Chef, DJ and Leshawna - African Canadian

Everyone else is plain old white bread - and that's the truth yo.

Bakasama

Heather IS Asian, so is Duncan (even though their parents are white - that was CN)

Courtney - Hispanic

I thought she was a Metis, Canada's version of the Mezisto. Her being Hispainic is bit weird considering the largest Latin group in Canada is Quebecers of French descent

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
I think Katie is more Asian-looking than Heather.

Katie, Asian? Not with that tan skin. Since there are only 3 actual races (Africans, Asians and Caucasians--Latinos are a mixture of all 3), I still contend that Katie might be a Pacific islander, because Pacific Islanders are just Asians who emigrated to the Pacific Islands.

Old Guy

Courtney - Hispanic

Yet her name is Courtney? I'm Hispanic and I don't know a single Hispanic named Courtney. It's such a white girl name. Then again...things are probably different in Canada. :confused:

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
I think Katie is more Asian-looking than Heather.

Blackstar said:
Katie, Asian? Not with that tan skin.

Yeah, are you sure you don't mean Sadie? I once suspected that Sadie might be Asian because of the shape of her eyes, but upon reflection I think it's just that her cheeks are so fat that they just make her eyes look like they're slanted. In any event, I think Sadie's just straight Caucasian, and Katie is most likely Malaysian or of Pacific Island descent.

Bakasama

Katie, Asian? Not with that tan skin. Since there are only 3 actual races (Africans, Asians and Caucasians--Latinos are a mixture of all 3), I still contend that Katie might be a Pacific islander, because Pacific Islanders are just Asians who emigrated to the Pacific Islands.

Dude, I'm asian and I got brown skin. Most East asians I know of tend to have light skin and slanted eyes. South East Asians, tend to have darker skin and rounder eyes. Pacific Islanders, have even darker skin and round eyes.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
Dude, I'm asian and I got brown skin. Most East asians I know of tend to have light skin and slanted eyes. South East Asians, tend to have darker skin and rounder eyes. Pacific Islanders, have even darker skin and round eyes.

But how many brown skinned Asians have you seen in cartoons? Most animated Asians either have yellow or pale white skin. I'm not saying that katie is definitely not Asian, it just seems unlikely to me. However, if Katie is a Pacific Islander, than she is technically Asian, as Pacific Islanders are just Asians who emigrated to the Pacific Islands.

The Overlord

Yet her name is Courtney? I'm Hispanic and I don't know a single Hispanic named Courtney. It's such a white girl name. Then again...things are probably different in Canada. :confused:

The main difference is there are far fewer Hispanics in Canada then there are in the US, which is why I think Courtney is Metis. There are far Metis in Canada then Hispanics.

But how many brown skinned Asians have you seen in cartoons? Most animated Asians either have yellow or pale white skin. I'm not saying that katie is definitely not Asian, it just seems unlikely to me. However, if Katie is a Pacific Islander, than she is technically Asian, as Pacific Islanders are just Asians who emigrated to the Pacific Islands.

Filipinos have darker skin.

Bakasama

Khan in King of the Hill. We're deal with America where Japan=China=Asia nevermind that the rest of Asia gets confused with being Japanese or Chinese.

I've been called Japanese, Chinese, and Mexican alot and it's pretty annoying. I'm Filipino dahmmit! :p

About Pacific Islanders, you're telling me that a Samoan looks like a Korean? Okay....

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
Khan in King of the Hill. We're deal with America where Japan=China=Asia nevermind that the rest of Asia gets confused with being Japanese or Chinese.

I've been called Japanese, Chinese, and Mexican alot and it's pretty annoying. I'm Filipino dahmmit! :p

About Pacific Islanders, you're telling me that a Samoan looks like a Korean? Okay....

No, I'm not telling you that at all. If you can find where I said that Samoans and Koreans looked alike I'll pay you 100 virtual dollars. I merely pointed out that Pacific Islanders originally came from Asia, therefore, racially speaking, they are Asians. That's all. Koreans and Samoans are nationalities, not races.

Quite frankly, I don't really care what race Katie is. She's a cutie regardless whether she's Asian or not. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Dudley

Staff member
When watching this show, even though I'm curious as to why some of the characters have dark-skinned, I usually pay no mind to what race they are.
And I don't think anyone else should either.
What we do know for a fact, is that Leshawna is black, and she has referred to Katie and Sadie as "white girls".
And DJ's from Jamaica, so...yeah.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts