"Tangled: The Series" Talkback (Spoilers)

Tommy Lawson

Staff member
This news is a bit surprising. Disney feels Tangled is worth creating a new animated show for on Disney Channel. I thought Disney was not going to make anything new from Tangled at all following a certain movie about ice and snow. I'm waiting for the Toonzone news update to provide a press release link to it here in this thread, but news about it should be easy to find elsewhere.

UPDATED: Here's the link

Last edited by a moderator:

Dudley

Staff member
I'm not only surprised that they're doing a Tangled series, but I'm more surprised that they picked Tangled over Wreck-It Ralph, Big Hero 6, or Frozen.

Trombone77

This is...interesting. I did enjoy the movie, so I'm not really appalled at the idea, but I really hope this isn't the start of a long line of Disney reviving movies into sequels and series. Or maybe I'm fine with that, but I hope the sequels and series are made with similar top-notch quality compared to the films.

As for direction, the premise doesn't look bad, but I wonder why they wanted it to take place before the wedding. Couldn't Rapunzel be a wedded princess and explore her surroundings? Also, I guess we will also get voices for the parents as well (maybe Maurice Lamarche for the King). The art style also looks pretty nice, similar to how Frozen appeared before they settled on CGI.

With all this said, I wonder what network it will air on: Disney Junior or Disney XD?

DeanBurrito25

Well, this is a pleasant surprise. Nice to see another Disney property other than Frozen get some publicity. When was the last time a movie in the Disney Animated Canon got a spinoff series? Lilo and Stitch?

From the sound of Jerry Beck's blog, this series will air on Disney Channel proper (as opposed to XD) and will take place somewhere in between the movie and "Tangled Ever After". A significant portion of the creative talent from the movie will be working on the series - even Mandy More and Zachary Levi will be replacing their roles as Rapunzel and Eugene, to boot! To put the icing on the cake, Glen Keane's daughter Claire Kane will be serving as a development consultant, so this show already has a lot going for it.

Disney also uploaded a preview image of the series on its Twitter account. The art style looks adorable.

y12HtFR.jpg

Whimsical Crank

Sensible to a Slight Degree
Hey, anything that makes the Disney Channel more than just tweencoms (especially if it's a new animated series) is a plus in my book. This has got to be the first movie-based TV series Disney has done in a long time. That being said, I'm going to be cautiously optimistic, since the past movie based shows Disney has done weren't exactly masterpieces in my eyes, though they were never terrible.

As for sources, I'm using a mobile device, so all I can say is type this on google, you'll see articles mentioning this.

EDIT: ^ Original main cast for the show huh? That's another plus!

ToonJay723

Staff member
Intresting. Disney hasn't made a TV Show based on their movies since Lilo & Stitch. I hope the show is actually based on the movie, and not just a random show with the characters like Hercules and The Emporor's New School.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Here is the FULL press release:

"TANGLED" ANIMATED TV SERIES, BASED ON WALT DISNEY ANIMATION STUDIOS' ACCLAIMED FEATURE FILM, BEGINS PRODUCTION FOR 2017 PREMIERE ON DISNEY CHANNEL

Mandy Moore and Zachary Levi to Reprise their Roles

Series to Feature Music by Academy Award-Winning Disney Legend
Alan Menken

"Tangled," an animated series for kids, tween and families, based on Walt Disney Animation Studios' acclaimed feature film, has begun production with Mandy Moore and Zachary Levi reprising their roles as Rapunzel and Eugene (also known as Flynn Rider). The series will premiere in 2017 on Disney Channels around the world. It was announced today by Gary Marsh, President and Chief Creative Officer, Disney Channels Worldwide. It will also reunite Disney Legend and Academy Award-winning composer Alan Menken and lyricist Glenn Slater.

Produced by Disney Television Animation, the series was developed by animation veterans Chris Sonnenburg (Disney's "Enchanted") and Shane Prigmore ("The Lego Movie").

Marsh said, "The genius of the original movie was its seamless blending of cinematic adventure, character-driven comedy and touching emotion. And we are fortunate to have several of the creative talent from that movie on board with this new production. With the addition of Chris and Shane as Executive Producers, we have the perfect team in place to create a series worthy of the original film."

Set between the events of the feature film and the start of the 2012 short film, "Tangled Ever After," the animated series unfolds as Rapunzel acquaints herself with her parents, her kingdom and the people of Corona. Her irrepressible spirit and natural curiosity about the world drives her to the realization that there is so much more she needs to learn before she can truly accept her royal destiny. She boldly puts her crown and impending marriage on hold to seek out epic adventures, much to the dismay of the King who, after missing out on Rapunzel's youth, must accept that his daughter is now an independent young woman. Accompanying Rapunzel on her journey will be Eugene; the plucky chameleon sidekick, Pascal; the no-nonsense horse, Maximus; the Snuggly Duckling Pub Thugs; and newcomer Cassandra, a tough-as-nails handmaiden, who becomes Rapunzel's confidant.

In 2012, Disney Channel presented the "Tangled Ever After" short, which delivered 5.0 million Total Viewers, 2.6 million Kids 2-11 and 1.4 million Adults 18-49.

Sonnenburg is the executive producer and supervising director and Prigmore is co-executive producer and creative director. Jase Ricci ("Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles") is story editor. Celebrated artist Claire Keane ("Frozen," "Tangled"), daughter of Disney Legend Glen Keane, who was animation supervisor on the feature film, consulted on development of the series. Emmy Award-winning Kevin Kliesch ("Tangled Ever After") will serve as score composer.

Here is the good news to take away from this. Mandy Moore back as Rapunzel. Zachary Levi back as Flynn Rider/Eugene. Alan Menken will apparently be doing some music for the show. Maybe he will compose a theme song or opening title sequence, while Kliesch will do the music for the show.

PhineasPines

It seems that you guys forgot about The Emperor's New School was the last animated series based on a Disney animated movie. As for this new series, I can totally see Disney Channel being the home of animated series based on their movies while Disney XD provides the other toons. I think its astonishing that Disney already has 3 animated series planned for 2017 (not including Disney Junior series). I know this year has been pretty packed with the premiere of Penn Zero, Star Vs. the Forces of Evil, Future-Worm and Pickle and Peanut. This just makes me wonder if they have any plans for animated series in 2016.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
Great news as Tangled happened to be the last Disney Princess movie I enjoyed.
An even bigger plus is that much of the movie's creative talent are back for this show.

Wreck-It-Ralph or to a lesser extent, BH6, should, for sure, spinoff to the small screen.

Didn't know there was an image. Black short hair or else it won't make sense.
She still has her healing abilities via her tears...and I'm assuming her saliva and other liquid waste products.
She can perspire and use that to heal people. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

jfoley85

It seems that you guys forgot about The Emperor's New School was the last animated series based on a Disney animated movie. As for this new series, I can totally see Disney Channel being the home of animated series based on their movies while Disney XD provides the other toons. I think its astonishing that Disney already has 3 animated series planned for 2017 (not including Disney Junior series). I know this year has been pretty packed with the premiere of Penn Zero, Star Vs. the Forces of Evil, Future-Worm and Pickle and Peanut. This just makes me wonder if they have any plans for animated series in 2016.

Disney sure seems to be getting into the Toon game more recently. This is great news ! I agree 3 animated series for 2017 is astonishing. Makes me wonder about what direction they are taking? I like it though.

ShadowBeast

Kind of strange that her hair is back to blonde especially if it takes place before the wedding, now if it was after the wedding I can imagine her hair magically turning blonde again from whether it be her hair regaining it's powers with her hair regrowing back to length or something else. I liked it better when her hair was blonde anyway, but I hope we get an explanation on why blonde again.

Light Lucario

Staff member
This sounds pretty awesome. I really enjoyed Tangled, more so than I did with Frozen I think, so seeing it getting a new series in itself is great news. The creative team they have for it and bringing back the voice actors for the main leads are also good signs. Even though Rapunzel's hair yellow, I would hope that they provide an explanation for it, especially when Eugene cutting her hair was a powerful moment in the film.

The fact that they have it set between the movie and Tangled Ever After does give me hope that the TV series won't just ignore everything that happened in the movie. That was one of my problems with The Emperor's New School. Other TV series based off animated movies have had that problem too when continuity isn't considered at all with the premise, but it doesn't sound like that it's too likely to be a problem here. It sounds great and I'm definitely going to be keeping an eye out for this series.

Interesting. I'd have assumed that Frozen-mania would have left Tangled completely buried.

Intresting. Disney hasn't made a TV Show based on their movies since Lilo & Stitch. I hope the show is actually based on the movie, and not just a random show with the characters like Hercules and The Emporor's New School.

How was Hercules just a random show with the characters? It actually was set in a specific point during the movie's timeline. Granted, continuity wasn't always airtight, but it was still more closely aligned with its respective movie than were spin-offs like Timon and Pumbaa and 101 Dalmatians.

Gatordragon

A jester is you!
Hmm, I didn't think Tangled was all that great, but I shan't judge this upcoming cartoon until I see a trailer or something.

I'm not only surprised that they're doing a Tangled series, but I'm more surprised that they picked Tangled over Wreck-It Ralph, Big Hero 6, or Frozen.

I would especially be thrilled if Wreck-It Ralph or Big Hero 6 were turned into series.

ToonJay723

Staff member
I don't see how they would turn Wreck-It Ralph into a TV show, since it would be expensive to get video game characters on a television budget. A Big Hero 6 show can work, but it should be done by DTA, and not Marvel Animation. As for Frozen, I think it should take place before Anna forgets out her sister's powers.

CoolEric158

She rocks both ways.
So Rapunzel's hair is long and blonde again? I'm confused, but I guess they'll explain it. It seems to be more Aladdin-esque, so I'm sure the series could be fun. But I'm not really sure why this got a series since the story's pretty self-contained nor is it that interesting of a world compared to Big Hero 6 or Wreck-it-Ralph. Bah, whatever.

I don't see how they would turn Wreck-It Ralph into a TV show, since it would be expensive to get video game characters on a television budget.

I suspect that a Wreck-It-Ralph TV show would consist entirely of original video game characters, much as the licensed toys were absent from the Toy Story Treats TV shorts.

It's not as if the licensed video game characters were particularly integral to the story in the film, they were mostly just little in-jokes and extras.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Set around the world, a swashbuckling hero engaged to a warrior princess having adventures together....I like what I'm hearing. If they do this right, they could bring back the glory days of the Aladdin TV series.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts